gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:57:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The First Gig: Anselmo Valencia Ampitheater Tucson, AZ 4/24/12 (SETLIST/REVIEWS)  (Read 199159 times)
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 26, 2012, 04:30:34 AM »

Despite numerous temptations, I've never asked for a PM before because of my newbie status and outright fear of some of the other posters. But foda it. Please? May I listen too? I promise I won't complaint about ANYTHING.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 04:31:58 AM by MarcellaHasDirtyFeet » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 26, 2012, 04:50:13 AM »

Just my two cents.  I don't hear it either.  I hear doubling, etc. and a (valued and much appreciated) recording of shitty quality but I don't hear autotune.  Not surprsing since runnersdialzero and I rarely seem to agree  Undecided
atroxi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 26, 2012, 04:57:02 AM »

In terms of the "difficulty" of doing live autotune - Rock Band 3 has it as an option.  If a videogame on consumer grade consoles can do it in real time, well...

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:31:16 AM by atroxi » Logged
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 26, 2012, 05:03:01 AM »

Hey guys, sorry to ask but a PM would be appreciated. Thanks.
SummerInParadise23
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 26, 2012, 05:09:39 AM »

Hello; I'm new to posting on this board. I've read it for a couple years though. This site was a great resource for updates during the concert. Anyways, I can't believe there is no footage on Youtube of the show. I thought there would be tons of it. Someone please PM me this footage I'm dying to see. The set list sounds incredible. Can't wait to see the guys in a week!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: April 26, 2012, 05:11:08 AM »

people signing up for the board just so people can PM them recordings for this show is disgusting.
This board is going to get in trouble if this rampant sharing continues.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
TheLastOfMyKind
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: April 26, 2012, 05:50:41 AM »

I would love it if some one gave me a tylenol PM... Im having trouble sleeping and need some good tunes to fall asleep to.  I woIuld be most appreciative if someone would help me out.  Thank you very,much
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: April 26, 2012, 05:53:18 AM »

I'll say it again:
Brian's live vocals have been poor from day 1.
Only in ONE short tour they reached professional standards consistently, Fall 2009 (that's what we're told, I wasn't there and there are no youtubes of it). Other than that, you get the occasional good lead (Grammy GV, destroyed on the TV mix), next to the most out-of-tune/tempo vocal you can imagine.

I always wonder why fans that seem to have such a sophisticated and sensitive ear in order to detect autotune on a Beach Boy fart, seem to be indifferent to the hundreds of poor live vocals from Brian delivered -and taped- during the last decade. Check YOUTUBE, dammit, it's full of them. (I know the reason, actually: they love him and don't care... and anyway most of them can't tell a pitch corrector from a vacuum cleaner).

Add to this his extremely bizarre and indifferent demeanor (check out the TNT tribute from 10 years ago... look the way he acts/reacts when his daughters give him flowers, for instance)  that all reviews seem to have noticed.

He has recorded some of his best studio vocals in recent years. He can be an EXTRAORDINARY studio singer. He has the voice, the character, the expression, the genius for it. On stage, other factors enter... I see nothing wrong with trying to diminish damages, and trying to show in the best possible vein the guy the world will be looking at.

In this context, it makes sense that they added two shows before the first major gig they announced (Jazz Fest), as a warm-up. If Brian rises up to the occasion, then that's wonderful. And if special trickery is used to make up for his shortcomings, it's ok with me. I wouldn't want to have to explain to the people near me why he can't carry his own tunes.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 26, 2012, 06:01:33 AM »

I would love it if some one gave me a tylenol PM... Im having trouble sleeping and need some good tunes to fall asleep to.  I woIuld be most appreciative if someone would help me out.  Thank you very,much

Just a tip -- people use private messages because they want to keep something private.  This would be rendered useless if just signing up for an anonymous account on the board immediately got you access to this private information. That's not because anyone wants to keep any illegal recordings (should they exist) from people who love the band, but because they don't want to get the people who recorded and uploaded such recordings, or the people who run the board, into trouble.

As for all the other people saying "PM Me!", this is not a criticism because I did the exact same thing myself, but here are enough people talking about this recording that it would probably be a better strategy to send a private message to one of them rather than clogging up the messages...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: April 26, 2012, 06:03:19 AM »

I'll say it again:
Brian's live vocals have been poor from day 1.
Only in ONE short tour they reached professional standards consistently, Fall 2009 (that's what we're told, I wasn't there and there are no youtubes of it). Other than that, you get the occasional good lead (Grammy GV, destroyed on the TV mix), next to the most out-of-tune/tempo vocal you can imagine.

I always wonder why fans that seem to have such a sophisticated and sensitive ear in order to detect autotune on a Beach Boy fart, seem to be indifferent to the hundreds of poor live vocals from Brian delivered -and taped- during the last decade. Check YOUTUBE, dammit, it's full of them. (I know the reason, actually: they love him and don't care... and anyway most of them can't tell a pitch corrector from a vacuum cleaner).

Add to this his extremely bizarre and indifferent demeanor (check out the TNT tribute from 10 years ago... look the way he acts/reacts when his daughters give him flowers, for instance)  that all reviews seem to have noticed.

He has recorded some of his best studio vocals in recent years. He can be an EXTRAORDINARY studio singer. He has the voice, the character, the expression, the genius for it. On stage, other factors enter... I see nothing wrong with trying to diminish damages, and trying to show in the best possible vein the guy the world will be looking at.

In this context, it makes sense that they added two shows before the first major gig they announced (Jazz Fest), as a warm-up. If Brian rises up to the occasion, then that's wonderful. And if special trickery is used to make up for his shortcomings, it's ok with me. I wouldn't want to have to explain to the people near me why he can't carry his own tunes.

Well said Dr. Lenny, I am feeling the same about these issues.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: April 26, 2012, 06:25:48 AM »

Did I really just wade through at least 3 pages of almost nothing but PM requests?  For the love of the God that made the radio, people... That was fugging annoying as hell. Use the PM feature to PM people. Don't clog up the whole friggin board with PM requests!

And those of you who signed up just to post "PM me please!!"  ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

</rant>

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Jarethon
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 26, 2012, 06:30:25 AM »

If I knew for sure who was holding and willing, I would approach them. But since I don't...

PM please?

And also notice this is not my first post. Barely.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 26, 2012, 06:35:41 AM »

If I knew for sure who was holding and willing, I would approach them. But since I don't...

PM please?

And also notice this is not my first post. Barely.

Couldn't you PM someone in the first place, and saving the rest of the world from reading a thread with 500 PM requests?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 26, 2012, 06:46:11 AM »

Jarethon, I don't mean to call you out but if you don't know who to PM, pick somebody who's talking about it and ask. Chances are they'll either help ya out or are looking for it also.

Seriously people, I'd hate to see this board shut down because some folks don't know how to use the PRIVATE message feature...

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 26, 2012, 06:48:54 AM »

Got a little choked up during Forever there. That auto-tune is pretty funky sounding. I hope it's gone by the time they hit my town, but something tells me Brian wants it. He's probably fascinated by the idea. If this is just for that show, I would be happy it happened because now I can say I've heard everything! Even Robo-Brian!
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 26, 2012, 06:51:18 AM »

people signing up for the board just so people can PM them recordings for this show is disgusting.
Should be 200 post minimum

No, I think 700 posts. Wink
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 26, 2012, 06:53:20 AM »

Jarethon, I don't mean to call you out but if you don't know who to PM, pick somebody who's talking about it and ask. Chances are they'll either help ya out or are looking for it also.

Seriously people, I'd hate to see this board shut down because some folks don't know how to use the PRIVATE message feature...

I could see it becoming a problem as well especially if people start turning up wanting links to offsite sources for audio.  Maybe there will have to be a modification of the rules as far as implicitly stating that people should not openly even ask to be PM'd on the main forum when it comes to matters like this.  It was never an issue before but that is something for the moderators to debate and decide how they want to handle it because this is a trend likely to continue.

For the record, people making the argument that the "PM request parade" damaged their reading experience really crack me up.  The things people argue about and the new ways they find to argue about them.  All the information one would need to know in this thread can actually be found within the first couple of pages.  Pictures, setlists, reviews, reactions from people who were actually there.  Beyond that you have the same 2nd hand reactions and nitpicking from fans and the aforementioned requests for audio.  This is to be expected isn't it?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 26, 2012, 07:04:23 AM »

Funny how some ppl say they can't hear any autotune or what else it is. Brian's voice sounds like it comes straight through some computer or vocoder. No other voice sounds like that. Just listen to the bridge of Surfer Girl, it sounds awful... or H&V.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #668 on: April 26, 2012, 07:25:42 AM »

People signing up so that people can PM them (non-soundboard, non-professional quality) recordings is "disgusting??" Hyperbole much?

- B00ts
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 26, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »

Would it be possible to just put together an email mailing list in case somebody wanted to share something with the whole community?  It might simplify things.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 26, 2012, 07:31:44 AM »

Before everyone goes off the deep end on this autotune thing. SonaraDick mentioned Brian was walking with a limp and needed assistance. It was also SonoraDick or Justin or someone that was at the sound check (I can't find the Quote) that said Brian sounded AWFUL at the soundcheck, but was fine during the show. I would GUESS Brian was not in great form that day, and IF his voice was enhanced, that does not mean that it will be on a regular basis or that the whole tour is ruined. How many people that witnessed the show live have said that Brian's voice was enhanced? Or is it just everyone listening to a crummy recording after the fact?

How about let's wait until a few more gigs are in the can before having a complete meltdown.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 26, 2012, 07:39:27 AM »

People signing up so that people can PM them (non-soundboard, non-professional quality) recordings is "disgusting??" Hyperbole much?
I'm just worried because this board is watched.

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 26, 2012, 07:55:20 AM »

I'm just worried because this board is watched.

It is what it is though at this point isn't it?  I personally think the mods have done a great job drawing the line in the sand as to what is allowed and what isn't while still being sympathetic to the network of fans that are interested in pursuing recordings outside what one can find at their local cd emporium.  If those who hold the copyright on the recordings want to go further than that well there is really nothing that we as a fanbase can do.  It is what it is so you don't personally need to make it your burden to worry about it.  There will always be places to discuss The Beach Boys whether it's here or somewhere else and I'm going to make a wild guess here but if the file sharing thing gets out of control here, the mods will put a stop to it before anyone else does.  It's neither yours nor my burden to bear.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: April 26, 2012, 07:59:11 AM »

Personally, I don't care about autotune, no autotune, whatever. This thread is giving me a buzz-kill. I ain't letting it destroy my expectation of the 2 shows that I'm goung to attend over the next two months.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 26, 2012, 08:05:20 AM »

There is NO doubt that pitch correction is being used on just Brian's voice and it's disgusting! I'm not one who always regocnises pitch correction easily when it has been done tastfully, but I've worked with it and I know what it CAN sound like when used lazily, like you would in a live setting where there would be no time to tweak it and you would just have to put it on to a certain amount. It's heartbreaking to hear Brian sing tuned leads like this, especially the sunny snuff bit in H&V... I Wonder how they came to use this safety net just for Brian, someone should have made a point out of it while preparing for the show or even agreeing to do the gigs.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx