gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:05:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The First Gig: Anselmo Valencia Ampitheater Tucson, AZ 4/24/12 (SETLIST/REVIEWS)  (Read 197913 times)
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 25, 2012, 02:22:49 PM »

BTW Brian really sound sgood on Surfer Girl..... *cough*

That would certainly be nice to hear, wouldn't it?
Just awoke from a massive Anzac day to all this great news. How does one hear this ?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 25, 2012, 02:32:59 PM »

Where are you guys hearing this???
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 25, 2012, 02:41:59 PM »

Just out of curiousity, has Brian ever had live autotune on his voice before, and did anybody notice anything weird about Brian's leads from last night?

No, he hasn't used autotune live before based on everything I've seen/heard.

And if he were to start, well, that would suck. Especially if it was obvious.   Roll Eyes
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #478 on: April 25, 2012, 02:44:49 PM »

Was wondering as well...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 25, 2012, 02:45:55 PM »

Just out of curiousity, has Brian ever had live autotune on his voice before, and did anybody notice anything weird about Brian's leads from last night?

And if he were to start, well, that would suck. Especially if it was obvious.   Roll Eyes

Only TWGMTR sounded like Brian had some crazy live autotune on his voice.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: April 25, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »

Probably just Jeff... lol

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 25, 2012, 02:56:32 PM »

Was wondering as well...

Me too.... Hopefully not torrent sites because I still haven't gotten all that set up on my new-ish machine.

No mas, por favor.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 25, 2012, 03:04:17 PM »

Listen to the ending of Heroes & Villains, "I'm fit with the stuff to ride in the rough".  It sounds like some badly tracking vocoder jittering back & forth between two notes.  I really would like to be wrong, and otherwise I'm hoping it was just an opening night security blanket that all concerned will quickly realize is unnecessary, since Brian really sounds pretty great as far as his enthusiasm level & general presence.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 25, 2012, 03:23:02 PM »

Where are you guys hearing this?? Let me in ha!  Wink
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 25, 2012, 03:24:01 PM »

Me too come on I can't wait another month till my show!

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 25, 2012, 03:33:29 PM »

Listen to the ending of Heroes & Villains, "I'm fit with the stuff to ride in the rough".  It sounds like some badly tracking vocoder jittering back & forth between two notes.

Yeah, that was horrible.

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 25, 2012, 03:34:15 PM »

This

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
adavidw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 25, 2012, 03:35:17 PM »

Mike & Bruce have played Tucson several times in recent years (Brian never)...

*koff* 2009 Fiesta Bowl Invitational show.

Andrew, I see your site lists the 2009 show in Tuscon (the town too tough to spell; US joke). However, the Fiesta Bowl is held in Phoenix, where, perhaps by coincidence, The Phoenician is located. Even though I'm 99.99% sure my original statement about Brian not playing here in Tucson is correct, I guess I'll only politely challenge your koff; not sure how to disprove it. I DO know I'd feel terrible if I missed a BW show in my own town.  Cheesy 

I'm just going to get a bit pedantic for a moment. The Phoenician, where Brian played, is actually in Scottsdale. And, the Fiesta Bowl is played at the University of Phoenix Stadium, which, despite its name, is actually in Glendale. For most of its life, the Fiesta Bowl was played at ASU Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.

This is all in the Phoenix area, of course, and to most of us from Tucson, we don't care about the fine points. Anything in that God-forsaken concrete sprawl up north is all "Phoenix" to us.
adavidw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 25, 2012, 03:39:15 PM »

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/media/images/medium2/20120425114514854.jpg

Just wanted to mention to AGD that it appears Al is playing a Strat on the tour!  LOL

Al was playing a blue Jaguar at the beginning of the show and many times throughout, but switched to the white Strat frequently. David Marks stayed on his blue Jaguar the entire time. Scott and Jeff switched probably every song, so I lost count of who was playing what there.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 25, 2012, 03:40:56 PM »

This

adavidw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 25, 2012, 03:42:47 PM »

There's a *lot* of Brian leads, actually -- he does Little Girl I Once Knew as well as the other ones noted. Someone (Jeff or Cowsill or possibly both) has to cover for him on the first middle eight on Sail On Sailor when he completely forgets the words, but the rest of the lead is as good as I've heard him singing that song. (On Sail On Sailor you *can* hear the backing band singing). He's great on Heroes & Villains, too. This is a *really* good show...

Was John Cowsill singing? I had a great seat but still couldn't tell. There was no boom mike or anything, so he would have had to have a headset, but I couldn't see anything like that. I suppose with a 10 piece backing band, just about all of whom were singing, his voice isn't strictly needed.

As an aside, I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone hit the drums harder than John Cowsill at last night's show.
adavidw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 25, 2012, 03:43:47 PM »

From Probyn -- he and Mikey are actually sharing bass guitar duties.

They may be sharing, but from what I could see at last night's show, it's 90% Mikey on bass, 10% Probyn.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 25, 2012, 03:44:35 PM »

And if he were to start, well, that would suck. Especially if it was obvious.   Roll Eyes

Listen to the ending of Heroes & Villains, "I'm fit with the stuff to ride in the rough".  It sounds like some badly tracking vocoder jittering back & forth between two notes.  I really would like to be wrong, and otherwise I'm hoping it was just an opening night security blanket that all concerned will quickly realize is unnecessary, since Brian really sounds pretty great as far as his enthusiasm level & general presence.

Joe Thomas tried it when he worked with Brian last -- hooking up this weird reverb unit to Brian's voice when he played on Steve Dahl's radio show. This is the one thing I don't like about BW working with the Boys -- I suspect they're still a little embarrassed by him. His own group has never been afraid to push him up in the mix, warts and all.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 03:51:46 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 25, 2012, 03:46:55 PM »

I'd love to hear something from this show!
I thought there would be plenty of Youtube videos from the first reunion concert, but so far only Kokomo has been uploaded (and it's already gone).
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: April 25, 2012, 03:47:34 PM »

Hell, hook him up to some pitch shifters and have him howl a LOVE YOU song ala The Residents, fine with me.
amonomous
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: April 25, 2012, 03:49:42 PM »

BTW Brian really sound sgood on Surfer Girl..... *cough*

I'll be at the show this Sunday in Raleigh, NC, really enjoying this thread and the new single.. I'm torn though between the "I hope so and so is still there by this time...." type comments and the "they get better/more comfortable & incorporate more deep cuts (seeing IJWMFTT live would be amazing for instance) as they go along"  ones.. :/ I'm just happy to see all five of them together and as long as they don't rotate "Please Let Me Wonder" out of the set I'll be more than satisfied with what I've seen so far setlist-wise. I was too late to see the Kokomo video (it's gone) but I'm definitely Gettin' Hungry (couldn't resist) for more than just still pics (though the pics and updates have been *GREAT*) Thank you to everyone who has contributed, I'm really let down by the no camera policy and hope I can still get some shots but anything I am able to get I will cherish and share afterward.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 25, 2012, 03:50:07 PM »

Listen to the ending of Heroes & Villains, "I'm fit with the stuff to ride in the rough".  It sounds like some badly tracking vocoder jittering back & forth between two notes.  I really would like to be wrong, and otherwise I'm hoping it was just an opening night security blanket that all concerned will quickly realize is unnecessary, since Brian really sounds pretty great as far as his enthusiasm level & general presence.

Joe Thomas tried it when he worked with Brian last -- hooking up this weird reverb unit to Brian's voice when he played on Steve Dahl's radio show. This is the one thing I don't like about BW working with the broader group -- I suspect they're still a little embarrassed by him. His own group has never been afraid to push him up in the mix, warts and all.

That's really interesting.  It is like hearing him sing through an flanger pedal or something, it's totally unsubtle and doesn't suit the music at all. Somebody in the booth must realize it's not making him sound "better".  Part of me was wondering if Brian actually wants it, like he's gotten so used to using it in the studio that he expects it all the time now.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 25, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »

Was John Cowsill singing? I had a great seat but still couldn't tell. There was no boom mike or anything, so he would have had to have a headset, but I couldn't see anything like that. I suppose with a 10 piece backing band, just about all of whom were singing, his voice isn't strictly needed.

As an aside, I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone hit the drums harder than John Cowsill at last night's show.

I can hear him (I think) on the tag of Sail On Sailor. I'd be amazed if he wasn't singing, as he's probably the single best singer on the stage. He does usually use a headset, and sometimes it's quite hard to see because his hair covers most of it.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 25, 2012, 03:53:37 PM »

Part of me was wondering if Brian actually wants it, like he's gotten so used to using it in the studio that he expects it all the time now.

I kinda doubt it. He's never used pitch correction in his live solo shows. And believe me, some of them could have used it!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #499 on: April 25, 2012, 04:20:11 PM »

Add me to the list of people who would really love to hear recordings of the show to see what it sounds like!

As for live autotune, it does exist and some bands do use it. Every Brian gig I've been to has had no evident use of autotune. Wouldn't surprise me if they have a really lush, busy mix on this tour if they applied a bit of autotune to Brian here and there.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx