gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:44:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hi - I'm new to the board.  (Read 8354 times)
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2012, 08:11:34 PM »

Hi everyone.  I have been a Beach Boys fan for a long time.  My favorite song when I was a high school freshman in 1988 was Don't Worry Baby.  I was a pretty casual fan then, having only the Made in the U.S.A. compilation (on cassette)  Cheesy until picking up the CD version in the early 90s.  Anyway, even as a casual fan, I knew there was so much more to the group than 'beach music', and I would usually skip right past 409, Surfin' Safari, etc.  However, I also recall that I didn't "get" Heroes and Villains or Caroline, No either, and I'd skip those as well.   About 8 years ago I picked up a copy of Pet Sounds when I was in Hawaii on vacation and needed some CDs for when we were in the car.  I picked Pet Sounds because I remember hearing that it was well regarded.  I knew I liked God Only Knows and Wouldn't It Be Nice, but at the time I just didn't get the rest of the album - yeah.  I even saw Brian Wilson in concert (opening for Paul Simon) a few years ago, but didn't appreciate how good his music was.  The Beach Boys' Christmas Album was always one of my favorite Christmas albums.

Anyway, within the last year, I put in Pet Sounds again and started to realize just how brilliant it was.  I would just listen to it over and over.  I started poking around on Wikipedia reading about how the album came to be and discovered that Good Vibrations's Genesis was during the Pet Sounds sessions and intended for the next album.  After finding a great alternate mix of Good Vibrations on youtube, I learned about SMiLE, and was intrigued.  I bought the GV 40th Anniversary EP CD, and I found some bootlegs mixes of SMiLE online, settling on Purple Chick's excellent compilation/mix.  About that time, news of The SMiLE Sessions release broke, and I was anxious for its release.  I ordered the 5-CD set and the DVD and CD of BWPS.  Needless to say, I was hooked.  I picked up Today/Summer Days and was blown away by the "side two" of both albums.  I've been adding to my collection ever since - one album at a time - so I now have Little Deuce Coupe/All Summer Long, The Beach Boys' Christmas Album, The Beach Boys Today!/Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!), Pet Sounds, The SMiLE Sessions, GH1, GH2, and Made in the U.S.A, along with BWPS, Imagination, and Live at the Roxy from Brian's solo catalog.  It's exciting because I am still in the mode where I can "discover" some really great songs from a classic band.  (I went through similar phases with Boston, Tori Amos, Bruce Springsteen, and ABBA, all of whom are among my favorite musicians.)

Anyway, I am excited to find a board that seems to be pretty drama free and like to discuss some great music.  I've lurked here since I got my SMiLE Sessions set and finally got around to registering/posting.  I am hoping to be able to see the Red Rocks concert here in Denver in July!  Anyway, I look forward to posting here.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:14:14 PM by Eireannach » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 08:18:49 PM »

Welcome to the board! If I may suggest some CDs to pick up, I would try the Sunflower/Surf's Up 2-fer and either In Concert or Carl and the Passions "So Tough"/Holland 2-fer. The second great era of The Beach Boys awaits you.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 08:19:59 PM »

Nice.  I have all of them in my Amazon shopping cart, but I am going slow so I can appreciate each album fully.
feelflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:59:19 PM »

I'm way too new myself to be able to welcome you without sounding like I'm putting on airs (one week seniority!), but can I just say how jealous I am that you get to see them at Red Rocks?  I flew out there for a Stevie Nicks show last August and was completely blown away by that venue.  If I lived in Denver, I'd see a lot more shows!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 12:52:20 AM »

Welcome! And happy shopping!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 07:44:33 AM »

Welcome! And happy shopping!

Thanks!

I'm way too new myself to be able to welcome you without sounding like I'm putting on airs (one week seniority!), but can I just say how jealous I am that you get to see them at Red Rocks?  I flew out there for a Stevie Nicks show last August and was completely blown away by that venue.  If I lived in Denver, I'd see a lot more shows!

Thanks for the welcome.  We are really spoiled in Denver having Red Rocks.  The only drawback is that it can't hold more people - ~9450 tops.  That makes it hard for big draws who only play a single show.  It's worth the heartburn trying to get tickets just to go there though.  I can't wait.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 07:49:58 AM »

Welcome!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 08:10:33 AM »

Welcome!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 08:13:13 AM »

Welcome!

My story is similar to yours....I was a casual fan since I was 7 years old, then after college I really got into them after listening to Pet Sounds. I picked a great time to start being a fan!

Definitely check out Friends sometime!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Liamo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 08:30:20 AM »

Welcome aboard. Fairly new here myself. Like alot of people got into the beach boys through a hits comp (20 Golden Greats) without knowing much about the band, who sang which song or whatever. Then picked up Pet Sounds on cassette from a bargain bin from Our Price. Listened to it and it didn't make much of an impression until I put it on a couple of months later and it blew me away. Its still my favourite album twenty years later. Around that time the twofers came out on cd and i dived right in. It's been the best experience I've had of discovering an artist and the pleasure their music has given has been priceless. I'm envious of you starting your journey of discovery; you're going to have lots of treats along the way exploring a wonderful body of work. Enjoy Smiley
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 11:37:26 AM »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.  I am looking forward to exploring the catalog, but I definitely plan on taking my time.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 12:44:50 PM »

Welcome! Would definitely second my esteemed colleague Rab's recommendation of checking out Friends, it's my favourite post Pet Sounds album on some days.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 09:33:45 PM »

Welcome to the madhouse!

I strongly recommend approaching Still Cruisin' and Summer in Paradise with extreme caution, and not touching Stars and Stripes with a 100 foot pole! LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 07:09:11 AM »

Yeah, I'll be honest.  I am approaching the post-Pet Sounds albums with trepidation.  I mean, I am sure there are some great songs in there, but I had to turn off the Amazon music sampler (30 seconds from each song) for Smiley Smile after hearing how Vegetables, Wind Chimes, and Wonderful turned out.  I realize I have the benefit of hindsight to hear what those songs would have been like on SMiLE, but I just wasn't ready to hear those versions.  Shrug  Cheesy
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 07:33:32 AM »

"I realize I have the benefit of hindsight to hear what those songs would have been like on SMiLE, but I just wasn't ready to hear those versions."

You'll be back!

But I second Friends/20-20 as the next place to go.  There are some clunkers, but the best songs are like songs from Smile, on a smaller canvas.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 10:56:19 PM »

Yeah, I'll be honest.  I am approaching the post-Pet Sounds albums with trepidation.  I mean, I am sure there are some great songs in there, but I had to turn off the Amazon music sampler (30 seconds from each song) for Smiley Smile after hearing how Vegetables, Wind Chimes, and Wonderful turned out.  I realize I have the benefit of hindsight to hear what those songs would have been like on SMiLE, but I just wasn't ready to hear those versions.  Shrug  Cheesy

Two words: Ding Dang.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 05:49:06 AM »

wat

Wink
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 10:24:52 PM »

wat

Wink
Ding. Dang. Ding. Whoo! Ding and a ding dong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw3JBwfJP-s

Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 07:11:02 PM »

Ding. Dang. Ding. Whoo! Ding and a ding dong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw3JBwfJP-s

LOL
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 03:36:29 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygBT4nMw-Zg

Welcome!
If there is one thing you will learn from this board, it is that Brian Wilson has recoded around 10 versions of Shortening Bread / Ding Dang.
He recorded it obsessively in the 70's and 80's and claimed to Iggy Pop it was the greatest song of all time ^^

There will be many jokes flying around involving this song   Evil  LOL

Have fun!  Wink
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 06:41:58 AM »

Greatest of all time!  Nice.   Cheesy
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: