gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 01:30:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW Mojo – free CD, Pet Sounds Revisited, BBs cover, 22-page feature!  (Read 15166 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2012, 04:17:17 AM »

Just landed on the doormat:

New (archive) pics, new 2012 sessions pics, interviews with Blondie, Tony Asher, Todd Rundgren, Carol Kaye, Wayne Coyne, Johnny Marr, and apparently all the surviving BBs.

Phew!

It's time for me to cogitate…

Add: the crossword competition prize is the SMiLE Sessions box… the big one.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 04:20:25 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 04:27:15 AM »

Ooh, I might pick that up later to stave off the suicide I will no doubt be contemplating after a 15 hour day in the library. #student

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 04:33:24 AM »

Pet Sounds Revisited

Track One:

Saint Etienne: Wouldn't It Be Nice
Gorgeous, and – get this – throws BARNYARD into the mix!

“We live in divisive times.”
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 04:59:12 AM »

Just landed on the doormat:

Me too!! Saw the green edges to the cover, then the cooper black font and finally the goats as I peeled off the shrink wrap!! Looking forward to reading this one.

Don't have time to go through in depth right now, but the fact this is a 25 page feature is really blowing my mind. Let's hope the fact checking has improved since the smile special.

There's a nice sidebar piece about BW by Wayne Coyne. Kind of makes up for the negative stuff he said previously.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:07:56 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 05:16:59 AM »

That sounds so awesome. If it's $70 like it usually is here I'll buy it but if it's upwards 10 to 15 dollars then I don't know.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 05:38:01 AM »

Pet Sounds Revisited

Track One:

Gorgeous, and – get this – throws BARNYARD into the mix!

Yeah there're some pretty excellent covers going on - standouts for me so far: Saint Etienne, Magnetic North, Jeffrey Lewis, Gaz Combes, Flaming Lips (wow) and Les Liminanas (double wow)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 06:14:05 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 06:50:22 AM »

I should check my college bookstore. They import it.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 06:55:28 AM »

Wow - so Mojo is posting various video covers of Pet Sounds songs.
Here's Lets Go Away For a While with a Vince Guaraldi feel.
It's great.

http://mojomagazine.tumblr.com/post/21429414559/mojo-presents-neil-cowley-trio-lets-go-away-for
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 08:31:07 AM »

Pet Sounds Revisited

Track One:

Gorgeous, and – get this – throws BARNYARD into the mix!

Yeah there're some pretty excellent covers going on - standouts for me so far: Saint Etienne, Magnetic North, Jeffrey Lewis, Gaz Combes, Flaming Lips (wow) and Les Liminanas (double wow)

I'm excited to see/hear this. Specifically Gaz's track: I always liked Supergrass, and heard shades of a BW influence in some of their melodies and chords...I guess he is a fan after all! This will be neat if I can find the issue.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 08:54:07 AM »

I'm excited to see/hear this. Specifically Gaz's track: I always liked Supergrass, and heard shades of a BW influence in some of their melodies and chords...I guess he is a fan after all! This will be neat if I can find the issue.

There was a "Supergrass' Record Collection" article in Q magazine in about 1995 where they chose Friends as one of their ten favourite albums, and mentioned that they used (or wanted to use? This was 17 years ago I read this...) Meant For You as a walk-on track for their shows.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 08:59:35 AM »

There was a "Supergrass' Record Collection" article in Q magazine in about 1995 where they chose Friends as one of their ten favourite albums, and mentioned that they used (or wanted to use? This was 17 years ago I read this...) Meant For You as a walk-on track for their shows.

Very cool, I did not know that! In 1995 I was financially limited with the magazines I could afford to buy, so I definitely wouldn't have seen that in Q. Grin  "In It For The Money" is a terrific disc, because of this thread I'll be spinning it this weekend for sure. Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 09:16:32 AM »

I want to hear this pretty badly but there is no Mojo to be had in Slick City.  Cry
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 09:46:04 AM »

Has this hit the stands at Barnes & Noble for instance? I think they stock it, and I don’t often pick it up, so I don’t know how much time passes between the issue hitting the UK and subscribers and when it hits stands at places like Barnes & Noble…

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
egon spengler
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 10:27:23 AM »

Has this hit the stands at Barnes & Noble for instance? I think they stock it, and I don’t often pick it up, so I don’t know how much time passes between the issue hitting the UK and subscribers and when it hits stands at places like Barnes & Noble…

I always give my local B&N a call to see if they have it in--they're always more than happy to take a look.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 10:34:15 AM »

I called mine. No dice. They say they just turn up at random times. So I guess I'll be calling my B&N every morning.  LOL
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 10:39:31 AM »

I called mine. No dice. They say they just turn up at random times. So I guess I'll be calling my B&N every morning.  LOL

US BRITS HAVE SOMETHING THE GUYS AND GALS IN U.S.A. WON'T  Grin (Unless you pay big bucks that is)

Makes a bloody change  Sad

Anyway you have the rather nice Walmalt special product to look forward to , we won't ! (unless we pay big pounds)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:40:49 AM by Rob Dean » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 02:00:33 PM »

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 02:04:40 PM »

Why does Brian's face look a little off in that pic?  For a second, it seems Photoshopped...
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 02:08:31 PM »

Why does Brian's face look a little off in that pic?  For a second, it seems Photoshopped...
Looks like they shopped Brian's head from this picture for whatever reason.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 02:09:32 PM »

For a second, it seems Photoshopped...
It is. Original source pic:

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 02:13:51 PM »

Excellent, thanks Lowbacca.  I knew it seemd off.  I suppose they wanted a better shot of Brian since his face is pointed lower than any of the others. 

Thanks Ebb and Flow .... did they really swipe the face from the "tent" picture?  Brian's eyes are facing directly at the camera while what we see in the modified pic on Mojo, his eyes are pointed downward towards the animals.  Perhaps they did swipe it but then re-worked the eyes?  Pretty ridiculous what these people can do with pictures today...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:16:05 PM by Justin » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »

Kinda makes him look like this fellow:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SBonilla
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 02:21:10 PM »

Who, Dick Van Dyke?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 02:25:33 PM »

Both equally joyful and sad geniuses who made a lot people smile and forget their day to day worries for a few minutes, and will continue to do so for a long time.

Amen.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 03:03:17 PM »

One of the greatest comedians of all time, he really knew how to make people laugh. Actually I used to be a member of a Laurel and Hardy forum, a true genius.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx