gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681102 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 02:15:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys "Fun Fun Fun" at Dodger Stadium  (Read 85303 times)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: April 11, 2012, 02:52:54 PM »

BRING BACK ADRIAN BAKER!!!

No mas, por favor.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 11, 2012, 02:57:27 PM »

That Jeff has 2 mildly, borderline, 'somebodymightbelying' bad stories on a messageboard, weighed against the dozens of good stories I've heard about him, I'm going to go ahead and conclude that he's a human being like the rest of us with a saint and a sinner in him at the same time.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 11, 2012, 03:04:49 PM »

That Jeff has 2 mildly, borderline, 'somebodymightbelying' bad stories on a messageboard, weighed against the dozens of good stories I've heard about him, I'm going to go ahead and conclude that he's a human being like the rest of us with a saint and a sinner in him at the same time.

Sounds good to me (and although it's ridiculously easy for people to hide behind a lie on the internet--I don't participate in that behavior!).  I may have just caught him during an off day or moment.  He may have suspected the group I was with weren't real fans so he singled me out (they all looked like Ebay re-sellers).  Nothing more.  I regret sharing the story now but ah well there it is.  I apologize to any member who was offended by it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:07:15 PM by Justin » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 11, 2012, 03:09:51 PM »

Where does Christian Love rank for you guys?

He is alright.  He does REMIND one of Carl, but that is as far as I can go with that.  Since we're talking falsettos here, I've never heard Christian try falsetto that I know of. 

You don't have the Mike Love, Not War b**t, I take it. Christian takes Carl's falsetto part on "Brian's Back", and sounds really, really like him.

That one is not in my catalog, sir.  Fair enough.I will graciously step aside with that opinion.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #379 on: April 11, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »

all of these stories of how terrible he is seem to consist of him behaving perfectly reasonably but giving off an 'odd vibe' or something.

Shouting at Brian kile he's an annoying child, and looking at someone you've just been introduced to, and then blanking them is reasonable in your book?

Given that studies have shown that most people are much, *much* worse at picking up nonverbal signals than they think they are (and that people can give off bad nonverbal signals based on things like being from a different country or having some neurological issues, none of which affect what kind of person they are) perhaps the benefit of doubt is in order?
I agree, but the signals Jeff were giving off here where pretty blatant

In my post I tried very hard to give an unbiased account, and also not exaggerate it to my own ends. I'm not bothered about him snubbing me, and it was most definitely a calculated snub, but it did help shape my opinion of him, obviously. Honestly Andrew, the way he spoke to Brian was quite shocking. I'm sure I'm not alone on this board in feeling quite protective of Brian. If I worked for him, or with him, shouting at him is something I would never do.

Speaking as a complete outsider who has never met the band, I think Jeff gets an unfair rap.  He does not have an easy job and I think he handles it fairly well.

Like Brian, my brother experiences auditory hallucinations and is medicated for it. You have no idea how quickly minding for someone with that condition can turn you into a narc and a terrible nag, especially when you are around them all the time like Jeff is. Think of how difficult it must be for Brian to stay aware and on task when he has so many internal and external distractions (and, possibly, general disinterest). Unfortunately, it falls into Jeff’s lap to keep him on track, even if that means dragging him along and losing some tact.

I know it must be horrifying to see this dynamic at play, especially when the person you perceive to be demeaned is a hero to you.  But could Brian tour successfully without someone playing that part? (whether or not he should be touring is another debate entirely) From what I’ve seen, Jeff’s nagging is always in effort to get Brian to appear at his best to the world. And I’ve never heard Jeff brag about his position.

In summation, I do not think that the examples provided should lead anyone to believe that Jeff is bad.

Yes, you're probably right. I think the key thing here, as you say, is seeing your hero demeaned. But it's hard for me to change my mind after seeing it first hand.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 11, 2012, 03:10:21 PM »

Sounds good to me (and although it's ridiculously easy for people to hide behind a lie on the internet--I don't participate in that behavior!).  I may have just caught him during an off day or moment.  He may have suspected the group I was with weren't real fans so he singled me out (they all looked like Ebay re-sellers).  Nothing more.  I regret sharing the story now but ah well there it is.  I apologize to any member who was offended by it.

Your personal experiences are very offensive to me, so please refrain from ever telling an anecdote about something that happened to you EVER AGAIN.

No mas, por favor.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 11, 2012, 03:11:06 PM »

When people have posted pictures of personal appearances by Brian at record stores, not at concerts, I've noticed that Jeff has been in some of those photos.  Does Jeff do that out of the goodness of his heart, as it were, or is he paid for it, or a combination of both?  What I'm driving at is that he could be some type of minder, or he could be doing it as a friend.  That relationship goes back over thirty years.  It's hard to know if it's something Brian wants or his management or family wants it that way.  In any case, Jeff has seen Brian during his worst days so it's possible he doesn't expect the best.  It could be it's the detriment or the benefit of Brian, and it's impossible to say which it is.  
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 11, 2012, 03:13:31 PM »

When people have posted pictures of personal appearances by Brian at record stores, not at concerts, I've noticed that Jeff has been in some of those photos.  Does Jeff do that out of the goodness of his heart, as it were, or is he paid for it, or a combination of both?  What I'm driving at is that he could be some type of minder, or he could be doing it as a friend.  That relationship goes back over thirty years.  It's hard to know if it's something Brian wants or his management or family wants it that way.  In any case, Jeff has seen Brian during his worst days so it's possible he doesn't expect the best.  It could be it's the detriment or the benefit of Brian, and it's impossible to say which it is.  

Yes, I'm pretty sure one of Jeff's jobs is "minding" Brian. But I'm sure he does it because he loves the guy, so yeah, out of the goodness of his heart as well.

No mas, por favor.
SBonilla
« Reply #383 on: April 11, 2012, 03:17:42 PM »

Your personal experiences are very offensive to me...
How can that be? Are you gifted?
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 11, 2012, 03:18:46 PM »

NO, I'MMA LIBERAL  Grin

No mas, por favor.
SBonilla
« Reply #385 on: April 11, 2012, 03:24:40 PM »

NO, I'MMA LIBERAL  Grin
You a'rre? OK, whatever.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 11, 2012, 03:28:18 PM »

Is it possible Jeff shouts because Brian is half-deaf?  He's been deaf for life in one ear and may not hear as well with his good ear after a lifetime of playing concerts.  If you've ever been around older people who are losing their hearing, it can be frustrating because when they can't hear you, they ask you to repeat what you said, and you often find yourself repeating it loudly and e-nun-ciat-ing ve-ry slow-ly in hopes they can understand you.  The older person then sometimes gets offended and feels like you're talking to them like a child or disrespecting them, when really all you're doing is trying to help them, because they need you to speak louder and make your syllables more distinct.  
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 11, 2012, 03:32:42 PM »

NO, I'MMA LIBERAL  Grin
You a'rre? OK, whatever.

Nah, I was just trying to rustle some jimmies by implying that liberals get offended easily.

But yeah, I'm gifted. I can rub my stomach and pat my head at the same time while standing on one leg.

No mas, por favor.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 11, 2012, 03:50:26 PM »

I believe (and AGD or someone else can correct me here) that Jeff is the only full-time member of the BW band, and it's because of these various body-guard style duties.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 11, 2012, 04:20:24 PM »

I think what we're all getting at is: with Jeff's various bodyguard-like duties etc, he's not exactly the guy we want to have to suffer through basically fronting the band! It's kind of like if Stan Love had been up there singing cranked up way higher than the Beach Boys simply because he "works there"

I have no opinion of Jeff as a person but I don't like his voice, he sounds nothing like Brian or a Beach Boy (so he's the worst guy to be stunt-doubling Brian) Matt Jardine sounded like he belonged there. It is an important point.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 11, 2012, 04:59:33 PM »

I think what we're all getting at is: with Jeff's various bodyguard-like duties etc, he's not exactly the guy we want to have to suffer through basically fronting the band! It's kind of like if Stan Love had been up there singing cranked up way higher than the Beach Boys simply because he "works there"

I have no opinion of Jeff as a person but I don't like his voice, he sounds nothing like Brian or a Beach Boy (so he's the worst guy to be stunt-doubling Brian) Matt Jardine sounded like he belonged there. It is an important point.

That's more or less my feeling on him - I'm sure he's a good guy who has a very trying job, I just don't think his falsetto works well in the blend a lot of the time.  If we were somehow able to take the personal/political dynamics out of play, I'm sure they could find a more appropriate falsetto singer to cover those parts (be in Christian Love, Matt Jardine, whoever), but Jeff has that job locked up for the foreseeable future.  The best we can hope for is that he isn't overly prominent at the shows and (more importantly) on the album.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 11, 2012, 05:18:54 PM »

These stories don't sound so bad, with the exception of IHA's. But, hell, I bet it can't be easy working with BW sometimes. He can make it very difficult for his band just by dragging his feet (see the Smile DVD), and he's never been the kind of guy to just outright say 'No' to anybody. It's passive-aggression. And having to keep reasonable at all times in the light of that might look like you're being patronising or whatever, but I guess the alternative is getting angry and that'd be even worse, Stan & Rocky levels of 'hell, no'.

Still, that sounds like a pretty uncool thing to witness and I'm not doubting that.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 11, 2012, 05:19:42 PM »

There must be an anti-nepotism policy keeping Beach Boys' offspring out of the reunion band.  So, no Matt Jardine or Christian Love.  
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 11, 2012, 05:39:51 PM »

Matt doesn't sound like that anymore live, sadly. Recent YT clips show that time has not been kind to his instrument. So you have to pick your poison, knowing it won't be to everyone's taste. Foskett has always struck me as a decent, acceptable sub on the falsetto parts. Obviously, yes, he does have a bit of a synthetic, I-can't-believe-it's-not-Brian sound, but it's never grated on me that much.

The other thing is, which no one ever acknowledges, is that Jeff had a perfectly acceptable career on his own as a singer and songwriter (number three in Japan!). It's not like he was a janitor or anything. He was capable of supporting himself, and he was well-regarded in the years before BW's band began. I have enjoyed a lot of his solo records. No one went into Brian's band thinking it would turn into 10 years-plus of their lives. I mean, the band basically ended the Wondermints' career.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:46:16 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 11, 2012, 05:57:24 PM »

In an effort to balance things, I'm a big fan of Jeff and part of that has to do with how nice he was to me when I met him (after Brian's opening set at one of the shows they played with Paul Simon).  I stood in line for Brian's autograph and after getting it, I walked over to Jeff who was standing nearby and asked him to sign my ticket stub.  While he was definitely "cold" to me, he obliged and chatted with me about different stuff including his (new at the time) version of "Everything I Need".  I told him I planned on ordering the album (12 x 12) once I got my bank account (and check card) back on track.  (I don't use actual credit cards and the overdraft on my account meant I couldn't use my check card for a while.)  It wasn't a sob story but he told me to send him an e-mail with my info, which I did the next day.  Then a couple days later I was very pleasantly surprised to find a complimentary copy of the CD in my mailbox!

Later I found out that like a number of singers out there, he tries to speak as little as possible when on the road, especially before shows, to keep his voice in better shape and figured that may have something to do with his seeming "curt" to many people, especially since I myself even got that vibe, before I realised his continuing our conversation led me to believe he had no problem with me; which was confirmed later by his generosity.

So while I do like me some Matt Jardine (a lot) and respect his family connection to the group, for me, Jeff's the guy I want up there with Brian, singing those falsetto parts, and with a 31 year history with the band, I'd say he's practically family as well; especially for Brian!

...just my two cents. Undecided
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:25:30 PM by Phoenix » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 11, 2012, 06:02:51 PM »

I am ridiculously tempted to start a joke thread entitled 'The Fictional Crimes of Jeff Foskett' but it would probably turn into this again.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 11, 2012, 06:05:54 PM »

Maybe Jeff's done dirt, and deserves to be in the band because of what he's put up with.

Maybe sometimes when he goes to pick Brian up, Brian's naked. 
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 11, 2012, 06:06:53 PM »

I heard one time Jeff coughed into his hand and then continued cooking dinner without washing the germs off.

No mas, por favor.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 11, 2012, 06:29:19 PM »

I am ridiculously tempted to start a joke thread entitled 'The Fictional Crimes of Jeff Foskett' but it would probably turn into this again.

I tried that several years ago when the Melinda-bashing got out of control. The thread was a beaut, but its title (which I shan't repeat here) was perhaps a bit much. Do a bit of Googling and you'll run across it.

Interestingly, it ended up purging a lot of the poison about her. Funny -- I've heard much less about Melinda's evils since the board started ragging on Jeff. At least it's less sexist!

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 11, 2012, 06:31:14 PM »

There must be an anti-nepotism policy keeping Beach Boys' offspring out of the reunion band.  So, no Matt Jardine or Christian Love.  

It could be. I've said before that of all the falsetto BB sidemen these days, my vote goes to Kirsch. He has an unaffected, clean, delivery, a thick sound throughout his high range. Also, a low profile that won't take away from the spotlight any original member.

Nevertheless:
Jeff is an extremely competent singer, and a more than skilled guitarist. He can fill in for everybody with the exception of Mike. He has the trust of every original BB on this tour. He's worked with them all. His story with them goes way back. Brian trusts him and relies entirely on Jeff and, as Wirestone puts it, this reunion would not happen without Jeff. He had Carl's total musical support when he joined the band (when Carl came back into the BBs, he audioned Jeff doing Warmth of the Sun).

To me, he seems like a genuinely nice guy witha dream job that must, at times, be hard to bear. And he must be very good and reliable at what he does, given how many years he's been doing it.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx