gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:51:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's your favourite live performance of a song?  (Read 3713 times)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2012, 03:45:37 AM »

Mine is 'Let The Wind Blow' from The Beach Boys In Concert. Never been a big fan of the original, but this version is just bliss. Carl at his absolute best.
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 03:47:48 AM »

Mine is 'Let The Wind Blow' from The Beach Boys In Concert. Never been a big fan of the original, but this version is just bliss. Carl at his absolute best.

Agree, that would have been one of my choices as well.
"Marcella" from the same album and "Keepin' The Summer Alive" from Knebworth 1980.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 03:58:01 AM »

Great choices…

Can I Add:

Only With You, Carnegie Hall, '72

Surf's Up, Live in Holland, year unknown.

Also: the live version of We Got Love from the double LP set blows the studio version several miles out of the water!

“We live in divisive times.”
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 04:29:36 AM »

God Only Knows from Live  In London. There's something about it....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 04:40:59 AM »

I agree with Sail On,Brian:
"Let The Wind Blow" from In Concert {1973} is simply Majestic. Carl's voice is absolutely Stunning!

And whilst we're on In Concert, "Sloop John B." from In Concert just happens to be my Favorite of all the versions I've heard in the last 40 years.

Bri~
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 04:49:15 AM »

"Let The Wind Blow" from In Concert {1973} is simply Majestic. Carl's voice is absolutely Stunning!

And whilst we're on In Concert, "Sloop John B." from In Concert just happens to be my Favorite of all the versions I've heard in the last 40 years.

Bri~

They did it great, but IMO 'Sloop John B.' without Brian's falsetto in the middle eight is just not the same.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 04:54:27 AM »

This version of Heroes and Villains:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMFhBROXXsM

It rocks, the crowd are lovin' it, and they all look super funky (love Als' Hat!)

And Darlin live at Knebworth
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 05:02:32 AM »

God Only Knows from Live  In London. There's something about it....

Yes, it is!

But, I can't choose...it would be like being asked to pick which one of my kids is my favorite.

No can do.  Wink

I love it all!

SBonilla
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 05:07:22 AM »

Do you mean a recorded live performance by the Beach Boys?
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 05:20:07 AM »

You can post either a performance you saw on DVD/YouTube, or one you heard, or even one you witnessed.
SBonilla
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 05:29:28 AM »

You can post either a performance you saw on DVD/YouTube, or one you heard, or even one you witnessed.
For the Beach Boys, it was seeing them do Cool, Cool Water at Winterland,. SF, 1971. Another one would be witnessing Dark Star by The Grateful Dead , March `68, Sacramento.
Paulos
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 05:59:36 AM »

"Aren't You Glad" from Beach Boys '69/Live In London, far, far superior to the recorded version IMO, I never liked the song until I heard the live version.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 06:04:12 AM »

Bri~
That bass line - Ed Carter, isn't it? - is my favorite bass performance, all time.

When it comes to shows I've seen I will never forget "I'm Waiting For The Day" live in Stockholm 2002 (BW). Again it was the bass that did it. Unlike the version of the song on the Pet Sounds Live Album, it had a more legato (as opposed to staccato) feel which sounded much more impressive.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 06:29:58 AM »

God only knows from Carnegie Hall 72, with Dennis on the tag
Don't worry baby from In Concert and from 1987
This whole world in 1988
Sail on Sailor from the 90s with Carl on lead vocals
Funky pretty from In Concert

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 08:37:38 AM »

"Aren't You Glad" from Beach Boys '69/Live In London, far, far superior to the recorded version IMO, I never liked the song until I heard the live version.

I agree totally, that live version is bursting with energy while the album version sounds stifled. I think - opening up this discussion again - if the Wild Honey album had a better mix, the energy would be there. As it stands now the album sounds kind of flat.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 08:44:13 AM »

One I've seen in person: God Only Knows performed on the BWPS Smile tour, in Boston. Transcendent. The whole crowd sensed something special was happening, you could feel it sitting there without saying a word, and all at once we gave Brian a thunderous standing ovation after the song, and that noticeably surprised him. It was spontaneous, it was beautiful, I'll never forget it. Couldn't even tell you if a recording exists of that show, if it did in the finest quality I wouldn't listen because the memory of it would outweigh anything I could hear from that show after the fact.

For recordings, there is that version of Help Me Rhonda from 1974 where Dennis sings the lead vocal. That performance is about as fun and as cool as anything, and it's a bit rough around the edges but it rocks so hard and Dennis does a fantastic lead vocal, it couldn't be any better than the way it was done warts-and-all...absolutely one of my favorite live BB's moments.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 08:56:47 AM »

okie from the 1971 gv central park show. love it.
wendy from 1984 huntington wv show. i listen to it over and over never getting tired of hearing it. they sang great 
            that night and my recorder was in fine form.
heaven from the same 1984 show.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »

Hushabye from the Concert outtake on GV Box Set is a nice one!
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 12:53:04 PM »

In total agreement with the first post - Let the Wind Blow. An absolute gem of a live song. Carl pours his heart and soul into this performance. I hardly ever listen to the studio version now.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 01:57:54 PM »

Darlin' from Live In London and Marcella from In Concert.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 05:18:37 PM »

Leaving This Town from In-Concert always leaves me with my jaw on the floor!!!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 05:44:49 PM »

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know which show it was from, but on one of the live cd's (or possibly, a live cut on a package album) there's a fantastic version of "You Still Believe In Me" that Al sings.  AWESOME.  Very well done. 

On the Same CD (I believe!) there's a fantastic version of H&V, with some killer drums towards the end.  Sounds like shotguns it's so over the top.  I love it. 
SG7
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 05:54:58 PM »

Roller Skating Child
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 06:15:16 PM »

Gotta add another vote for "Let the Wind Blow" from In Concert.  I'm not a big fan of live versions of songs in general, but this one is just plain awesome.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 06:57:55 PM »

Title track from Pet Sounds  as done by Brian's band

If it runs amuck, call the duck
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx