gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:55:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "That's Why God Made the Radio" lyric video (full official song on Youtube)  (Read 29492 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 08:26:05 AM »

Nice to hear it all at last. It's a pretty song. I guess if I was to compare it to their other material I'd put it on a par with my favourite stuff from MIU/LA/KTSA period - kind of guilty pleasure stuff I guess rather than classic Beach Boys, but I was expecting much worse to be honest.

I really cannot hear Mike which is a shame, but I do not have the 'dog ears' of some here. Mike higher in the mix would have been a bonus. Lovely to hear bruce so clearly though.

Christ, couldn't they have done a better lyric video though!?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:30:32 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 08:31:37 AM »

Really good tune!  I like the production, they sound great, good hook too. I expect more from the wilson originals, but this is a fine single
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 08:39:41 AM »

As what will (I presume) be their last ever single it's a far, far better way to go out than we had any right to expect given the horrors that came out in the 80s and 90s, but it is a shame the song that was so hyped up by everyone turned out to be so mediocre.

If this record is mediocre, then I hope and pray that the entire new album is mediocre too! Razz I'll be blasting this in my car this afternoon.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:17:11 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 08:43:26 AM »

Well its very nice - not GVs but I have to say the choruses and that vocals section from 2:23 onwards is simply amazing - it even has that PS fender bass in it

Cheers

Richard
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 08:44:13 AM »

I really cannot hear Mike which is a shame, but I do not have the 'dog ears' of some here. Mike higher in the mix would have been a bonus. Lovely to hear bruce so clearly though.

For goodness' sake, really? He sings lead on part of the song (first part of the a capella section)!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:47:02 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 08:48:53 AM »

I can only hear Mike from that point on.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 08:51:54 AM »

There are parts I don't quite like - Cavernous 80's drum breaks, a LOT of Foskett in the mid-range, a lot of the BB's themselves aren't clear due to doubling with others (if that fakedup recording session is any indication, Dave and Mike sing low parts together, which as my dog-ears aren't attuned to David is confusing), but there's a lot here which is cool! The song is lovely (not sure about that middle eight), Brian sounds amazing, as do Al, and Bruce! I might warm up to it. But it's too slick a production. Curse you, Joe Thomas.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2012, 08:55:06 AM »

There are parts I don't quite like - Cavernous 80's drum breaks, a LOT of Foskett in the mid-range, a lot of the BB's themselves aren't clear due to doubling with others (if that fakedup recording session is any indication, Dave and Mike sing low parts together, which as my dog-ears aren't attuned to David is confusing), but there's a lot here which is cool! The song is lovely (not sure about that middle eight), Brian sounds amazing, as do Al, and Bruce! I might warm up to it. But it's too slick a production. Curse you, Joe Thomas.

Except that it looks like Joe Thomas didn't produce it. According to the new Capitol press release, that is.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2012, 08:55:37 AM »

The only thing I don't like all too much production-wise is the bass.

I think the lyrics are terrible. I hope Brian wrote them, if this is the work of a so-called behind the scenes "professional" whoever it is should be fired.

"tuning in the latest star", what the fuck does that even mean?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 08:58:39 AM »

You're tuning in your radio to hear a song from the latest recording star.
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2012, 08:59:52 AM »

I like it.  There are certain sections of the song that really pop.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 09:01:12 AM »

Yeah. Doesn't seem that confusing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 09:01:44 AM »

Except that it looks like Joe Thomas didn't produce it. According to the new Capitol press release, that is.

It damn well sounds like it, though.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 09:03:54 AM »

I like how they are deleting comments about the poor quality of the video. It's really shameful that a professional company would produce that -- I wonder what they billed Capitol for that?

The song's not bad. I thought I didn't like it and yet here I am playing it all morning. A bit maudlin and syrupy, but um... it IS The Beach Boys, right?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:08:33 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Paulos
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 09:07:29 AM »

I really don't care what everyone else thinks as I love it, brought a tear to my eye, thank you Beach Boys.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2012, 09:09:35 AM »

I guess that makes sense but it's still (to me) a dumb way of phrasing it.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2012, 09:10:31 AM »

I like how they are deleting comments about the poor quality of the video. It's really shameful that a professional company would produce that -- I wonder what they billed Capitol for that?

The song's not bad. I thought I didn't like it and yet here I am playing it all morning. A bit maudlin and syrupy, but um... it IS The Beach Boys, right?

The concept of the 'lyric video' is to gauge interest for the record company, in case they want to make a full proper one.

But yeah, it's like a ten year old made it in Flash yesterday afternoon.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2012, 09:16:37 AM »

Would "You're tuning in your radio to hear a song from the latest recording star" sound better?
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2012, 09:18:08 AM »

there are far more than five voices for most of this, and usually Foskett's the only one singing multiple different lines. It's actually very cleverly arranged and mixed, with band members swapping mid-word at times, presumably to allow them all to sing in the strongest ranges they have left.

I agree, and I think most of it sounds nothing like the BBs, and it seems to me that the whole point of using a recognisable BB voice to sing a certain line or half-line is to distract from this. I'd rather have a rougher harmony mix of the 5 BBs singing than a wall of smoothed-out Fosketts.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2012, 09:19:49 AM »

It damn well sounds like it, though.

I'll disagree with that, it doesn't sound like imagination at aaaaall
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2012, 09:20:21 AM »

Would "You're tuning in your radio to hear a song from the latest recording star" sound better?

Why is that at all a sentiment that needs to be conveyed?

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2012, 09:23:38 AM »

Why is that at all a sentiment that needs to be conveyed?

Because people do that?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2012, 09:27:40 AM »

Besides, it's a purposefully poetic way of phrasing it. And the purpose wasn't just to shorten the statement. Upon hearing the line for the first time I had to think of a guy hanging around in his car under the starry night sky, just sitting there and turning on his radio. While the song plays, he's looking at the stars, or at a particular one. He's "tuning in the latest star", twofold. By thus ambiguously phrasing the line there might be all kinds of meanings to "tuning in the latest star". "Star" might also, in a less abstract way, refer not to the artist but a certain tune. Something you can connect to on an emotional level, yearning for something, just like looking at the stars. "Please Let Me Wonder" comes to (my) mind.

But I'm rambling....  Grin Just wanted to advocate that particular line.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:28:51 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2012, 09:27:59 AM »

Some parts of it (the bass for example) do sound reminiscent of the sound on Imagination. IMO

Some of the lyrics are wonderful - "receiving your signal like a prayer" sounds like something 1966 Brian and Van Dyke would have come up with.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2012, 09:28:18 AM »

I like it. Yeah, it's imagination-esque, but my main problems with that album(covering classics for no reason, that nylon guitar) are not here
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx