gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:12:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jeffrey Foskett - what's the joke?  (Read 21675 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »

B.S.  Jeff was canned because he messed around and the wives didn't like it. 'Nuff said.  Done. Over.

Messed around with whom exactly?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2012, 04:59:20 PM »

Why would anyone specifically pick Jeff to be jealous of? I'd be more jealous of Darian or either of the Scotts or Mark Linnet... people with creative control.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2012, 05:02:37 PM »

Why would anyone specifically pick Jeff to be jealous of? I'd be more jealous of Darian or either of the Scotts or Mark Linnet... people with creative control.
They are not as present as Jeff in the overall circus of all things Brian Wilson.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2012, 05:21:26 PM »

Hint:  It wasn't a guy.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2012, 05:24:45 PM »

Hint:  It wasn't a guy.

NTTIAWWT
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2012, 05:50:38 PM »

How in the world did I figure out what that stood for?
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2012, 09:35:56 PM »

I was only kidding with the jealous crack. perhaps this smiley:  Razz would have made it clearer?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2012, 11:01:05 PM »

I was only kidding with the jealous crack. perhaps this smiley:  Razz would have made it clearer?

Perhaps my lacking intelligence is what made it happen. imo.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2012, 12:16:46 AM »

Without naming names, I was once told by one of The Beach Boys that  Jeff was fired because he had helped himself to some money.

I heard that too, back in the day: not so, as it happens.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2012, 12:47:03 AM »

B.S.  Jeff was canned because he messed around and the wives didn't like it. 'Nuff said.  Done. Over.

Groupies he's stated it publically so no surprise here.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2012, 12:49:36 AM »

Kicked out of the band for groping some groupies? I guess Dennis got kicked out every night.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2012, 12:53:51 AM »

Kicked out of the band for groping some groupies? I guess Dennis got kicked out every night.
That's what he said in an old ESQ I think.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2012, 06:07:21 AM »

I was gonna say that too. I guess Denny had more freedom... that is up until the early 80s.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2012, 08:48:51 AM »

Okay, just to make it clear, from what I've seen, the thing about Jeff messing around and arousing Beach Boys' wives' suspicions about their own husbands is indeed PART of the reason he was let go. The source: Jeff himself admitted it. It was in a fanzine. The interviewer had asked Jeff if it was true that he left the Beach Boys because he was tired of the oldies direction the band was staying with and with no sign of hope for variety to please more fans, and Jeff responded as such about the infidelities.

He also said that he had major attitude problems back then....they didn't like his cockiness. Carl asked him to leave.

In the same interview Jeff said that Carl's act of tough love basically saved his marriage. I think this interview was from 1998 or thereabouts. Obviously his marriage wasn't saved all THAT well -- as I met Jeff's wife Diane (or is it Diana?) in 2003 -- a week or two after they had gotten married. Smiley

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2012, 09:08:59 AM »

I guess if I have a problem with Jeff, it's only really because of info I've heard on this board: namely, that Jeff dislikes and discourages Brian's nuttier side, like material in the "Love You" vein.  I feel that Brian should have total artistic freedom over his own art, and if he wants to play Shortenin' Bread or Roller Skating Child live, friggin let him do it.

Brian Wilson is half crazy.  His fans know this and expect it and even love it about him.  I don't like the fact that his inner circle seems hell-bent on suppressing the nuttiness, and presenting what amounts to an air-brushed BW. 

"Jeff, you care." --BW
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2012, 09:25:41 AM »

Thing is, as big fans, we KNOW Brian is nuts...but for someone who's a Beach Boys fan and might just be familiar with the pre-Smiley Smile material -- basically, doesn't know much but enjoys the music -- that person won't understand. That person wouldn't put up with two hours of "Shortnin' Bread" and "Be My Baby." Local newspaper journalists won't understand when reviewing the concerts.

Also, part of me wonders whether Brian's eccentricness is part of his own oddball sense of humor...like if he gets a kick out of it...if he himself figures, "Well, they know I'm nuts, let's have some fun with it!" The Bono story, the Don Henley story, and the "Hi, queen" anecdote come to mind...maybe he's doing it to see what he can get away with and how far...

BTW, the band can't ALL be anti-Love You; "The Night Was So Young" was in the set list in 2002...and when they were on QVC in July 2000, someone asked Brian what his favorite Beach Boys album was, and he said Love You, and he singled out "Ding Dang" and even played and sang a little of it, and a couple of the guys joined in...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2012, 09:27:44 AM »

But a creationist? Damn, I thought he was too intelligent for that.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2012, 09:31:19 AM »

"That's Why God Made the Radio" is a very creationist sentiment...  Smiley

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2012, 03:36:51 PM »

This should be every Brian Wilson concert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xouj4DyeaTM. Maybe he even asks us for coke or a joint and we eat some burgers together.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2012, 05:27:48 PM »

Thing is, as big fans, we KNOW Brian is nuts...but for someone who's a Beach Boys fan and might just be familiar with the pre-Smiley Smile material -- basically, doesn't know much but enjoys the music -- that person won't understand. That person wouldn't put up with two hours of "Shortnin' Bread" and "Be My Baby." Local newspaper journalists won't understand when reviewing the concerts.

Oh no. Joe Public won't "get" Brian Wilson. Because they get him *so* well as it is.

There is a happy middle ground in there, one that I'm thinking Brian would be totally fine with. The notion that Brian would sincerely want to play "Shortenin' Bread" or "Be My Baby" for an entire show is an amusing exaggeration, but an exaggeration never the less.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2012, 05:35:04 PM »

I guess if I have a problem with Jeff, it's only really because of info I've heard on this board: namely, that Jeff dislikes and discourages Brian's nuttier side, like material in the "Love You" vein.  I feel that Brian should have total artistic freedom over his own art, and if he wants to play Shortenin' Bread or Roller Skating Child live, friggin let him do it.

Brian Wilson is half crazy.  His fans know this and expect it and even love it about him.  I don't like the fact that his inner circle seems hell-bent on suppressing the nuttiness, and presenting what amounts to an air-brushed BW. 

The fact that Love You was the work of a man pretty much trying to kill himself with drugs and alcohol as his marriage, life, and mind was collapsing around him does seem to escape some people.

I love Love You. I'm glad its exists. But I am kinda happy Brian is not that man any more, and seems more at peace with himself and his illness. And who are you to say Brian is not making the art he wants to make? Love You was over 30 years ago. Heaven forbid he might have CHANGED.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2012, 05:43:22 PM »

The fact that Love You was the work of a man pretty much trying to kill himself with drugs and alcohol as his marriage, life, and mind was collapsing around him does seem to escape some people.

I love Love You. I'm glad its exists. But I am kinda happy Brian is not that man any more, and seems more at peace with himself and his illness. And who are you to say Brian is not making the art he wants to make? Love You was over 30 years ago. Heaven forbid he might have CHANGED.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't '76 about the time when Landy stepped in and Brian was actually off drugs, off alcohol, eating healthy, finally getting some treatment etc.? Wouldn't that make Love You something Brian was capable of while being extremely clear-headed, then? People call it a "sick" record, saying it's the sound of Brian's mental illness, but if everything I said is just true (again, I'm not entirely sure), then... yeah.

And while no one aside from Brian can really say what he wants to do nowadays, it's kind of naive to think his handlers and the folks who control his life, public image etc. aren't extremely detail-oriented when it comes to his presentation to the public. If Brian essentially wrote Love You II, I really don't know if the folks in power would let it happen without an extreme amount of modification (if at all), as they really seem hellbent on not allowing this guy to even give the slightest hint that he's a little "off" in any way other than, "I was sick, I still struggle, but I've overcome it."

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2012, 05:53:56 PM »

I'll give you that - he think he was under Landy's care during the writing and recording. So maybe just his marriage and family life was falling to bits, then.

I didn't say Brian wasn't managed, I was just saying he wasn't the dude who wrote Love You anymore. I honestly do think he's better now, and his general well-being doesn't seem so stage-managed to me? Like, every day obviously isn't a picnic, but he seems to be doing OK in spite of having a hell of a time and just a bumbling 70 year old dude with little patience for interviewers (an obvious aspect of what you describe). Maybe I'm just a sucker.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2012, 06:03:34 PM »

I'll give you that - he think he was under Landy's care during the writing and recording. So maybe just his marriage and family life was falling to bits, then.

I didn't say Brian wasn't managed, I was just saying he wasn't the dude who wrote Love You anymore. I honestly do think he's better now, and his general well-being doesn't seem so stage-managed to me? Like, every day obviously isn't a picnic, but he seems to be doing OK in spite of having a hell of a time and just a bumbling 70 year old dude with little patience for interviewers (an obvious aspect of what you describe). Maybe I'm just a sucker.

"Love You" is one of the few albums where he actually wrote his own lyrics.  He so often had collaborators, so it's one of the few pieces of work that's all his, and his personality is in it.  It's fun.  I don't find it that warped.  Sure, a lot of it is from a teen-age perspective, but then Chuck Berry was writing a lot of teen-age songs when he was in his 30s, too.  Brian always liked Chuck.  As for his marriage and family falling apart during that time, that's not quite true.  Landy forced him to spend more time with his wife and kids at that time and he was attempting to re-integrate himself into his family after being estranged from them for years, at least according to accounts and interviews at the time.  He didn't get divorced until a few years after that. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2012, 06:22:27 PM »

And while no one aside from Brian can really say what he wants to do nowadays, it's kind of naive to think his handlers and the folks who control his life, public image etc. aren't extremely detail-oriented when it comes to his presentation to the public. If Brian essentially wrote Love You II, I really don't know if the folks in power would let it happen without an extreme amount of modification (if at all), as they really seem hellbent on not allowing this guy to even give the slightest hint that he's a little "off" in any way other than, "I was sick, I still struggle, but I've overcome it."

Have you seen "Beautiful Dreamer"?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx