gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:40:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So I covered Had To Phone Ya today for no apparent reason  (Read 1508 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2012, 04:45:34 PM »

And, well, why not? Of course, I took it upon myself to throw out one of Brian's most interesting chord sequences and turn it into a doo-wop song, because it would appear I'm an asshole today.

http://soundcloud.com/samblack-1/had-to-phone-ya-beach-boys

Go easy  Wink
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:52:51 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:20:29 PM »

That was a fun experiment. I like your vocal parts a lot.

I think it'd be interesting to hear this again, with just the acoustic guitar and in 6/8, but with the original chord progression (or something very close to that). Did you happen to try that before you recorded it this way?
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 05:27:33 PM »

I'm not a big fan of the original song but I liked this arrangement so much I went back to give it a listen.  My opinion of the original didn't change but somehow your version caused the original lyrics to have a great impact on me.  Cool stuff, thanks for doing it.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:24:31 AM »

Very kind of you! Don't think much of it myself, tbh.

I gave it a little go with the original chords, but they're kind of weird to shoehorn into a doo-wop rhythm - the real track has a lot of stops and starts. Plus, I love me the doo-wop  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 05:33:54 AM »

I gave it a little go with the original chords, but they're kind of weird to shoehorn into a doo-wop rhythm - the real track has a lot of stops and starts. Plus, I love me the doo-wop  Grin
You should do some live in london street corner doo-wop. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 09:26:38 PM »

In all seriousness, my first thought when I heard your version was, "I don't remember liking this song".  Then it occured to me that the original didn't sound quite the same...or that somehow I'd really missed something.  And again, the lyrics seemed bland to me in the original, but the doo-wop gives a whole new feel/meaning to the words.  I would enjoy hearing your take fleshed out.

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 03:28:25 PM »

Great cover!!!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 05:50:20 PM »

Aw, thank you guys. You are very forgiving  LOL

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx