gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 06:59:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has Mike ever commented on "Summer In Paradise?"  (Read 17777 times)
Synthesiser Patel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2012, 09:43:59 AM »

It's all about expectations really isn't it?  SIP was about as much (or as little) as anyone might realistically have expected from Carl, Mike, Al and Bruce at that particular point in their career. 

On the other hand, a not insignificant proportion of Brian's post-1988 output has been considerably below my personal expectations.  For example, to my ears there are at least as many absolute clunkers on GIOMH as there are on SIP.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2012, 10:27:11 AM »

About half the tracks on it are tripe, the others range from acceptable to pretty good. Yes it's fun to bash but let's face it - there are much worse albums out there.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Forshorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2012, 10:30:59 AM »

I truly like "One Summer Night."

"Island Fever" would be okay if it weren't for the lyrics. I think Mike wasn't really trying.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2012, 10:41:28 AM »

I truly like "One Summer Night."

It's nice. I wonder though why Bruce felt the need to re-write another person's song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT4LJxBBaF0

"Island Fever" would be okay if it weren't for the lyrics. I think Mike wasn't really trying.

Allegedly he was trying for the new album and came up with "Spring vacation" and "Beaches in mind", so I don't know if he really wasn't for SIP/Island fever

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Forshorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2012, 10:52:21 AM »

Maybe he's lost it. In my opinion, Mike was a hell of a lyricist back in the day: the "alliterative Chuck Berry thing" he talks about.

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2012, 11:17:12 AM »

Maybe he's lost it. In my opinion, Mike was a hell of a lyricist back in the day: the "alliterative Chuck Berry thing" he talks about.

Yeah.. i mean, even when you look at the lyrics he comes up with these days, as much as people want to defend Mike Love and what he stands for, Spring Vacation isn't the best thing he ever did.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2012, 11:23:48 AM »

I'll admit that I don't know the true stories surrounding the recording of Summer In Paradise, like who was invited, who was asked to leave, who stayed away, etc. But, I don't lay all the blame at Mike's feet.

This WAS a Beach Boys' album and they - The Beach Boys - were under contract to record an album. Mike Love (with Terry Melcher) more than carried his load. IMO he contributed 5 good to very good songs: "Lahaina Aloha", "Strange Things Happen", "Still Surfin", "Island Fever", and the title track. I mean, how much more could you expect from the guy?

If only Brian could've been a Beach Boy and contributed some songs. Was he still getting checks every time the band performed live? I will always believe SIP had potential to be a fun, albeit lightweight, album. The real "light album". And, as far as production values go, I hear some SIP production on TWGMTR.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 11:26:25 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Forshorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2012, 11:39:49 AM »

[
It's nice. I wonder though why Bruce felt the need to re-write another person's song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT4LJxBBaF0

Well, that's very Bruce. He seems to have a lot of nostalgia for the '50s.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2012, 11:43:39 AM »

Okay, i officially can't deny it anymore:

I REALLY like Lahaina Aloha, it really is my big guilty pleasure ATM.

Over the years i've came to really understood what SIP is all about in the end, like Mike Love said it's all about doing the perfect summer soundtrack (of the 90's at least, cause their early hits were perfect summer hits) nothing more nothing less, it has a production that really aged, they used protools, etc.. but is it that BAD for what it is? sure it has terrible moments such as Summer In Paradise, but so does Still Cruisin', so what i mean is that, i can't even tell which one is worse!

What bothers me is the formula they used over almost every songs, they were like "oh snap, Kokomo got number one! we need to do bunch of songs like these!"
not only it was already that scenario for Still Cruisin', but they tried again on SIP.. it just gets old, the percussion intro, the use of accordion everywhere and all..
plus the guitar solos, i mean i kinda like that vibe, but doesn't seem to fit the Beach Boys music that much..

But Lahaina Aloha, man what a catchy tune.. it has the formula i hate of the album (which i already explained) plus the production (god that snare drum noise) but the verses are cool, and the chorus! Carl Wilson! he makes it sound just so beautiful, and the melody really stucks in your head you know.

Are you talking about the US version of that song? I only ever heard the European version, and that's pretty catchy and well sounding, actually my favorite of that album. The European liner notes seemingly feature the lyrics of the US version, as they are way different than what they sing on the record, and the printed lyrics do pretty much suck.

Does the European version have the verse that Bruce sings?  I've heard the US version on Youtube, and Bruce sings the last verse, which I really like.  Youtube also has the version with Roger McGuinn on 12-string and lead vocals on the 2nd verse.  That version sounds excellent (partially because the McGuinn rules), but at least on Youtube, it lacks Bruce's verse.  If I could get a version with McGuinn, but also with Bruce's verse, I'd call it a genuinely good song. 

I don't know, i think 3 verses is a bit too much (when there's nothing else happening, i mean no solid chorus or bridge or instrumental part or twist change or whatever) and the fact that it's Bruce singing the last one feels out of place, like, coming out of nowhere, letting Mike Love sings the first two verses then for unknown reasons Bruce comes in.. kinda odd.

Anyway, all i'm saying about this album is that Lahaina Aloha is really catchy and i love Carl's voice on it.. don't care much for the rest, plus production really aged.
Gohi
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2012, 12:36:17 PM »

I'll admit that I don't know the true stories surrounding the recording of Summer In Paradise, like who was invited, who was asked to leave, who stayed away, etc. But, I don't lay all the blame at Mike's feet.

This WAS a Beach Boys' album and they - The Beach Boys - were under contract to record an album. Mike Love (with Terry Melcher) more than carried his load. IMO he contributed 5 good to very good songs: "Lahaina Aloha", "Strange Things Happen", "Still Surfin", "Island Fever", and the title track. I mean, how much more could you expect from the guy?

If only Brian could've been a Beach Boy and contributed some songs. Was he still getting checks every time the band performed live? I will always believe SIP had potential to be a fun, albeit lightweight, album. The real "light album". And, as far as production values go, I hear some SIP production on TWGMTR.
You think the title track is good? God help you.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx