gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:07:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Misheard Vocals  (Read 82763 times)
theCOD
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »

From Forever:

"I asked this guy just what we had..."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2012, 01:20:29 PM »

Screwed up my bampin' post horribly, it was something like this:

"We'll leave this ship and run to ostrich farms" on "Land Ahoy".

I seriously thought that was the lyric until a couple weeks ago.

Also, this morning I finally realized what "I've been out doing in my head" means. I heard it as "Outdoing in my head" and had no idea what the f*** it meant. Also, the moment I realized this was while listening to the Murry session when he asks Al what the opening line is and Al recites it.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2012, 02:45:47 PM »

Sorta on-topic of the thread:

Does anyone have *any* clue whatis being said in the backing vocals of "Slip On Through"?

Some variations on the words Baby, believe me now, oohs and stuff. It's fun to sing along your own gibberish imo

I hear "Baby, baby, baby, believe me I do love, do love, do love you darlin', I love you".

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »

Does anyone have *any* clue whatis being said in the backing vocals of "Slip On Through"?

Some variations on the words Baby, believe me now, oohs and stuff. It's fun to sing along your own gibberish imo

I hear "Baby, baby, baby, believe me I do love, do love, do love you darlin', I love you".

Even when Dennis rawked, he had to be a total softie about it, didn't he?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2012, 05:46:51 PM »

I think it's:

Baby baby baby believe that I do rah loo rah loo rah darlin' I Love you.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2012, 06:40:39 PM »

I think it's:

Baby baby baby believe that I do rah loo rah loo rah darlin' I Love you.

I think you have it right that it's "believe that" instead of "believe me" - but I clearly hear "do love" instead of "loo rah". Plus, the "love" lyrics tie in with the "I love you" at the end of each phrase.

RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2012, 08:49:54 PM »

Funnily enough there was a sketchwriter (Simon Hoggart) writing in the Guardian newspaper (ooh, get me!) not so long ago, in which he was talking about how much difficulty he and some friends had had figuring out what the hell the opening lines to Help Me Rhonda actually were...

And my brother thought they were singing 'Found a mattress in my head' in the middle section of Breakaway - which is actually a rather nice, surreal, Brian-like lyric. 'I found a mattress in my head/Found a mattress in my head/I found a mattress in my head' - sing along to it, works a treat!

Speaking of mattresses, I can not not hear "She climbs hills like a mattress because my Honda's built pretty light". I prefer the alternate lyric that goes "She climbs hills like a champ..." because of this.

This is EXACTLY what I hear everytime!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2012, 12:34:25 AM »

Yep, I hear this too.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2012, 03:16:16 AM »

Also, this morning I finally realized what "I've been out doing in my head" means. I heard it as "Outdoing in my head" and had no idea what the f*** it meant. Also, the moment I realized this was while listening to the Murry session when he asks Al what the opening line is and Al recites it.

1) don't "out doing" and "outdoing" sound exactly the same because the only difference is a space?
2) what do either of them mean? I've never understood this line.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2012, 03:20:29 AM »

That line makes no sense both ways! If it was 'outdoing in my head', it would somehow mean that since his girlfriend 'put him down', Al Jardine is out-performing or out-witting something, but only in his mind.

Or, if since his girlfriend put him down, he's been out doing.... what? In his head? You can't be 'out' and doing things solely in the life of the mind? Or can you? Maybe since his girlfriend left, the Al Jardine of the real world is but a cipher, a tiny shell containing a whirlwind of psychological grief and torment that concerns his entire effort, leaving him stunted and unresponsive to external reality.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 03:24:26 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2012, 04:19:48 AM »

1) don't "out doing" and "outdoing" sound exactly the same because the only difference is a space?

He's been out doin' in his head. He goes out and "does in" his head with, presumably, teh alcohol. He does himself in. Does his head in. Also clever with the whole "out doing in". Out and in! I like it. Or what hypehat said is totally possible, too.

Has it ever been discussed here how, despite being a fantastic song, the lyrics for this one are pretty absurd? I mean in terms of what the song is about. I like the lyrics, but they make me giggle with how... unrealistic they are? Something like that.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lookit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2012, 05:25:58 AM »

In my sig, from Friends. I know better but choose to believe those are the lyrics.

I talked your folks out of making you cut off your head.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2012, 07:40:02 AM »

He's been out doin' in his head. He goes out and "does in" his head with, presumably, teh alcohol. He does himself in. Does his head in. Also clever with the whole "out doing in". Out and in! I like it. Or what hypehat said is totally possible, too.

Has it ever been discussed here how, despite being a fantastic song, the lyrics for this one are pretty absurd? I mean in terms of what the song is about. I like the lyrics, but they make me giggle with how... unrealistic they are? Something like that.

This is basically what I always assumed. The phrase "do in" is slang for exhausting or destroying, e.g: "That marathon nearly did me in." So,  I read "out doing in my head" as "out drowning my sorrows/memories."  Oddly enough, he's basically asking the girl to be a rebound affair.  So, the funny thing to me is, Murry had trouble with the implications in "Fun, Fun, Fun," but wanted Al to sing the rebound affair song more sexy.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2012, 07:41:10 AM »

I always thought that was more of a British turn of phrase.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2012, 07:53:15 AM »

oh I guess that is a sensible interpretation. and to me this song isn't very unrealistic, it's just really simple. guy breaks up with girl. guy sees different girl and thinks maybe getting together with her would help him get over his ex. the phrase "help me, Rhonda" is never uttered to the woman, nor does she ever learn of the backstory. this is all just going on in the narrator's head.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2012, 09:16:43 AM »

You ever hear lyrics incorrectly, and even after you know the correct ones, still try to pretend that yours are the real ones because the ones in your head are so much better?

Example:

"But in a child's eyes/there were feelings/touching my violent schemes", which I think is a lot better than "...my violent skin".

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2012, 11:39:23 AM »

oh I guess that is a sensible interpretation. and to me this song isn't very unrealistic, it's just really simple. guy breaks up with girl. guy sees different girl and thinks maybe getting together with her would help him get over his ex. the phrase "help me, Rhonda" is never uttered to the woman, nor does she ever learn of the backstory. this is all just going on in the narrator's head.

I always figured he was saying "Help me, Rhonda" directly to the girl. Feeding her a line to get some pity p*ssy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2012, 11:49:59 AM »

That's one of the worst "lines" I've ever heard, then. Kind of reminds me of when Jessica Simpson (most famous for the "Chicken Of The Sea" incident on her dreadful reality show and not much else, although she claims to be a singer) divorced that d00d from 98 degrees and he came out with that song about being devastated from the whole ordeal. The final line of the chorus was something like "You can have what's left of me."

Like, really? Lots of people take up charity cases in relationships, I'm guilty of it and probably guilty of people being guilty of it toward me, that's all fine, but "You can have what's left of me"? What the f*** kinda sh*t is that? "I'm a totally compromised shell of a person because the love of my life destroyed me. God, I love her and miss her so much. I mean, I guess you're cool, too. You can have what's left of me." What a horrible thing to say to someone!

Obviously "Rhonda" is a little nicer about it than that and worlds more clever, lyrically (and in every other aspect, probably - I haven't heard the other song since it came out), but it's still just kind of amusing in that way.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:05:14 PM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2012, 12:07:09 PM »

"Oh God I'm a fucking mess. Help me. HELP ME. If you do, you can have what's left of me!"

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2012, 12:19:46 PM »

My misheard BB lyric is from "Little Honda." I always heard, "more fun than a barrel of monkeys, that two wheel bike" as "more fun than a barrel of monkeys in a two way fight." Which, you know, might actually be fun...
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2012, 12:36:26 PM »

Like, really? Lots of people take up charity cases in relationships

Not that this is probably worth talking about any further, but, it's not about relationships. Guys play that angle on girls for one night stands all the time. Find some girl at a party with low self-esteem, tell her about how you just got dumped, it's your first time out since because you're having such a hard time getting over it. "Oh, if only I could find a nice girl. Hey, you seem nice, wanna go some place a little quieter?"
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2012, 01:06:15 PM »

"I talked your folks out of making you cut off your head..."
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2012, 01:55:28 PM »

You ever hear lyrics incorrectly, and even after you know the correct ones, still try to pretend that yours are the real ones because the ones in your head are so much better?

Example:

"But in a child's eyes/there were feelings/touching my violent schemes", which I think is a lot better than "...my violent skin".

I thought it was "violet skin"...

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2012, 03:33:59 PM »

It is violet skin.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2012, 04:31:41 PM »

Example:

I thought it was "violet skin"...

Right. I'm saying I heard it as "scheme", and I like that better than "skin".

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx