gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 12:31:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Roots Of The Beach Boys" new CD  (Read 12754 times)
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 10:31:22 PM »

Where's  - I can hear music?
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 01:21:08 AM »

Thanks Mikie, didn't know about Tennesse Waltz being on the Spring album as haven't got around to getting the Spring album and I forgot that I have the Party! outtake of One Kiss Led To Another - I guess we all know about Sweet Little Sixteen but that compilation still has a misleading title.

Oh and Disney Boy, regarding the low brow humour I did wonder what Australian fans would make of the title 'The Roots of the Beach Boys' - in Australia this would translate as ''The F*cks of the Beach Boys'!

If only it'd been called 'The Origins of the Beach Boys', then my gag would've worked somewhat better
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 01:35:19 AM »

Oh and Disney Boy, regarding the low brow humour I did wonder what Australian fans would make of the title 'The Roots of the Beach Boys' - in Australia this would translate as ''The F*cks of the Beach Boys'!

LOL Thanks for the clarification, Paulos, I certainly had translated as above and was expecting a box set just to cover Dennis's input/output, let alone the rest of the gang

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 09:30:50 AM »

The contents of which are a copy of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and the American Spring album?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 05:03:03 AM »

Maybe they couldn't get the rights to include some of those obvious ones, or it cost too much to use them? Of course obvious ones to fans would be "Underwater" "Barbara Ann" and the like, and obvious ones to Smile fans would be "Gee", "Work With Me, Annie", and "The Old Master Painter"...but that stuff might be too obscure...although who would actually buy this compilation besides more devoted fans who could connect the BB's to these songs?

I have to question some of the versions of these songs - often when a more obscure version is included it means that record was cheaper to use than a more familiar recording. Like "Bluebirds Over The Mountain", I'd think the Ersel Hickey original might be the first choice for a set like this since it was technically a "hit". Unless one of the Wilsons specifically mentioned Valens' version.

And how about DION doing Ruby Baby??? THAT was the version that the BB's vocals seemed to be copying more on the Party version than the Drifters, at least to my ears...again I'll stand corrected if one of the band members has cited the Drifters' take over the more familiar Dion version, but I doubt it...
What's Work with Me Annie and what's it's correlation to Smile?

BTW, where's the Beatles on the Roots disc? Should have the whole US version of Rubber Soul on there.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 05:05:01 AM »

idk but I think the Beach Boys version is far superior to the Ronnettes (sorry Phil, don't shoot me!  Wink)
I think it's also more well known than their original version.

Also, She and Him's version feels very inspired by the Beach Boys' version.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 05:28:03 AM »

It's this, right? An original version of it says 'Work With Me, Annie'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsgBUtW_O4E

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 07:35:07 AM »

It's this, right? An original version of it says 'Work With Me, Annie'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsgBUtW_O4E
Now I'm really confused! I know the song you posted from Back to the Future (playing on jukebox when George McFly talks to Larraine about being her density)...so how does it fit into Smile?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

sparkydog1725
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 02:25:02 PM »

"You Are My Sunshine" by anyone.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2012, 02:38:26 PM »

This is a 'public domain' comp. Meaning, in the UK, music made 50 or more years ago, the copyright has lapsed, and certain labels take advantage of this by releasing CD's of music with material from 1962 and earlier. That's why there's no "Be My Baby", or "I Can Hear Music".

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 02:45:53 PM »

More of a 'songs the BB covered' comp if you ask me - a pukka 'roots' album would include "Jennie Lee" by Jan & Dean, "Underwater" by the Frogmen", "When You Wish Upon A Star" by Ukulele Ike, "Stranded In the Jungle" by The Cadets and of course, "Shortenin' Bread" by, oh, anyone.

Oh, and the obvious one is missing.

Fanny Mae by Buster Brown

That too, but I'm talking the screamingly obvious one.

Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring?

There are lots of these 'The Roots Of...' compilations - Elvis, Dylan, Stones, Beatles, no idea if they all follow a similar format.

Yeah the Four Freshmen was the most glaring omission to me as well. Interesting concept for a collection album.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2012, 06:37:47 PM »

I would say at least a surf instrumental plus Runaway plus Why Do Fools Fall In Love and of course BE MY BABY but Roots of the BB really doesn't describe the compilation. Oh well....
LonelyDays
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 05:13:26 PM »

idk but I think the Beach Boys version is far superior to the Ronnettes (sorry Phil, don't shoot me!  Wink)

The Ronettes' version was produced by Jeff Barry. Nothing to do with Phil :D
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 07:41:49 PM »

I agree, far superior.  Carls voice on this is one of my favorite of his.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 01:18:09 AM »

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2012, 05:11:22 AM »

Just found a different version of this on some mix of 78s, but another link to the SS version of Wonderful.....?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY4ZOOaxaKA

Paulos
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2012, 07:24:03 AM »

The artwork for this CD has been released

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2012, 07:39:56 AM »

Rather crappy... looks like the Beach Boys did the soundtrack for a new Silent Hill game, or something.
Paulos
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2012, 07:47:19 AM »

Rather crappy... looks like the Beach Boys did the soundtrack for a new Silent Hill game, or something.

The entire series of 'Roots Of' CDs have the same look. Nice to see we get the obligatory woodie and surf boards.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2012, 10:04:31 AM »

Where's the incidental music from Laurel and Hardy?

Honk! Honk!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2012, 10:29:13 AM »

The entire series of 'Roots Of' CDs have the same look. Nice to see we get the obligatory woodie and surf boards.
Got a couple of "Roots Of..." CDs that look entirely different. Maybe it's not the same label or series or whatever.
Paulos
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2012, 12:27:44 PM »

Hmmm, this looks like a pretty similar design to me!

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2012, 12:50:29 PM »

plz delete
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2012, 12:50:57 PM »

That's obviously the same series in which the Beach Boys CD appears. Yes. But like I said, guess the compilations I have are not from that series. Actually, I've never even seen that design.
Paulos
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2012, 11:28:30 AM »

Got this CD through the post today, the liner notes are by Dave Henderson of Mojo, who manages to make some incredible mistakes, for example "Their debut set Surfin' Safari from 1962 included a version of The Gamblers' proto-surf instrumental 'Moon Dawg' as well as Eddie Cochran's party starting 'C'mon Everybody....". How the hell does he manage to confuse C'mon Everybody with Summertime Blues? They may have given us the glorious Cabin Essence/Wonderful yellow vinyl but Mojo sure do have some sloppy writers.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:30:47 AM by Paulos » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx