gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680844 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 07:19:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Probyn Gregory interview - new album, tour & grammy's info  (Read 18416 times)
mickey
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2012, 10:35:03 PM »

Crack  works for me too!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2012, 11:06:42 PM »

80's beach boys?  so like what, a bunch of getcha backs?  i just hope it doesn't SOUND 80s. please. pleeaaaaseeee no 80s production.

and how good can this "god made the radio" song actually be???  stop hyping me!!

I concur.  I've decided that I already hate this song.  If this damn thing is so great, maybe they should just scrap the new album, release the song as a single and call it a day.   Dead Horse

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2012, 11:07:24 PM »

80's beach boys?  so like what, a bunch of getcha backs?  i just hope it doesn't SOUND 80s. please. pleeaaaaseeee no 80s production.
Getcha Back doesn't really sound like most of the songs on  BB85. But I'd imagine he was referring to the Kokomo / Still Cruisin' sound when he meant 80s Beach Boys.

You mean like Island Fever...? The "cousin of Kokomo" ?  Undecided

Wasn't that whole album basically the "cousin of 'Kokomo'"?  Or at least its illegitimate children?  Afro
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:09:47 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2012, 11:57:57 PM »

80's beach boys?  so like what, a bunch of getcha backs?  i just hope it doesn't SOUND 80s. please. pleeaaaaseeee no 80s production.
Getcha Back doesn't really sound like most of the songs on  BB85. But I'd imagine he was referring to the Kokomo / Still Cruisin' sound when he meant 80s Beach Boys.

You mean like Island Fever...? The "cousin of Kokomo" ?  Undecided

Wasn't that whole album basically the "cousin of 'Kokomo'"?  Or at least its illegitimate children?  Afro

Still Cruisin was the son of Kokomo. SIP was the crazy backwoods relative who's hooked on meth.
Paulos
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2012, 04:00:15 AM »

Probyn gives a great interview, that's for sure.  Very interesting to read his comments about the Grammys and the new album.  The "80's Beach Boys" thing scares me, but at least we seem to have one great track to look forward to. 

Where I Belong was an 80s song and that's brilliant, no need to be scared (I hope)!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2012, 04:14:25 AM »

and how good can this "god made the radio" song actually be???  stop hyping me!!

I concur.  I've decided that I already hate this song.  If this damn thing is so great, maybe they should just scrap the new album, release the song as a single and call it a day.   Dead Horse

With that title I can only imagine something along the lines of "Slightly American Music" or "The Spirit of Rock'n'Roll" coming our way.
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »

With that title I can only imagine something along the lines of "Slightly American Music" or "The Spirit of Rock'n'Roll" coming our way.
I would imagine mid tempo chorus only, then a sublime verse fur sure.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2012, 06:44:47 PM »

Hopefully more like the former.

Is it terrible I keep writing this song in my head? My chorus sounds pretty amazing, tbf, they'd be fools not to have used it  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2012, 07:17:21 PM »

Am I the only one who likes Crack at your Love?   LOL
I'm a big fan of it. I love BB85.

I think compared to some of the albums before and the ones after it's really decent. If you strip away most of the synths you have a bunch of decent songs there, if they had songs that matched the calibre of the better efforts on BB85 and with some nice production they could have something really nice on their hands. I love Al's vocal on Crack at Your Love, it's great when he goes into that little falsetto part.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2012, 09:11:46 AM »

Am I the only one who likes Crack at your Love?   LOL
I'm a big fan of it. I love BB85.

I think compared to some of the albums before and the ones after it's really decent. If you strip away most of the synths you have a bunch of decent songs there, if they had songs that matched the calibre of the better efforts on BB85 and with some nice production they could have something really nice on their hands. I love Al's vocal on Crack at Your Love, it's great when he goes into that little falsetto part.

Like I said earlier, I really like the '85 album. Of course today it sounds datedwith the synths but it is the last Beach Boys album where they tried to be contemporary and create new music. "Male ego" (I know it wasn't on the album) is one helluva catchy pop song. When the chorus starts and you hear Carl in the background doing that beautiful ascending line while Brian is singing very strongly in his mid-range, I really get the feeling this should've been a hit. The lytics could be better but the music is cool

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2012, 06:16:37 PM »

Ok. HOW do we get to whose ever in charge here and tell them Joe Thomas is going to make this album sh*t. Even if it has some "amazing" songs on it (like BB85), still the production is going to have that cheesy/slick feel to it. God, even if you did make radio this is making me SICK.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:18:03 PM by Melt Away » Logged

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2012, 06:25:15 PM »

Ok. HOW do we get to whose ever in charge here and tell them Joe Thomas is going to make this album sh*t. Even if it has some "amazing" songs on it, still the production is going to have that cheesy/slick feel to it. God, even if you did make radio this is making me SICK.

Yeah, the Do It Again remake has that same kind of "clinical" vibe to it. Though I feel the same way about SMiLE '04, TLOS, Gershwin and Disney.

I blame computers. People thinking they can make stuff sound better with computers. I think it's time to start a new retro fad and record stuff exclusively to tape. No more of this digitally manipulating sounds to make them sound the way you want them to sound.

I also blame the government. But I can't let me reasons be known, yet.

No mas, por favor.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2012, 06:28:26 PM »

I say listen to the album first and THEN hate it!

Just give them a fucking chance.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2012, 06:51:17 PM »

Just give them a f*cking chance.

I'll give and I've given The BB's many chances but, Joe Thomas, a former professional wrestler turned the most cheesetastic "producer" in history. I gave him a chance with Imagination and that's all I needed to hear. Still, I hope for the best.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2012, 06:53:14 PM »

Whoa. Man. Whoa. Hate is such an ugly word. I don't hate, I masturbate.  Afro

No mas, por favor.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2012, 06:53:58 PM »

I'll give and I've given The BB's many chances but, Joe Thomas, a former professional wrestler turned the most cheesetastic "producer" in history. I gave him a chance with Imagination and that's all I needed to hear. Still, I hope for the best.

It's still not been established exactly what his role is in the new album. It's been confirmed that he recorded for a few days last year with Brian, and that the two have written songs. It has been confirmed that his company will be producing the PBS special.

It has not been confirmed that he's actually a producer on the record. Indeed, one press release suggested Brian alone was. And Probyn explicitly stays Joe is acting like an "executive producer" -- that is, running traffic and scheduling work on the record. Not necessarily producing the sessions.

But we shall see.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2012, 12:16:39 AM »

Just an idle thought... as JT is helming the DVD... and the Grammy performance will undoubtedly be on the DVD... maybe that's why the TV feed differed so markedly from the hall mix ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2012, 12:50:37 AM »

Speaking of that difference, does anyone have a link to that cell phone video of the house feed?  I was just thinking about it today.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2012, 01:57:54 AM »

Speaking of that difference, does anyone have a link to that cell phone video of the house feed?  I was just thinking about it today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPs5r2mcoEM

No mas, por favor.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2012, 02:00:00 AM »

They really fudged that up. The people I know who watched it think it was lip synched. Brian sounded fine. Not a good mix. Hopefully the DVD version will do justice to the actual performance. Though they already blew it since not nearly as many people are going to watch that.

No mas, por favor.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2012, 04:20:05 AM »

Just an idle thought... as JT is helming the DVD... and the Grammy performance will undoubtedly be on the DVD... maybe that's why the TV feed differed so markedly from the hall mix ?

That could be the case, I still can't believe how much it differed and it wasn't just Brian's vocals either. Mike sounded kinda washed out and echoey when he came in on the "I'm picking up" line on the tv feed but those bass vocals boomed in the hall mix. If it's on the dvd they'll likely sort out the levels of Brian's vocal like they did with the Live 8 dvd. Brian was inaudible on the live broadcast of that but (for better or worse) you can hear him much more clearly on the dvd version.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2012, 10:14:58 AM »

Much oblidged, Mr Stacks!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2012, 03:39:48 PM »

Okay, where did the interview go?

Link seems gone.

“We live in divisive times.”
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2012, 04:00:58 PM »

Since the link no longer works, does anyone know how else to access this interview?  Or did anyone save it?
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2012, 04:24:43 PM »

Yes, does anyone feel like sharing this interview now that the tour is over and whatnot.  I missed it the first time around and have been wanting to read it for 9 months.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx