gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:18:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jeffrey Foskett - what's the joke?  (Read 21786 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2012, 08:41:40 AM »

Why all the hate for Foskett? I admit, I'm not an insider; I just don't get it. I don't know much about his own albums, but his contributions to the BB's/BW canon sound pretty nice to my ears.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 08:57:54 AM »

Why all the hate for Foskett? I admit, I'm not an insider; I just don't get it. I don't know much about his own albums, but his contributions to the BB's/BW canon sound pretty nice to my ears.
Some people don't like his (aged) voice and the fact that he partially replaces Brian and sometimes Carl musically, some people don't like his role in Brian's life and career (or rather, how they think Jeff treats Brian), some people are simply jealous (since the man's career with the Beach Boys is a fanboy's dream come true), and for some people it's all of the above.

All I know of Jeff is from official material (DVD, etc.), interviews and the two times I've seen him perform with Brian. He seems like a nice guy, a capable musician and is among the select group of people we should thank for keeping Brian (not only musically) afloat for the last 10+ years.
SBonilla
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 08:59:19 AM »

Some people here rag on him on a vicious and childish level. They drool yucky lamb and peas all over themselves and think that they are being so adorable. Aw, little guys...
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 10:29:10 AM »

I think I'd like him 20% more if he didn't do that thing turning the guitar around at the end of the Smile video. Possibly 25%. Bands, let this be a lesson to you: carefully consider the ramifications of dramatic unveilings of stickers at dramatic high points.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 11:07:47 AM »

His falsetto sounds terrible now and he was pushed up in the mix in two major reunion performances.  That's the main objection.  He is a good guitarist, though.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 04:26:53 PM »

Some people here rag on him on a vicious and childish level. They drool yucky lamb and peas all over themselves and think that they are being so adorable. Aw, little guys...

Uh huh.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
PhilCohen
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 04:37:25 PM »

Apparently, in addition to musical services, he has appointed himself to be Brian's bodyguard/bouncer.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 04:50:55 PM »

Apparently, in addition to musical services, he has appointed himself to be Brian's bodyguard/bouncer.

I believe he has been hired by Brian and Melinda for that role, actually.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 05:57:46 PM »

He also punches puppies. Like, properly punches them.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
PhilCohen
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 10:05:01 PM »

I would expect Brian(or any rock star) to have security people around him when he is at a concert hall or stadium as a touring performer, but I'm surprised that he would have a need for a bodyguard if he were to do everyday things like going out to a store or restaurant. Is it a question of Brian's mental competency?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 10:53:42 PM »

I would expect Brian(or any rock star) to have security people around him when he is at a concert hall or stadium as a touring performer, but I'm surprised that he would have a need for a bodyguard if he were to do everyday things like going out to a store or restaurant. Is it a question of Brian's mental competency?

He's not with him in those contexts. Jeff is his bouncer / minder when Brian is on the road -- which is when everyone has these interactions with him.
MBE
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 12:04:19 AM »

There were periods where people were concerned if Brian was out alone, but that wasn't a factor until his thirties. I understand that since Landy was banned he's gone out alone regularly. It's how much autonomy he has had in his career since 1975 that is the debate.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 12:38:01 AM »

Brian drives himself when not on tour, down to the stores/eateries, or to the park where he walks - there's ample photographic evidence and I've spoken with people who know him in a domestic setting. Jeff has been referred to as many things - bodyguard, safety net, security blanket, companion - but it's more complex than that, and the issue has been clouded by those with an axe to grind. If I had to put a label on it, I'd choose something like supporter, buffer and, yes, sometimes official ass-kicker. Brian is essentially a lazy guy - sees a chair, sits in it - and sometimes needs 'persuading' to fulfil his commitments. Jeff can seem prickly at M&Gs, but given some of the fans behaviour I've seen there, I can understand why. He's also understandably sometimes short with the likes of you and I, fans who think we a) know more than we do and b) know what's best for Brian. He and I have had our differences, but he's also said and done some very nice things to and for me that he totally didn't have to, and for that I respect him immensely. His is an unenviable, essentially no-win situation... and never forget, he's had some bouts of serious ill-health along the way.

But I digress - Brian doesn't need, or want, 24/7 surveillance. He can drive his own car. I'm reliably informed it can be take years off your life to be a passenger when he is, but he's no worse than most out there in LA. Jeff has his own life outside of Brian, touring with PDRR.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 12:52:22 AM »

Brian drives himself when not on tour, down to the stores/eateries, or to the park where he walks - there's ample photographic evidence and I've spoken with people who know him in a domestic setting. Jeff has been referred to as many things - bodyguard, safety net, security blanket, companion - but it's more complex than that, and the issue has been clouded by those with an axe to grind. If I had to put a label on it, I'd choose something like supporter, buffer and, yes, sometimes official ass-kicker. Brian is essentially a lazy guy - sees a chair, sits in it - and sometimes needs 'persuading' to fulfil his commitments. Jeff can seem prickly at M&Gs, but given some of the fans behaviour I've seen there, I can understand why. He's also understandably sometimes short with the likes of you and I, fans who think we a) know more than we do and b) know what's best for Brian. He and I have had our differences, but he's also said and done some very nice things to and for me that he totally didn't have to, and for that I respect him immensely. His is an unenviable, essentially no-win situation... and never forget, he's had some bouts of serious ill-health along the way.

But I digress - Brian doesn't need, or want, 24/7 surveillance. He can drive his own car. I'm reliably informed it can be take years off your life to be a passenger when he is, but he's no worse than most out there in LA. Jeff has his own life outside of Brian, touring with PDRR.
Well said Andrew. I never have talked to Jeff personally but nobody I do know has given me reason to think anything bad of the guy. I'm sure he has hurt some feelings along the way, but I rather feelings get hurt than Brian.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 01:14:49 AM »

Jeff was cool when I met BW a few months ago.  helped to make an awkward situation comfortable.

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 01:40:26 AM »

I like him, but his voice is....sometimes a little strident. Maybe it's a simple matter of being too far up in the mix; or the other voices being relatively characterless(i don't know.)  He's a great singer, mind, but there is some quality in his voice that is a little brassy, perhaps. The constant Foskett jokes, like most jokes, have gotten pretty old, though.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 10:27:38 AM »

People don't like him because in their mind, they think they sing falsetto better than him.  99% of the hate you see thrown at him is because of this fact.  Most people don't want to admit it, but when they sing along with their cds, they imagine that they've finally figured out how to hit those notes just right, and Jeff simply isn't doing it right in their eyes.

From there, everything he does is flawed to them, and they think he's convinced Brian he's the falsetto guy the same way Landy convinced Brian he was his friend. 

You'll soon see several of these haters replying telling me I'm wrong, which will tune you into the fact that perhaps I'm right. 

Smiley 
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 11:19:51 AM »

People don't like him because in their mind, they think they sing falsetto better than him.  99% of the hate you see thrown at him is because of this fact.  Most people don't want to admit it, but when they sing along with their cds, they imagine that they've finally figured out how to hit those notes just right, and Jeff simply isn't doing it right in their eyes.

From there, everything he does is flawed to them, and they think he's convinced Brian he's the falsetto guy the same way Landy convinced Brian he was his friend. 

You'll soon see several of these haters replying telling me I'm wrong, which will tune you into the fact that perhaps I'm right. 

Smiley 

Those of us who think Jeff sounded pretty terrible on the Grammys and at Dodger Stadium are not "haters."  I get tired of hearing that world thrown around.  It's a way to invalidate other people's opinions that are quite valid.  "You didn't like that? You're just a hater!" Jeff sounded bad in those two instances, which was not a good way to kick off reunion appearances. Jeff's singing voice was never extraordinary in any range, but it was okay and acceptable in the falsetto range a few years ago.  It might still be okay in the lower ranges, but if that's what his falsetto sounds like now (and he wasn't just having a bad day or hay fever), the powers that be either should have other singers doubling him or they need to turn him down in the mix, a lot.

As for his other duties, I have no idea.  I can see why someone might yell at Brian if he's either being difficult or has a hard time hearing in a loud room.  I've seen pictures of him with Brian at signings at record stores, not just after shows, but then I've seen Taylor Mills in those pictures, too, so they could be coming out to represent the band as well as give Brian support.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 11:28:07 AM »

You're on the money here, Bonilla.   And not just about the subject of Jeff Foskett. 

Are you reading, kiddies?   It's gettin' real old.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 11:31:58 AM »

The joke about Jeffrey Foskett revealed:

Q) Why did Jefferey Foskett cross the road?

A) Because the light was green.

See, it's not really that funny now, is it? So leave him alone!
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 11:37:03 AM »

Smiley 

Well said , and everybody can sing like Brian did over 40 years ago NOT !!! Nobody will EVER sing like Brian did , fact !!
Must say for Jeff , if he read all this hate ( which he probably does ) there would be no middle ground in his thoughts , he would either be heartbroken or not give a sh*t about a number of would be musicians/brilliant singers who are extremely jealous of his employment.
I have personally met Jeff on many occasions ( in various situations ) and found him to always be very gracious..  
SG7
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 03:33:02 PM »

Smiley 

Well said , and everybody can sing like Brian did over 40 years ago NOT !!! Nobody will EVER sing like Brian did , fact !!
Must say for Jeff , if he read all this hate ( which he probably does ) there would be no middle ground in his thoughts , he would either be heartbroken or not give a sh*t about a number of would be musicians/brilliant singers who are extremely jealous of his employment.
I have personally met Jeff on many occasions ( in various situations ) and found him to always be very gracious.. 

I would say he is the latter, but there have been times he's been less than thrilled with people's opinion of him. I remember eons ago of him posting a rant on the Bambu board. I had no clue what the fuss was at the time because I was still  a bit of a newbie. However, overtime I have come to understand why.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 03:37:21 PM »

I don't mind complaints about his voice in and of themselves, but people going 'HE'S GOING TO TAKE OVER THE REUNION' really get on my tits.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 04:26:30 PM »

I don't mind complaints about his voice in and of themselves, but people going 'HE'S GOING TO TAKE OVER THE REUNION' really get on my tits.

It's possible he have too large of a role in the reunion to suit people's taste, whether he sounds good or not.  But it won't be an evil coup, it will be because the old guy Beach Boys are too damn lazy or just not capable anymore. I'm not sure why they need such a huge band.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 05:18:44 PM »

Ive totally changed my opinion on Jeff since I've heard him in TWGMTR

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx