gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:23:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Tune: Never Could Keep Count  (Read 1829 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2012, 03:58:07 PM »

I wrote this today. Think the good weather helps me write songs, no matter how maudlin or Dylanesque. I'm in two minds whether to 'arrange' it fully. But it sounds a lot better than that other nonsense I posted the other day, at least.  Grin

http://soundcloud.com/samblack-1/never-could-keep-count

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 04:19:22 PM »

Thumbs Up

Really love the lyrics/vibe of it. If you arrange it definitely try to keep the acoustic as the main centerpiece.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 05:25:03 PM »

I like this one hypehat.  Also reminds me how much I need to work on my lyrics (which seems to be a hopeless cause).

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 02:56:55 AM »

That's great!!!

With a vague hint of Drake somewhere in the vocals, like smoke in Pinot.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 05:22:26 AM »

For a second there I thought you meant Drake the rapper and I was going to get mad  Grin

Thanks everybody! It's the first complete song I've written in bloody ages, which is nice.

Mypetsounds, are you kidding? I still keep humming that last one you posted from time to time, It Doesn't Get Much Better. Have you written anything lately?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 09:21:28 PM »

I am glad to hear the song has stuck with you.  I've written a sort of bridge for that song and need to record it...but what I really need...more lyrics.  I'm stuck.  Either I am inspired, which usually gets me a line or two, or I sit down to write and come up with cliche or something that sounds too academic.  In fact my favorite lyrical accomplishment is a sort of love song about how my lyrics all come out cliche (ironcially they don't in that particular song).

Anyway, I will try to post something here soon...I just need time to either start a bandcamp page (or some such page) or find time to convert to video for youtube.  Any recommendations regarding bandcamp v soundcloud?  Can anyone start such a page?  Are there costs involved?  What sort of limitations exist with each?

Great to be back posting, hopefully I'll be able to contribute more in the near future.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 04:48:12 AM »

I don't know about bandcamp, but you get two hours on Soundcloud completely free, and it's fairly simple and cool to use. If you're business-minded, you can make people pay for stuff on Bandcamp, I guess.

I can't really help wrt lyrics - just stick at it, and try and be honest with your writing. If it's a cliche, I guess it's a cliche! If you're trying to force yourself into writing like someone it's going to sound forced - by all means pick up tricks from other writers (Van Dyke Parks' inner rhymes and puns are a big influence on me, for instance), but don't copy. Have no fear, just write what you like. You're doing this for your own enjoyment, right?

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 01:57:10 PM »

Nice song Hypehat, - my vote goes for arranging it fully.

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 08:43:36 PM »

I don't know about bandcamp, but you get two hours on Soundcloud completely free, and it's fairly simple and cool to use. If you're business-minded, you can make people pay for stuff on Bandcamp, I guess.

I can't really help wrt lyrics - just stick at it, and try and be honest with your writing. If it's a cliche, I guess it's a cliche! If you're trying to force yourself into writing like someone it's going to sound forced - by all means pick up tricks from other writers (Van Dyke Parks' inner rhymes and puns are a big influence on me, for instance), but don't copy. Have no fear, just write what you like. You're doing this for your own enjoyment, right?

I didn' realize bandcamp was for profit.  Appparently reverbnation is as well.  As I don't expect anyone to pay money for my songs I'll head on over to soundcloud and try to get a page started.  It beats trying to create a video for youube each time.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx