gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680809 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:09:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Do It Again" - The Official COMPLETE Reunion Video  (Read 18064 times)
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 04:06:20 PM »

It's great to see them altogether but this and even the original don't hold a candle to the Brian/Wilson sisters version from 1995.  There's just so much raw energy in it that you don't get from the Beach Boys versions.
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0DWT-VO5pQ&ob=av2e

When Mike sings "Been so long," he should be belting it out!  I don't know, there's just something kinda dull about this version.

I don't know this version sort of makes me cringe/is kind of depressing.  Brian, while he is energetic, doesn't sound quite so good.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 04:09:36 PM »

If you listen, they added Dennis' drum line BACK in at the end, too, when Mike starts the last verse.  Or somewhere around there.  Listen to it, you'l hear it. 
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 04:25:11 PM »

Oh yeah, you're right - they've changed it from a tom to a hi-hat or a snare. Why change the one addition to the arrangement that was great?

And then I listened on headphones, not my shitty computer speakers, and found they haven't changed a damn thing.  LOL

Given my ears have already failed me once tonight, I am going to go out on an almighty limb and say this is pretty much the same mix from the leaked video.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 04:35:03 PM »

Sounds good but needs that killer organ which blasts you like the sun they sing of.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 04:39:15 PM »

No matter how many times I view it, this video never gets old.  God I love these guys!

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 04:39:34 PM »

IMO this kicks ass. The boys sound great. When was the last time you heard the BBs do a rocker on record? Mike using his tenor lead range, owning the song... When was the las time he sang a tenor lead on a BB record?

I tell you, the only problem is that hungry fans get just one song and it is overanalyzed. Suddenly there are legions of autotune experts. People start hearing things that don't even exist.

I say keep going, Beach Boys

Oh, and seeing them makes me so happy that I don't wanna complain about anything. I've dreamt of this for so long, and I like these guys so much, that at this point I find it inappropriate to criticize them.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 04:41:41 PM by Dr. Lenny » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 04:41:24 PM »

IMO this kicks ass. The boys sound great. When was the last time you heard the BBs do a rocker on record? Mike using his tenor lead range, owning the song... When was the las time he sang a tenor lead on a BB record?

I tell you, the only problem is that hungry fans get just one song and it is overanalyzed. Suddenly there are legions of autotune experts. People start hearing things that don't even exist.

Preach It Brother!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 04:44:22 PM »

Oh, and seeing them makes me so happy that I don't wanna complain about anything. I've dreamt of this for so long, and I like these guys so much, that at this point I find it inappropriate to criticize them.

Yep Yep.  I've actually been overwhelmed as to how positive the feedback has been outside of The Beach Boys' community to this reunion.  The affection the public holds for these guys is pretty evident.  People who were there in the sixties and those who received the vibrations second hand.  Either way this is going to be awesome and I wouldn't worry too much about the critics, there are quite a few people within the fan community that never wanted this reunion to happen in the first place.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 06:26:50 PM »

The drums at the beginning are really weird.  The first several lines sound like a sample of the original treated drums, but when Mike comes in, they add a weird extra snare hit on the '3' that sounds right out of Garageband or something.  Then after the first lines Cowsill finally comes in and it starts sounding like normal drums.

Noticed that too.  And it's crazy distracting.  That was definitley not in the original video that was leaked very briefly a few months ago.  The first hit of the snare in that video came right when Mike starts singing.  Sounds like they definitely added it in post.  Not sure why they inserted it in such an awkward timing as they did.

The hit on the 3? Nah I just watched the video that leaked a few months back and it's on that too. I never noticed it until someone pointed it out and now I can't help but concentrate on it.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2012, 06:29:45 PM »

Very happy to see this video up and running in final edited form!  Just an observation...does anyone think that this video has been designed for the modern-day average joe who has an attention span of about 3 seconds?  I counted the scene changes, and depending on how you count, there are at LEAST 129 different scene changes in this 177-second video!  No exaggeration! 

Not a complaint, just an observation!!! 
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2012, 06:40:58 PM »

and WOW

what a great, great solo from David, spot on!

All right!  The boy can play!   Grin

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2012, 06:57:16 PM »

...and he got a reserved parking space at Capitol! Grin
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2012, 08:07:24 PM »

I wonder if

1. they forgot to include it in the original video

or

2. they had to set the entire damn shot up again just to film it with David's name

or

3. It's just CGI or some sh*t. 
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2012, 09:04:25 PM »

Except autotune IS used here. Not to T-Pain like extents, but it's still not really necessary. Again I'll say that a touch of manual pitch correction does the trick - f*cking with the entire vocal by just throwing an autotune filter on it is lazy and unnecessary.

And as much as some folks have said it and as much as I hate sounding so cruel, damn: I'm so tired of Jeff's voice absolutely dominating every recording and performance that Brian Wilson is associated with, and now on what will be the final Beach Boys album. It's not right. Meanwhile much more capable vocalists like Matt Jardine or Christian Love have nothing to do with this, and Jeff gets a free pass for being one of Brian's minders.

I'd bet both testicles that Al could still pull off a good falsetto vocal. Dude's still got the chops he's had since the 70s, if maybe with the slightest bit of reduced range and maybe not quite as much stamina. Why he isn't at the very least doing it on the new Beach Boys recordings (maybe not the tour, as I'm sure that'd be strain enough) is waaaay beyond me.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 09:17:32 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2012, 09:12:58 PM »

Except autotune IS used here. Not to T-Pain like extents, but it's still not really necessary. Again I'll say that a touch of manual pitch correction does the trick - f*cking with the entire vocal by just throwing an autotune filter on it is lazy and unnecessary.

And as much as some folks have said it and as much as I hate sounding so cruel, damn: I'm so tired of Jeff's voice absolutely dominating every recording and performance that Brian Wilson is associated with, and now on what will be the final Beach Boys album. It's not right. Meanwhile much more capable vocalists like Matt Jardine or Christian Love have nothing to do with this, and Jeff gets a free pass for being one of Brian's minders.
Jeff has been involved for over 30 years.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2012, 09:18:21 PM »

He does not get a free pass for that. He toured with Mike and then the Beach Boys band for years. He is known and trusted and liked by everyone. Someone who can collaborate both with Datian and Mike is a rarity. And he has a voice that does absolute justice to the music.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2012, 09:22:08 PM »

Jeff's voice is terrible. He does no "justice" to anything, to my ears. His atonal wailing and obnoxious modifications to Brian's parts =/= justice.

I don't care if he's been part of the act for 30 years. He joined as a touring member of the Beach Boys in the 80s. The Beach Boys. In the 80s. What else needs to be said?

And I'll bet you lot ANYTHING that him being one of Brian's minders gave him a world of leverage that he'd otherwise not have. The guy is creepy and annoying, and I just get these vibes that he steals Brian's underwear when no one's looking or something.

Also, I find it amusing that a lot of people who champion Jeff solely because of the time he's been with the band are the same who will condemn Stamos left and right, all the while it'd be easy for someone to say, "But he's been with them for over two decades!"
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 09:55:07 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2012, 09:55:08 PM »

I'd bet both testicles that Al could still pull off a good falsetto vocal. Dude's still got the chops he's had since the 70s, if maybe with the slightest bit of reduced range and maybe not quite as much stamina. Why he isn't at the very least doing it on the new Beach Boys recordings (maybe not the tour, as I'm sure that'd be strain enough) is waaaay beyond me.

In all honesty, I never thought Al could pull off a good falsetto voice.  His voice was never meant to sing that high and it shows when he would painfully handle the leads on "Don't Worry Baby" and other songs.  I do agree there is some pitch correction going on here.  And dare I say it--all the harmonies sound a little too over-produced and manufactured.  Carl's voice is sorely missed.  :-(

Still this is not a bad little re-recording.  I actually like them flying in the original drum track at the beginning of the song. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2012, 09:56:49 PM »

I so wish there had been more of that sound in there! I love that sound of his voice, shame it only comes in at one point in the song!

Actually, he's all over the backups.  Listen on headphones, and remind yourself Foskett seemingly is the only non-BB singing...then Brian's parts become much clearer. He's singing the highest non-Foskett part in the backups.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2012, 09:58:01 PM »

Jeff's voice is terrible. He does no "justice" to anything, to my ears. His atonal wailing and obnoxious modifications to Brian's parts =/= justice.

I don't care if he's been part of the act for 30 years. He joined as a touring member of the Beach Boys in the 80s. The Beach Boys. In the 80s. What else needs to be said?

And I'll bet you lot ANYTHING that him being one of Brian's minders gave him a world of leverage that he'd otherwise not have. The guy is creepy and annoying, and I just get these vibes that he steals Brian's underwear when no one's looking or something.

Also, I find it amusing that a lot of people who champion Jeff solely because of the time he's been with the band are the same who will condemn Stamos left and right, all the while it'd be easy for someone to say, "But he's been with them for over two decades!"

Jeff's voice doesn't bother me none.  I'm glad he's involved with the vocals.  

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2012, 10:03:21 PM »

okay

I'd be happy if the new album were just called "Do It Again".  this tune really cooks!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2012, 10:17:44 PM »

It's actually a PERFECT album title, and may make potential new listeners hunt for 20/20 so they can hear the original. Win-win.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2012, 01:08:33 AM »

In all honesty, I never thought Al could pull off a good falsetto voice.  His voice was never meant to sing that high and it shows when he would painfully handle the leads on "Don't Worry Baby" and other songs. 

Bawww, really? I always loved Al's falsetto, and thought it was just as good as Carl's and, on a good day, maybe even rivaled Brian's.

Still this is not a bad little re-recording.

Nop! Can't disagree there.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2012, 02:07:07 AM »

I wonder if

1. they forgot to include it in the original video

I think the main vid was shot before David became involved in the reunion
or

2. they had to set the entire damn shot up again just to film it with David's name

Suspect so…
or

3. It's just CGI or some sh*t. 

In PC's world maybe!

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2012, 03:26:31 AM »

A smooth outing; boxes ticked.

- Artistic and musical integrity maintained/restored - It's pretty cool, I really like it
- Contemporary visuals spiced with expected but not over the top nostalgia
AND
- Prominent Gibson product placement for major tour sponsor (in the solo)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx