gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:40:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Recreation (Suite One), played and sung from scratch by me. Have a listen!  (Read 7234 times)
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 06:02:16 PM »

Exquisite.

So very difficult to harmonize with one's self and create a blend that actually sounds like different voices instead of just a "stack", but you pulled it off here. Bravo! Like all great covers, you refresh the original and let us hear anew...

Thank you for sharing.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 07:40:44 PM »

i like that H&V is bwps speed.  good stuff man
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 03:08:54 AM »

Wow - outstanding. I agree with the comparison to Mike/Bruce voice-a-like oscillation, that seems spot on. Your understanding of vocal harmony is amazing. If there's a constructive criticism here - and is this picking nits (and may be a compliment in some ways) - it's that some (definitely not all) of the vocal deliveries (in Prayer for example) use the same approach as the touring group, i.e. a bit 'scoopy' in the chord changes, the result being a tad glee-club-eque. The more straight-ahead approach taken by the BBs is more to my taste. But...I'm comparing you with the BBs. How's that even fair??

5:45 - stunning. Stunning!!!

This is so impressive - well done!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 03:33:26 PM »

I'm sure it'll prompt some "Why bother covering it if you're not going to add your own spin?" comments

None of that here.

Sounds great, I downloaded the .wav version from Soundcloud, gonna burn a disc when I get parts two and three Wink

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 06:43:38 PM »

Man, I keep spinning this. You're the man, seriously, and I can't wait for the rest  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 07:32:58 PM »

This is absolutely astonishing. Ignore the comments of that guy on the youtube video nitpicking about too much treble and autotune, he's missing the point of what you've done here. Really amazing man.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 07:37:42 PM »

You just need to get the "new" worms melody in there, and it will be perect

yes.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
JCarson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2012, 05:03:58 AM »

JCarson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2012, 05:26:07 AM »

Excuse the above, just picking myself off the floor...

O man, this is so good. You and that Jacob Borshard fellow should maybe get together for the ultimate SMiLE recreation (and why not throw in the guy behing SMiLE A.D. also!)

Seriously, this kind of work reminds me (and forgive the pseudo-profundity) that human beings are so remarkable... to work so hard on something without any profit motive, simply for love!

And, also SMiLE's place in the landscape of culture seems, to me, to grow more exceptional. What other collection of music inspires such acts of dedication and imagination?

I still can't quite place my finger on why SMiLE is so special. It might be, in part, because it was generated at a particular turning point in Western history - perhaps when older, more rigid and traditional understandings of the world were giving way to more liberal visions, but at a time when western secular capitalism hadn't quite triumphed. So SMiLE gets a kick from the excitement of living on the verge of a new epoch ("The Age of Aquarius") while retaining an openness to spiritual values, without yet being blighted by the wholesale succumbling of popular culture to sex, money and sentimentality.

I don't know! (N.B. These musings are entirely derived from Ian MacDonalds opening essay in "Revolution in The Head"!)

Whatever the case. Thank you and hope you get Parts 2 and 3 finished.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2012, 12:03:39 PM »

Outtasight! Pretty fucking amazing my man. Superb job!
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »

I'll join in the choir and also express my absolute amazement at this. Really unbelievable job, dude. I love the little unique spin you put on "H&V". I know it won't be for a looooong while, but I can't help but be really anxious to hear Suite 2!  Ahhh!

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2012, 05:52:08 PM »

Awesome job mate! Shocked Shocked Shocked Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:02:22 PM by dmcguire70 » Logged

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2012, 06:37:55 PM »

WOW!! The thought I had while playing H&V was that it lets me hear the song after it had been given the sweetening and final polish the Smile version never got. The flow you managed to create highlights just how far ahead Brian was with his ideas.

I would pitch your recordings to some labels and see if anyone takes you up on the covering of a complete album.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »

Amazing!  Nice work!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 10:47:15 AM »

I have to ask - are you singing 'agriculture' or 'upper country'?

Anlso, using the MP3 download, I've split the tracks up if anyone is interested, although egon would probably rather choose where the splits were.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 01:38:26 PM »

Pretty Good. Sorta sounds like an all Bruce version of SMiLE.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 04:25:21 PM »

Well done. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
egon spengler
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2012, 08:38:13 PM »

thank you all again for the great reception!  the new little man and work have kept me away from here lately, so thanks too for keepin' the thread alive..

Anlso, using the MP3 download, I've split the tracks up if anyone is interested, although egon would probably rather choose where the splits were.

good idea.. here's a split version: http://www.mediafire.com/?insev7i1w2o2njd

tracklist:

01 - Our Prayer
02 - Gee
03 - Heroes & Villians
04 - Do You Like Worms (with H&V reprise outro)
05 - I'm In Great Shape
06 - Barnyard
07 - The Old Master Painter/You Were My Sunshine
08 - Cabin Essence

I have to ask - are you singing 'agriculture' or 'upper country'?

glad you noticed! i tried to be more reverential to the original recordings than BWPS wherever possible (with a few exceptions), so i sang "upper [or possibly open Wink] country" in IIGS.. and i replaced the second "barnyard" with "farmyard," as quoted in Jules Siegel's article and heard in the Humble Harv demo. that's also why i left DYLW's bicycle rider fade outro--with the gutteral chants on top, a la the first piece of "Heroes & Villains (Sections)."

Wow - outstanding. I agree with the comparison to Mike/Bruce voice-a-like oscillation, that seems spot on. Your understanding of vocal harmony is amazing. If there's a constructive criticism here - and is this picking nits (and may be a compliment in some ways) - it's that some (definitely not all) of the vocal deliveries (in Prayer for example) use the same approach as the touring group, i.e. a bit 'scoopy' in the chord changes, the result being a tad glee-club-eque. The more straight-ahead approach taken by the BBs is more to my taste. But...I'm comparing you with the BBs. How's that even fair??

5:45 - stunning. Stunning!!!

This is so impressive - well done!

thanks for the thoughtful comments. i know what you mean about the scoopy vocals--i tried to avoid it wherever i could, though i sometimes have a hard time hitting notes right on the first try and have an easier time bending up to them (if that makes sense). there are literally thousands of vocal outtakes on my harddrive--they're why it took so long to complete, by far.

..by the way, all of these Bruce/Mike comments are cracking me up.

I would pitch your recordings to some labels and see if anyone takes you up on the covering of a complete album.

a very interesting thought. i'd really like to at least post it on Brian's board for some more publicity, but the more views it gets the more likely the copyright police are to make me take it down. i'm actually surprised this hasn't already gone the way of the Polly Tones cover. 

Awesome job mate! Shocked Shocked Shocked Cheesy

thanks, dave--i haven't had any time to record lately so our little group cover idea kinda fell to the side, but we should still try to make it happen!

Excuse the above, just picking myself off the floor...

O man, this is so good. You and that Jacob Borshard fellow should maybe get together for the ultimate SMiLE recreation (and why not throw in the guy behing SMiLE A.D. also!)

Seriously, this kind of work reminds me (and forgive the pseudo-profundity) that human beings are so remarkable... to work so hard on something without any profit motive, simply for love!

And, also SMiLE's place in the landscape of culture seems, to me, to grow more exceptional. What other collection of music inspires such acts of dedication and imagination?

I still can't quite place my finger on why SMiLE is so special. It might be, in part, because it was generated at a particular turning point in Western history - perhaps when older, more rigid and traditional understandings of the world were giving way to more liberal visions, but at a time when western secular capitalism hadn't quite triumphed. So SMiLE gets a kick from the excitement of living on the verge of a new epoch ("The Age of Aquarius") while retaining an openness to spiritual values, without yet being blighted by the wholesale succumbling of popular culture to sex, money and sentimentality.

I don't know! (N.B. These musings are entirely derived from Ian MacDonalds opening essay in "Revolution in The Head"!)

Whatever the case. Thank you and hope you get Parts 2 and 3 finished.

i certainly didn't expect this to inspire such a dissertation--but i know exactly what you mean Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx