gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680847 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 03:41:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worst Beatles Songs :/  (Read 39734 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2014, 09:34:33 PM »

What's everybody think about Your Mother Should Know?  I really like it, it's schmoozy and your typical Paul thing, but it's juuuussssttt enough that it's really good.  Kind of like Uncle Albert, it's very Paulish and you roll your eyes, but it's pretty damn good because he doesn't go overboard. 

I love it.....

It could have been such a schmoozy little throwaway thing if it weren't for the arrangement which gets almost creepy at the second "Let's all get up and dance to a song" part...
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 07, 2014, 09:36:09 PM »

What's everybody think about Your Mother Should Know?  I really like it, it's schmoozy and your typical Paul thing, but it's juuuussssttt enough that it's really good.  Kind of like Uncle Albert, it's very Paulish and you roll your eyes, but it's pretty damn good because he doesn't go overboard.  

Not a fan at all to be honest - I think it's the vocals! They just REALLY annoy me!

As for other Beatles songs I'm not a fan there are a few and I'm sure I've forgotten some but I really can't stand:

"You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)"
"Revolution 9"
"Wild Honey Pie"
"Maxwell's Silver Hammer"
"Why Don't We Do It in the Road?"
"Mean Mr. Mustard"
"Polythene Pam"

There are also several songs that I'm not really a fan of but I think there is usually at least SOMETHING I can enjoy in most Beatles songs - very similar to the Beach Boys in that respect.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 07, 2014, 09:38:39 PM »

What's everybody think about Your Mother Should Know?  I really like it, it's schmoozy and your typical Paul thing, but it's juuuussssttt enough that it's really good.  Kind of like Uncle Albert, it's very Paulish and you roll your eyes, but it's pretty damn good because he doesn't go overboard.  

Not a fan at all to be honest - I think it's the vocals! They just REALLY annoy me!

As for other Beatles songs I'm not a fan there are a few and I'm sure I've forgotten some but I really can't stand:

"Revolution 9"
"Wild Honey Pie"
"Mean Mr. Mustard"
"Polythene Pam"

There are also several songs that I'm not really a fan of but I think there is usually at least SOMETHING I can enjoy in most Beatles songs - very similar to the Beach Boys in that respect.

That's a good list. All pretty crappy songs that would have been laughed out of the park if not by the sacred Beatles....

Mean Mr. Mustard/Polythene Pam at least kick pretty hard thanks to Ringo (who, of course, gets little thanks for his efforts)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 07, 2014, 09:56:14 PM »

"Revolution 9"
"Wild Honey Pie"
"Mean Mr. Mustard"
"Polythene Pam"

That's a good list. All pretty crappy songs that would have been laughed out of the park if not by the sacred Beatles....

Mean Mr. Mustard/Polythene Pam at least kick pretty hard thanks to Ringo (who, of course, gets little thanks for his efforts)

They do all those crappy songs with more style than any other band could manage. I love all of them.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 07, 2014, 10:03:09 PM »

"Revolution 9"
"Wild Honey Pie"
"Mean Mr. Mustard"
"Polythene Pam"

They do all those crappy songs with more style than any other band could manage. I love all of them.

Hey, just because I think they're crappy doesn't mean I still don't love them!!!

I'm the guy who's all-time favorite Beach Boys track is Getcha Back, after all!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #205 on: February 07, 2014, 10:05:12 PM »

"Revolution 9"
"Wild Honey Pie"
"Mean Mr. Mustard"
"Polythene Pam"

Hey, just because I think they're crappy doesn't mean I still don't love them!!!

Love Getcha Back as well!
Aside from Mike's nasal vocals, how can anyone consider that song to be crappy?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 07, 2014, 10:07:20 PM »

"Revolution 9"
"Wild Honey Pie"
"Mean Mr. Mustard"
"Polythene Pam"

Love Getcha Back as well!
Aside from Mike's nasal vocals, how can anyone consider that song to be crappy?

No idea, but I think, by and large, folks have started to come around Smiley
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 07, 2014, 11:43:14 PM »

I'm sure Beatles has worse songs, but I pretty much hate these:

No Reply
All You Need Is Love
P.S. I Love You
Ob-la-di Ob-la-da

Overrated cheesy crap. Every Beach Boys' hit song is better than these, especially Kokomo.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2014, 12:20:33 AM »

One of the few Beatles songs I dislike:

Blue Jay Way.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #209 on: February 08, 2014, 12:31:29 AM »

One of the few Beatles songs I dislike:

Blue Jay Way.

I love Blue Jay Way!
I love everything from Magical Mystery Tour, my favourite Beatles record!

Though I honestly dislike the White Album, except for a few songs off it.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #210 on: February 08, 2014, 01:17:24 AM »

Love the Beatles, however... I really can't stand It's All Too Much. Hate everything about it.

I like pretty much everything Lennon and McCartney did with the Beatles, but with George it's more hit and miss. Some of his stuff is great, some of it... meh.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #211 on: February 08, 2014, 01:52:38 AM »

Love the Beatles, however... I really can't stand It's All Too Much. Hate everything about it.

I like pretty much everything Lennon and McCartney did with the Beatles, but with George it's more hit and miss. Some of his stuff is great, some of it... meh.

George has made better songs, but I don't mind It's All Too Much. Only A Northern Song is an infinitely superior song, however.
In fact, if it weren't for half of the album by George Martin, and already released songs Yellow Sumbarine and All You Need Is Love being added, I would consider Yellow Submarine to be one of the better Beatles albums!

I like George's songwriting. In fact he's my favourite Beatle. Aside from a few terrible and forgettable solo albums, I disagree with how you consider George to be a hit and miss.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 09, 2014, 05:16:59 AM »

My take:

A Hard Day's Night is great fun full of witty humor... but the editing/pacing is definitely slow by today's standards.

Help! is fun. Has it's moments. But on the whole I thought it was less artful/witty than it's predecessor.

Magical Mystery Tour is strange, witty, exciting, at times boring - Flying, I am looking at you, and full of interesting little bits and characters.

Yellow Submarine is a classic. Perfect - perfect - perfect.

Let It Be (I have seen it) is dreary. Very hard to sit through if you aren't a beatle freak like I was.
Pretty much agree with everything you said, only I don't care about various technical specifics like editing & so on. The "Flying" scene was rather cool, I thought. The real drag was going to appear near the end, when that stupid song about cutie came on. Luckily, "Your Mother Should Know" makes me forget that that scene even existed, it's such a beautiful number both in terms of singing (1 of the best vocals by Paul ever!) & decorations! Amazing song.

"Yellow Submarine" is great! Who are your favorite hero(es)? Mine are Blue Meanies & Jeremy (my fave name of that creature).

Re George's material within the Beatles, I'm not a fan of "Something", "Don't Bother Me", "Long, Long, Long", "I Need You" & "Only a Northern Song". My absolute fave are "Here Comes the Sun", "Piggies", "Within You Without You", "Blue Jay Way" & "Old Brown Shoe" - loved them since 1st discovering the band.

As to "Wild Honey Pie", methinks a little dash of quirkiness won't be too bad for ears. (Or eyes, if we talk about psychedelic films.)

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 09, 2014, 07:52:37 AM »

Always liked "Don't Bother Me"!

Worst Beatles tunes, IMO

1. Do You Want to Know a Secret? 
 2. A Taste of Honey
 3. Mr Moonlight
 4. What Goes On?
 5. You Like Me too Much
 6. It's Only Love
 7. Tell Me What You See
 8. Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite
 9. Good Morning Good Morning
 10.Hello Goodbye
 11.Within You Without You
 12. Revolution 9
 13.Wild Honey Pie
 14.Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da
 15. Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 16, 2014, 08:47:20 AM »

Mean Mr. Mustard has to get respect in my opinion just because of that Melody!  It's great.  It's pretty agressive too, I like it, always have.

I can't imagine somebody not liking "No Reply", I think I've had that one stuck in my head for 20 years.

Something is pretty overdone (just because everybody else has recorded it) but when I listen to it, I listen to passive-agressive Paul McCartney trying his best to steal the song with the bassline.  What was up with that?

He's either 1. Truly trying to make it the best song he can, or

2. Trying to upstage George, who wrote the song. 

I'm leaning towards #2 knowing Paul's state of mind at the time.  I can respect it though... I can just see him doing that, even if it was subconscious. 

In my opinion, possibly Paul's greatest Beatles bassline, up there with "Paperback Writer" and "Rain". 
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 16, 2014, 09:11:34 AM »

Revolution 9 is the absolute WORST thing they ever attempted.   Wild Honey Pie and Within You Without You are a close second and third.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 16, 2014, 02:47:59 PM »

Beatles For Sale ...just imagine it with "Eight Days a Week"* and "Matchbox" while losing "Mr Moonlight" and maybe another of the covers. I seldom play this game with The Beatles, but great album. I've always liked it, but the band did make better records.

* Think I meant "I Feel Fine"/"She's a Woman", the new non-LP single in Dec 1964. "Eight Days" is on the album.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:53:52 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 16, 2014, 05:42:14 PM »

Savoy Truffle
Piggies
Don't Pass Me By
Good Night
I Want to Hold Your Hand

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 16, 2014, 06:45:57 PM »

Savoy Truffle
Piggies
Don't Pass Me By
Good Night
I Want to Hold Your Hand

Good Night is a masterpiece.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 16, 2014, 10:46:11 PM »

George didn't write No Reply.  John did.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 16, 2014, 11:31:25 PM »

Just listened to "What's the New Mary Jane" for the first time in a while. I'm amazed that John was so very adamant about getting this song released. It's kinda not that great.

Edit: Hmm, maybe I need to be high...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:32:28 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 17, 2014, 12:23:33 AM »

George didn't write No Reply.  John did.

I think Ron was referring to "Something"

Also, I just thought of another song I'm not a fan of - "I'll Get You". It's actually not THAT bad but I hate the "oh yeah, oh yeah" parts enough to make me not want to hear it.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 17, 2014, 04:11:31 AM »

Mean Mr. Mustard has to get respect in my opinion just because of that Melody!  It's great.  It's pretty agressive too, I like it, always have.

I can't imagine somebody not liking "No Reply", I think I've had that one stuck in my head for 20 years.

Something is pretty overdone (just because everybody else has recorded it) but when I listen to it, I listen to passive-agressive Paul McCartney trying his best to steal the song with the bassline.  What was up with that?

He's either 1. Truly trying to make it the best song he can, or

I'm leaning towards #2 knowing Paul's state of mind at the time.  I can respect it though... I can just see him doing that, even if it was subconscious. 

In my opinion, possibly Paul's greatest Beatles bassline, up there with "Paperback Writer" and "Rain". 

Never considered that he was trying to upstage George. I'm inclined to disagree, just cuz of how much the bassline improves the song for me. If I could have written any bassline, I would written the one to Something. If you play bass and have worked your way around the fretboard on Something, you will understand what I mean when I say the note choices are just brilliant. And even if you don't, just listen to it! Crazy good.

RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 17, 2014, 06:35:45 AM »

Revolution 9 is the absolute WORST thing they ever attempted.   
Wow, I haven't yet heard the whole White album but that song was BAD! Why in the hell did they release stuff like that. It's a shame because that album has the same time a lot of great material.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 17, 2014, 08:33:40 AM »

I can't understand how anybody can hate Revolution 9.  Maybe find it unsettling (it's supposed to be unsettling) but I've always found it pretty awesome.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx