gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:46:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The First Gig: Anselmo Valencia Ampitheater Tucson, AZ 4/24/12 (SETLIST/REVIEWS)  (Read 197952 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: April 26, 2012, 08:05:31 AM »

Funny how some ppl say they can't hear any autotune or what else it is. Brian's voice sounds like it comes straight through some computer or vocoder.

What are you listening to this on?  LOL  
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 26, 2012, 08:14:20 AM »

Sorry about my request, the last thing I want is to jeopardize the future of this board. Embarrassed  It is my favorite place on the Internet/in the real world.

But seriously, some of the hardcore posters are intimidating as hell, and PMs out of the blue to some of these super-fans seem... intrusive and obnoxious. Then again, so is asking for it in threads.

Just want to say thank you to everybody for all of your opinions, facts, impressions, and willingness to share the BB love with complete strangers. I can't wait for my turn at a live show, I know I'll cry at some point (Forever). And I'll be excited to come here right afterward and post with a Beach Boys concert experience under my belt.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 26, 2012, 08:16:13 AM »

Don't be intimidated man, we all wake up and put our clothes on one leg at a time like you do.  Except for Andrew Doe.  He has this elaborate setup where his pants are hanging on suspenders, and a machine lifts him up into them.  Outside of that, we all put our pants on one leg at a time.  Smiley
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: April 26, 2012, 08:19:11 AM »

But seriously, some of the hardcore posters are intimidating as hell, and PMs out of the blue to some of these super-fans seem... intrusive and obnoxious. Then again, so is asking for it in threads.

I can understand where you are coming from but it is a fallacy though.  Most people here are "big teddy bears"  Wink when you get down to it even if outwardly it doesn't seem like it.  The one thing that I would advise is that you have built at least a reputation for being a contributor to the forum before randomly PM'ing people for stuff.  This is as much of a courtesy to the forum as it is making sure that you aren't someone looking to exploit the goodwill of the members of the forum.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
pmb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 26, 2012, 08:21:21 AM »

I guess one way of looking at the auto-tune on Brian is at least it is still live - perhaps not ideal, but live.

You'd be surprised, I do know of at least one well-known artist who clear lip-synches every single one of his concerts - now that really is something to be angry about, that really is being cheated to another level

Excellent setlist, and I'm really hoping that they are UK bound at some point soon!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:22:13 AM by pmb » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 26, 2012, 08:25:19 AM »

When I was a kid I remember seeing Michael Jackson lip syncing.  I thought it was so weird, then my dad explained to me that he dances so hard that he's probably winded constantly, and can't sing, AND dance.  So then I saw it as something cool.  Hell this guy works so hard he can't hardly talk, so he has to play a record so he can blow you away with his dancing!!! I thought it was awesome.  Then everybody started doing it and it got kind of lazy.

Even weirder is what a lot of rappers do.  They just play the single, then rap OVER it.  So everything's double tracked.  So strange to hear that. 
sheknowsmetoowell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 26, 2012, 08:34:27 AM »

Audio of God Only Knows and TWGMTR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rA46mECuM0
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 26, 2012, 08:43:44 AM »

It sounds pretty good for a concert!  Needs more Taylor, though.  LOL
amonomous
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #683 on: April 26, 2012, 08:45:54 AM »

I've never and will never understand people who go on forums (or anywhere for that matter) and brag and talk about what they have that everyone else wants. That's no fun. If I have something and can find anyone who loves the Beach Boys as much as me, I'm ecstatic to share, it's the people who couldn't care less but expect me to fall all over myself for their favorite James Blunt song or whatever that really bug me.. certainly not the ones who *want* to know more/hear more Beach Boys. /my little rant.

Don't take it personally amonomous, I'll try to explain for you.  

1.  Record companies don't like having copies of live shows floating around, ESPECIALLY if  they may release a cd/dvd of this tour in the near future.  The reason they don't like having the copies floating around, is because they feel it will hurt ticket sales if you can hear what happens at the show for free.  That's their opinion, whether or not it's valid can be argued both ways.

2.  In extreme instances, if a forum such as this one consistantly is posting material that is technically illegal (like a live concert recording)... the owners of that copyrighted material could do all kinds of nasty things, up to and including shutting down the site, or even bringing a lawsuit (that they may or may not win) against the OWNER of the forum.

3.  Capitol Records has people that read this board daily.  It's pretty much the biggest Beach Boys message board on the internet.

So as you can see, it's very important to the owner of this site that illegal concert recordings not be published here, even if it's just a link.  You may not agree that it's illegal or that it hurts sales or whatever, but Capitol Records holds all the cards and can make things very tough for the site owners if they wanted to be jerks about it.  

Agreed and understood, that was what prompted my rant, the fact that I tried to be discrete earlier and observe the etiquette but noticed everyone outright discussing it and asking for it publicly. Believe me, I understand.. :/
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 26, 2012, 08:51:49 AM »

Funny how some ppl say they can't hear any autotune or what else it is. Brian's voice sounds like it comes straight through some computer or vocoder.

a glass of Merlot and a little weed

What are you on?  LOL

(sorry, the devil made me do it)

Cool Guy

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 26, 2012, 08:57:30 AM »

a glass of Merlot and a little weed

What are you on?  LOL

(sorry, the devil made me do it)

Cool Guy

LOL I'm on Diet Pepsi, my vice of choice.  Merlot sounds good though, but only because of the way the 'low' is pronounced.  I just thought it was funny you were complaining Brian's voice sounded like it was coming through a computer.... while you were listening to it on your computer.  LOL
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #686 on: April 26, 2012, 09:00:58 AM »

Brian's voice sounds like it comes straight through some computer or vocoder.

Why not? Brian embraced the Theremin, then later, Moogs and other synths. It's their cool new/retro Cyberpunk-sound. I like Robo-Brian:

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 26, 2012, 09:07:59 AM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 26, 2012, 09:17:58 AM »

Oh man. Al getting attacked by a goat in one thread and Robo-Brian in another. This day just can't get any better.  LOL
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 26, 2012, 09:20:24 AM »

Brian's voice sounds like it comes straight through some computer or vocoder.

Why not? Brian embraced the Theremin, then later, Moogs and other synths. It's their cool new/retro Cyberpunk-sound. I like Robo-Brian:

Does robo-Brian sing 1964 style falsetto. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SG7
« Reply #690 on: April 26, 2012, 09:20:56 AM »

Oh man. Al getting attacked by a goat in one thread and Robo-Brian in another. This day just can't get any better.  LOL

I thought the goat was high fiving Al  LOL
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: April 26, 2012, 09:21:53 AM »

I thought the goat was high fiving Al  LOL

Even better!  LOL
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: April 26, 2012, 09:22:03 AM »

Does robo-Brian sing 1964 style falsetto. Grin
[/quote]

Haha. If that was the trade off, I might be willing to accept Robo Brian.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: April 26, 2012, 09:48:48 AM »

Sling me a PM anyone?

Ta!

J

The Prime Minister is a little chaps in striped trousers

Cheers

Richard
CoolWater
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: April 26, 2012, 09:50:35 AM »

I'm a long time lurker on the board, but I don't Post Much. I'd be oh-so-appreciative if someone would Pity Me, and drop me a line andPlease Message me.
amonomous
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #695 on: April 26, 2012, 10:00:03 AM »

Some thoughts: digging the huge drums on "Forever" (and the whole rendition in general, I absolutely love it) but found Mike's intro of Dennis as "uh..Brian's brother Dennis.." as opposed to "my cousin Dennis" or simply "Dennis" a bit strange but that's really nitpicking Razz

Brian does indeed have WAY too much pitch correction on his vocals and I pray they are recording a dry signal of his performances without these effects so the historical record of this period of the band isn't compromised forever like some people have said. As another person said last night, they're really lucky the press didn't jump all over that (kind of like the, was it GMA? performance a while back where "the beach boys lip synch" accusations were making the news, though of course they weren't) :/ Also, the parts that really made me cringe were when he'd hold notes like we never thought he'd be able to do again at one point, sounding absolutely FINE and on point, inspired even...but the damn autotune goes off tune in the middle of his note the way a guitar synthesizer will "croak" in the middle of notes like a kid going through puberty. Its infuriating because you can hear him singing and belting very well behind* the effects but the effects themselves make it sound bizarre. I did find someone's "B-Pain" nickname quite amusing though. Razz I really hope they don't do that to his voice when I see them, I've never seen Brian, only Mike&Bruce and I'm really looking forward to seeing him perform.

"Don't Back Down"  Shocked

Mike sounds really good, pretty much how he sounded when I saw him over a decade ago, now why he almost never sounds like that for tv performances I don't quite understand but it's like trying to convince people that Axl Rose sounded really good when I saw him in `06, everyone remembers that awful VMA performance from.. 2002 I think it was? That stigma never went away. My older brother appreciates the Beach Boys but he, to this day, thinks the "Beach Boys suck live" because of that damned Full House performance of Kokomo and Barbara Ann. I can't wait to see his reaction (he's going too) to the way they actually sound live.

I have so much more to say on this but don't have the times etc to reference things but I'll post this anyway since I made a start at it  Cool Really I'm very pleased with the presentation..I've never cared if they had a surfboard on stage etc, they're the Beach Boys, it would be weird if they DIDN'T have hawaiin shirts and yellow or white trousers and such, that's the band, quirks and all that I've loved since childhood and grew up watching and that's who I want to see live, not some revamped cool and hip version for the kids who only listen to Pet Sounds/SMiLE and expect to see 5 clones of Dennis in his prime on stage or something..I really don't know what a lot of these people expect or want, but it sure doesn't sound like they really want the actual band at times..speaking more in terms of youtubers here lol

They seem to have found a great balance that works for the lineup they have and also found a way to present this as something truly special with class and still keep it feeling like a proper Beach Boys show with excitement and energy as opposed to what some of us were fearing I think: That this would be akin to some of the more recent Monkees performances where they basically just stand up front with mics and phone it in in the most vegas-y, cheesy way possible while anonymous people play the music. I love the Monkees too but have never felt compelled to see them live for that very reason. This feels like 5 legends (and yes a small army of friends) showing the world they still have it and can PERFORM these songs, as opposed to a glorified karaoke show. I'm loving this and I can't help but think "it's too bad they couldn't have done this earlier" but better late than never and I'm happy with nearly everything about this other than the autotune on Brian (at times it sounds as though he's holding back or fighting his delivery to keep the damned thing from glitching mid-note, like he's having to adapt his perfectly good, natural delivery to suit the machine as opposed to the other way around..does that make sense or stand out to anyone else?) and I especially love the Dennis and Carl tributes.

Oh my.. The wonders (or horrors) of touch-typing. Razz
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: April 26, 2012, 10:01:30 AM »

Listening to that UTube link - none of the main vocals are exactly on it and the drumming is a little over the top IMHO

Cheers

Richard
Jarethon
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: April 26, 2012, 10:12:15 AM »

I can understand where you are coming from but it is a fallacy though.  Most people here are "big teddy bears"  Wink when you get down to it even if outwardly it doesn't seem like it.  The one thing that I would advise is that you have built at least a reputation for being a contributor to the forum before randomly PM'ing people for stuff.  This is as much of a courtesy to the forum as it is making sure that you aren't someone looking to exploit the goodwill of the members rdregof the forum.

This is my quandary and why I didn't pick a random name to PM. I don't post much and never will. I read the board regularly because I love the band and I enjoy the discussions, but I rarely feel the need to post. I hardly see why the number of posts should influence a fellow fan in asking to hear something everyone is already talking about.

And in my opinion, goodwill only applies to the source. If everyone else here is so concerned about secrecy or pissed off at all the requests, why talk about it at all? As I said before, I come here for the news and conversation, not the sweet hook-ups. Trust me, I would much rather get it from one of those evil sites-that-shall-not-be-named than trying to get in good with the cool kids.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: April 26, 2012, 10:20:37 AM »

Audio of God Only Knows and TWGMTR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rA46mECuM0

Great to include Carl's vocals...He is still an indispensable force in the band.  Smiley
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: April 26, 2012, 10:24:47 AM »

Tis true. Lots of people also can do it competently. Maybe they'll cut it out. I am just honestly stunned they did it here.

Eh. It's the competent part I care about. If they can do it well and subtly, fine. If not, boot it.

Argh. I enjoy your posts, don't think I'm attacking you, but why even condone it being done subtly? Autotune has absolutely no place in a f*cking live show. None. It's as if they read fan concern over Jeff doubling Brian and thought autotuning him into oblivion would be acceptable as hay, it's still Brian.

I hate to rant about something as great as a Beach Boys reunion tour, but autotune just has no place in live performances, especially by a band like the Beach Boys. At his absolute worst of live performances of the last ten years or so, he's still sounded passable, and it's never been "bad" for an entire performance (that I've seen). This whole "Brian clearly can't sing, we have to ensure that it sounds like he's still as good as he was in '65" sentiment from his camp needs to end already - it's a huge slap in the face to Brian's talents, Brian as a human being, and fans who pay for these tickets and recordings.

WHAT HE SAID

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx