gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:35:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The First Gig: Anselmo Valencia Ampitheater Tucson, AZ 4/24/12 (SETLIST/REVIEWS)  (Read 198976 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: April 25, 2012, 10:15:07 AM »

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/media/images/medium2/20120425114514854.jpg

Just wanted to mention to AGD that it appears Al is playing a Strat on the tour!  LOL
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:16:31 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 25, 2012, 10:16:45 AM »

So.. nobody at the Tucson show recorded anything to put on YouTube? Where are the videos, goddamnit...  Embarrassed
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 25, 2012, 10:22:05 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-kick-off-50th-anniversary-tour-in-tucson-20120425
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 25, 2012, 10:22:43 AM »

How was Mike's voice?  Did he sound thin, like in the Do It Again video?  Wonder if his voice will hold up during the tour.

Mikie, I was very pleased with Mike's voice last night. No longer powerful, but still the strongest  I've heard him in five years. Maybe the layoff has helped him & he'll weaken over time. Not all all nasally, either... he sounded like, well, he's about 70. None of the hoarseness that seems to have plagued him in recent times. He still has that distinct sound you'd recognize from a mile away, if he could project that far.

On another "note", let me say that, in my opinion, he's still a great showman. Rather than the physical movements of the past, he's now limited to his gestures, which, granted, can sometimes be annoying, and his eye contact/expressions.
I'm sure he's happy as a clam to be back in this position but there wasn't a hint of boasting last night... No "I sing the lead on ..." (I think that was just in jest, anyway); in fact, very little discussion. But I think he's still great fun to watch, even if he can't leap onto the piano for the encore any longer.

GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 25, 2012, 10:31:18 AM »

I've just spent the last two hours (more or less) listening to my newest iTunes playlist, based on last night's setlist (yes, including TWGMTR thanks to a YouTube MP3 encoder, which I'll replace with the official MP3 from Amazon tomorrow... and the redone "Do It Again") and I must say, it is a SOLID set.  Great introduction for new fans, like my bro's gf.

Now if we could only get recordings of these concerts to tide me over until Summerfest...

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #405 on: April 25, 2012, 10:32:05 AM »

Did Mike do those bass vocals in H&V? "duh heroes, duh heroes, duh heroes and villains" Did he do the Papa Ooom Mow Mow vocals during Barbara Ann?

DID BRIAN PLAY BASS?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 25, 2012, 10:36:19 AM »

So.. nobody at the Tucson show recorded anything to put on YouTube? Where are the videos, goshdarnit...  Embarrassed

I imagine you might see some crummy iPhone video shot from way back, but no cameras were allowed... I talked with a couple of people who had to return to their car to leave theirs. Must have been a Capitol decision because the venue alllows pocket cameras. Those who were observed using their phones got a light shined on them to get their attention & then a wave from security to knock it off, but nothing confiscated that I saw. I did sneak my pocket camera in, but never took it out until "FFF" and even then only shot stills, with the hope of getting a good shot of as many in the band as I could rather than sound for one song. I did video the entire soundcheck performance of "TWGMTR" but I suspect it won't be very good... from way in the back. Haven't checked it yet.  
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 25, 2012, 10:38:35 AM »

DID BRIAN PLAY BASS?
No.

@RS link: nice and fair review.  Smiley

@SonoraDick: Okay, thanks anyway.  Smiley Some more photos would be nice, though. From any source.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 25, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »

Did Mike do those bass vocals in H&V? "duh heroes, duh heroes, duh heroes and villains" Did he do the Papa Ooom Mow Mow vocals during Barbara Ann?

DID BRIAN PLAY BASS?

1) I'm quite sure no... but Brian very clearly sang "bicycle rider, just see what you done"
2) & 3)  No
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 25, 2012, 10:45:43 AM »

Thanks for the show and meet and greet reviews, SonoraDick.  That's weird that they're sending mixed signals about the autographs.  Question, regarding the photo with the band...do they just snap the picture as you walk up and greet the guys or is there an opportunity to say hello and then all pose for the picture?   I ask becauase on the VIP nation FB page photo section of other meet and greets it appears that many fans seemed unaware of their photo being taken and have pictures of them talking with the artist and even hugging the artist (back towards the camera) so it made me think just how "prepared" the fans were when they walked up to the artist.  Any info on that would be great!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:47:55 AM by Justin » Logged
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 25, 2012, 10:48:14 AM »

SonoroDick - thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions about the VIP/soundcheck/meet and greet. Have to say that I'm quite deflated after reading your post. I kinda have a lump in my throat about the money I spent on the VIP upgrades for the Mohegan Sun show on May12. Not sure it was worth it. I guess I kind of feel like a sucker. I realize they're old, but if it's just a cattle call where you're lucky if just one or two of them even acknowledge your presence, I don't know... sounds like a rip off.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 25, 2012, 10:49:40 AM »

Somebody at the Tucson gig spotted any cameras / recording devices near the stage (not belonging to people in the audience)? Or maybe they are planning on recording a specific gig in some prestigious venue later on the tour, when everything is smoothed out and everybody is comfortable.

Lowbacca, we were advised by a poster upon entering that the show was being professionally recorded. We were in the front row & there must have been half a dozen video/still photographers in front of the stage (at least one was on the stage) at all times. Bet we see some video at least on the PBS special.

I think they picked a good night. The group was ON!
SG7
« Reply #412 on: April 25, 2012, 10:50:05 AM »

You didn't get to see any of the touring band either? Kind of disappointed to hear that.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: April 25, 2012, 10:52:31 AM »

Just curious - having experienced it, was the meet-and-greet worth it? It sounds like the soundcheck access was a nice premium though the logistics got a bit messed up, but the m+g wasn't as good.

Thanks for the reviews and firsthand reports, much appreciated!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 25, 2012, 10:54:09 AM »

Kokomo is up. It's the whole performance but shot VERY far away.

It's a cool stripped down arrangement but the guy filming is singing louder than the band  LOL
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:55:35 AM by Wrightfan » Logged
Paulos
« Reply #415 on: April 25, 2012, 10:58:24 AM »

After seeing the setlist I have had no choice but to go straight to ticketmaster to buy tickets for the Berlin gig, it may mean flying 600 miles but I don't care, it's going to be worth it, see you in Berlin guys!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 25, 2012, 11:00:23 AM »

After seeing the setlist I have had no choice but to go straight to ticketmaster to buy tickets for the Berlin gig, it may mean flying 600 miles but I don't care, it's going to be worth it, see you in Berlin guys!
Yeah man, see ya there.  Smiley

=> http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12430.0.html (originally a thread just for the Berlin gig which I am attending)
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 25, 2012, 11:01:55 AM »

Thanks for the show and meet and greet reviews, SonoraDick.  That's weird that they're sending mixed signals about the autographs.  Question, regarding the photo with the band...do they just snap the picture as you walk up and greet the guys or is there an opportunity to say hello and then all pose for the picture?   I ask becauase on the VIP nation FB page photo section of other meet and greets it appears that many fans seemed unaware of their photo being taken and have pictures of them talking with the artist and even hugging the artist (back towards the camera) so it made me think just how "prepared" the fans were when they walked up to the artist.  Any info on that would be great!

Justin, The photo was shot by our VIP "host, who was a nice guy. I doubt that he took any pics without the subject knowing... but I made sure to get my talking in before since I knew there were others waiting their turn after. This sounds stupid, but I can only say I THINK I remember looking into his camera. Guess I'll see when the photo is available for download. That part all happened pretty fast when it was my turn.

Your event may be different, but I'll bet the "itinerary" you'll receive from VIP is standard... no time for autographs. But, they don't do it in front of you anyway. So, regardless of what it says, bring something you'd like signed with you.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 25, 2012, 11:03:18 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywRTZiMu-5E
Mike sounds great on Kokomo, best in years!
Argh, I wanna hear WIBN with Al on lead!!!  Brian, Dennis, & Carl
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:12:03 AM by SheriffJohnStone » Logged

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #419 on: April 25, 2012, 11:10:37 AM »

H&V is basically the Smiley Smile version, apart from "You're under arrest" before "Children Are Raised", and Brian sings "Bicycle Rider" in last chorus, and it ends with "Bridge To Indians"

So the classic BB version, but with a little tip of the hat to more recent versions
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: April 25, 2012, 11:15:41 AM »

SonoroDick - thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions about the VIP/soundcheck/meet and greet. Have to say that I'm quite deflated after reading your post. I kinda have a lump in my throat about the money I spent on the VIP upgrades for the Mohegan Sun show on May12. Not sure it was worth it. I guess I kind of feel like a sucker. I realize they're old, but if it's just a cattle call where you're lucky if just one or two of them even acknowledge your presence, I don't know... sounds like a rip off.

TimmyC, I'm sorry, sure don't intend to leave the wrong impression. In my opinion, the package was worth EVERY PENNY I paid, if just for the fact I had a great seat for the concert that I couldn't have possibly acquired any other way. A couple of snafus with the VIP portion the first night, but those will work out better later on. For the meet & greet, I'd just suggest being aggressive. Pick the one you'd most like to say something to & tell him what's on your mind, & then try to move on to the next before the photo. Wish I had planned a little better & known a little more beforehand, but I felt the Beach Boys (with the obvious and understandable exception of Brian) were most co-operative. It was quick, but I'm still thrilled today!  
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 25, 2012, 11:17:03 AM »

Justin, where you VIP'ing at?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 25, 2012, 11:22:06 AM »

I'll be at the Santa Barbara and Irvine shows!  You going to any?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:37 AM »

TimmyC, I'm sorry, sure don't intend to leave the wrong impression. In my opinion, the package was worth EVERY PENNY I paid, if just for the fact I had a great seat for the concert that I couldn't have possibly acquired any other way. A couple of snafus with the VIP portion the first night, but those will work out better later on. For the meet & greet, I'd just suggest being aggressive. Pick the one you'd most like to say something to & tell him what's on your mind, & then try to move on to the next before the photo. Wish I had planned a little better & known a little more beforehand, but I felt the Beach Boys (with the obvious and understandable exception of Brian) were most co-operative. It was quick, but I'm still thrilled today!  

Thanks for all of your input.  BTW guys, not that I am an expert by any means at all, but I have met all of the guys with the exception of David.  They all have disticnt personalities and respond to different statements, questions.  Depending on who you want to converse with, Sonora is correct.  Go to that guy with your comment.  Unsurprisingly, a complement about an "obscure" song seems to really work best with them all. EXAMPLE, "gee Mr. Jardine, I really love your vocal on Lady Lynda." (or San Simeon. Or Lookin at Tomorrow.  You get the idea)  Works every time.  They like that you are a real "fan".  I think they apprecaiate you know their catalog, not just Help Me, Rhonda.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 25, 2012, 11:24:49 AM »

I'll be at the Santa Barbara and Irvine shows!  You going to any?

Too bad, I'll be Las Vegas and Hollywood Bowl.  Oh well, hope you have a great time.  Thanks for your work last night.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx