gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681219 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 28, 2024, 11:28:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl  (Read 20640 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2012, 05:53:37 AM »

"I think we've gotten to understand each other and see the other's point of view and experience and it's made the group better and stronger."

That lasted about 6 years. Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2012, 05:59:42 AM »

So The Beach Boys did a Some Kind Of Monster for Summer In Paradise? My word, to have been a fly on that wall.....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2012, 06:22:42 AM »

So The Beach Boys did a Some Kind Of Monster for Summer In Paradise? My word, to have been a fly on that wall.....
That would be an epic movie, Al would be like " screw this band's endless summer cheesefest for fake fans, Mike." Mike would be like "I run this band and the fans love SIP and the same set list."

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2012, 06:41:09 AM »

Mike Love in Goldmine Sep. 1992:
... Or the same goes for anybody. You're talking the Beach Boys, you're going to get someone to listen anyway.

Not necessarily, as a certain record from around that time did prove...

Mike Love in Goldmine Sep. 1992:
But on several songs it went from good to great. And Carl, God, he's a monster on the album. I think he sounds phenomenal, the most commercial he's ever sounded.

Shocked
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2012, 01:17:06 PM »

I'll defend a lot of unpopular BB's albums, but not that one. Remember reading that interview in Goldmine, and thinking what a massive ego ML had.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2012, 01:29:41 PM »

And Carl, God, he's a monster on the album. I think he sounds phenomenal, the most commercial he's ever sounded.

Shocked

Man, that quote is hilarious. 
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2012, 01:35:23 PM »

I'll defend a lot of unpopular BB's albums, but not that one. Remember reading that interview in Goldmine, and thinking what a massive ego ML had.

That was an angry interview, indeed. Less than a year after the defamatory WIBN book. Let us not overlook the treatment the group and Brian's familiy recieve in what ended up being the best-selling and most widely distributed BB-related book. This was also the beginning of the songwriting issue trials, so Mike is at his most aggressive.

It's great to see that they've gotten over all this after 20 years!

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2012, 11:35:54 AM »

Does anyone know if Carl ever wrote or did an interview about his life? I know that he was a very private person and in that industry you don't see that often, but I for one would like to know what he thought of the music, his life, any regrets etc.

I know his family like to keep his memory sacred but is there anyone who has gone into this a little? Apart from the Billy Hinsche DVD 'Here and Now' I have very little to go on.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2012, 11:57:26 AM »

On the subject of the WIBN book, are their any recorded statements from Carl re the book? I know he sued. That book must've been like a dagger through the heart for him, poor guy. Brian really must've been in a bad way mentally to allow something like that about his brother to be published. Would be interested in hearing any comments from Carl on the, ahem, 'autobiography'.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2012, 12:35:29 PM »

Brian, aka Landy, sure made Carl out to be the bad guy in WIBN. I'm sure this didn't help the strained relationship between Brian and Carl. I don't believe most of us have even a hint of the heavy burden on the youngest brother in the later years.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2012, 01:38:17 PM »

I believe that Carl, Al, and Audree all filed lawsuits based on the book.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2012, 02:47:32 PM »

It certainly is a despicable piece of work. About the only time it genuinely sounds like the voice of Brian in the entire book is when he talks about how Friends is his personal favourite album. That's about it.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2012, 03:03:51 PM »

It certainly is a despicable piece of work. About the only time it genuinely sounds like the voice of Brian in the entire book is when he talks about how Friends is his personal favourite album. That's about it.
I remember in an interview he said "Love You" was his favorite  beach boys album. I'm confused  Huh
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:08:47 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
MBE
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2012, 03:07:37 PM »

The quote on All Summer Long or Friends did reflect how Brian feels or felt but they were paraphrased from previous sources.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2012, 09:46:18 PM »

i'm sure Carl understood that Brian did not write the book, or even read it.  I think the lawsuit was more to get Landy out of the picture and set the record straight.  i believe Brian stated in court that he just did a few interviews and never read the book.

Honestly, Steven Gaines should have sued because most of the book (minus the Landy parts) seems to be a retread of his book.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »

The lawsuits kind of confuse me. I mean, yes, the book said some downright horrible things. Al is portrayed as a racist, and poor Carl pretty much gets blaimed for his brothers death. But by 1989-90, surely they knew that Brian was more "sensitive" than most people, right? Al, Mike(I think?), Audree, and probably a few others sued Brian, but didn't they know that he wasn't really to blame for the crap said in that book? They should have sued Landy.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2012, 10:21:35 PM »

I remember in an interview he said "Love You" was his favorite  beach boys album. I'm confused  Huh

Opinions change. Brian recently has called Summer Days (And Summer Nights!) is his favorite album.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2012, 12:37:06 AM »

Opinions change. Brian recently has called Summer Days (And Summer Nights!) is his favorite album.
He even once cited Holland as a favorite. Oh, that wacky Brian! You just never know what will pop out of his mouth! "If this new album is a hit, it could revolutionize the shoe industry!"  Wink
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2012, 01:11:16 AM »

I remember when i first got into the Beach Boys and watched "An American Family." I was completely "blown away" by how strange Brian was, he is so child-like but when he is concentrating on music he transforms into this music giant!..it was astonishing to say the least.
Phil Spector once said Brian's mental sickness was all an act ..... Roll Eyes
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2012, 05:33:38 AM »

i'm sure Carl understood that Brian did not write the book, or even read it.  I think the lawsuit was more to get Landy out of the picture and set the record straight.  i believe Brian stated in court that he just did a few interviews and never read the book.

Honestly, Steven Gaines should have sued because most of the book (minus the Landy parts) seems to be a retread of his book.

The book may be a shameful anecdote for us fans that know better. But it's the bet-selling BB-related book. You still find it everywhere and it bears Brian's signature. Readers have every right to believe that it represents Brian's account on things. Gee, I remember the Mike Wheeler site had a couple of Psychological surveys on Brian based on the book-- I remember thinking how absurd that was! But then, the authors of those essays had the right to think that it was Brian (who got paid for the book, BTW) who was telling the story.

Carl must have been devastated by the way his mother, his bandmates and himself are portrayed there. The reader of the book, unfamiliar with the story and the fact that he was Landy's oponent, has the right to think that Dennis died because Carl postponed Dr. Landy's appointment as caretaker. Let us not forget cousin Mike, portrayed as a giant-turd-shitter bully. I mean, it's beyond sick. They had every right to sue.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2012, 06:17:29 AM »

Agree with all of the above. I see this stinkin' book everywhere. I wish Brian would just come out and publicly state 'this book does not represent me or my views, it's a sack of cack', or words to that effect. But then, i guess the moments passed now....
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2012, 08:05:35 AM »

so is yours.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2012, 09:07:01 AM »

The lawsuits kind of confuse me. I mean, yes, the book said some downright horrible things. Al is portrayed as a racist, and poor Carl pretty much gets blaimed for his brothers death. But by 1989-90, surely they knew that Brian was more "sensitive" than most people, right? Al, Mike(I think?), Audree, and probably a few others sued Brian, but didn't they know that he wasn't really to blame for the crap said in that book? They should have sued Landy.

I'm sure I read somewhere (but this was many years ago so I may be mistaken) that Al's lawsuit over the book was actually BRI suing Brains & Genius (the company that was owned 50/50 by Brian and Landy at the time). Not sure about the others.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2012, 11:46:26 AM »

so is yours.
Huh i don't have any mental illness
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »

Bet it would rock this place to its core if Brian ever said Summer in Paradise was his favourate album  LOL. I can almost imagine him saying that as a put-on, just to stir up the fans. Or even, 'The harmonies on Stars and Stripes were the best work we ever did'.  Evil
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx