gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 06:51:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The First Gig: Anselmo Valencia Ampitheater Tucson, AZ 4/24/12 (SETLIST/REVIEWS)  (Read 199208 times)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 24, 2012, 11:05:51 PM »

So any confirmation on who is in the backing band?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: April 24, 2012, 11:21:02 PM »

Shamelessly stolen from the Bloo:

Do It Again
Catch a Wave
Don’t Back Down
Safari
Surfer Girl – with a huge ovation for Brian’s lead vocal
Mike asks for requests
Little Girl I once Knew
Wendy – Dave Lead Vocal
Then I kissed Her
This Whole World
Mike Intro’s Brian to a standing ovation
Why Do Fools Fall In Love – incredible harmonies
When I Grow Up
Your so Good To Me – Great Brian Lead
Cottonfields –Al rocked it out
Mike referenced the Dodgers opening day appearance – says that when they started…they were the Brooklyn Dodgers ha ha ha
Be True to Your school
Disney Girls – Song of the night!!! Incredible harmonies
Please Let Me Wonder – Brian Lead..Bruce says” I Love You”
Don’t Worry baby – Jeff lead vocal
Little Honda – some GREAT dave surf guitar licks
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I get Around

Band takes a Break – 20 minutes

Sloop John B
Wouldn’t it be Nice
Forever – Dennis video vocal and band backs him up with Harmonies and music – really nice video trib with pix
Sail On Sailor – Great Brian vocal
Heroes and Vils – traditional version but with the SMiLE acapella ending
In My Room
All This Is That – Darian takes Carls part
God Only Knows – Same video trib as Dennis with Carls lead vocal and the band backs it up – Mike very emotional and says “Carl is with us tonight”
That’s Why God Made the Radio – Crowd LOVED it…very nice tune
California Dreaming
California Girls
Dance, Dance, Dance
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda
Do Ya Wanna Dance – Dave on lead vocal
Barbara Ann
Surfin’ USA

Encore
Kokomo
Good Vibes
Fun Fun Fun
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 11:22:41 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 24, 2012, 11:22:28 PM »

Final update from Manchini:

Ha yeah Mike did the "when" bit (he shortened it for sure!) and it was funny to watch BW stare blankly into space while he did so. Actually Brian transformed during intermission and came back with smiles and sweet karate chop hand gestures and cooks eating grits pantomiming during his lead vox. I was thankful everytime we were able to just hear him singing without being propped up because his voice has great character! Wish they (or he) would let it shine more. He ended "SoS" with a cool sustained note. The forever and GOK videos were very tasteful. Mike paid tribute before each song and it was very sweet. They actually played the track and sang harmonies over video and live leads from Dennis and Carl. Everybody I watched around me was gracious about these bits.

I'm just listening to people talk post concert. Everyone I've eavesdropped on enjoyed themselves. They think it was slow at first but that it picked up, and that Brian came back after intermission with more energy.

Anyhow, they smashed the 2nd half of the set. Don't know what else to say, I could go on with my commentary all night.  They did play that's why god made the radio, did it justice. I'd like to write more of my thoughts, and I will later, but if you have any questions let me know. Here's the remainder of the set list. I plan on adding who sang lead etc.

I'm not trying to over-dramatize the whole event, overall it was just really a blessing to see my favorite band reunited with good production value (lights, stage setting etc), an extensive setlist and everybody giving it their best effort and the outcome was - honestly - what I'd hoped it would be.

I f*cked something up in the post-intermission setlist. It's out of order somehow but I can't remember why. Anyway here it is:

Sloop
Wibn
In my rm
All this is that
Forever
Sail on sailor
Heroes and v
God only knows
That's why god...
Ca dreaming
Ca girls
Dance dance
All summer
Help me Rhonda
Rnr music
Do yu wanna dance
Barbara Ann
Surf USA
Kokomo
Good vibes
Fun fun fun

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:23:12 AM by Justin » Logged
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 24, 2012, 11:23:16 PM »

From PS:

The band was Jeff and Scott immediately up behind the boys and kind of co-musically directing. Nicky, Paul, Scotty, Darian, John Cowsill, Nelson, Brett, Probyn.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 24, 2012, 11:23:32 PM »

So that does it for me, folks.  Hope you all had a good time.  It was a magical night!

A big round of applause to Manchini for the set list updates and for coming in with the very first reviews of the night!  
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 11:40:33 PM by Justin » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: April 24, 2012, 11:25:13 PM »

"All This Is That"

Thud

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 24, 2012, 11:27:43 PM »

Great stuff

Can't wait for the vids...

I'm feeling worse than ever that I might not see this show

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: April 24, 2012, 11:28:46 PM »

weird, manchini says they played Rock and Roll Music but Andrew's post of the whole setlist doesn't mention it

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 24, 2012, 11:29:48 PM »

"All This Is That"

Thud

Hot damn.  That right there is the song I desperately needed to hear on this tour.  YES!!  When I met Mike (and had that picture taken with him) I asked him how many songs they'd rehearse and he said about 40.  I said "can I request "All This Is That?"  His assistant said "Ohhh that's a beautiful song!" and Mike said to me, "You like that one, eh?"  

I don't care if it's a coincidence...I'm going to think he added it to the set because of my suggestion!  And that's that.  This is that, that is.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: April 24, 2012, 11:31:14 PM »

weird, manchini says they played Rock and Roll Music but Andrew's post of the whole setlist doesn't mention it

Be hugely surprised if they didn't do that. The setlist will emerge in a few hours.

Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: April 24, 2012, 11:32:41 PM »

The setlist looks Ok, but not great.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 24, 2012, 11:34:39 PM »

Personally I think the setlist, and all the news from the show was fantastic, sounds like it was one hell of a party, wish I were there.  It's really cool to see these guys drop the b.s. and get back to doing what they're GREAT at.  We should all be so lucky to have such a calling in life!  These guys never have to wake up in the morning and wonder what their purpose is.  
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 24, 2012, 11:37:02 PM »

"All This Is That"

Thud

Hot damn.  That right there is the song I desperately needed to hear on this tour.  YES!!  When I met Mike (and had that picture taken with him) I asked him how many songs they'd rehearse and he said about 40.  I said "can I request "All This Is That?"  His assistant said "Ohhh that's a beautiful song!" and Mike said to me, "You like that one, eh?"  

I don't care if it's a coincidence...I'm going to think he added it to the set because of my suggestion!  And that's that.  This is that, that is.

It is quite a fantastic song but the Carl parts are going to be tricky.  I understand Mike and Bruce have done it before, I wonder how they handled that beautiful, really, super, "columnated ruins' high falsetto part Carl did towards the end on the original?  I've never heard any of the backup guys sing quite THAT high.  BTW, if anybody's reading this, anybody care to take a stab at what that note actually is?  The "Jaiiii......  guru dev" that he does after the last verse. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 24, 2012, 11:38:54 PM »

From PS:

The band was Jeff and Scott immediately up behind the boys and kind of co-musically directing. Nicky, Paul, Scotty, Darian, John Cowsill, Nelson, Brett, Probyn.

I'm pretty sure Mike D'Amico was there. He was in rehearsal pics with Al and Nelson, at least. So that would be the whole BW band, right, sans Taylor?
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 24, 2012, 11:39:11 PM »

Awesome setlist. I wonder how many will be rotated in and/or dropped in the upcoming weeks and months. June 3 can't come soon enough!!!

No mas, por favor.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 24, 2012, 11:42:34 PM »

"All This Is That"

Thud

It is quite a fantastic song but the Carl parts are going to be tricky.  I understand Mike and Bruce have done it before, I wonder how they handled that beautiful, really, super, "columnated ruins' high falsetto part Carl did towards the end on the original?  I've never heard any of the backup guys sing quite THAT high.  BTW, if anybody's reading this, anybody care to take a stab at what that note actually is?  The "Jaiiii......  guru dev" that he does after the last verse. 
That's just a C#. He goes up to a D on the repetitions.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 24, 2012, 11:45:59 PM »

Where all tha media at?

No mas, por favor.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 24, 2012, 11:46:28 PM »

And here we go:

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: April 24, 2012, 11:47:38 PM »

Hi Phil.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 24, 2012, 11:48:28 PM »

That's Mikey, right?

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 24, 2012, 11:50:49 PM »

Looks like, but might not be.  What would he do?  Two different drummers playing side by side?

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #296 on: April 24, 2012, 11:50:56 PM »

"Bruce isn't wearing shorts!"  Grin

But he is wearing the bloody cap!  Roll Eyes
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 24, 2012, 11:52:33 PM »

And here we go:

They look ecstatic

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 24, 2012, 11:54:16 PM »

Hi Phil.

Geez... now whenever somebody is not excited about something he's pulling a Phil?
It is ok to have different opinions!

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 24, 2012, 11:57:04 PM »

I was actually listening to the Glasgow 2004 Mike/Bruce show throughout the night and on came "All This Is That"...not sure if the line up was the same then as it was before this current tour but whoever did the falsetto (bass player?) did an ok job and hit the notes with no issue:

http://soundcloud.com/justin-sosa/all-this-is-that-glasgow-2004
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx