gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:21:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worst Beatles Songs :/  (Read 39518 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2012, 09:30:14 PM »

What Goes On

I tend to agree. The only thing that partially saves it for me is George's guitar picking.

Honey Pie is dreadful. Til There Was You is so boring. Doctor Robert is pretty far down there, especially when considering the material on Revolver.

As far as them being lesser tunes compared to what surrounds them on those albums, I tend to agree, but I'd like to illustrate the point we were bouncing around in earlier posts about the Beatles being able to add that elusive something to a song to make it worth a listen:

Honey Pie: Retro, song-and-dance 20's/30's vibe for sure, you can only take that schtick so far as I'm sure all the soul singers who currently wish to sound more like Otis Redding than themselves will find out soon (sorry... Smiley). But that guitar solo...that's John Lennon jazzing all over the place on that. Even George Harrison said he was taken aback by what John played, and thought it sounded like Django Reinhardt or something. Jazz, coming from John, the guitar basher, of all people. One highlight.

Dr. Robert: Not much to latch onto, but the Beach Boys-leaning vocal breaks are pretty neat. Some interesting guitar sounds and textures in the breaks, and during the fade...pretty unique sounds and phrases.

Till There Was You: Pleasant vocal, not much else, *but* George's guitar solo...I think the Beatles were trying to show off the fact that they could play the "songbook" standards too and weren't just a three-chord-rock flash in the pan. Diminished chords! Chromatics! Jazz phrasing! And if you watch that first Ed Sullivan broadcast when they do this tune, George actually tops himself by playing a flawless solo on electric rather than his classical acoustic from the record.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2012, 09:33:19 PM »

No, but the album has some great songs - Let It Be, Get It Back, I've Got a Feeling, Two of Us, Across The Universe. Those are all great.

I agree with these, those are all highlights and good standalone songs and performances. But they didn't release the *best* version of Across The Universe, the best which I think is the most stripped down version that's out there, until years later. They badly mishandled that song, which is a great song.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2012, 09:33:52 PM »

My grandfather loved Honey Pie, so they must have pulled off the pastiche well. And I love Dr. Robert too and the slow-drawl vocal that Lennon was using at that time. It was a weird style of singing that seemed to disappear after that album.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2012, 09:35:48 PM »

No, but the album has some great songs - Let It Be, Get It Back, I've Got a Feeling, Two of Us, Across The Universe. Those are all great.

I agree with these, those are all highlights and good standalone songs and performances. But they didn't release the *best* version of Across The Universe, the best which I think is the most stripped down version that's out there, until years later. They badly mishandled that song, which is a great song.

The one that I tend to stick with is the version on Anthology 2 with what I think, from memory, might be tambouras on it. I prefer that over the Let it Be Naked version (which might even be the same take). You're right though, ATU was a casualty of Spector along with Long and Winding Road. In that respect, Macca was right.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2012, 09:37:38 PM »

hmmm they are ok..across the universe is amazing though Smiley and when i say ok i mean on beatles terms.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2012, 09:38:33 PM »

I say this 100% honestly: Beatles For Sale is actually one of my favorite go-to Beatles albums, the one I'll reach for more often to get a fix of the Beatles. I can't explain why, but it just is.

Least favorite is hard, very tough to call. I certainly wouldn't put Beatles For Sale *anywhere* behind Yellow Submarine or Let It Be.

Honestly, besides the title track and Get Back, what on Let It Be can stand next to the average track on Beatles For Sale?

The fact that the Beatles were world-weary, were tired, and were barely able to sneak in studio time while touring the world might have something to do with why I like the performances. The album sounds good, minus a few exceptions.

Let It Be the overall album sounds forced, lifeless, and cold. EXCEPT the title track, which is an absolute masterpiece, a fantastic record. And Get Back, which rocks like a motherf*cker.
my least favorite albums are definately "beatles for sale" & "let it be" i felt like their last album is the worst...at least go out with a bang!....my favorite is "magical mystery tour"..then "rubber soul" then "white album"

To be fair, Abbey Road was their last album, so they did go out with a bang. Let It Be was shelved (as "Get Back") because they weren't happy with how things were going. It was to be released before Abbey Road. Spector was asked to complete it, unbeknownst to the Beatles themselves. The album was released after they were broken up.
so abbey road was their last true album?
why did they even release let it be?...well at least let it be has some of the greatest songs they ever did like across the universe & don't let me down. :D

"Get Back" was pretty well fully recorded in I believe January of 1969. They didn't start work on Abbey Road until April of 1969. As I said, they were not happy with how "Get Back" had turned out, so they shelved it until December of 1969. It was eventually given to Phil Spector to finish and he added all of the overdubs and stuff and Apple released it as Let It Be in May of 1970.
so why did they release let it be after abbey road?
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »

why did they even release let it be?...well at least let it be has some of the greatest songs they ever did like across the universe & don't let me down. :D

Don't Let Me Down isn't on Let It Be.
OH sh*t!! then just across the universe :/

Don't Let Me Down is the B side to the Get Back single.
i wish it was on the album ..-___- fuckin phil spector!...and did it chart well?
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2012, 09:45:08 PM »

I say this 100% honestly: Beatles For Sale is actually one of my favorite go-to Beatles albums, the one I'll reach for more often to get a fix of the Beatles. I can't explain why, but it just is.

Least favorite is hard, very tough to call. I certainly wouldn't put Beatles For Sale *anywhere* behind Yellow Submarine or Let It Be.

Honestly, besides the title track and Get Back, what on Let It Be can stand next to the average track on Beatles For Sale?

The fact that the Beatles were world-weary, were tired, and were barely able to sneak in studio time while touring the world might have something to do with why I like the performances. The album sounds good, minus a few exceptions.

Let It Be the overall album sounds forced, lifeless, and cold. EXCEPT the title track, which is an absolute masterpiece, a fantastic record. And Get Back, which rocks like a motherf*cker.
my least favorite albums are definately "beatles for sale" & "let it be" i felt like their last album is the worst...at least go out with a bang!....my favorite is "magical mystery tour"..then "rubber soul" then "white album"

To be fair, Abbey Road was their last album, so they did go out with a bang. Let It Be was shelved (as "Get Back") because they weren't happy with how things were going. It was to be released before Abbey Road. Spector was asked to complete it, unbeknownst to the Beatles themselves. The album was released after they were broken up.

"Get Back" was pretty well fully recorded in I believe January of 1969. They didn't start work on Abbey Road until April of 1969. As I said, they were not happy with how "Get Back" had turned out, so they shelved it until December of 1969. It was eventually given to Phil Spector to finish and he added all of the overdubs and stuff and Apple released it as Let It Be in May of 1970.

Because they had moved on to Abbey Road and pretty well knew it was going to be their last album, so they went all out (except maybe Maxwell's Silver Hammer LOL). Like I said, they gave the Get Back tapes another try in December to at least get the album out with the movie. I don't know who turned them over to Phil Spector (I'm guessing the label and not the Beatles themselves), but he got them. Let It Be hit #1 in the UK.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2012, 09:48:24 PM »

What Goes On

I tend to agree. The only thing that partially saves it for me is George's guitar picking.

Honey Pie is dreadful. Til There Was You is so boring. Doctor Robert is pretty far down there, especially when considering the material on Revolver.

As far as them being lesser tunes compared to what surrounds them on those albums, I tend to agree, but I'd like to illustrate the point we were bouncing around in earlier posts about the Beatles being able to add that elusive something to a song to make it worth a listen:

Honey Pie: Retro, song-and-dance 20's/30's vibe for sure, you can only take that schtick so far as I'm sure all the soul singers who currently wish to sound more like Otis Redding than themselves will find out soon (sorry... Smiley). But that guitar solo...that's John Lennon jazzing all over the place on that. Even George Harrison said he was taken aback by what John played, and thought it sounded like Django Reinhardt or something. Jazz, coming from John, the guitar basher, of all people. One highlight.

Dr. Robert: Not much to latch onto, but the Beach Boys-leaning vocal breaks are pretty neat. Some interesting guitar sounds and textures in the breaks, and during the fade...pretty unique sounds and phrases.

Till There Was You: Pleasant vocal, not much else, *but* George's guitar solo...I think the Beatles were trying to show off the fact that they could play the "songbook" standards too and weren't just a three-chord-rock flash in the pan. Diminished chords! Chromatics! Jazz phrasing! And if you watch that first Ed Sullivan broadcast when they do this tune, George actually tops himself by playing a flawless solo on electric rather than his classical acoustic from the record.

I can get through Doctor Robert because of the guitars and vocals. It's not great, but kind of disappointing on an album like Revolver. Honey Pie, it depends on my mood, but I usually won't listen to it. I do like your points, but they only add so much, really.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2012, 09:51:41 PM »

Don't Let Me Down isn't on Let It Be.
OH sh*t!! then just across the universe :/

Don't Let Me Down is the B side to the Get Back single.
i wish it was on the album ..-___- f*ckin phil spector!...and did it chart well?

Charted #1 in: UK, US, Australia, Germany, Norway. That probably had to do with it being their last official release.
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2012, 09:51:50 PM »

I don't know, I can't hate Maxwell's Silver Hammers (though I can't stand When I'm 64).

Go figure.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2012, 09:53:42 PM »

What Goes On

I can get through Doctor Robert because of the guitars and vocals. It's not great, but kind of disappointing on an album like Revolver. Honey Pie, it depends on my mood, but I usually won't listen to it. I do like your points, but they only add so much, really.
the song that makes me wonder why it was on the amazing revolver is "yellow submarine"  Huh
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2012, 09:55:48 PM »

Because they had moved on to Abbey Road and pretty well knew it was going to be their last album, so they went all out (except maybe Maxwell's Silver Hammer LOL). Like I said, they gave the Get Back tapes another try in December to at least get the album out with the movie. I don't know who turned them over to Phil Spector (I'm guessing the label and not the Beatles themselves), but he got them. Let It Be hit #1 in the UK.
phil spector f***ed up let it be :[...at least for taking off don't let me down!
peerke
Smiley Smile Associate

Pom-pi-dom-pi-dom

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2012, 12:31:18 AM »

I'm amazed 'Dig It' is mentioned only once on these pages.
Perhaps most people agree it's  not even worth to be called a song: it's a jam and it shows.

That's one of the reasons I prefer Let It Be ... Naked. Any album of the Get Back sessions  that omits 'Dig It' and 'Maggie Mae' to give space to 'Don't Let Me Down' gets my vote.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2012, 01:03:29 AM »

Perhaps most people agree it's  not even worth to be called a song: it's a jam and it shows.

That's one of the reasons I prefer Let It Be ... Naked. Any album of the Get Back sessions  that omits 'Dig It' and 'Maggie Mae' to give space to 'Don't Let Me Down' gets my vote.

I totally agree with you Smiley ...phil spector was out of line for getting rid of dont let me down
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2012, 02:51:46 AM »

Phil was the reason Let it Be came out, he had to piece together hours of song fragments just to have a bare song to overdub.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2012, 03:23:02 AM »

Phil was the reason Let it Be came out, he had to piece together hours of song fragments just to have a bare song to overdub.
phil is the reason why "dont let me down" didn't make the cut and why the "long and winding road"  differs from it's original format :/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:29:22 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2012, 03:36:54 AM »

phil is the reason why "dont let me down" didn't make the cut and why the "long and winding road"  differs from it's original format :/
Well I like the Spector sound just fine...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2012, 03:40:50 AM »

Well I like the Spector sound just fine...
Mee too Smiley..He's an evil genius..
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2012, 04:49:47 AM »

Dig It has sentimental value because I can be hanging around with my mate and one of us goes 'Hey ....like a rolling stone' and then we end up just saying it all to each other. Because we're dorks  LOL

I am going on some kind of caffeinebased memory here, but I'da sworn that giving the Get Back tapes to Spector was either John or Georges idea? After all, they were working with Spector at the time.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
peerke
Smiley Smile Associate

Pom-pi-dom-pi-dom

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2012, 04:51:38 AM »

Blame Allen Klein!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2012, 06:19:48 AM »

No he didn't.  Spector worked from the same cache of tapes that Glyn Johns did in preparing his mixes, the only difference is for some reason Glyn Johns decided to all but ignore both the rooftop concert and the Apple Studio Performance in preparing his mixes while Spector used these performances as the backbone of his mix.  Then came the overdubs...

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2012, 06:23:53 AM »

Your Mother Should Know.
One of my favourite Beatles tracks!  Rock!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2012, 06:29:53 AM »

No he didn't.  Spector worked from the same cache of tapes that Glyn Johns did in preparing his mixes, the only difference is for some reason Glyn Johns decided to all but ignore both the rooftop concert and the Apple Studio Performance in preparing his mixes while Spector used these performances as the backbone of his mix.  Then came the overdubs...
The tearing down the wall of sound book by Mick Brown said Spector had to spend hours going through the tapes of the Beatles jamming and rehearsing to piece together songs to overdub.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:40:22 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2012, 06:45:48 AM »

No he didn't.  Spector worked from the same cache of tapes that Glyn Johns did in preparing his mixes, the only difference is for some reason Glyn Johns decided to all but ignore both the rooftop concert and the Apple Studio Performance in preparing his mixes while Spector used these performances as the backbone of his mix.  Then came the overdubs...
The tearing down the wall of sound book by Mick Brown said Spector had to spend hours going through the tapes of the Beatles jamming and rehearsing to piece together songs to overdub.

Another case of someone writing about The Beatles without doing their proper research I'm afraid.  Honestly out of all the books that have been written about The Beatles in the past forty years there are still probably only a very small handful (say between 10-20 books) that actually know the subject matter which they deal with.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:24:11 AM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx