gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:53:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When was Brian at his lowest ebb??, !976?, 1982?, 1991?. And why discuss...  (Read 9369 times)
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 11:00:03 PM »

To bring other years in here, I think 1977/78 included many low ebbs, too many.
The first Landy era was a no-go, he was back into drugs, the divorce, the stress of touring + recording.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 11:15:04 PM »

I do agree that That Lucky Old Sun is a near masterpiece. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Brian Wilson should be remembered for three albums, Pet Sounds, Smile, and That Lucky Old Sun.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 11:29:55 PM »

The Gershwin album is a monster. Really. Probably the most inspired BW production (as opposed to songwriting) for decades. And the vocals are better than anything he's done since before blowing out his voice. Disney is a relatively slight album, but very pleasant and with some inspired ideas. Works better with the Amazon bonus tracks in place of some of the more recent Disney tunes.

The thing is, we see so little of Brian, really. I mean, we're mainly talking about interviews (and some music, but that's really a matter of taste). And there's no question that Brian's interviews over the last 15 years or so have generally declined in quality. But he also gives a lot more of them. It's hard for me to see those two things as unconnected. He's just less interested in that part of the biz, and I don't think it really says much about the man's inner being or creative soul.

Let's put it this way -- there are also interviews where, for whatever reasons, he decides to be engaged. And it's still the same guy there.

http://www.cbc.ca/strombo/videos.html?id=1972020454
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:33:55 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 12:01:36 AM »

Did Brian really say that "lollipop of mediocrity" line?  Grin

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 12:08:14 AM »

I think it must be sort of awkward for Brian that very obviously drugged-out recordings of him doing music exist that fans could easily acquire if they were so inclined, haha. Things like the infamous cocaine/hamburger sessions, "Teardrops On My Bed", or the various clips on Endless Bummer. How does Brian feel about this or does he more than likely not care?
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 04:33:40 AM »

It blows your mind that Brian's outlived his entire immediate family !
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 05:11:30 AM »

The thing is, we see so little of Brian, really. I mean, we're mainly talking about interviews (and some music, but that's really a matter of taste). And there's no question that Brian's interviews over the last 15 years or so have generally declined in quality. But he also gives a lot more of them. It's hard for me to see those two things as unconnected. He's just less interested in that part of the biz, and I don't think it really says much about the man's inner being or creative soul.

Let's put it this way -- there are also interviews where, for whatever reasons, he decides to be engaged. And it's still the same guy there.

You forgot about Beautiful dreamer.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2012, 05:24:55 AM »

I do agree that That Lucky Old Sun is a near masterpiece. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Brian Wilson should be remembered for three albums, Pet Sounds, Smile, and That Lucky Old Sun.

I genuinelly view those three as a trilogy.
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 02:18:05 PM »

Just watched that interview, thanks for sharing the link. It's one of the best interviews I've seen/ heard of Brian in recent years. Definitely a lot of the same guy still in there from days of yore. I guess how well  he 'performs' in interviews depends on his mood, the interviewer, the kind of questions his energy levels etc, pretty much like the rest of us then  Smiley  Interesting to hear his thoughts about the ultimate mystery ... 
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 02:55:10 PM »

This 2010 interview with Peter Ames Carlin is the most fun latter-day Brian interview I've ever read:

http://www.peteramescarlin.com/node/194

Q: Are you a Stevie Wonder fan?
Have you heard ‘Superwoman’? When I heard that I thought, that guy's really got it on the ball! And ‘He's Misstra Know It All?’ Oh my God! When I heard that I thought to myself, how in the world can Stevie Wonder write that kind of music? In the early-to-mid 80s I bought that album with ‘Superwoman’ and I said - what am I listening to!? That Moog synthesizer, ‘I think I can deal with that, is what went  through my mind. . .’ then he goes into the synth thing and I thought, I’ll never hear anything that good again in my life.’ (made to love cover): I like Carl’s version, too. They’re both good. But Stevie is a fabluous singer, a really good singer.

Q: [...] and you should really check out the albums they made from Woody Guthrie's old lyrics...this one called "My Flying Saucer," it's so not what you expect from the "This Land is Your Land" guy...
Do you think there’s anything real to UFO’s? Or is that just something people say? In general, have they established that there are really UFO’s? They have pictures, don’t they? Is that stuff real, or do they know for sure? (John Lennon said he saw one over New York City in the '70s...)  No kidding!!!! He said he saw a UFO? (throws back his head and guffaws really loudly) Maybe that thing liked the Beatles! They wanted to get his autograph. Jesus, there are so many things out there people don’t understand, it’s a weird trip.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 05:03:27 PM »

This 2010 interview with Peter Ames Carlin is the most fun latter-day Brian interview I've ever read:

http://www.peteramescarlin.com/node/194

Q: Are you a Stevie Wonder fan?
Have you heard ‘Superwoman’? When I heard that I thought, that guy's really got it on the ball! And ‘He's Misstra Know It All?’ Oh my God! When I heard that I thought to myself, how in the world can Stevie Wonder write that kind of music? In the early-to-mid 80s I bought that album with ‘Superwoman’ and I said - what am I listening to!? That Moog synthesizer, ‘I think I can deal with that, is what went  through my mind. . .’ then he goes into the synth thing and I thought, I’ll never hear anything that good again in my life.’ (made to love cover): I like Carl’s version, too. They’re both good. But Stevie is a fabluous singer, a really good singer.

Q: [...] and you should really check out the albums they made from Woody Guthrie's old lyrics...this one called "My Flying Saucer," it's so not what you expect from the "This Land is Your Land" guy...
Do you think there’s anything real to UFO’s? Or is that just something people say? In general, have they established that there are really UFO’s? They have pictures, don’t they? Is that stuff real, or do they know for sure? (John Lennon said he saw one over New York City in the '70s...)  No kidding!!!! He said he saw a UFO? (throws back his head and guffaws really loudly) Maybe that thing liked the Beatles! They wanted to get his autograph. Jesus, there are so many things out there people don’t understand, it’s a weird trip.

Un-believable interview. He seems so... Normal? Crazy? Down to earth? Eccentric? I can't decide. The parts about Dennis sorta break my heart, though. I mean, sure he was passionate. I mean, unstable. But he was right. Right? I feel like Dennis is the only one who took the "long view," and it sounds like even Brian "didn't get it." Poor Dennis.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 05:35:32 PM »

Haha, the bit in that interview where Carlin says 'Brian, you seem to survive everything' and he replies 'No, that's not true. Some of these radio advertisements drive me crazy.'

He's like us!  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2012, 06:38:04 PM »

Un-believable interview. He seems so... Normal? Crazy? Down to earth? Eccentric? I can't decide. The parts about Dennis sorta break my heart, though. I mean, sure he was passionate. I mean, unstable. But he was right. Right? I feel like Dennis is the only one who took the "long view," and it sounds like even Brian "didn't get it." Poor Dennis.

I feel the same way.
MBE
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2012, 11:01:49 PM »

Weird day for Brian with Peter! He spoke glowingly about him to me.  Maybe he was talking about the later years as far as the meetings went. Wish I knew the issue Dennis was upset about.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2012, 11:25:24 PM »

Great interview indeed.  Grin OK, maybe I was wrong with my previous argument in this thread.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2012, 11:36:52 PM »

Weird day for Brian with Peter! He spoke glowingly about him to me.  Maybe he was talking about the later years as far as the meetings went. Wish I knew the issue Dennis was upset about.
Perhaps he was alluding to the fact that by 1980-83, Dennis had basically "surrendered" to the others in regard to the creative fight over material(much in the same way that Carl eventually did)? By 1981-82 Brian and Dennis were both "kindred spirits" in that they were both in a dark place. Maybe they found happiness in a destructive, generally f***ed up way? Did that make any sense at all?

Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2012, 11:47:24 PM »

Yes, Dennis obviously wasn't always an easy guy to get along with.
Sometimes the nicest guy, sometimes the biggest ...
Brian seems to have very mixed feelings about him.
I mean, this isn't the first recent interview where he expressed negative sentiments against Dennis.

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2012, 03:56:53 AM »

Maybe it has something to do with the company Brian keeps? You know, "Drugs are bad, they ruined SMiLE, they ruined my mental health. Drugs are bad, Dennis took drugs, Dennis gave me drugs, ergo Dennis = bad."

Also, Dennis was the rowdy middle child, while Brian is (was) the authoritative, responsible oldest child. I have two older brothers, and I see a similar pattern of family dynamics (Woo! That means I'm Carl!).

Any links to more Brian interviews where he opens up about Dennis, good or bad?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2012, 05:15:29 AM »

I think interviewers (well, at least ones who don't know Brian well, unlike Carlin or Leaf) sort of think it's best not to go there - Brian clearly misses his brothers a lot. Anyone would, and this is Brian Wilson we're talking about here - I think he genuinely has a soft skin when it comes to things like that. It's possibly easier to deflect it with comments like that.

There's a great one recently where Brian (possibly in full put-on mode) describes his own unique brand of musical synthesesia. That's hilarious.

It's been mentioned already, but the interviews Leaf conducted with him for Beautiful Dreamer are very good, considering the subjects broached.

Bad Brian interviews (and god knows there's a lot of them) can genuinely be ascribed to him being bored or uncomfortable, I think. As Wirestone said, even disregarding his lifestyle he's still 70 years old. He's not 'gone' upstairs, he's just 70.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 05:16:33 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2012, 08:11:31 AM »

Also, Dennis was the rowdy middle child, while Brian is (was) the authoritative, responsible oldest child. I have two older brothers, and I see a similar pattern of family dynamics (Woo! That means I'm Carl!).

I think the sibling/birth order thing might have a lot to do with it. Our perception of our siblings as adults is impacted by our perception of them as children. I hear myself complaining about my older sister, and I think, "Wow. No one else sees her this way." It's because of our relationship when we were kids--she was bossy and somewhat manipulative, as older siblings tend to be. I was bratty, and in some ways she still sees me that way. And we're in our 30s. And the fact that Brian and Dennis were SO different as kids-- the shy and well-behaved Brian probably used to roll his eyes at Dennis, not understanding why this kid kept getting into trouble, saying rude things, etc. As Dennis said, if it wasn't for the music, they really wouldn't have spent any time together.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 08:23:29 AM »

Brian's lowest ebb was when he was found lying in a gutter near a park in San Diego and Marilyn sent somebody to go search for him. What year was that.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 09:30:39 AM »

Sept '88. Greenford, London. STOMP Convention. When he saw the T-Shirt I was wearing.
I think I was the only one wearing one that day.. which is surprising.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 07:31:37 PM »

I think interviewers (well, at least ones who don't know Brian well, unlike Carlin or Leaf) sort of think it's best not to go there - Brian clearly misses his brothers a lot. Anyone would, and this is Brian Wilson we're talking about here - I think he genuinely has a soft skin when it comes to things like that. It's possibly easier to deflect it with comments like that.

Hypehat

What a wonderful and insightful comment on how Brian handles his thoughts when asked about Dennis. "Rude"  You're a great guy Brian.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:35:54 PM by Dave in KC » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 07:44:35 PM »

I'm not sure who you're trying to insult with that one, but I'm going to cover it with 'f*ck you and the horse you rode in on'.

Also, learn to quote.  Smokin
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:47:14 PM by hypehat » Logged

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2012, 09:32:52 PM »

At first I thought I read "I'm going to the park and take a NAP" which would be so Brian. Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx