gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 06:42:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Song's Bruce Johnston wrote  (Read 7478 times)
EthanJClarke93
« on: April 15, 2012, 04:44:57 AM »

I Only know he did Disney Girls and Of course I Write The Songs (which i think was for David Cassidy and Carl sang backing vocals) but then i think we all know who sang it and it became a huge hit LOL

Anyhow what other songs did he write on The Beach Boys ?
Cause i felt Bruce actually wrote some amazing songs and put in some good arrangements to his songs as well...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 04:47:55 AM »

Bellagio 10452 - Albums

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 06:25:18 AM »

Listen he's a fine singer but I will never understand how I write songs reached #1!? It's very possibly the worst song to get that far.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 06:39:56 AM »

Listen he's a fine singer but I will never understand how I write songs reached #1!? It's very possibly the worst song to get that far.
I suspect a quick perusal of this might help you change your mind.

May I offer up the band Creed as Exhibit A? And as Exhibit B, Nickelback.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_number-one_hits_%28United_States%29

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Paulos
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 07:00:45 AM »

Here ya go:

The Beach Boys

How She Boogalooed It (co-credit)
The Nearest Faraway Place
Deidre (co-credit)
Tears In The Morning
Disney Girls (1957)
Endless Harmony
She Believes In Love Again
Somewhere Near Japan (co-credit)
Slow Summer Dancin'/One Summer Night (co-credit)

The Rip Chords

The Queen (co-credit)
Trophy Machine (co-credit)
Gone (co-credit)
'40 Ford Time (co-credit)
Old Car Made In '52 (co-credit)
Beach Girl (co-credit)
Summer U.S.A. (co-credit)
Big Wednesday (co-credit)

The Bruce Johnston Surfing Band

Surfer's Delight
Mashin' The Popeye
Gee, But I'm Lonesome (co-credit)
Surfer Stomp (co-credit)
Soupy Shuffle Stomp (co-credit)

Bruce Johnston solo

Surfin' 'Round the World (co-credit)
Maksha At Midnight
Down Under (co-credit)
Capetown
Biarritz
Jersey Channel Islands - Part 7
Virginia Beach (co-credit)
Surf-A-Nova
Hot Pastrami, Mashed Potatoes, Come On To Rincon - Yeah!!!
Malibu (co-credit)
Surfin's Here To Stay (co-credit)

I Write The Songs
Thank You Baby
Rendezvous (co-credit)
Rock And Roll Survivor
Don't Be Scared

That's all I can be bothered to do at the moment, there is all the Bruce & Jerry/Terry stuff plus California Music etc to do yet.
SBonilla
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 08:02:15 AM »

Listen he's a fine singer but I will never understand how I write songs reached #1!?
Clive Davis and independent promotion.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 09:23:39 AM »

Because it was Manilow (who had the hit with it, not David Cassidy).  He was the Justin Bieber of his day for a while.  Really. It was one of several Manilow hits.  The '70s were a weird time.

Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 10:05:14 AM »

It's not that bad a song, but it carries the Manilow and Cassidy baggage

Honk! Honk!
EthanJClarke93
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 11:09:16 AM »

Because it was Manilow (who had the hit with it, not David Cassidy).  He was the Justin Bieber of his day for a while.  Really. It was one of several Manilow hits.  The '70s were a weird time.

Well unlike Justin Bieber, Hes actually has Talent.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 11:38:27 AM »

I don't get how people can compare any male pop star to Justin Bieber.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 12:56:48 PM »

I didn't want to offend anybody. If you like I write songs: Sorry!  Cry

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 12:59:45 PM »

It's the screaming female fan base that Manilow had when he was making hit records that I find odd.  I grant that the Manilow man had some talent as a songwriter and performer.  But I don't get why he had the teenybopper following he did in the '70s.  I was watching an old "Odd Couple" episode last week where Felix Unger's daughter dropped out of school to become a Paul Williams groupie.  Did Paul Williams really have teen girls following him around like David Cassidy did?  Since Barry Manilow did, it's entirely possible.  Maybe it says something good about the '70s that slighly trollish looking men had little girls sighing over them.  Though I suppose the Bieb is trollish in his own pretty boy way.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:00:45 PM by mcg1119 » Logged
EthanJClarke93
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 01:05:33 PM »

It's the screaming female fan base that Manilow had when he was making hit records that I find odd.  I grant that the Manilow man had some talent as a songwriter and performer.  But I don't get why he had the teenybopper following he did in the '70s.  I was watching an old "Odd Couple" episode last week where Felix Unger's daughter dropped out of school to become a Paul Williams groupie.  Did Paul Williams really have teen girls following him around like David Cassidy did?  Since Barry Manilow did, it's entirely possible.  Maybe it says something good about the '70s that slighly trollish looking men had little girls sighing over them.  Though I suppose the Bieb is trollish in his own pretty boy way.

Paul Williams and Manilow weren't really teen idols, they were in there 30s at the time of they're popularity. David Cassidy is a different story, when he sang I Write the songs, he was somewhat fading out and When Manilow sang it, it was a mega hit right after his hit Mandy... This is so off-topic  LOL

I Wonder what did Bruce thought of Manilow's version?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:09:38 PM by EthanJClarke93 » Logged
EthanJClarke93
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 01:07:17 PM »

And Supposedly I Write the Songs is about Brian...
Bill Ed
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 01:12:27 PM »

Surely that "honor" belongs to Coming Up. Or, on second thought,  Say Say Say. Or maybe Ebony and Ivory. Dreadful songs all.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 01:15:52 PM »

Paul Williams and Manilow weren't really teen idols, they were in there 30s at the time of they're popularity. David Cassidy is a different story, when he sang I Write the songs, he was somewhat fading out and When Manilow sang it, it was a mega hit right after his hit Mandy... This is so off-topic

I Wonder what did Bruce thought of Manilow's version?

Trust me, Barry Manilow was a teen idol in the mid-'70s.  I was a kid at the time and he was hot stuff among the middle and high school girl set.  It doesn't matter if he was in his thirties.  There's no way he would have had all those big AM Top 40 radio hits without young girls buying those 45's.  I doubt any guys were buying them.  He was even featured in the teen magazines of the day.

What did Bruce think of Manilow's version (to get back on topic)?  I'm sure he was happy to cash the checks.  I'm sure he liked it musically, as well.  It was very close to the version he did on his solo album, only at a slightly faster tempo.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 01:20:02 PM »

Bruce's version from "Going Public":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hz16lpf4ds

Very slow.  It reminds me of the arrangement of "God Only Knows" he did for Jack Jones.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 01:52:22 PM »

Barry Manilow has played a show in Las Vegas for years and sold it out, with largely a female audience that goes crazy for those old songs.

I read an interview with Bruce Johnston who said I Write the Songs was not about Brian.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 02:15:05 PM »

I think Bruce wrote this song with Mike Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtDGXpfIoz8&feature=related

It's a really pretty tune and Bruce sounds fantastic on it. For my money Bruce and Terry were better than Jan and Dean  Grin
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 03:46:21 PM »

Er, because Justin Bieber is a male pop star?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 04:37:42 PM »

Worst song to reach number one? You just come out of a 36 year coma or something?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 05:15:13 PM »

I don't think there's anything wrong with Justin Bieber. Perfectly good for what it is and what it is supposed to be.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 09:47:02 PM »

Nicki minaj is way worse
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 12:12:17 AM »

Nicky Minge is worse by far.

Honk! Honk!
EthanJClarke93
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »

Alot Of Artist today like JB, and Her as well as alot of others are terrible  Angry
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx