gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 06:19:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "That's Why God Made The Radio" Single!  (Read 254155 times)
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: April 24, 2012, 04:36:30 AM »

Just listened again, I'm gonna state my honest opinion so don't kill me.

This is probably my favorite Beach Boys song since Love You.
Hands down. Fantastic. Not even for 71 year olds, in general, one of their best.

Hell of a statement to make before even hearing the full thing

Yeah seriously.  Gonna reserve judgement on this tune until I have a chance to hear the whole thing in its entirety. 

Meh, we've heard both verses, and the chorus, bridge, and fade. I should say this is LOOKING like it.

Track length is listed at 3:17.  That's almost a minute more than we've heard.  I'm not so sure we've heard the bridge...maybe part of it.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #926 on: April 24, 2012, 05:05:48 AM »

Hands down. Fantastic. Not even for 71 year olds, in general, one of their best.

Yeah seriously.  Gonna reserve judgement on this tune until I have a chance to hear the whole thing in its entirety. 

Meh, we've heard both verses, and the chorus, bridge, and fade. I should say this is LOOKING like it.

I'm with ya man. Best BB new product since Love You.

I'd say since "Goin' On"
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 24, 2012, 05:18:55 AM »

I'd say since "Goin' On"

I'd say probably their best since "Somewhere Near Japan". Grin
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 24, 2012, 05:36:11 AM »

This sounds terrific. Those chords! Lots of those uncommon jazz voicings that BW typically uses on his best work.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 24, 2012, 06:07:58 AM »

Definitely the best one since "Do It Again 2011"!

ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: April 24, 2012, 06:12:16 AM »

from BB facebook : “That’s Why God Made The Radio” makes its national radio premiere Wednesday 4-25 on ESPN Radio’s “Mike & Mike In the Morning” on ESPN Radio & ESPN2. (6AM-10AM ET/PT, check local stations).
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 24, 2012, 06:14:19 AM »

Looks like Mr. Marks was just off by a few Wednesdays!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 24, 2012, 06:18:28 AM »

This sounds terrific. Those chords! Lots of those uncommon jazz voicings that BW typically uses on his best work.

The song isn't by Brian, though.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 24, 2012, 06:26:36 AM »

Some of it is.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 24, 2012, 06:35:44 AM »

Some of it is.

Arrangement and production,  most definitely. The actual tune? We haven't seen any evidence that Brian had a ha d in it. Written by Thomas and Peterik.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 24, 2012, 06:42:37 AM »

Some of it is.

Arrangement and production,  most definitely. The actual tune? We haven't seen any evidence that Brian had a ha d in it. Written by Thomas and Peterik.

So the myth that the song might be based off of a Brian Wilson scrap from the eighties is just that?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 24, 2012, 06:45:23 AM »

We shall see who's names are included in the writer's credit in a couple of days.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 24, 2012, 06:51:20 AM »

Some of it is.

So the myth that the song might be based off of a Brian Wilson scrap from the eighties is just that?

I've never heard that.

There was some speculation here a few weeks back that it might have originated with BW in some way, but it was only speculation. The account of the song's origin from Peterik doesn't mention anything like that.

I personally believe BW will have a credit on the tune, but possibly for political reasons.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 24, 2012, 06:52:36 AM »

Some of it is.

Arrangement and production,  most definitely. The actual tune? We haven't seen any evidence that Brian had a ha d in it. Written by Thomas and Peterik.
Who cares who wrote it. If it is a quality song with a great arrangement, and given the Beach Boy treatment, then I am fine with it. Brian doesn't have to write everything. Except for Sunflower, albums like Today & Pet Sounds had at least one track not written by Brian or one of the band members. You make it seem like it isn't worthy just because Brian didn't write it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 24, 2012, 06:55:55 AM »

Some of it is.

Arrangement and production,  most definitely. The actual tune? We haven't seen any evidence that Brian had a ha d in it. Written by Thomas and Peterik.
Who cares who wrote it. If it is a quality song with a great arrangement, and given the Beach Boy treatment, then I am fine with it. Brian doesn't have to write everything. Except for Sunflower, albums like Today & Pet Sounds had at least one track not written by Brian or one of the band members. You make it seem like it isn't worthy just because Brian didn't write it.

Not saying I care. At least not today. Simply trying to keep things accurate.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 24, 2012, 07:02:21 AM »

Well, you commented on RONDEMON's posting regarding chords and uncommon jazz voicings. Whether Brian wrote it or not, he would have added all that in the arrangement. He didn't need to write the song to do those things. And yes, accuracy is indeed a good thing. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:04:37 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 24, 2012, 07:07:47 AM »

I'd say since "Goin' On"

Goin' on is a poorly-recorded great song.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 24, 2012, 08:05:21 AM »

I'm new to this Board, but have been obsessively reading it for the past couple of months. Just wanted to say for my inaugural post that, all criticisms aside, TWGMTR is amazing and has been absolutely worth the wait. Cannot wait for the new tour and for the meet and greet on May 12 in Uncasville!!!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #943 on: April 24, 2012, 09:01:23 AM »

Well, you commented on RONDEMON's posting regarding chords and uncommon jazz voicings. Whether Brian wrote or not, he would have added all that in the arrangement. He didn't need to write the song to do those things. And yes, accuracy is indeed a good thing. Smiley

Exactly, Brian didn't write Sloop John B either. but the Beach Boys version certainly don't sound like this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk7I_KWkswQ

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 24, 2012, 09:19:53 AM »

Listening to the amazon sample, this song seems like a pretty seamless continuation of Brian's solo career as far as over all sound/production go. Me likey.  Grin
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: April 24, 2012, 10:36:46 AM »

This is going to be the best song since TWGMTR (the promo video)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 24, 2012, 10:52:14 AM »

You're kidding me. This is not written by Brian? I'm surprised as there are so many parts of it that sound uniquely BW - the little descending doo woppy piano runs, the chord changes. More power to those that aren't bothered - I find it pretty wearisome that they're seemingly churning out fake Brian songs and for the lead single too! Sure, it shouldn't matter if the end result is a good song, but I feel disappointed to hear this. Maybe I'm sick of the constant did he/didn't he debates that plague Brian's work these days but this kind of undermines any interest I had in this reunion.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 24, 2012, 11:06:13 AM »

Any idea if there is going to be a physical release yet - and will it be up on the UK amazon for download too - I still have a voucher to redeem!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #948 on: April 24, 2012, 11:14:42 AM »

You're kidding me. This is not written by Brian? I'm surprised as there are so many parts of it that sound uniquely BW - the little descending doo woppy piano runs, the chord changes. More power to those that aren't bothered - I find it pretty wearisome that they're seemingly churning out fake Brian songs and for the lead single too! Sure, it shouldn't matter if the end result is a good song, but I feel disappointed to hear this. Maybe I'm sick of the constant did he/didn't he debates that plague Brian's work these days but this kind of undermines any interest I had in this reunion.

*Sigh* We've been over this before...we DON'T know for sure that Brian didn't write TWGMTR...all we know for sure is that Joe Thomas, Jim Peterik (formerly of Survivor) and some other guy all contributed to the writing of this song.  Brian may very well have had the initial inspiration (ala "Sail On Sailor") and if so, probably wrote something like the chorus hookline, after which it was handed off to others to finish and demo, after which it maybe came back to Brian to arrange the chordal structure and background harmonies in his inimmitable way.  I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.  In the meantime, I can say I think that's a very Brian-sounding title!
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 24, 2012, 11:33:42 AM »

I don't care if Grill Chingos (a man I just made up) wrote the song. Whoever did write it really did their Brian Wilson chord dictionary research.
Sounds great and those chords are heavenly and the key to why the BB's music has THAT quality to it that makes those harmonies so mindblowing.

Major 7s, Ab/Bb (and voicings like that).

So good. Can't wait to hear the whole song.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 49 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx