gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 07:13:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worst Beatles Songs :/  (Read 39740 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 03, 2012, 03:01:50 PM »

Blasphemy.  You don't find even the harmony to be great?  It's some of the best they ever did! 

Why am I arguing with somebody who obviously doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground?
GreatUrduPoet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2012, 07:29:37 AM »

Blasphemy.  You don't find even the harmony to be great?  It's some of the best they ever did! 

Why am I arguing with somebody who obviously doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground?

They've done much better. On EDAW it's almost bubblegum.
GreatUrduPoet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2012, 07:30:30 AM »

All I saw was he started his post with "Nothing special about these songs: Eight Days a Week" and I didn't even read the rest of them. 

How in the hell can you not see anyting special in Eight Days a Week?

Here, I'll mention just 1.  The song fades in.  How many songs do that? 

So, what that means is: the song is special before it even BEGINS.  It's like they're in another room somewhere being cool, and you just get to walk in on it or something.  There, that covers the first 5 seconds of the song, i'm sure somebody else can cover the rest of it Smiley

Unfortunately, that's the ONLY thing special about 'Eight Days A Week'.
When you get past the fade-in it's just a lazy blues shuffle with oddly
uninspired and formulaic lyrics for the Lennon/McCartney team. The
whole thing just plods along, waiting for those hand claps. The Rolling
Stones brazenly appropriated the hook for 'I'm Free' from this Beatles
hit...but at least they added a tasty guitar solo and quirky falsetto
backing vocals to off-set the sad mediocrity that is 'Eight Days A Week'.

It isn't a blues shuffle. Though it does have bluesy phrasing. That's like calling Wake Up Little Susie blues.

It is if you're the bass player...
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2012, 08:23:17 AM »

I don't know why you brought up Wake up little Susie but it's a great comparison. Both immensely catchy and well produced, the difference being that in terms of melodies and hooks there's more of them in Eight days a week. Even when Beatles were just writing cynical hit songs they added so much to the songs that they were in a league of their own IMO.

Not saying one of the songs is better than the other btw.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2012, 08:25:34 AM »

And that is a bad thing?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2012, 08:27:11 AM »

All I saw was he started his post with "Nothing special about these songs: Eight Days a Week" and I didn't even read the rest of them. 

How in the hell can you not see anyting special in Eight Days a Week?

Here, I'll mention just 1.  The song fades in.  How many songs do that? 

So, what that means is: the song is special before it even BEGINS.  It's like they're in another room somewhere being cool, and you just get to walk in on it or something.  There, that covers the first 5 seconds of the song, i'm sure somebody else can cover the rest of it Smiley

Unfortunately, that's the ONLY thing special about 'Eight Days A Week'.
When you get past the fade-in it's just a lazy blues shuffle with oddly
uninspired and formulaic lyrics for the Lennon/McCartney team. The
whole thing just plods along, waiting for those hand claps. The Rolling
Stones brazenly appropriated the hook for 'I'm Free' from this Beatles
hit...but at least they added a tasty guitar solo and quirky falsetto
backing vocals to off-set the sad mediocrity that is 'Eight Days A Week'.

It isn't a blues shuffle. Though it does have bluesy phrasing. That's like calling Wake Up Little Susie blues.

It is if you're the bass player...

Paul had a tendency to rely on stock walking basslines at times.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
GreatUrduPoet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2012, 08:59:23 AM »

And that is a bad thing?

It was to me in 1965. EDAW was the first Beatles single my little sister (four years younger) bought.
This fact actually led to my changing my allegiance to The Rolling Stones (and The Yardbirds) and
getting off the Beatle reservation for awhile.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2012, 09:22:06 AM »

That's a shame. What gets classified as "bubblegum pop" was ultimately some of the best music from the 60s. It's kind of cool how there is a bit of a revival going on for that sort of stuff right now (see The Explorers Club, for instance).
MBE
« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2012, 09:27:51 AM »

Eight Days A Week sounds a little like a Beach Boys song on Anthology as does Got To Get You Into My Life. It's so strange to see people here who don't like sixties music.
GreatUrduPoet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 04, 2012, 11:16:34 AM »

Eight Days A Week sounds a little like a Beach Boys song on Anthology as does Got To Get You Into My Life. It's so strange to see people here who don't like sixties music.

I'd like to hear a 1965 cover of EDAW by The Beach Boys with a Steve Douglas sax solo...that would really be something.
Who here doesn't like sixties music, or bubblegum for that matter? I'll bet that I have more Cowsills records than you.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 09:25:55 AM by GreatUrduPoet » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 04, 2012, 03:27:11 PM »

List of crappy Beatles song off the top of my head (66-onwards)

Michelle

I think McCartney said something to this effect once but I'll reiterate that it took real balls to write a song inspired by French chanson-style at the height of the British Invasion. It's an interesting foray into another cultural style but it means nothing if one isn't aware of that style.

I dunno, it's lyrics are the weak part of it, the lacking french and superficial lyrics, the chords and arrangement are good!

Run for Your Life

Yeah, this is average and it's average-ness is made worse because it is given last track authority. Compared to Tomorrow Never Knows, Day in the Life and The End, this doesn't measure up.

Dr Robert

I love Dr. Robert. Great counter-culture song with John's vocals at their draggy best.

Yellow Submarine (fun for kids i guess)

I don't understand the criticism this song gets. To me it fits in rather nicely with the Revolver aesthetic - lots of interesting experimentation, big poppy chorus, etc. There's a reason why it was another #1 hit single for The Beatles.

It's just silly, but that would be fine if everyone recognised it as one (which it was intended to be) but some ppl adore it beyond reasoning, its just a kiddie tune and vocals of ringo are ringo so not great outset + lennon considered it a throwaway
Sgt Pepper:
everything Paul McCartney wrote apart from title track&reprise (lots of random filler and granny tunes, not good)
Good Morning Good Morning (weak lennon song)
How can Sgt Pepper have so much praise with so many random Mccartney songs is beyond me, dandy cover I guess..

I think Getting Better is one of the best things McCartney ever did, personally. And I love how when McCartney does "When I'm 64", it's a granny tune but when Dylan did John Wesley Harding or when The Band did their self-titled album, it was roots music. When I'm 64 (and other Macca songs like it) explored English roots in a way that very few other British artists were doing (aside, particularly, from Ray Davies). McCartney shouldn't be criticitized because he decided to stop appropriating other cultural roots music (American blues) for a while in order to explore his own roots.

getting better is a song about nothing really, 64 is embarrasing, i think its fine that people return to their roots, but this is not what the Beatles were about so it doesnt really fit in. I guess it's because its on nr 1 over-rated album of all time(do i get banned ?)!
Baby you're A rich Man

What?Huh This is one of the finest pieces of psychedelia from the 60s.
another song about nothing, the bass line is good, the chorus is mediocre at best. I believe i was thinking of 'Your Mother Should Know' - blææææ! disgusting track

littered with filler and trash, but one that is very popular is Obladi Oblada, worst song of their career. wtf McCartney.

A good Caribbean-inspired number. What's the problem with it?
everything, the daft lyrics in particular

Mean mr mustard
polythene pam
bedroom window
golden slumbers

To me those songs are part of a suite that may very well be the best thing The Beatles ever did. To take out the individual parts and criticize them is more than unfair, as far as I'm concerned.
enough sugar in that mix to sink the American Navy + songs about nothing

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 04, 2012, 06:15:24 PM »

That's a shame. What gets classified as "bubblegum pop" was ultimately some of the best music from the 60s. It's kind of cool how there is a bit of a revival going on for that sort of stuff right now (see The Explorers Club, for instance).

Agreed - 60's bubblegum is the best, like 90% of girl group songs, one hit wonders, and all these little weird pop songs on Nuggets comps and things. 60's trashy pop is the best pop.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #162 on: May 05, 2012, 03:11:54 PM »

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:21:01 PM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #163 on: May 05, 2012, 03:20:18 PM »

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:21:29 PM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #164 on: May 05, 2012, 03:57:07 PM »

You can guess, but you'll never know.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 05, 2012, 05:44:53 PM »

LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #166 on: January 31, 2014, 09:14:12 PM »

Revolution 9 hands down!  Bow

I haven't listened to that song in years, because I can't!

Why?
Because I've only listened to that song around 3 times, and each time I did listen to it, something really bad happened to me shortly after.

It's cursed. CURSED I TELL YOU!!!  Old Man Angry LOL

The Runner-Ups are: Wild Honey Pie, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Michelle (dodges bricks), What Goes On and Yellow Submarine (dodges bricks again).
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 31, 2014, 09:41:52 PM »

Got To Get You Into my Life, are Doctor Robert are both pretty awful, stiff-ass, sexless pieces of garbage that pale in comparison to even the worst Kinks, or Who, or Beach Boys tracks....
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 31, 2014, 10:09:54 PM »

Got To Get You Into my Life

In my eyes, you couldn't be more wrong about this one. I love it.

I don't think they ever really made a bad song. I mean there a few I don't like, but none I would call technically bad. "Revolution 9," however, is hot, pretentious garbage.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:47:57 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #169 on: January 31, 2014, 10:38:36 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:27:03 PM by zatch » Logged
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: January 31, 2014, 10:43:15 PM »

Love Me Do
Do You Want To Know A Secret
I'll Cry Instead
When I Get Home
Mr. Moonlight
Yes It Is
Run For Your Life
Bungalow Bill
Piggies
Dig A Pony
Maggie Mae

all their other stuff (not including Anthology nonsense) is pretty good.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:46:40 PM by Blue2013 » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #171 on: January 31, 2014, 10:49:20 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:26:59 PM by zatch » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 31, 2014, 10:50:26 PM »

Got To Get You Into my Life, are Doctor Robert are both pretty awful, stiff-ass, sexless pieces of garbage that pale in comparison to even the worst Kinks, or Who, or Beach Boys tracks....

Yes, I find Dr. Robert very annoying. GTGYIML on the other hand, is one of their best.

I dig the horns a lot, but otherwise, I can't stand it.... Well, I mean I can't really say that I can't stand ANY Beatles song, but if I wanted to nit pick....
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: January 31, 2014, 11:02:54 PM »

Love Me Do
Do You Want To Know A Secret
When I Get Home
Mr. Moonlight
Yes It Is
Run For Your Life
Bungalow Bill
Piggies
Dig A Pony
Maggie Mae

all their other stuff (not including Anthology nonsense) is pretty good.

Disagree with most of these. Only agree with Love Me Do and Maggie Mae. Run For Your Life, Mr. Moonlight and Dig A Pony are actually favourites of mine. The rest are just OK, but not terrible.

Which Beatles songs are your least favourite?
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 31, 2014, 11:28:54 PM »

Yes It Is

Wow, man, I think that is one of the most passionate lead vocals Lennon ever did. A true soaring statement of pride and an excellent predecessor to the ferocious I Want You (She's So Heavy).

Most of their material that I dislike is situated in the first Beatles "era" - filler such as Thank You Girl, Ask Me Why, A Taste of Honey, Mr. Moonlight, When I Get Home, Tell Me What You See, You Like Me Too Much and What Goes On.

As opposed to many fans, I dig George's Indian stuff and lately, 'Revolution 9' started to make more sense to me, especially in the context of its album. It is an interesting and curious chapter in the Beatles' history.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx