gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681005 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 07:20:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis and Carl on new album?  (Read 6335 times)
Denny's Drums
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2012, 10:43:37 AM »

Does anyone know of the possibility of Dennis and Carl being present on the new album? Are there any unfinished works in the vaults of their vocals that perhaps could be added to the new material? What would you think of that idea? It worked for the Beatles with FAAB and Real Love, maybe our boys can do the same.  Cool
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 10:47:59 AM »

Check out the "new album"-thread. There's an interview posted today in which Al mentions that Carl's vcals from the song "Waves of love" from the aborted '95 album will be used

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Denny's Drums
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 10:50:45 AM »

Check out the "new album"-thread. There's an interview posted today in which Al mentions that Carl's vcals from the song "Waves of love" from the aborted '95 album will be used

Sounds great Rocker, thanks, anything with Carl's angelic voice on the new album would be a worthy addition.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 10:55:12 AM »

I think if Do It Again is on the album then Dennis is already on it...since they sampled the '68 drum track.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 11:02:36 AM »

So there's no chance of getting a 'new' (unreleased but worked on) track with Denny's vocals? His only musical presence on the reunion album will be the drum track on "Do It Again"?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 11:14:36 AM »

So there's no chance of getting a 'new' (unreleased but worked on) track with Denny's vocals? His only musical presence on the reunion album will be the drum track on "Do It Again"?

I don't know about no chance. But the group seems to want to work on relatively recent (or recently recorded) material -- Waves of Love is from 95 or so. And going back to the 70s for Denny tracks just seems odd, somehow. They didn't do it for BB85, or Still Crusin, or SIP (admittedly, they did recut Forever on there).

Carl left lots of recent, digitally recorded vocals that could be used if they needed him on the album. The three unreleased 95 BW tracks -- Dancin' the Night Away, Soul Searchin, You're Still a Mystery -- and some Al tunes (Waves, Don't Fight the Sea). For that matter, Carl wrote several tracks for the Beckley Lamm Wilson album that seem to date from the same time.

But how does that work for Dennis? Most of his unused vocals are on songs he wrote that are unreleased. And I don't know how they would fit or flow on a BW-Joe Thomas written, largely AC-sounding record (which is my guess for what this will sound like by the end). Frankly, they might be worried he would overshadow them.

Finally, Dennis has been gone for more than nearly 30 years. At this point, I think the respectful thing to do for him -- and his work -- is to present it on archival releases. The less present-day mucking about, the better. (My preference would be to not have Carl vocals on the album either -- just present the group as it is today.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:33:12 AM by Wirestone » Logged
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 11:26:15 AM »

I think it's only right to have some Dennis and Carl input on this new album. They need to see it out to the end. I don't think going over the top with vocals etc would be a good idea, but they need to be on the last BB album in my opinion.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 11:26:39 AM »

"WoL" was 'recorded' May/June 1994, according to my site.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 11:27:07 AM »

My preference would be to not have Carl vocals on the album either -- just present the group as it is today.
Yeah, I guess you're right...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 11:28:10 AM »

Finally, Dennis has been gone for more than 30 years.

You mean... he died back in late 1981 ?  Dammit, I need to rewrite my timeline. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:29:09 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 11:31:46 AM »

My preference would be to not have Carl vocals on the album either -- just present the group as it is today.
Yeah, I guess you're right...

I don't know that for a fact, actually.  Tongue But I don't really trust the rest of the group to do Dennis or Carl's work justice at this late stage. And if it's going to mainly be "new" material anyway, old tracks could seem really random and shoe-horned in.

I mean, if they wanted to be super-ambitious and put together a double album, and use a lot of unfinished archival stuff, and bring in the 70s touring band and Blondie and Ricky, and have the Honeys and Danny Hutton guesting -- that would be cool. I think Dennis and Carl tracks would be essential for something like that. Have Van Dyke and Tony Asher co-writes! Use some of the Wilson project material! But all of that, as amazing and cool as it would be, doesn't seem likely to happen.

It kind of looks like they're trying to make a 2012 version of BB85 instead. And if that's the case, I'd rather them keep it clean and recent.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 11:32:38 AM »

You mean... he died back in late 1981 ?  Dammit, I need to rewrite my timeline. Roll Eyes

Dur. (Slaps self in side of head.) Yes, 1983. I know that. Rather, knew that.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 11:47:13 AM »

You mean... he died back in late 1981 ?  
Well...yeah, according to Barbara Wilson that's about right.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 04:26:20 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if they did use a Dennis song in some way considering the high esteem Brian holds his work in.

And, we can't forget their penchant for using old songs to fill out albums, the most notorious (other than Still Cruisin') being "Good Time" randomly thrown into Love You. As well as "When Girls Get Together" on Keepin' The Summer Alive.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 04:33:39 PM »

I very much hope they DON'T re-do one of Dennis's old unreleased songs. Whatever song it would or could be, i want to hear the original, thanks.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 05:47:04 PM »

I very much hope they DON'T re-do one of Dennis's old unreleased songs. Whatever song it would or could be, i want to hear the original, thanks.

Agreed. Does anybody really want to hear a bunch of almost-70-year-olds singing along with their brother who passed away almost 30 years ago?

A song similar Lay Down Burden would be a much more fitting tribute than old man karaoke.

No mas, por favor.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 08:00:07 PM »

Agreed. Does anybody really want to hear a bunch of almost-70-year-olds singing along with their brother who passed away almost 30 years ago?

A song similar Lay Down Burden would be a much more fitting tribute than old man karaoke.
"Old man karaoke", that is so disrespectful, I'm speechless. Sad

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 11:16:02 PM »

"Old man karaoke", that is so disrespectful, I'm speechless. Sad

THAT"S WHAT IT IS IF THEYRE JUST GOING TO RERECORD/SING OVER/WHATEVER THEYRE PLANNING ON DOING WITH THAT SONG APPARENTLY OF CARLS VOCALS.

It's the future now. No need to work out things that couldn't be worked out and the people working on is dead back then now.

No mas, por favor.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 12:34:28 AM »

No, I have absolutely no interest in hearing a bunch of 70 year olds sing ANYTHING! They should've quit long ago.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 01:29:29 AM »

Have you no sentiment? It's not just 70 year olds, IT'S THE BEACH  BOYS!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 05:19:59 AM »

Have you no sentiment? It's not just 70 year olds, IT'S THE BEACH  BOYS!

Don't worry. Sounded troll-like to me.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 05:49:56 AM »

It's the future now. No need to work out things that couldn't be worked out and the people working on is dead back then now.

Whew!  I...what?
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 10:21:08 AM »

My personal opinion is that the best tribute to Dennis and Carl would be to use their songs, but not their voices or production talent.  Pick one Dennis song and one Carl song that was never finished, perhaps "I've Got a Friend" for Dennis; I don't know Carl's catalogue very well - and then record from scratch a cover of the song with the living beach boys singing.  They could even take a song that never had words written and write new words, as long as they rerecorded the backing track from scratch.  That way the fans get a new Dennis/Carl song which they never could have heard in completed form otherwise, the record doesn't suffer from continuity issues, and Dennis and Carl get a fitting tribute to their incredible talents and a voice on the Beach Boys last album, not literally, but in the songwriting, which is where it really counts anyway. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »

Carl was more of a singer and musician than a composer. I'd much rather hear him sing and play. Besides, except for Angel Come Home, he pretty much sang lead on his own compositions.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 01:54:21 PM »

My personal opinion is that the best tribute to Dennis and Carl would be to use their songs, but not their voices or production talent.  Pick one Dennis song and one Carl song that was never finished, perhaps "I've Got a Friend" for Dennis; I don't know Carl's catalogue very well - and then record from scratch a cover of the song with the living beach boys singing.  They could even take a song that never had words written and write new words, as long as they rerecorded the backing track from scratch.  That way the fans get a new Dennis/Carl song which they never could have heard in completed form otherwise, the record doesn't suffer from continuity issues, and Dennis and Carl get a fitting tribute to their incredible talents and a voice on the Beach Boys last album, not literally, but in the songwriting, which is where it really counts anyway. 

At least in Dennis' case, I think this is an outstanding idea.  I'm dubious it would really happen, but great thought.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx