gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:36:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The First Gig: Anselmo Valencia Ampitheater Tucson, AZ 4/24/12 (SETLIST/REVIEWS)  (Read 197973 times)
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: April 25, 2012, 12:01:16 AM »

[/quote]

Brian just wants out
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 25, 2012, 12:04:32 AM »

"All This Is That"

Thud

Hot damn.  That right there is the song I desperately needed to hear on this tour.  YES!!  When I met Mike (and had that picture taken with him) I asked him how many songs they'd rehearse and he said about 40.  I said "can I request "All This Is That?"  His assistant said "Ohhh that's a beautiful song!" and Mike said to me, "You like that one, eh?"  

I don't care if it's a coincidence...I'm going to think he added it to the set because of my suggestion!  And that's that.  This is that, that is.

It is quite a fantastic song but the Carl parts are going to be tricky.  I understand Mike and Bruce have done it before, I wonder how they handled that beautiful, really, super, "columnated ruins' high falsetto part Carl did towards the end on the original?  I've never heard any of the backup guys sing quite THAT high.  BTW, if anybody's reading this, anybody care to take a stab at what that note actually is?  The "Jaiiii......  guru dev" that he does after the last verse. 
Go back and read your comment a few times, closely. See anything glaringly incorrect?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: April 25, 2012, 12:06:05 AM »

"All This Is That"

Thud

Hot damn.  That right there is the song I desperately needed to hear on this tour.  YES!!  When I met Mike (and had that picture taken with him) I asked him how many songs they'd rehearse and he said about 40.  I said "can I request "All This Is That?"  His assistant said "Ohhh that's a beautiful song!" and Mike said to me, "You like that one, eh?"  

I don't care if it's a coincidence...I'm going to think he added it to the set because of my suggestion!  And that's that.  This is that, that is.

It is quite a fantastic song but the Carl parts are going to be tricky.  I understand Mike and Bruce have done it before, I wonder how they handled that beautiful, really, super, "columnated ruins' high falsetto part Carl did towards the end on the original?  I've never heard any of the backup guys sing quite THAT high.  BTW, if anybody's reading this, anybody care to take a stab at what that note actually is?  The "Jaiiii......  guru dev" that he does after the last verse. 

Just been Skyped by someone who was there - seems Brian took Carl's part for at least part of the song.

Also, I'm told Mikey D'Amico was playing bass and Brett was nowhere to be seen.  Shrug

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: April 25, 2012, 12:07:23 AM »

The setlist looks Ok, but not great.

Hi Phil.

Geez... now whenever somebody is not excited about something he's pulling a Phil?
It is ok to have different opinions!

Thanks man.

Of course all songs in the setlist are great, I love them all.
But the WOW-effect isnt' there for me. Not that it has to.
It's more or less exactly what I was expecting. Greatest Hits & few half-rarities.
Wouldn't it have been great if the 5 BB did a song like "Surfin'" alone, that would've been mindblowing for example.
But it doesn't matter, it's still great, fantastic, groovy.

@ABC: There's a board called Blueboard for people like you.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:08:21 AM by Jaspy » Logged

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 25, 2012, 12:07:55 AM »

Also, I'm told Mikey D'Amico was playing bass and Brett was nowhere to be seen.  Shrug

Bizarre!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: April 25, 2012, 12:13:41 AM »

The setlist looks Ok, but not great.

Hi Phil.

Geez... now whenever somebody is not excited about something he's pulling a Phil?
It is ok to have different opinions!

Thanks man.

Of course all songs in the setlist are great, I love them all.
But the WOW-effect isnt' there for me. Not that it has to.
It's more or less exactly what I was expecting. Greatest Hits & few half-rarities.
Wouldn't it have been great if the 5 BB did a song like "Surfin'" alone, that would've been mindblowing for example.
But it doesn't matter, it's still great, fantastic, groovy.

@ABC: There's a board called Blueboard for people like you.

SOH failure much ?  Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 25, 2012, 12:23:55 AM »

They look ecstatic

That's just their "kickin' ass" look.  They came to kick ass.  Mission accomplished. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 25, 2012, 12:25:48 AM »

"All This Is That"

Thud

Go back and read your comment a few times, closely. See anything glaringly incorrect?

No I don't... enlighten me, please. 
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 25, 2012, 12:31:37 AM »

We´re talking about "All this and that". The "columnated ruins'  is in "Surf´s up"
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: April 25, 2012, 12:32:02 AM »

Brian just wants out
[/quote]

Yeah, it sure looks that way.  Here's hoping he makes it through for the entire tour.  At least he'll hopefully be there for Atlanta.  :-)

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 25, 2012, 12:33:19 AM »

We´re talking about "All this and that". The "columnated ruins'  is in "Surf´s up"

I think Ron was simply using the lyric from "Surf's Up" as a reference for Carl's high vocal which he does in the outro during "All This Is That" as well. 
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 25, 2012, 12:34:45 AM »

Brian just wants out

Yeah, it sure looks that way.  Here's hoping he makes it through for the entire tour.  At least he'll hopefully be there for Atlanta.  :-)

Well Brian was always one to exit the stage early.  Even when he toured solo.  I wouldn't put much into it here.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 25, 2012, 12:35:44 AM »

Justin; thank you for restoring my faith in humanity.  LOL  Although I believe Brian did it on Surf's up, but yes that's what I was alluding to. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:36:39 AM by Ron » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 25, 2012, 12:41:12 AM »

Brian just wants out
[/quote]

Earlier somebody was talking about "Brian Doesn't Care" and laughing about it, suggesting that it was funny...  And Wirestone or somebody was asking wtf because he obviously does, since he spent so much effort trying to sing well. 

This picture shows exactly what the guy was talking about.  Brian, like a lot of geniuses (and I do believe he's a musical genius) has problems understanding social ettiquette sometimes.  He doesn't mean anything by it, it's just for the life of him he can't figure out why the hell he's supposed to stand out there and bow for exactly 4 minutes instead of 3 minutes. 
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 25, 2012, 12:41:42 AM »

Reading all this makes me so upset that no UK dates have been announced yet but so happy that it seems to have been a success. I am also relieved that they gave Carl and Dennis a fitting tribute and that must have been emotional. They would have loved to have been there.

I hope there are plenty of videos, pictures and stories as I will enjoy looking at them all!

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 25, 2012, 12:42:24 AM »

Signing off for the night. I'm very pleased. This setlist really hits a sweet spot for me, and is better than I expected. They got the big things right -- good mix of songs, rehearsal -- and the little things -- that white piano!

I look forward to following (and hopefully hearing) this in the next couple of days.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 25, 2012, 12:43:31 AM »

Justin; thank you for restoring my faith in humanity.  LOL  Although I believe Brian did it on Surf's up, but yes that's what I was alluding to. 

I do what I can  Cool

I'm off to bed...good night to all.  It was a fun evening and I hope to wake up to find a gaggle of videos and reviews waiting for me in the morning!

God Bless The Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:44:27 AM by Justin » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 25, 2012, 12:45:49 AM »

I think Ron was simply using the lyric from "Surf's Up" as a reference for Carl's high vocal which he does in the outro during "All This Is That" as well. 
I realised that after I posted my comment. I apologise. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything to begin with. I knew it was probably just a little slip. Andrew G Doe is right...sometimes a smiley or two comes in handy.  Grin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 25, 2012, 12:52:49 AM »

Does anybody know where Carl and Dennis's vocals came from? It would be awesome if they used previously unreleased concert tapes from the archives.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 25, 2012, 12:54:01 AM »

Absolutely great setlist!  It not only includes my top 3 all time favorite BB songs - Forever, God Only Knows, and Please Let Me Wonder, but also features This Whole World, You're So Good to Me, Disney Girls, Wendy, Cottonfields, etc, etc.  Really looking forward to their Southern Calif appearances.
MBE
« Reply #320 on: April 25, 2012, 01:01:20 AM »

Every non seasonal pre 1976 LP is in there except Friends and Wild Honey. Pretty impressive.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 25, 2012, 01:20:36 AM »

Every non seasonal pre 1976 LP is in there except Friends and Wild Honey. Pretty impressive.

I'd love to hear stuff from these two, but damn - "Heroes And Villains"? "Forever" with a Dennis vocal? "The Little Girl I Once Knew"? "You're So Good To Me"? "Cottonfields"? "Please Let Me Wonder"? "Sail On Sailor"? "All This Is That"?

I just did not expect the likes of most of that stuff to appear in the setlist, and that's just the bigger ones. Pretty cool.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 25, 2012, 01:25:44 AM »

Just got home from the show. I've glanced through the previous posts & will try to add something new. If I missed it & it's old, sorry!

Merchandise- Saw a couple of pics of shirts on an earlier page. There were several available. I think all were in the $35-40 range. The one I bought was made in Honduras. I didn't spend too much time at the stand but also saw some hats & the usual other junk like key chains. The tour program is a pricey $25.00, but it's big (about 12''x12") & roughly 40 pages. It's arranged chronologically by decade & is almost entirely graphic... I only saw one page of text.

Soundcheck... Scott Totten is CLEARLY in charge. No division of duties or power with Jeffrey at all. He's the one giving direction on stage, too. However, I did hear someone say "Brian's had enough" & the soundcheck abruptly ended.  Brian, by the way, was walking with a noticeable limp. He was way behind the others leaving the stage at intermission and held tightly by someone (couldn't see who) when the band returned to the stage for the encore. I thought he sounded dreadful during the soundcheck, but just fine during the show. Maybe just bored by rehearsing?

Introduction of the band... In a word, none. No "America's band, the Beach Boys", or any type of announcement. The backing band came out & immediately started playing the intro of "DIA", & then the Beach Boys followed. The start of the show was similar to the old days when the band would rattle off 5 or 6 songs without comment. Tonight it was different songs & only four, but they showed up ready to work.

During Dennis' video portion when the band wasn't playing,  I saw Al , who was watching the video same as the audience & had his back turned to us, raise his water bottle in a definite toast to Dennis. A very nice gesture. Mike was somber during both videos. The audio portion wasn't quite as clear as it might have been, but overall, I thought both tributes were done very tastefully.

Overall, I thought it was a terrific show. I envy those of you who are still awaiting your turn & am sorry for those of you who might not get a chance to see our amazing band.  
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 25, 2012, 01:37:35 AM »

Just got home from the show. I've glanced through the previous posts & will try to add something new. If I missed it & it's old, sorry!

Merchandise- Saw a couple of pics of shirts on an earlier page. There were several available. I think all were in the $35-40 range. The one I bought was made in Honduras. I didn't spend too much time at the stand but also saw some hats & the usual other junk like key chains. The tour program is a pricey $25.00, but it's big (about 12''x12") & roughly 40 pages. It's arranged chronologically by decade & is almost entirely graphic... I only saw one page of text.

Soundcheck... Scott Totten is CLEARLY in charge. No division of duties or power with Jeffrey at all. He's the one giving direction on stage, too. However, I did hear someone say "Brian's had enough" & the soundcheck abruptly ended.  Brian, by the way, was walking with a noticeable limp. He was way behind the others leaving the stage at intermission and held tightly by someone (couldn't see who) when the band returned to the stage for the encore. I thought he sounded dreadful during the soundcheck, but just fine during the show. Maybe just bored by rehearsing?

Introduction of the band... In a word, none. No "America's band, the Beach Boys", or any type of announcement. The backing band came out & immediately started playing the intro of "DIA", & then the Beach Boys followed. The start of the show was similar to the old days when the band would rattle off 5 or 6 songs without comment. Tonight it was different songs & only four, but they showed up ready to work.

During Dennis' video portion when the band wasn't playing,  I saw Al , who was watching the video same as the audience & had his back turned to us, raise his water bottle in a definite toast to Dennis. A very nice gesture. Mike was somber during both videos. The audio portion wasn't quite as clear as it might have been, but overall, I thought both tributes were done very tastefully.

Overall, I thought it was a terrific show. I envy those of you who are still awaiting your turn & am sorry for those of you who might not get a chance to see our amazing band.  

I was sort of skeptical that the tour was really a good idea. I don't know, I felt like it wouldn't be real, that they wouldn't be the real Beach Boys that I care about on this tour. But now I feel a little better. How was the audience reaction during the show? Was there a lot of response from the crowd?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #324 on: April 25, 2012, 01:46:50 AM »

So no one taped it eh?

If they'd played the UK first, I'd have had the audio up for you by now.

Just saying Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx