gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 09:48:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was the first song you heard from the Beach Boys? (the first you remember!)  (Read 7747 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »

There was a pleasent topic about why we dig this group so much.

The first song i ever remember hearing of the Beach Boys was the 1971 Surf's Up song. I discovered it in some random compilation CD at age 13 and I loved it so much.

When I then investigated the group I found all the fun&summer songs and I wasn't really impressed. The I found GOD and WIBN on Sounds of Summer and the rest is history.  I was quite amazed when I learned that SU was piece in the Smile puzzle!  Grin

Any other similar stories?  Smiley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 04:16:03 PM »

The first I can remember is "Help Me Rhonda".  I thought he was saying "Help Me Ronnie". 
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »

First one I really "listened to" besides the hits was "Surfs Up" because I'd heard BWPS and almost died of awesome.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 06:07:05 PM »

The first songs I remember hearing was in 1964 when my older brother bought the Fun Fun Fun/Why Do Fools Fall In Love 45 single. We wore it out quickly on both sides. My brother playing WDFFIL and me with Fun 3x. I was 6 years old at the time, my bro was 15.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 06:08:23 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 07:23:17 PM »

1993, I was 6, listened the crap out of good vibrations on an "oldies" compilation.  I admittedly thought it was a beatles song  Grin
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 07:54:04 PM »

My most primal Beach Boys memory would be hearing Little Honda on the radio. I guess it really stood out to a seven year old kid for the "First gear, second gear, third gear" part because at that age counting is still cool.  I'm totally serious. And I always pictured the song being about a car, not a motorcycle. Little boys like cars.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
oldsurferdude
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »

"Surfin"
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 08:11:15 PM »

"Surfin Safari" on an AM radio in my backyard in 1962.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 08:13:39 PM »

Believe it or not, it was "Ten Little Indians," on my pocket transistor radio.

SG7
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 08:45:18 PM »

Surfer Girl. It was on a jukebox at a place where my mom and I use to go. I thought it was the most romantic song in the universe as a kid.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 09:08:32 PM »

"I Get Around".  1970.  A guy down the street had an older brother who had the "All Summer Long" album. First time I heard it, I kept asking him to play that one cut over and over.  He thought I was nuts.  I went downtown the next day and bought the 45. 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 09:29:43 PM »

Don't remember when I first heard one of the hits (we had a surf compilation CD when I was a kid), but my first good memory was from a friend around 2007. "What do you mean you haven't heard Good Vibrations?", she asked.

I was entranced. And it was listening to Pet Sounds a couple years later that set me on the spiral to real fandom.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:32:45 PM by Austin » Logged
wavedancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 09:32:52 PM »

I Get Around   1964 I think in the UK this would be the first BB record most of us would have heard.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 10:05:34 PM »

Either Good Vibrations or Help Me Rhonda, back in 1975 when both were playing pretty heavily on the radio.  I thought HMR was by some current nostalgia band, and Good Vibes struck me as weird (I didn't know at the time they were done by the same group, therefore, I made no connection between the two songs).  It would be another five years before I would even have a clue as to who the Beach Boys are, as it took the medley to spark my interest.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 10:48:45 PM »

Difficult to say as they were such a part of the background growing up. I remember singing along to "Help Me Rhonda" when I was very young.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 11:04:58 PM »

Difficult to say as they were such a part of the background growing up. I remember singing along to "Help Me Rhonda" when I was very young.

Similar story.

My first recollection is Vibes, 76 reissue when I was 12. Played the 45 to death - y know, leaving the arm off so the needle returned to the disc on repeat - but then bought 20 Golden Greats and found I'd subliminally known my favourite group for years already, just hadn't associated all those familiar tunes with one band.

“We live in divisive times.”
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 11:36:15 PM »

Aside from any radio playings, my first KNOW listening to the beach boys was a Pet Sounds LP/CD (I got both for £1) in what I assume was Mid-Late 2010, making my first song Wouldn't It Be Nice. Can't really remember my reaction though, but I didn't play it again for a while. when I did though, I played it again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again... and again...

You get the idea  Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 11:51:33 PM »

Yep, same.  I remember being about 8 and nagging mum to buy their greatest hits album (she still has it)  and then around 13 listening to it again full on (annoying my Duran Duran loving friends) and loving, You're so good to me, I played that song to death! I liked it because it said you're kind of small and your such a doll, cos I'm only 5'2  Smiley
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 11:54:06 PM »

Honestly it was probably California Girls or Good Vibrations (thanks to Sunkist).  Like others have mentioned, they were so much a part of the background, everyday music in my young life that it's hard to say.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 11:57:26 PM »

Kokomo. I was  eight years old at the time and loved it.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 04:08:48 AM »

Yep, same.  I remember being about 8 and nagging mum to buy their greatest hits album (she still has it)  and then around 13 listening to it again full on (annoying my Duran Duran loving friends) and loving, You're so good to me, I played that song to death! I liked it because it said you're kind of small and your such a doll, cos I'm only 5'2  Smiley

Me three. For some reason, I remember Fun Fun Fun being played a lot. My mum had the twenty golden greats CD. But that's the only song I remember until I listened to Pet Sounds, which I only listened to because the NME or something did a 'greatest albums' thing with it in, I think.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 04:15:02 AM »

I think Kokomo as I used to watch Full House when I was young.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 04:24:14 AM »

Think it was "Barbara Ann", of all songs. Can't remember where I heard it first, though. Radio, probably.
Really got into them when I was around 15/16. My "music uncle" (like the one in Full House, just older and more beard  Grin) had the GV and Pet Sounds Sessions box sets (among all kinds of cool box sets I saw on that shelf..). One time I visited him in his music shop he said I could listen through all the box set CDs and mix my own Best of The Beach Boys CD in a small "studio" he had set up in the back room of his shop. I'll never forget that. I got past "Barbara Ann" within minutes that day, and was hooked instantly when the piano demo of "Surfin' U.S.A." played at the beginning of disc 1 of the GV box. "Barbara Ann" then didn't even end up on my compilation. Still have that CD somewhere..
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 05:42:09 AM »

I vaguely remember hearing  "Surfin' Safari" first (because it's always seemed familiar) but I definitely remember "Surfin' USA" in '63.
MBE
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 05:55:16 AM »

Good Vibrations because of the Sunkist commercial. I was about 5.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx