gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:49:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Do It Again" - The Official COMPLETE Reunion Video  (Read 17985 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:59:45 AM »

As posted by the BB Official YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23U7kegA5gc
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:11:51 AM by Justin » Logged
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:06:22 AM »

Nice video, with a lot more Dave than the earlier one.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:07:18 AM »

Thank You.!
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 11:08:18 AM »

Thanks for posting!  This does sound better each time I hear it.  The new album could be quite respectable with proper QC.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:20:08 AM »

I have NEVER complained about Jeff's falsetto....but Huh....It just sticks out like a sore thumb in this track. And they mixed Brian's voice down way too low in the track.

Okay, those are my complaints. Love the sound of the instrumentals - Mike's voice is Ok, and I LOVE Brian's vocal right after the first chorus (during the "With a girl" part). Again, I can't wait to hear this song in the context of the album!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 11:20:49 AM »

Interesting. There's a lot to like in this rendition -- I like the sound of it, largely, some of the leads are quite good, and the video is very sweet.

But this is from last summer's sessions, right? To me, it sounds like a band (and production crew) still getting the hang of working with each other. Some of the performances, especially out of the rhythm section, sound a little stiff. Not bad, but it doesn't totally gel yet.

It's a strong effort, and I'm more optimistic after seeing this. But I hope that the album sounds much tighter.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »

Mono. Nice.  Cool Guy

Also, David's the man. Looks like he was really feeling that solo.

MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 11:43:23 AM »

Anyone hear any differences in the guitar solo?  That leaves me thinking that Scott's lead from the original video was replaced by David, presumably because he was added later. Or maybe not.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 11:43:54 AM »

I still hope it won't be on the new album. Imo there's not enough bass or deepness. It's ok and good to use this as the promotional video (I believe that was the plan, right?) for the big tour but it shouldn't be on the album, although you have Dennis playing the intro. Maybe the plan with the album is to use old recording parts to make new songs a la Beatles love (no way that would happen, just kidding).

I wonder if there'll be an announcement that this video is now up and running

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 11:46:58 AM »

I wonder if there'll be an announcement that this video is now up and running

It's already up on their Facebook...which is just as good as announcing it.  I'm sure they'll embed the video on the front page of their site soon.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 11:53:50 AM »

Do it Again! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 11:57:25 AM »

When I first heard Foskett's high part in earlier incarnations of the video, I just thought the autotune was overused and his slip was showing. But now, I think it sounds like a purposeful decision to make that part distinctively sound "treated." Maybe to sound like more of an "update" and to distinguish the new version from the original?

Also, I can't figure out if Mike's verse vocals are autotuned (and maybe stretched so he can seem to hold the notes longer) or if it's just a weird side effect that is produced when you double track a vocal for an older gentleman.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 12:07:01 PM »

Also, I can't figure out if Mike's verse vocals are autotuned

I'm pretty sure they are autotuned.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 12:43:48 PM »

The drums at the beginning are really weird.  The first several lines sound like a sample of the original treated drums, but when Mike comes in, they add a weird extra snare hit on the '3' that sounds right out of Garageband or something.  Then after the first lines Cowsill finally comes in and it starts sounding like normal drums.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 12:44:38 PM »

When did Myke take up smoking ? Shocked
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 12:47:24 PM »

Highlights for me are Dave's guitar solo and Brian harmonizing with himself on the "With a girl..." part.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 01:03:24 PM »

the official (new) video seems to have a better handle on Mike Love's vocal and it doesn't sound quite as treated as before.. but the drums seem to be toned down slightly (boo) and it seems to be a new (but similar) guitar solo ( Dave this time around?)

honestly, while I like it, it seems closer to the original now , which is to say, to me, a bit boring.. the little quirks in the previous mix were rather endearing (except for ML's auto tune)

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 01:16:22 PM »

I noticed the different guitar solo...I believe there might be a little more on the end of Dave's than Scott's. I'm really happy with this...and I believe it's a little better than the one we had before.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 01:21:38 PM »

Highlights for me are Dave's guitar solo and Brian harmonizing with himself on the "With a girl..." part.

I so wish there had been more of that sound in there! I love that sound of his voice, shame it only comes in at one point in the song!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 01:44:45 PM »

The drums at the beginning are really weird.  The first several lines sound like a sample of the original treated drums, but when Mike comes in, they add a weird extra snare hit on the '3' that sounds right out of Garageband or something.  Then after the first lines Cowsill finally comes in and it starts sounding like normal drums.

It is a sample of the original recording, and that tom hit on the 3 is amazing and is funnily enough played by that guy sitting behind that drumkit there.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 01:51:08 PM »

Noticed that too.  And it's crazy distracting.  That was definitley not in the original video that was leaked very briefly a few months ago.  The first hit of the snare in that video came right when Mike starts singing.  Sounds like they definitely added it in post.  Not sure why they inserted it in such an awkward timing as they did.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 01:53:16 PM »

Oh yeah, you're right - they've changed it from a tom to a hi-hat or a snare. Why change the one addition to the arrangement that was great?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 02:51:43 PM »

I so wish there had been more of that sound in there! I love that sound of his voice, shame it only comes in at one point in the song!

Yes, I agree.

It's a bummer, mostly because by this point there's really nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to BW's singing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 02:53:56 PM »

I noticed the different guitar solo...I believe there might be a little more on the end of Dave's than Scott's. I'm really happy with this...and I believe it's a little better than the one we had before.

I hear no difference, I only see difference.

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 03:47:45 PM »

It's great to see them altogether but this and even the original don't hold a candle to the Brian/Wilson sisters version from 1995.  There's just so much raw energy in it that you don't get from the Beach Boys versions.
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0DWT-VO5pQ&ob=av2e

When Mike sings "Been so long," he should be belting it out!  I don't know, there's just something kinda dull about this version.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx