gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:20:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will the new album be good? Like....good? (Also hi)  (Read 6067 times)
mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2012, 04:41:51 AM »

Hey all,

I'm a huge beach boys fan.  Pet Sounds is my favorite album of all time, and SMiLE is up there as well.  Brian Wilson's music strikes my soul like no other music I've ever heard.  It's very spiritual and beautiful.  Anyway that's enough about me.

At first I was trying not to get too excited for this new album.  It's been a looong time since BW wrote something that really affected me like his earlier work.  Til I Die is probably the last of his compositions that really struck a chord with me (no pun intended).  So when I heard about the new album, I was ready to blow it off.  Not to say I thought it would be bad, but I didn't think it would be sensational.

But then I read about how he and the others say it has a very 60s feel to it, and the fact that the end of the album is a suite is leading me to think that this might be something special. 

Now, BW hyped up That Lucky Old Sun as well, and while I did enjoy that album I don't consider it a classic. 

So my question is, do you think this album could possibly be BW's epic return to form?  Is that even remotely possible?  It would be so cool if he ended his career with one last masterpiece.  But I'm afraid to get my hopes up. 

What are you all expecting from this album? 
mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 04:43:45 AM »

Also I probably should have posted this in the other forum  3D
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 05:12:39 AM »

It will probably sound like a very good BB cover band trying to imitate the 60's BB sound.
I think the new songs will sound exactly like 'That Lucky Old Sun' and the other recent BW solo albums.
Will it be a classic?
I highly doubt it, but that doesn't mean a thing.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 05:19:20 AM »

Also I probably should have posted this in the other forum  3D

I'll take care of that.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 11:05:11 AM »

I doubt it, especially if its padded out with half-baked remakes of old songs like Do It Again or even Waves of Love (I don't care if it has yet to be officially released). It would be so much more interesting and inspiring to hear a batch of freshly written material.

I want to hear another Brian written album.  He's the only member of the band with legitimate songwriting ability and I don't think that I, or the public, want to hear any of Al or Mike's nostalgic corn.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 11:30:28 AM »

I doubt it, especially if its padded out with half-baked remakes of old songs like Do It Again or even Waves of Love (I don't care if it has yet to be officially released). It would be so much more interesting and inspiring to hear a batch of freshly written material.

I want to hear another Brian written album.  He's the only member of the band with legitimate songwriting ability and I don't think that I, or the public, want to hear any of Al or Mike's nostalgic corn.

I know what you are saying , however just a thought 'ALL of Brians solo albums has either a cover of an old BB song or a retread of something from the vaults' 
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 12:18:45 PM »

If you're expecting another Pet Sounds, you're probably going to be disappoint.

It'll probably sound somewhere between BB 85 and Summer In Paradise but with less sterile 80s production and more sterile 2012 Protools production. And less Carl.  Undecided

I don't doubt Brian's songwriting ability, but the vocal blend and the production has me wondering.

No mas, por favor.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 12:32:50 PM »

It'll probably sound somewhere between BB 85 and Summer In Paradise [...]
I don't think that's the direction they're taking. It'll sound more like That Lucky Old Sun than like Summer in Paradise.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »

I always thought TLOS would have made a great BB album.  That is, if they just could have come in and not screwed it up. So, I am cautiously optimistic.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 02:23:25 PM »

I always thought TLOS would have made a great BB album.  That is, if they just could have come in and not screwed it up. So, I am cautiously optimistic.

I feel the same way. I loved the instrumentals on TLOS, loved the arrangements, the idea of it. The abstract quality of the album really makes it something to go back to.
_____

I think if Brian writes some songs where Al can really let his voice shine it will be a great album. And for the love of God don't auto-tune Mike's voice.

Brian has a lot of great tunes left in him. If he can write some songs like 'Good kind of Love' this album will be a knockout. Heck, they should re-record 'Good Kind Of Love' and put it on this album - it is THAT good.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 02:26:45 PM »

eff yes it will be great

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 02:32:09 PM »

On recent form, if it is no good it wont be Brian's fault.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:22:45 PM by 18thofMay » Logged

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 02:33:59 PM »

I would be more than happy if it was on a par with TLOS in terms of songwriting and arrangements. The slightly blockbuster production diminishes the off-the-cuff nature of the songs, which call to mind a Friends vibe for me. We know Brian's in good voice, and sometimes I get to thinking the problems of the Do It Again re-record are down to the 'casual' nature in which it was recorded in - it was a test run for getting the guys in the studio again, before the album was being floated as a serious proposition. If they do the album in a methodical and hard-working state of mind, like Brian's solo albums, there will be less auto-tuning, I think.

Also, welcome aboard!  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 03:39:56 PM »

Can't say I've been all that hyped about the new album.  My heart wants to believe it will be good, but my head thinks otherwise.  I'm going into it with zero expectations.  I'll be content should there be anything salvageable from it.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 03:44:35 PM »

I'm looking forward to the album. I'm not expecting a masterpiece but I am expecting a really good album. My biggest concern is I hope that the production isn't too slick.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 05:27:09 PM »

If you're expecting another Pet Sounds, you're probably going to be disappoint.

It'll probably sound somewhere between BB 85 and Summer In Paradise but with less sterile 80s production and more sterile 2012 Protools production. And less Carl.  Undecided

I don't doubt Brian's songwriting ability, but the vocal blend and the production has me wondering.

Summer In Paradise was recorded using Pro Tools. Pro Tools doesn't impart any kind of sound on recordings, it's simply a suite that enables recording and editing functions, it's no different to using other packages like Cubase, Reason or Logic. If you wanted you could even record something to tape and then transfer that to Protools for editing although I doubt they'll be doing that for this album. It would give the sound a lovely warmth though!  Smiley
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 05:40:20 PM »

The Magic Eight Ball says.....

DEFINITELY

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 08:42:03 PM »

Also I probably should have posted this in the other forum  3D

I'll take care of that.

Thanks  Cool

And to everyone else who replied, I agree that cautious optimism is the best way to approach it.  I don't understand why the production sounds so cheesy though on BWs recent albums (Gershwin, BWPS).  The technology should be better, so why doesn't it sound better?  Doesn't make sense that Pet Sounds sound quality is superior.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:45:32 PM by mr_oleary » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 09:45:50 PM »

I don't understand why the production sounds so cheesy though on BWs recent albums (Gershwin, BWPS).  The technology should be better, so why doesn't it sound better?  Doesn't make sense that Pet Sounds sound quality is superior.

First off, BWPS is hardly recent. It's eight years old at this point, and Brian has released four albums since then.

Secondly, recent recording tech is much more about making recording easier and more convenient, not necessarily about making the audio sound more realistic. Heck, some of the best-sounding recordings ever come from the direct-to-tape "Living Stereo" classical LPs from the 1950s.

"Cheesy" production would seem to be a matter of taste, although I'm not sure precisely what you mean by that. The albums you mention do have a generally slicker, cleaner sound than what BW recorded in the 1960s. So do most records.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 10:33:35 PM »

i'm expecting some good Brian songs.  crapshoot on the other tunes.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 10:35:14 PM »

I think the criticism of sound quality comes partially from listeners' expectations. People want Brian Wilson albums to sound like the 1960's, not the 2000's.

I heard BWPS before I really delved into any BB-related albums (Pet Sounds excepted), and I thought it sounded fantastic. It's only been on repeated listenings of TSS that I've started to find BWPS too slick for my taste.

Also, on the topic of sterile production: although tape can add some pleasant imperfections, don't forget that a huge bulk of that sound comes from the console and preamps. A really colorful analog console, even if it's going to Pro Tools, is still going to impart that warm sound. Heck, an album like Nirvana's Nevermind was recorded to tape, and that's one of the slickest-sounding rock records of the early-90's.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:36:41 PM by Austin » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 11:05:03 PM »

Andy Paley got the closest sound to the 60s records, IMO. The problem is, it seemed sometimes like he was trying to manipulate Brian in his very own, retro way.

There's no way to really make a Brian Wilson record that everyone likes, sad to say, because the Brian Wilson who makes records everyone likes only lived in the 1960s.
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 12:21:36 AM »

It will probably sound like a very good BB cover band trying to imitate the 60's BB sound.
I think the new songs will sound exactly like 'That Lucky Old Sun' and the other recent BW solo albums.

Let's be honest, if it sounds anything like TLOS, that will make it better than any LP this band has done post-Holland (ignoring Love You).
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 12:28:06 AM »

I honestly don't think they will be likely to screw this record up. If this album is any less than good, I will be very surprised. I don't think we'll get another complete dud like SIP.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 01:14:22 AM »

they asked the boys in an interview will it sound like pet sounds/smile and they were puzzled...I'm hoping they at least come up with some beautiful melodies otherwise it'll be a flop that some will praise later and make seem like it's more amazing than it actually is.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx