gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:34:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Country Music  (Read 163078 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: December 08, 2017, 05:43:08 AM »

How the Louisiana Hayride Captured the Evolution of Country and Rock

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/news/louisiana-hayride-inside-an-eclectic-new-box-set-w513460

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: December 21, 2017, 04:14:52 AM »

Willie Nelson’s sad ‘Pretty Paper’ is a real story. And it’s set in downtown Fort Worth

http://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/bud-kennedy/article190507394.html

Frankie Brierton of Santo (1899-1973), a street vendor disabled by spinal meningitis, matches the description of the man described in Willie Nelson’s “Pretty Paper.” Courtesy photo

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: February 20, 2018, 11:21:13 AM »

A new album by Willie Nelson will be released in April!

Willie Nelson, the 'Last Man Standing,' is back with a new song out now

https://www.guidelive.com/music/2018/02/16/willie-nelson-last-man-standingis-back-new-music-spring

- Jack Rieley
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 22, 2018, 02:14:02 PM »

https://www.guidelive.com/music/2018/02/16/willie-nelson-last-man-standingis-back-new-music-spring

Did not know Willy was coming out with a new album! Great to see him keeping the good ol country music alive!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: February 24, 2018, 12:26:07 PM »

Did not know Willy was coming out with a new album! Great to see him keeping the good ol country music alive!

Yeah, I also only saw it by coincidence on facebook. The guy is amazing. He just doesn't stop to record new albums.

Just as much by coincidence (if not even more so) I just heard three songs by a country singer by named Ashley Monroe. Do you know her? It was really nice to hear her. Her sound is country, unfortunately the production is still very Nashville-slick, but the songs seem honest without trying to hard to sound honest, if you understand what I mean. I guess I'll listen to more of her to see if the promise holds up.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: March 23, 2018, 01:58:19 PM »

Had to share this one :D

Key & Peele - Country Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRdkrDk0BQ0

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: April 24, 2018, 05:14:03 AM »

First Listen: Willie Nelson, 'Last Man Standing'

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/23/602233513/first-listen-willie-nelson-last-man-standing

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: May 08, 2018, 08:05:47 AM »

Hank Williams’ Oldest Granddaughter Hilary To Release Debut Album

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/hank-williams-oldest-granddaughter-hilary-release-debut-album/

I just listened to a sample of the debut single "Crazy" and it sounds really nice.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 08:14:01 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: May 15, 2018, 02:25:38 PM »

it's pretty cool to see how Brian Wilson and Tammy Wynette could
even be in the same room together, and yet record a song together.
it just shows how much Brian's tunes have an effect on all cultures
of music, even 'country'.  it's such a heartbreaking recording where
two different worlds collide, but both have experienced the same
torture.  now only if 'stars and stripes' followed more in this path
it would probably have more love from the fans.

I think the problem was the choice of material and the choice of country artists. Regarding the latter, they obviously did go with what was current after they had Willie so they could rush out the album (maybe not littary but you know what I mean). If only they got to the real big country stars and had put a little thought into the song choices; in fact there were some names floating around and iirc Al recorded the accoustic "California saga" as a demo for Merle Haggard (it really does sound like Hag's style). I posted this more than once but here's a setlist I came up with:

California saga - Merle Haggard
Let the wind blow - Johnny Cash
God only knows - George Jones
Got to know the woman - Jerry Lee Lewis
Forever - Kris Kristofferson
Honkin' down the highway (like the version on "Caroline Now!) - Bobby Bare
The Trader - Waylon Jennings

Add to that Glenn Campbell (why was he not on vol. 1? I think a participation from him should've been a given). Maybe someone could take "Hold on dear brother" or "We got love".

While looking through some old postings I saw that someone mentioned Ronnie Milsap was considered for "Surfer girl" and Steve Earle for "Shut down", while Hank jr.'s and The Oak Ridge Boys' names were also floating around.
But you see it would've taken work, making sure that you actually get a country sound and arrangements. That didn't happen on Vol 1. And songs like "Shut down" probably wouldn't have worked very well. But maybe Jerry Reed could have worked up something.
I can hear most of the performances of my list in my head. You just need someone who actually knows a little about country music (I'm not tooting my own horn) and the Beach Boys to get a interesting list. Conncections were there: Around this time Don Was was producing both the Highwaymen's last (and best) album and Waylon Jennings' "Waymore's blues Part II" and also he was working with Jerry Lee Lewis on the Killer's "Young blood" album.

Yes Yes! 100 percent agree!  Most of the artists used were pretty mediocre at best.  
I got to like some of Toby's stuff years later, but this is terrible seeing him demolish 'be true to your school'.
You mention 'waymore's blues part II', that's one of my favourite Waylon albums, and a return to RCA.
You are right, imagine if they could have had Glen, Johnny (I could see him doin 'til I die'), probably too morbid
for what they were going for, Jerry Lee, Merle, George Jones was always great with a humourous song, he would
have been a better choice for 'long tall texan' or a cat like Buck Owens.
Then you have some other greats like Bobby Bare, Alan Jackson, Marty Stuart, George Strait and i'll go as far
to say even Garth Brooks, who has a great way of interpreting material...
yeah wow, Hank Jr! that could have been phenomenal or a land mine haha
I even thought about Charlie Rich, but he had just passed on, such a shame losing that guy.

The idea was certainly there, but it just didn't quite hit the mark... I still give it a blast now and then  Undecided

I got to correct myself. It wasn't Don Was working on the Killer's Young Blood album but Andy Paley. But that takes nothing away from the point I was making. But sorry for the mis-info.

I kinda like Doug Supernaw on "Long tall texan". But yeah, if I'd have to choose between him and Buck Owens, I'd go with the latter. George Jones in my head is reserved for God Only Knows. Man, what he could've done with that song.....  Love

Having the great "Hold on, dear brother" stuck in my head the last couple of days, I just realized that that would've been a fitting one for Waylon. Compare to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrWcIF1tWdw

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: June 15, 2018, 02:26:04 PM »

Willie Nelson On World Cafe

https://www.npr.org/sections/world-cafe/2018/06/12/618912037/willie-nelson-on-world-cafe

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: June 19, 2018, 05:19:55 AM »

Willie Nelson Speaks Out on Immigrant Family Separations at Border

https://www.rollingstone.com/country/news/willie-nelson-immigrant-family-separation-border-w521551

Willie Nelson to Donald Trump: ‘Let’s go down to a border detention center together’

http://music.blog.mystatesman.com/2018/06/18/willie-nelson-to-donald-trump-lets-go-down-to-a-border-detention-center-together/

Willie Nelson - Living in the Promiseland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfiqENNv47Q

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: August 05, 2018, 05:30:06 AM »

Found this on youtube.

Mother Maybelle's Carter Scratch (Documentary)
Mother Maybelle's Carter Scratch - 1990 - A documentary about her family, her friends, her followers and her style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ZjTE5kYg4

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: August 28, 2018, 09:14:25 AM »

Willie Nelson sits down with Harvey Levin to discuss his incredible life including his music, family and the time he got high at the White House.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5827126504001/?#sp=show-clips/full-episodes

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 28, 2018, 11:53:11 AM »

I don’t know why but I’ve never been a huge fan of willie, though I respect what he does. I like stardust and the red headed stranger but don’t listen to either that much. The willie songs I listen to the most are luckenbak Texas and patsy clines version of crazy. I like his duet with Dylan on pancho and lefty a lot (more then the original with Merle). Obviously he’s a legend I just find a lot of his albums a little samey-it’s his voice I guess-it isn’t that expressive to me (my loss I’m sure)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: September 07, 2018, 05:14:54 AM »

You probably heard about Burt Reynolds' death. He also was a country recording artist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvUj__QA1Bs

I don’t know why but I’ve never been a huge fan of willie, though I respect what he does. I like stardust and the red headed stranger but don’t listen to either that much. The willie songs I listen to the most are luckenbak Texas and patsy clines version of crazy. I like his duet with Dylan on pancho and lefty a lot (more then the original with Merle). Obviously he’s a legend I just find a lot of his albums a little samey-it’s his voice I guess-it isn’t that expressive to me (my loss I’m sure)

Well, everyone has his own taste and if you don't like his voice than that's fine. During the 80s there's quite some stuff by Willie that I find terrible. His version of "Bridge over troubled water" for example is something I can't listen to. But thankfully those pop productions of the 80s are long gone and he has since found back to his own style. To me he is one of the greatest stylists in american music.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 05:43:58 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: September 19, 2018, 11:29:58 AM »

From Facebook:

Willie plays a track from ‘My Way’ tonight on ‘The Late Show with Stephen Colbert’! Tune in 11:35/10:35c on CBS:

https://willienelson.lnk.to/MyWay

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 05:21:06 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: September 20, 2018, 05:21:52 AM »

From Facebook:

Willie plays a track from ‘My Way’ tonight on ‘The Late Show with Stephen Colbert’! Tune in 11:35/10:35c on CBS:

https://willienelson.lnk.to/MyWay

Here's the performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djk_Hj5vjvA

and an interview by Stephen Colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOgCn2yVKw

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 20, 2018, 05:22:34 AM »

I like classic country -like 1960s George Jones and patsy cline. I like early outlaw country but rarely listen to anything recorded after 1985
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: September 23, 2018, 08:50:54 AM »

I like classic country -like 1960s George Jones and patsy cline. I like early outlaw country but rarely listen to anything recorded after 1985

I hear you! It's similar to me. I barely know stuff that's later than the 70s/after the Outlaw movement anymore than superficially. I love the old artists so much

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: September 30, 2018, 09:54:37 AM »

Willie Nelson will support Beto O’Rourke campaign for Senate at rally

http://www.msnbc.com/am-joy/watch/willie-nelson-will-support-beto-o-rourke-campaign-for-senate-at-rally-1327366723687?v=railb&

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: October 11, 2018, 09:57:12 AM »

Willie has a new single out:

Willie’s new single VOTE ‘EM OUT. Available now
https://willienelson.lnk.to/vote

“The biggest gun we’ve got
Is called the ballot box
So if you don't like who's in there
Vote 'em out...."

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: October 19, 2018, 04:14:31 AM »

Posted on Facebook:

𝐀𝐧 𝐀𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐥𝐞 𝐅𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞

The waiting finally has come to an end!!

We are proud to announce that the 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐄𝐓𝐄 recordings of 𝐋𝐞𝐟𝐭𝐲 𝐅𝐫𝐢𝐳𝐳𝐞𝐥𝐥 are finally out and available for your listening pleasure!

Here you go!

A package full of superlatives!

20-CD boxed set (LP-size) with 264-page hardcover book. 361 tracks. Total playing time: 867:41 mns.

𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐞 𝐍𝐞𝐥𝐬𝐨𝐧 said about Lefty:
"I Love Lefty Still. Maybe only people my age know his work well, BUT the younger generation should know his music".

.... and we say 'Amen' to that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V08KUYJ1Oqo&fbclid=IwAR37N0tPuF8VqHci_WGocXZ8UZjJDb4lSYV2Gju1Jf23CyO2wmTmciVvVkk

https://www.bear-family.com/frizzell-lefty-an-article-from-life-the-complete-recordings-20-cd-deluxe-box-set-und-book.html?fbclid=IwAR1uOjVfKVprtFJqAsLhVjFGRdE2zIXh-Skqoi6yFwLlOU7NklKRCj6rzOU

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: October 24, 2018, 12:16:31 PM »

Dolly Parton reveals track list and album cover for "Dumplin'" original motion picture soundtrack

https://dollyparton.com/life-and-career/dolly-parton-reveals-track-list-and-album-cover-for-dumplin-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/15530?fbclid=IwAR13T4oeXy-OHuAjBlKf7yFV0iR4AWhyLiXxXLebUvyfhHnp4X-7ixxl_QQ

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: November 03, 2018, 06:37:02 AM »

Willie on Jimmy Kimmel:

Willie Nelson - "Fly Me To The Moon" and "Vote 'Em Out"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KelWP8yboY&index=11&list=PLs4hTtftqnlB7NOVE-AR5THrDn7YO3g68&fbclid=IwAR2lUvXwXPhj1wfB2io5ywbQuRmmNkbWMdRhEou3HeXQlZXhSeKIJyN1fJA

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: November 06, 2018, 03:17:49 AM »

Here's a review of the Lefty Frizzell box (see above)

Lefty Frizzell: An Article From Life – The Complete Recordings (Bear Family)

Lefty Frizzell
An Article From Life: The Complete Recordings
(Bear Family)

It’s been more than four decades since country/honky tony legend Lefty Frizzell, but his music inspired a slew of musicians that are still around today. The diverse group includes everyone from Willie Nelson to John Fogerty. His music was also a key ingredient that helped launch the careers of the Everly Brothers and Roy Orbison (who was so inspired by the singer that he took the name Lefty Wilbury for tag in band the Traveling Wilburys). So, while a massive 20-disc retrospective box set may seem excessive to some, it’s seems a pretty appropriate tribute to the influence and popularity of Lefty, born William Orville Frizzell.

‘An Article From Life – the Complete Recordings’ is an impressive box put out by Bear Family Records (no stranger to Frizzell re-releases, having released two other compilation sets of his over the years), is a complete collection of all of the country great’s material, amassed over 25 years of recoding – dating back to 1950. And yes, the oft-covered “If You’ve Got the Money (I’ve Got the Time),” one of the best country songs ever penned is there and just the tip of the iceberg. It fits snuggly aside some of his other number one’s like “Always Late (With Your Kisses),” “Saginaw, Michigan” and “I Love You a Thousand Ways” as well as many, many more deeper cuts.

Spread over 361 tracks, this set covers his entire career, up to his death from a massive stroke brought on by alcoholism at the age of 47 in 1975.

Along with the 20 CDs, this beautifully curated box set also includes an audio book spread across eight CDs and a gorgeous LP-sized hardcover book of Frizzell’s life and career. An absolutely brilliant offering for anyone looking for the true heart and genesis of Outlaw country music.
~ John B. Moore

http://innocentwords.com/lefty-frizzell-an-article-from-life-the-complete-recordings-bear-family/?fbclid=IwAR3BIt2M0Tb-Q___4FxntZ1zpAOU6yX1JjWYUpy5Ch6-ruQwaqldNltRVQo
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 03:18:45 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx