gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:32:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "That's Why God Made The Radio" Single!  (Read 251548 times)
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1025 on: April 26, 2012, 02:41:48 AM »

Seems like I accidentally started my own thread http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12801.0.html on this topic (must have got over-excited...). Makes more sense to be here...

Anyway, a new single from the Beach Boys could have been atrocious, but it isn't! So thank god for that, and for the radio!  Wink

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Mike Lovechild
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: April 26, 2012, 02:48:02 AM »

Check out the video I made for the single :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upv6R5miYaQ
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1027 on: April 26, 2012, 02:54:36 AM »

Good work!

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: April 26, 2012, 03:00:51 AM »

Check out the video I made for the single :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upv6R5miYaQ

Now, where that was OKAY, I think you need to work on it SOME. Take a lesson from me, for instance, next time you attempt to make a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JJi7tLW8DU

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mike Lovechild
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: April 26, 2012, 03:16:38 AM »

It's certainly not perfect, looking forward to checking out your video (too much Youtube in work makes it look like I'm not working!  Smiley )
mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: April 26, 2012, 03:39:59 AM »

I can't get this song out of my head!!!  Why do I feel like Brian is playing a practical joke on me?  Roll Eyes
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1031 on: April 26, 2012, 03:52:43 AM »

This song demands radio play. Hope it gets a lot of attention

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: April 26, 2012, 04:22:30 AM »

I see absolutely no mention of the fact the song is available for download on the beach boys facebook page, no promotion on the itunes front page, it just dropped out of nowhere..

Typical BS from Capitol

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: April 26, 2012, 04:55:04 AM »

I see absolutely no mention of the fact the song is available for download on the beach boys facebook page, no promotion on the itunes front page, it just dropped out of nowhere..

Typical BS from Capitol

technically the facebook page posted the video which tells you it's available for download.  they did so 18 hours ago
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: April 26, 2012, 04:58:14 AM »

Typical BS from Capitol

technically the facebook page posted the video which tells you it's available for download.  they did so 18 hours ago

It hardly does..

And it's not that hard to post the itunes link, make it easy as possible for people..

And the no promotion on itunes is inexcusable

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Luke_Barshack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: April 26, 2012, 05:55:43 AM »

Typical BS from Capitol

It hardly does..

And it's not that hard to post the itunes link, make it easy as possible for people..

And the no promotion on itunes is inexcusable

Agreed. I was searching on my iPhone at work. It took me longer than I'd have like to find it on itunes. A poor show I feel. There should have been a huge splash - AT LEAST on the BB artist page.

Have been listening to it non-stop though. It has it's flaws but I think it's the perfect reunion record. Pretty much all of the boxes, for everyone, have been ticked.

Can't wait to listen to it in the car on the way home.

BBC 6 Music here in the UK gave it a mention and a bit of a lukewarm response to be honest. They also joked that they didn't have much hope the boys would even finish the tour due to the turbulent relationships of some band members. They said the single is "exactly what you'd expect". I do know what they mean, but I honestly don't think that's a bad thing.

I've been trying to request the station to spin it ever since but haven't heard anything yet.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: April 26, 2012, 06:17:27 AM »

I bought it off iTunes this morning, and I love it...a perfect record for the reunion!

I will admit it took me a few listens to fully get into; I went back and played Don't Fight the Sea to help my ears adjust, and I think that helped. What I love about TWGMTR is that it's very Doo Wop, and that you can hear all of the individual voices in there. I must give props to whoever did the mix; the stereo balance is very nice IMO. I am really excited to hear the rest of the record; there still is that classic element to the Beach Boys, and I hope that they can make a record with some humor to it as well! Bring on the bass vocals and songs about root beer!  Smiley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: April 26, 2012, 07:00:12 AM »

This has to be Brian's finest lead vocal in the last 30 years. His voice is smooth, he holds all of his notes properly, instead of cutting off too soon and sounding breathy. The background vocals are really beautiful. I hardly recognize Mike's voice. Nothing nasal at all. Al and Bruce sound fantastic. The only thing missing really is Carl. There is something distinct in his singing that when you hear it, you instantly know it is The Beach Boys that you are listening to. My wife picked up on it right away, saying "That really sounds nice, but it doesn't quite sound like The Beach Boys". Maybe, they could have added Chris Love to the background vocals, as he sounds the most like Carl. Minor complaint though, as overall, Im just loving having a new Beach Boys record to listen to. Wonderful!!!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:30:20 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
obscurereference
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: April 26, 2012, 07:45:07 AM »

Wow, just bought just bought my very first NEW Beach Boys single (didn't think I'd ever get a chance to say that), and it also happens to be pretty good! Good time to be a fan...

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: April 26, 2012, 08:29:33 AM »

I can't get this song out of my head!!!  Why do I feel like Brian is playing a practical joke on me?  Roll Eyes

It makes you wonder if there's an art to it.  Exactly how do you write a catchy song?  It has to be pretty simple, it has to have just enough cheese to make it rememberable, and to hit that part in you that actually DOES like love songs, or nostalgia, etc.... but can't go over the line or it's just annoying.  This song seems to walk the line with that. 

I think one of the great things about some of the Beach Boys songs is how the lyrics are almost bad, but the voices are so unbelievably great that you can't possibly say the song isn't good.  I mean they just sound great on this, and the harmonies still have Brian's brilliance dripped on them. 

I've heard tons of people refeerred to as 'like the Beach Boys' over the years, but I have yet to hear anybody who does that vocal stack like that.  It's simple, you just add something on top, or strip this down, or go acapella but yet nobody else does it.  It must be harder than it looks, like this song is a little better than it looks. 

Interesting. 
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: April 26, 2012, 08:56:36 AM »

My question is: Which bits did Brian write?

The descending doo wop piano runs behind the verses sound totally Brian. The way the chords shift unexpectedly for the 3rd and fourth bars ("from the dashboard of my car") seem typical of his writing style, remindng me of Keep an Eye on Summer and Warmth of the sun.

The "Cruisin at 7" part also sounds uniquely Brian. It reminds me very much of the "I look in the mirror" lines from Goin On.

But then if you were to construct a Beach Boys soundalike record and were well versed in the music, I guess you could kind of cut and paste from different songs and produce a convincing Brian style, if you were a skillful enough writer.

Any thoughts on Brian's involvement with this?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: April 26, 2012, 09:02:49 AM »

I could be incredibly naieve, but Brian talks about writers block from time to time... that leads me to believe he has a confidence issue.  So perhaps he has trouble coming up with ideas.

HOWEVER, if you were to walk up to Brian with a song written called "That's Why God Made The Radio", and tell him you want him to finish it up and make it a Beach Boys record... I would imagine he'd jump right in, change a few lines he didn't like, add some chords, drop a couple parts, and make a pretty different track out of what he started with. 

He doesn't strike me as not capable of production anymore like others have suggested, as a matter of fact I think he really still enjoys doing that.  When you have an entire room full of great musicians, it's really easy to bang out on a piano some different chords (If you're Brian) and play around with the song a little bit. 

So I would assume (there's that word) that Brian took a finished song, was told to rewrite part of it, changed a third or so of it and added more vocal lines.  From what I understand he comes up with harmonies on the fly, half the vocals you're hearing he probably added on top of what was on the original song. 
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1042 on: April 26, 2012, 09:03:23 AM »

My question is: Which bits did Brian write?

The descending doo wop piano runs behind the verses sound totally Brian. The way the chords shift unexpectedly for the 3rd and fourth bars ("from the dashboard of my car") seem typical of his writing style, remindng me of Keep an Eye on Summer and Warmth of the sun.

The "Cruisin at 7" part also sounds uniquely Brian. It reminds me very much of the "I look in the mirror" lines from Goin On.

But then if you were to construct a Beach Boys soundalike record and were well versed in the music, I guess you could kind of cut and paste from different songs and produce a convincing Brian style, if you were a skillful enough writer.

Any thoughts on Brian's involvement with this?
It's anybody's guess, but lyrically I am thinking "it's paradise when I lift up my antenna" is a Brian line. Musically, I think he may have been the one to suggest the modulations/chord changes in the chorus, especially the last "That's Why God..." in each chorus, which has that ominous minor 7th feel. These are the parts that screamed Brian Wilson to me.

The part which seems anti-Brian or un-Brian is the bridge, which I am guessing was written by Thomas/Peterik.

- B00ts
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: April 26, 2012, 09:05:49 AM »

Oh, and BTW, this is essentially what Brian has been doing for 3 or 4 years now.  Taking others songs (Gershwin; Disney) and basically reimagining them.  Some of the songs on his last two albums were very different than the originals, I imagine this song by EyeOfTheTigerGuy was given the same treatment by Brian, and possibly a few new lyrics.  I agree the antennae line sounds Brianish. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1044 on: April 26, 2012, 09:11:14 AM »

Typical BS from Capitol

53 minutes ago it was posted on facebook.

The Beach Boys
Download the new Beach Boys single - "That's Why God Made The Radio" now on iTunes. http://bit.ly/IQP0vd

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: April 26, 2012, 09:13:57 AM »

What we need is the original Peterik demo…  Has it been booted?  Does Phil C know?  Where is he when you need him…

“We live in divisive times.”
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: April 26, 2012, 09:14:44 AM »

Ron I think you are bang on correct here.

I could be incredibly naieve, but Brian talks about writers block from time to time... that leads me to believe he has a confidence issue.  So perhaps he has trouble coming up with ideas.

HOWEVER, if you were to walk up to Brian with a song written called "That's Why God Made The Radio", and tell him you want him to finish it up and make it a Beach Boys record... I would imagine he'd jump right in, change a few lines he didn't like, add some chords, drop a couple parts, and make a pretty different track out of what he started with. 

He doesn't strike me as not capable of production anymore like others have suggested, as a matter of fact I think he really still enjoys doing that.  When you have an entire room full of great musicians, it's really easy to bang out on a piano some different chords (If you're Brian) and play around with the song a little bit. 

So I would assume (there's that word) that Brian took a finished song, was told to rewrite part of it, changed a third or so of it and added more vocal lines.  From what I understand he comes up with harmonies on the fly, half the vocals you're hearing he probably added on top of what was on the original song. 
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: April 26, 2012, 09:23:25 AM »

It's anybody's guess, but lyrically I am thinking "it's paradise when I lift up my antenna" is a Brian line. Musically, I think he may have been the one to suggest the modulations/chord changes in the chorus, especially the last "That's Why God..." in each chorus, which has that ominous minor 7th feel. These are the parts that screamed Brian Wilson to me.

The part which seems anti-Brian or un-Brian is the bridge, which I am guessing was written by Thomas/Peterik.
[/quote]

I agree that the bridge is the weakest part of the song and does not sound like Brian wrote it. Now watch--it'll come out that the bridge was Brian's contribution!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1048 on: April 26, 2012, 09:29:07 AM »

I'm gonna be the first to say it

Brian can "lift my antenna" any day.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: April 26, 2012, 09:35:28 AM »

I agree that the bridge is the weakest part of the song and does not sound like Brian wrote it. Now watch--it'll come out that the bridge was Brian's contribution!

Yeah - the sole contribution! It wouldn't surprise me.

I could be incredibly naieve, but Brian talks about writers block from time to time... that leads me to believe he has a confidence issue.  So perhaps he has trouble coming up with ideas.

He doesn't strike me as not capable of production anymore like others have suggested, as a matter of fact I think he really still enjoys doing that.  When you have an entire room full of great musicians, it's really easy to bang out on a piano some different chords (If you're Brian) and play around with the song a little bit.  

So I would assume (there's that word) that Brian took a finished song, was told to rewrite part of it, changed a third or so of it and added more vocal lines.  From what I understand he comes up with harmonies on the fly, half the vocals you're hearing he probably added on top of what was on the original song.  

Yeah this sounds about right.

I can also understand the need to hire other writers to create a quintessentially Beach Boys record. I doubt Brian would have the right perspective to be able to do that, ironically enough. That said, a lot of the tracks from TLOS, with rewritten lyrics, could have made perfect Beach Boy material, just not necessarily recognisably BB to the average Joe, in the same way this is.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 49 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx