gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:18:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's VDP's problem?  (Read 41400 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 25, 2012, 02:17:46 AM »

Van Dyke considered himself a contracted employee of Brian's for Smile. His loyalty was to Brian. Mike was upset because Brian promised before Pet Sounds that he would write the album after Pet Sounds with Mike. Brian decided to write with Van instead. Mike felt Brian had not kept his promise. I think the whole Van/Mike argument is a straw man issue....Mike's beef was with Brian. Brian knew he had broken his commitment. It is no coincidence that the first single after Heroes was a BW/ML composition, Gettin' Hungry...issued under the name Brian Wilson and Mike Love. It is also no coincidence that nearly all the tunes on Wild Honey are Brian Wilson/ Mike Love songs. Brian felt he had to make his promise good to Mike.

I'm really curious why Gettin' Hungry was released as by "Brian Wilson and Mike Love", as opposed to "The Beach Boys".  Getting Hungry was on the Smiley Smile album by "The Beach Boys" and the Gettin' Hungry single was released at basically the same time as the album.  Gettin' Hungry's  flip side, also by "Brian Wilson and Mike Love" was Devoted to You, which had appeared on the Party album as by "The Beach Boys". 

Is it known who made the decision to release the single as being by "Brian Wilson and Mike Love," why was it made, and what the band members, including Brian and Mike themselves, thought of this decision?  (Yes, Caroline No was released as by "Brian Wilson," but it was released within two weeks of Sloop John B./You're So Good to Me, and protocol was such that you couldn't release two singles by the same artist at the same time, plus Caroline No saw release a little over two months prior to the release of Pet Sounds.)

I never heard any airplay for the single and in fact was unaware of it's existence until I saw it in a used record store the following spring, and from that day about 44 years years ago I've been curious as to the motive behind releasing the single as being by Brian and Mike, rather than by The Beach Boys.

Peter, are you suggesting that Getting' Hungry was released as by "Brian Wilson and Mike Love" to placate Mike, and that Mike would have preferred this designation as opposed to "The Beach Boys"?

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 25, 2012, 03:36:36 AM »

In my opinion, Brian wasn't into placating the Boys. He did what he did in his velvet steamroller way and they could [and did] deal with it.

Brian had said in an interview the year before, around the release of Caroline No, that the group [he as producer?] planned to release an occasional group song under the name of a group member. Maybe showcasing the team that wrote their most recent monster number one hit [before their most recent number 12 hit by another team] seemed like a good idea for their new record label?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:45:53 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 25, 2012, 05:25:37 PM »

Van Dyke considered himself a contracted employee of Brian's for Smile. His loyalty was to Brian. Mike was upset because Brian promised before Pet Sounds that he would write the album after Pet Sounds with Mike. Brian decided to write with Van instead. Mike felt Brian had not kept his promise. I think the whole Van/Mike argument is a straw man issue....Mike's beef was with Brian. Brian knew he had broken his commitment. It is no coincidence that the first single after Heroes was a BW/ML composition, Gettin' Hungry...issued under the name Brian Wilson and Mike Love. It is also no coincidence that nearly all the tunes on Wild Honey are Brian Wilson/ Mike Love songs. Brian felt he had to make his promise good to Mike.

I wonder if it could be as simple as Brian and Mike are the only Beach Boys featured on the track. Just as Brian had been the only one on Caroline No!

I'm really curious why Gettin' Hungry was released as by "Brian Wilson and Mike Love", as opposed to "The Beach Boys".  Getting Hungry was on the Smiley Smile album by "The Beach Boys" and the Gettin' Hungry single was released at basically the same time as the album.  Gettin' Hungry's  flip side, also by "Brian Wilson and Mike Love" was Devoted to You, which had appeared on the Party album as by "The Beach Boys". 

Is it known who made the decision to release the single as being by "Brian Wilson and Mike Love," why was it made, and what the band members, including Brian and Mike themselves, thought of this decision?  (Yes, Caroline No was released as by "Brian Wilson," but it was released within two weeks of Sloop John B./You're So Good to Me, and protocol was such that you couldn't release two singles by the same artist at the same time, plus Caroline No saw release a little over two months prior to the release of Pet Sounds.)

I never heard any airplay for the single and in fact was unaware of it's existence until I saw it in a used record store the following spring, and from that day about 44 years years ago I've been curious as to the motive behind releasing the single as being by Brian and Mike, rather than by The Beach Boys.

Peter, are you suggesting that Getting' Hungry was released as by "Brian Wilson and Mike Love" to placate Mike, and that Mike would have preferred this designation as opposed to "The Beach Boys"?

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 25, 2012, 06:05:57 PM »

Brian simply kept a promise he made to his cousin. Obviously, Mike wanted to contribute lyrics...Brian's impulse after Pet Sounds was to have more elaborate lyrics. It was a matter of keeping a promise. Mike felt he wrote more accessible understandable lyrics...as it turned out many groups simplified their lyrics after Sgt. Pepper.. I see Brian realizing he needed to listen more closely to the group...including Mike. That is not patronization, it is listening to family...and first and foremost...The Beach Boys are a family.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
MBE
« Reply #254 on: February 26, 2012, 11:27:06 PM »

Brian simply kept a promise he made to his cousin. Obviously, Mike wanted to contribute lyrics...Brian's impulse after Pet Sounds was to have more elaborate lyrics. It was a matter of keeping a promise. Mike felt he wrote more accessible understandable lyrics...as it turned out many groups simplified their lyrics after Sgt. Pepper.. I see Brian realizing he needed to listen more closely to the group...including Mike. That is not patronization, it is listening to family...and first and foremost...The Beach Boys are a family.
Great posts Peter. "Good Vibrations" showed they could still get a good result together. "Wild Honey", parts of "Friends", "Do It Again", and "Sunflower" all are or have great work by Brian and Mike.  Some of their best.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 27, 2012, 04:12:40 PM »

In my opinion, Brian wasn't into placating the Boys. He did what he did in his velvet steamroller way and they could [and did] deal with it.

Brian had said in an interview the year before, around the release of Caroline No, that the group [he as producer?] planned to release an occasional group song under the name of a group member. Maybe showcasing the team that wrote their most recent monster number one hit [before their most recent number 12 hit by another team] seemed like a good idea for their new record label?

Thanks for the info, Cam!  Any chance you know when and where this interview was published, and if it's available on the web or elsewhere?

Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 27, 2012, 04:39:48 PM »

The single best (and, possibly, best informed) perspective I've heard on this issue. Gracias, PR.

AGD -- please cough up. What's the VDP/TSS liner notes story? Come on. Enough bridge/water activity already. There's so much profoundly tedious sh!t-slinging going on round here. A dose of fact would do the world of good. Make it so.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 27, 2012, 05:25:41 PM »

Thanks for the info, Cam!  Any chance you know when and where this interview was published, and if it's available on the web or elsewhere?

Sure. Not sure if it is available on the Web. It was in a Q&A with Brian in "Beach Boys Backchat" in the September 3 1966 issue of Disc and Music Echo:

" Linda Brown: 'Are you going to go solo a lot more and just write songs - or will you continue to sing with the Beach Boys on records?'

Brian Wilson: 'I’m with the Beach Boys all the way. The last solo effort was just a chance happening - we had two tracks with single potential and one was by just me and the other by the entire group.  If this happens again, perhaps with someone else’s solo, we may do the same. But I have no plans to continue a solo career.' ”

I thought Carl was specifically mentioned as a potential solo. Maybe I mis-remembered or there might be another quote out there.

Maybe Brian was honoring some alledged promise [where does the info on that promise come from again?] but my guess is he just wanted what he wanted like always and Mike happened to fit the bill at the time.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:43:21 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 28, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »

Where does that "just this one album" story come from? Is it from Brian's "biography"?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx