gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681548 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 07:13:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A bit crap  (Read 24349 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2012, 11:04:11 AM »

Your actual words at  8.10.51am today:

"...it should be a big, career-spanning trawl through their catalogue."

Ergo, they would "devote half the setlist to obscure album tracks from commercially unsuccessful albums", according to you. Otherwise it would just be a GH set, and we wouldn't want that, would we ?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:07:17 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2012, 11:24:04 AM »

A question to the OP:  when was the last time The Beach Boys actually did anything that didn't make you squirm?  I have no idea how you could've expected this Celebration tour to be limited of some of the things you've apparently grown to despise (surfing songs, car songs, surfboards in pictures)?  The Wal-Mart deal?  Who the hell cares?  It's not like they're releasing the actual album directly though Wal-mart..it's some promo magazine with a sampler CD.  Big whoop.  

They nearly made the Paley sessions into an album. Retro sounding music that was still artistically interesting. Soul Searching and YSAM are pretty good. I like the live version of Summer in Paradise. I like the Stars and Stripes version of Caroline, No. I like Don't Fight the Sea.

I love the band.

And I don't hate the surf or car songs. I do, however, see them as only a chapter in the lengthy life of an ambitious and confounding band. And a compelling tour could embrace the hits and the arty stuff and reap the band both money and acclaim. And the fact that the band doesn't seem to be seeing it that way is sadly telling.
Yeh man, the big hits made them money but they only account for 3-5 years of their career, I want them to visit all worthy areas of their music, I hope the reunion covers much of their history, hit or no hit. Most of their music has artistic value (the 80's excepted). Not wanting the surf songs revisiited at the expense of everything else seems entirely reasonable to me.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2012, 12:32:16 PM »

Yeh man, the big hits made them money but they only account for 3-5 years of their career, I want them to visit all worthy areas of their music, I hope the reunion covers much of their history, hit or no hit. Most of their music has artistic value (the 80's excepted). Not wanting the surf songs revisiited at the expense of everything else seems entirely reasonable to me.

The surf/car years may have accounted for a small portion of their career but there's no way getting around that this early work is what secured their fame...not neccessarily "Sail on Sailor" or "All This is That." 
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2012, 12:41:49 PM »

They have enough catalogue to play severa shows without repeating anything.

But for me the money is on performance. I don't care about setlist. Really.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »

The surf/car years may have accounted for a small portion of their career but there's no way getting around that this early work is what secured their fame...not neccessarily "Sail on Sailor" or "All This is That." 
Ya Think?
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2012, 04:11:18 PM »

They have a PBS special coming up.  I don't think that would have happened except for the type of audience that loves to watch Peter Noone and John Sebastian oldies shows on pledge nights.  The oldies audience is the bulk of the Beach Boys' audience.  Even Brian has built tours around surf and car songs being in the set.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »

I've seen Brian's solo tour four times now. I've seen him do all of Pet Sounds, Smile, heard things like Drive-In, And Your Dreams Come True, Add Some Music, etc.

While I would like to see The Beach Boys throw in some cool album cuts this tour, I also want to see a Beach Boys concert complete with Be True To Your School and maybe even Little Old Lady From Pasadena. That's right - I evoked the old lady.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2012, 04:22:24 PM »

I've seen Brian's solo tour four times now. I've seen him do all of Pet Sounds, Smile, heard things like Drive-In, And Your Dreams Come True, Add Some Music, etc.

While I would like to see The Beach Boys throw in some cool album cuts this tour, I also want to see a Beach Boys concert complete with Be True To Your School and maybe even Little Old Lady From Pasadena. That's right - I evoked the old lady.
You of all people to evoke the old lady. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2012, 04:32:01 PM »

Even Brian has built tours around surf and car songs being in the set.

Not exactly true.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2012, 04:33:42 PM »

LOL

Sometimes the old lady just has to be evoked.

I'm not sure what we're talking about anymore.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2012, 04:36:12 PM »

LOL

That you would bring up a song that Mike Love loves to cheese up in concert. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2012, 04:38:08 PM »

LOL

That you would bring up a song that Mike Love loves to cheese up in concert. LOL

Thanks for reminding me!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2012, 04:39:55 PM »

I would to state that The Little Old Lady From Pasadena is the worst song of all time. Discuss.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2012, 04:40:58 PM »

I would to state that The Little Old Lady From Pasadena is the worst song of all time. Discuss.
Songs about Old Ladies in Muscle cars with road rage are amazing! Grin

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2012, 04:46:05 PM »

Oh, come on.

That's all I got.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2012, 04:56:34 PM »

Oh, come on.

That's all I got.

A fair argument. But in my present condition, I cannot think of a song which is worse.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2012, 05:00:01 PM »

Oh, come on.

That's all I got.

A fair argument. But in my present condition, I cannot think of a song which is worse.
Mike Love solo songs or the whole SIP album.

Paulos
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2012, 09:39:18 AM »

Oh, come on.

That's all I got.

Any of the songs from the current top 40s of the UK and USA.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2012, 09:51:12 AM »

Who will the band be playing to for these 60 dates ? Joe Q. Public, his wife and kids, who know the band from maybe 15-20 songs, one of which is "Kokomo": there's going to be enough surprises for them in a 40-song setlist.
I agree with this, but if Joe only knows 15 songs, why can't the other 25 be Smile stuff, 70s stuff, et cetera?

and personally I would never shell out hundreds of dollars to see a band that I was only a casual fan of. what a terrible waste of money.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2012, 11:37:11 AM »

Oh, come on.

That's all I got.

Rock n roll music
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2012, 12:26:27 PM »

Gotta get this off my chest. The reunion really seems a bit crap now, doesn't it?

Car songs.

Surfin' songs.

Surfboards in promo pics.

"Beaches in Mind."

Not a single Pet Sounds song in the mini-set -- no WIBN, no GOK.

"Kokomo."

That hideous single cover.

Wal-Mart.

Jim Peterik writing the lead-off single.

Underwhelming, poorly mixed live appearances.

Utterly disengaged Brian.

I remember saying that I would expect the worst and hope for the best from this reunion. My expectations have been richly fulfilled.

All of you hepping yourselves up over this should calm down. It's not going to be the worst ever, but it seems like it will be richly embarrassing for anyone expecting anything with a smidgen of artistic integrity. Brian was on a winning streak with TLOS and BWRG. He's now singing songs from by Peterik and being produced by Joe Thomas.

How are you all blind to this? I have been trying so hard to think this will be good. But I've given up trying to defend the indefensible. These guys are cashing in, pure and simple. The album is likely going to have a couple of nice new BW things, some recycled stuff, and oodles of dross. No one is interested in pushing themselves -- only using Brian's band as a giant security blanket as they go through the motions of a coast-to-coast cash grab.

Depressing beyond belief.

EDIT: I would love to be proved wrong. I would so love to be proved wrong. But every step of this process has only increased my doubts, rather than assuaging them.

You know what? I don't care. I will calm down when I want to, so far it's fun and I don't mind those guys cashing in. If you don't like it, listen to some music that you do like instead and don't try to spoil it for us. Yes, you do have the right to state your opinion, but don't expect me to think you might be right.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2012, 12:59:02 PM »

Gotta get this off my chest. The reunion really seems a bit crap now, doesn't it?

Car songs.

Surfin' songs.

Surfboards in promo pics.

"Beaches in Mind."

Not a single Pet Sounds song in the mini-set -- no WIBN, no GOK.

"Kokomo."

That hideous single cover.

Wal-Mart.

Jim Peterik writing the lead-off single.

Underwhelming, poorly mixed live appearances.

Utterly disengaged Brian.

I remember saying that I would expect the worst and hope for the best from this reunion. My expectations have been richly fulfilled.

All of you hepping yourselves up over this should calm down. It's not going to be the worst ever, but it seems like it will be richly embarrassing for anyone expecting anything with a smidgen of artistic integrity. Brian was on a winning streak with TLOS and BWRG. He's now singing songs from by Peterik and being produced by Joe Thomas.

How are you all blind to this? I have been trying so hard to think this will be good. But I've given up trying to defend the indefensible. These guys are cashing in, pure and simple. The album is likely going to have a couple of nice new BW things, some recycled stuff, and oodles of dross. No one is interested in pushing themselves -- only using Brian's band as a giant security blanket as they go through the motions of a coast-to-coast cash grab.

Depressing beyond belief.

EDIT: I would love to be proved wrong. I would so love to be proved wrong. But every step of this process has only increased my doubts, rather than assuaging them.

You know what? I don't care. I will calm down when I want to, so far it's fun and I don't mind those guys cashing in. If you don't like it, listen to some music that you do like instead and don't try to spoil it for us. Yes, you do have the right to state your opinion, but don't expect me to think you might be right.

Please pay attention to the rest of the thread. My reasoning is more fully explained there. This board is for discussion, not to make you feel better.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 02:08:30 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2012, 02:26:08 PM »

Wirestone! Your never this pessimistic! We need to find a way to cheer you up, because I LOVE the way this is going so far and I think you will too, soon, I hope.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Bill Ed
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2012, 11:10:19 PM »

I've went into it many, many times on this board, and

YES Quantity reflects QUALITY.  

PERIOD.  

I was reminded of Ron's words when I ran across this.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/12-extremely-disappointing-facts-about-popular-mus
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2012, 11:16:45 PM »

Oh, come on.

That's all I got.

It's little sister and cousin of I Get Around - THE ANAHEIM, AZUSA, AND CUCAMONGA SEWING CIRCLE, BOOK REVIEW, AND TIMING ASSOCIATION - is worse by far
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:31:23 AM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx