gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 05:53:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Country Music  (Read 163059 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 23, 2017, 10:53:14 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/Volumes-One-Two-OLD-DOGS/dp/B06XSJNZS4/ref=sr_1_8?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1495605053&sr=1-8

what a great idea to re-release these on one album! 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: May 26, 2017, 11:30:03 AM »

Do you know this?

Old Dogs - 1 of 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN1YTcLQdBM

2/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdvcRLQwgts

3/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOgjpX9Cjoo

4/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GfGBDs6rWs

5/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJNPxOkUG5Y
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 11:30:30 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 27, 2017, 03:03:46 PM »

listening to kane brown now, pretty good, nice 'new' country

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 27, 2017, 09:17:05 PM »

ahhh yeah! isn't that all wonderful? these guys are so fun together.
I miss Waylon.
I remember years ago trying to get the VHS of the original performance of
the first 'old dogs' album, but could never trace a copy down, pre internet then.
it was on youtube in a very bad copy, but seems to have been removed, but
I remember it was all 4 of them, sitting on stools I think, singing to an audience.
it was kind of 'staged' as if they were doing a tv show from memory, but I never
was able to get a copy of the video.
the Old Dogs were great!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: June 15, 2017, 02:35:13 PM »

If you are a petitition guy:

Induct Jerry Lee Lewis into the Country Music Hall of Fame

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/induct-jerry-lee-lewis-into-the-country-music-hall-of-fame.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 15, 2017, 07:06:21 PM »

GEEEZ!!! How can Jerry NOT already be in the CMHF??
that's a joke. Huh
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: June 21, 2017, 12:41:31 PM »

Flashback: See Tammy Wynette, Brian Wilson Harmonize on 'In My Room'

Posthumously released performance features fragile country icon with Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys on the band's 1963 classic

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/videos/brian-wilson-in-my-room-see-him-sing-with-tammy-wynette-w488838

It's always kinda chilling to me what a great album/project this could've been... and then seeing or hearing the result  Undecided
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:46:39 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 21, 2017, 07:10:26 PM »

it's pretty cool to see how Brian Wilson and Tammy Wynette could
even be in the same room together, and yet record a song together.
it just shows how much Brian's tunes have an effect on all cultures
of music, even 'country'.  it's such a heartbreaking recording where
two different worlds collide, but both have experienced the same
torture.  now only if 'stars and stripes' followed more in this path
it would probably have more love from the fans.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: June 22, 2017, 08:03:55 AM »

of music, even 'country'.  it's such a heartbreaking recording where
torture.  now only if 'stars and stripes' followed more in this path

I think the problem was the choice of material and the choice of country artists. Regarding the latter, they obviously did go with what was current after they had Willie so they could rush out the album (maybe not littary but you know what I mean). If only they got to the real big country stars and had put a little thought into the song choices; in fact there were some names floating around and iirc Al recorded the accoustic "California saga" as a demo for Merle Haggard (it really does sound like Hag's style). I posted this more than once but here's a setlist I came up with:

California saga - Merle Haggard
Let the wind blow - Johnny Cash
God only knows - George Jones
Got to know the woman - Jerry Lee Lewis
Forever - Kris Kristofferson
Honkin' down the highway (like the version on "Caroline Now!) - Bobby Bare
The Trader - Waylon Jennings

Add to that Glenn Campbell (why was he not on vol. 1? I think a participation from him should've been a given). Maybe someone could take "Hold on dear brother" or "We got love".

While looking through some old postings I saw that someone mentioned Ronnie Milsap was considered for "Surfer girl" and Steve Earle for "Shut down", while Hank jr.'s and The Oak Ridge Boys' names were also floating around.
But you see it would've taken work, making sure that you actually get a country sound and arrangements. That didn't happen on Vol 1. And songs like "Shut down" probably wouldn't have worked very well. But maybe Jerry Reed could have worked up something.
I can hear most of the performances of my list in my head. You just need someone who actually knows a little about country music (I'm not tooting my own horn) and the Beach Boys to get a interesting list. Conncections were there: Around this time Don Was was producing both the Highwaymen's last (and best) album and Waylon Jennings' "Waymore's blues Part II" and also he was working with Jerry Lee Lewis on the Killer's "Young blood" album.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 08:04:52 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 25, 2017, 11:46:57 PM »

I think the problem was the choice of material and the choice of country artists. Regarding the latter, they obviously did go with what was current after they had Willie so they could rush out the album (maybe not littary but you know what I mean). If only they got to the real big country stars and had put a little thought into the song choices; in fact there were some names floating around and iirc Al recorded the accoustic "California saga" as a demo for Merle Haggard (it really does sound like Hag's style). I posted this more than once but here's a setlist I came up with:

Add to that Glenn Campbell (why was he not on vol. 1? I think a participation from him should've been a given). Maybe someone could take "Hold on dear brother" or "We got love".

While looking through some old postings I saw that someone mentioned Ronnie Milsap was considered for "Surfer girl" and Steve Earle for "Shut down", while Hank jr.'s and The Oak Ridge Boys' names were also floating around.
But you see it would've taken work, making sure that you actually get a country sound and arrangements. That didn't happen on Vol 1. And songs like "Shut down" probably wouldn't have worked very well. But maybe Jerry Reed could have worked up something.
I can hear most of the performances of my list in my head. You just need someone who actually knows a little about country music (I'm not tooting my own horn) and the Beach Boys to get a interesting list. Conncections were there: Around this time Don Was was producing both the Highwaymen's last (and best) album and Waylon Jennings' "Waymore's blues Part II" and also he was working with Jerry Lee Lewis on the Killer's "Young blood" album.

Yes Yes! 100 percent agree!  Most of the artists used were pretty mediocre at best. 
I got to like some of Toby's stuff years later, but this is terrible seeing him demolish 'be true to your school'.
You mention 'waymore's blues part II', that's one of my favourite Waylon albums, and a return to RCA.
You are right, imagine if they could have had Glen, Johnny (I could see him doin 'til I die'), probably too morbid
for what they were going for, Jerry Lee, Merle, George Jones was always great with a humourous song, he would
have been a better choice for 'long tall texan' or a cat like Buck Owens.
Then you have some other greats like Bobby Bare, Alan Jackson, Marty Stuart, George Strait and i'll go as far
to say even Garth Brooks, who has a great way of interpreting material...
yeah wow, Hank Jr! that could have been phenomenal or a land mine haha
I even thought about Charlie Rich, but he had just passed on, such a shame losing that guy.

The idea was certainly there, but it just didn't quite hit the mark... I still give it a blast now and then  Undecided

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: June 26, 2017, 01:17:50 PM »

Yes Yes! 100 percent agree!  Most of the artists used were pretty mediocre at best.  
I got to like some of Toby's stuff years later, but this is terrible seeing him demolish 'be true to your school'.
You mention 'waymore's blues part II', that's one of my favourite Waylon albums, and a return to RCA.
You are right, imagine if they could have had Glen, Johnny (I could see him doin 'til I die'), probably too morbid
for what they were going for, Jerry Lee, Merle, George Jones was always great with a humourous song, he would
have been a better choice for 'long tall texan' or a cat like Buck Owens.
Then you have some other greats like Bobby Bare, Alan Jackson, Marty Stuart, George Strait and i'll go as far
to say even Garth Brooks, who has a great way of interpreting material...
yeah wow, Hank Jr! that could have been phenomenal or a land mine haha
I even thought about Charlie Rich, but he had just passed on, such a shame losing that guy.

The idea was certainly there, but it just didn't quite hit the mark... I still give it a blast now and then  Undecided

I got to correct myself. It wasn't Don Was working on the Killer's Young Blood album but Andy Paley. But that takes nothing away from the point I was making. But sorry for the mis-info.

I kinda like Doug Supernaw on "Long tall texan". But yeah, if I'd have to choose between him and Buck Owens, I'd go with the latter. George Jones in my head is reserved for God Only Knows. Man, what he could've done with that song.....  Love

- Jack Rieley
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 26, 2017, 07:05:05 PM »

ahhh Andy Paley, I didn't know that.  I've got Jerry's 'Youngblood' album.
havn't heard it in years! I remember it being hard to track down, but finally
found a copy.  Guess it wasn't a huge seller  Undecided
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: July 14, 2017, 09:42:09 AM »

Loretta Lynn: ‘Willie Ain’t Dead Yet and Neither Am I’
Country legend postpones album until next year, cancels tour dates as she recovers from May stroke

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/news/loretta-lynn-postpones-release-of-new-album-w491954

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: September 01, 2017, 12:45:20 PM »

Wow!!

Various: At The Louisiana Hayride Tonight (20-CD)

VARIOUS ARTISTS
At The Louisiana Hayride Tonight

20-CD boxed set (LP-size) with 224-page hardcover book (LP-size), 559 tracks. Total playing time 1,506:37 mns.

AT THE LOUISIANA HAYRIDE TONIGHT  - 
HANK WILLIAMS, ELVIS PRESLEY, JOHNNY CASH, JIM REEVES, JOHNNY HORTON, GEORGE JONES, WEBB PIERCE, JUNE CARTER, FRANKIE MILLER, FARON YOUNG, and many more.

These 20 CDs comprise over 25 hours of music captured on-stage in the 1940s, ‘50s, and ‘60s at KWKH’s legendary Louisiana Hayride radio show. Staged live in Shreveport, the Hayride featured national country music stars, soon-to-be legends, regional break-outs, and talented newcomers.
Most of this music has not been heard since the day it was broadcast.

FABULOUSLY RESTORED SOUND!

•   529 ‘live’ tracks including previously unknown recordings by Hank Williams.

•   11 ‘as live’ studio-recorded transcriptions, including Kitty Wells, Johnnie and Jack, Hank Williams, and Curley Williams.

•   19 studio-recorded commercial discs, including hits by Slim Whitman, the Browns, Mitchell Torok, Jim Reeves, Mac Wiseman, and Carolyn Bradshaw.

•   167 artists in total, including Hank Williams, Elvis Presley, Johnny Horton, Webb Pierce, Faron Young, Jim Reeves, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Rose Maddox, Frankie Miller, Cousin Emmy, June Carter, Roy Acuff, the Bailes Brothers, the Oklahoma Wranglers, Norma Jean, the Browns, the Carlisles, the Louvin Brothers, Jimmy Newman, Ray Price, Roger Miller, Ferlin Husky, Warren Smith, Wynn Stewart, Grandpa Jones, Rusty and Doug Kershaw, Slim Whitman, and the Wilburn Brothers.

•   Hayride regulars including James O’Gwynn, Curley Williams, Red Sovine, Betty Amos, Harmie Smith, Buddy Attaway, Margie Singleton, Tony Douglas, Jack Ford, Werly Fairburn, Jeanette Hicks, Goldie Hill, Tibby Edwards, Hoot and Curley, Martha Lynn, Claude King, David Houston, Jerry Jericho, Bob Luman, Jimmy and Johnny, Merle Kilgore, Jimmy Martin, Johnny Mathis, Jimmy Lee, Charlie Walker, Billy Walker, and Dee Mullin.

•   All backed by the ultra-talented Hayride staff bands, including Felton Pruett, Jimmy Day, Floyd Cramer, Sonny Trammell, James Burton, D. J. Fontana, Shot Jackson, Sonny Harville, Dobber Johnson, Buffalo Yount, Don Davis, and Tillman Franks.

Time was when the Louisiana Hayride show at the Municipal Auditorium in Shreveport, Louisiana was the place for country music fans to be on a Saturday night. Just sixty cents for adults (thirty for kids) bought the finest night’s entertainment anytime, anywhere.

This set is a front-row seat as Hank Williams takes to the stage, first as a relative newcomer and later as a troubled superstar. Elvis Presley brings rockabilly to the airwaves before anyone knew what he or his music was about. A parade of home-grown and out-of-town country hitmakers tussle with one another for encores, and encourage unknown newcomers who would wow the audience with their songs and performances most nights.
This is the first time the true magic of the iconic Louisiana Hayride has been revealed through extended excerpts from the three-hour Saturday night shows held every week from 1948 to 1960 and occasionally thereafter.

These long-buried musical performances are brought to life in chronological order interspersed with some of the announcements, intros, ads, comedy routines and mistakes that went to make up a live show in those days. Not least, we can hear Elvis Presley’s epoch-changing music as it was originally heard--as part of a country variety show.

Eighteen CDs chronicle the weekly Hayride. Two bonus CDs sample some of the post-1960 shows together with commercial recordings made in the KWKH radio studios, promotional discs and transcribed shows from KWKH’s early days.

More Than 24 Hours Of Original Live Recordings

https://www.bear-family.com/various-artists-at-the-louisiana-hayride-tonight-20-cd.html

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: September 06, 2017, 11:17:38 AM »

Willie's son Lukas and his band appeared on Colbert last night:

Lukas Nelson & Promise Of The Real Perform 'Find Yourself'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL2-BDBB4hk

Not really "country" but I thought it might be interesting for some

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: September 09, 2017, 01:10:50 AM »

Country Star Don Williams Dies At 78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYAwEVcm5ms

Don Williams - Tulsa Time 1982

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6MbPWzIFUk

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 09, 2017, 01:47:04 AM »

Country Star Don Williams Dies At 78

I'd never heard of him before today, to my eternal shame (just not a country fan, I guess). Dutch radio considered him important enough to mention his death on the hourly bulletin this morning. Rest in peace, sir.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 09, 2017, 02:40:21 AM »

Two country singers lost today, Don Williams and also Troy Gentry, who died in a tragic helicopter accident.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXg8E0kzF1c
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: September 20, 2017, 12:29:26 PM »

Willie Nelson To Release Second ‘Willie’s Stash’ Archival Album

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/willie-nelson-second-willies-stash/?utm_source=ka&utm_medium=fa&utm_campaign=FB:Hank%20Williams%20-%20Country%20Legend-Editorial

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: October 12, 2017, 08:44:11 AM »

Wow!!

Various: At The Louisiana Hayride Tonight (20-CD)

VARIOUS ARTISTS
At The Louisiana Hayride Tonight

20-CD boxed set (LP-size) with 224-page hardcover book (LP-size), 559 tracks. Total playing time 1,506:37 mns.

AT THE LOUISIANA HAYRIDE TONIGHT  - 
HANK WILLIAMS, ELVIS PRESLEY, JOHNNY CASH, JIM REEVES, JOHNNY HORTON, GEORGE JONES, WEBB PIERCE, JUNE CARTER, FRANKIE MILLER, FARON YOUNG, and many more.

These 20 CDs comprise over 25 hours of music captured on-stage in the 1940s, ‘50s, and ‘60s at KWKH’s legendary Louisiana Hayride radio show. Staged live in Shreveport, the Hayride featured national country music stars, soon-to-be legends, regional break-outs, and talented newcomers.
Most of this music has not been heard since the day it was broadcast.

FABULOUSLY RESTORED SOUND!

•   529 ‘live’ tracks including previously unknown recordings by Hank Williams.

•   11 ‘as live’ studio-recorded transcriptions, including Kitty Wells, Johnnie and Jack, Hank Williams, and Curley Williams.

•   19 studio-recorded commercial discs, including hits by Slim Whitman, the Browns, Mitchell Torok, Jim Reeves, Mac Wiseman, and Carolyn Bradshaw.

•   167 artists in total, including Hank Williams, Elvis Presley, Johnny Horton, Webb Pierce, Faron Young, Jim Reeves, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Rose Maddox, Frankie Miller, Cousin Emmy, June Carter, Roy Acuff, the Bailes Brothers, the Oklahoma Wranglers, Norma Jean, the Browns, the Carlisles, the Louvin Brothers, Jimmy Newman, Ray Price, Roger Miller, Ferlin Husky, Warren Smith, Wynn Stewart, Grandpa Jones, Rusty and Doug Kershaw, Slim Whitman, and the Wilburn Brothers.

•   Hayride regulars including James O’Gwynn, Curley Williams, Red Sovine, Betty Amos, Harmie Smith, Buddy Attaway, Margie Singleton, Tony Douglas, Jack Ford, Werly Fairburn, Jeanette Hicks, Goldie Hill, Tibby Edwards, Hoot and Curley, Martha Lynn, Claude King, David Houston, Jerry Jericho, Bob Luman, Jimmy and Johnny, Merle Kilgore, Jimmy Martin, Johnny Mathis, Jimmy Lee, Charlie Walker, Billy Walker, and Dee Mullin.

•   All backed by the ultra-talented Hayride staff bands, including Felton Pruett, Jimmy Day, Floyd Cramer, Sonny Trammell, James Burton, D. J. Fontana, Shot Jackson, Sonny Harville, Dobber Johnson, Buffalo Yount, Don Davis, and Tillman Franks.

Time was when the Louisiana Hayride show at the Municipal Auditorium in Shreveport, Louisiana was the place for country music fans to be on a Saturday night. Just sixty cents for adults (thirty for kids) bought the finest night’s entertainment anytime, anywhere.

This set is a front-row seat as Hank Williams takes to the stage, first as a relative newcomer and later as a troubled superstar. Elvis Presley brings rockabilly to the airwaves before anyone knew what he or his music was about. A parade of home-grown and out-of-town country hitmakers tussle with one another for encores, and encourage unknown newcomers who would wow the audience with their songs and performances most nights.
This is the first time the true magic of the iconic Louisiana Hayride has been revealed through extended excerpts from the three-hour Saturday night shows held every week from 1948 to 1960 and occasionally thereafter.

These long-buried musical performances are brought to life in chronological order interspersed with some of the announcements, intros, ads, comedy routines and mistakes that went to make up a live show in those days. Not least, we can hear Elvis Presley’s epoch-changing music as it was originally heard--as part of a country variety show.

Eighteen CDs chronicle the weekly Hayride. Two bonus CDs sample some of the post-1960 shows together with commercial recordings made in the KWKH radio studios, promotional discs and transcribed shows from KWKH’s early days.

More Than 24 Hours Of Original Live Recordings

https://www.bear-family.com/various-artists-at-the-louisiana-hayride-tonight-20-cd.html

Previously unreleased:

Hear Hank Williams' Rare Live 'Jambalaya' From Massive New Box Set

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/premieres/hank-williams-jambalaya-hear-rare-live-version-w508444

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: October 14, 2017, 07:23:34 AM »

I never saw this stuff before. It's kind of an animated biography of some legendary artists, Jerry Lee Lewis, George Jones & Tammy Wynette, Johnny Paycheck and a look at their on-the-road lives:

Mike Judge Presents Tales from the Tour Bus

Johnny Paycheck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS9HXEuG9-U

Jerry Lee Lewis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAmw5ojnpvU

George Jones & Tammy Wynette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVa9uoGkT9g

And here's a trailer for the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPTT6Kp3Ob8
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:23:25 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
KDS
« Reply #371 on: October 17, 2017, 06:05:27 AM »

I never saw this stuff before. It's kind of an animated biography of some legendary artists, Jerry Lee Lewis, George Jones & Tammy Wynette, Johnny Paycheck and a look at their on-the-road lives:

I've yet to check out the show, but given this, and the amount of country music guest stars that used to appear on King of the Hill, I'm thinking Mike Judge is a pretty big country music fan.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: October 19, 2017, 02:26:07 AM »

I've yet to check out the show, but given this, and the amount of country music guest stars that used to appear on King of the Hill, I'm thinking Mike Judge is a pretty big country music fan.

It's very good. I just watched the second episode of the George & Tammy segment. Looking forward to more

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: November 18, 2017, 09:12:11 AM »

I don't think this was posted yet.

Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives - Full Performance (Live on KEXP)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI9oVs4julc

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: November 19, 2017, 09:00:01 AM »

Country Music Hall of Famer Mel Tillis dead at 85

http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2017/11/19/mel-tillis-dead-country-music-hall-famer/852933001/

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx