gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:20:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I think big news is coming...  (Read 37220 times)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 04:20:01 PM »

Got a call from Dave this morning...the guys were getting together for an album cover photo shoot today. FYI...they ALL got together yesterday, where Mike's staying, to watch a recording of the Grammy broadcast, and Dave said Brian's really happy and having fun.
Cool info, thanks!

Though I had hopes for an album cover without a photo of the Boys on it... The chances for a tasteful album cover art would've been higher then, I reckon. Well, I hope it turns out okay.
Yeah- I hope they're not on the front cover; I'd like something cooler than that. Maybe the pictures are for the  booklet or the BACK cover. Fingers crossed.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 04:52:55 PM »

If the album cover is anything like "in the key of Disney", I might cry

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 05:31:16 PM »

Please, no shots..

...on the beach.
...with a hot rod.
...showing a sunset.
...with the title referring to a old hit such as 'Doing It Again".
...showing girls wearing bikinis or cheerleaders.

More?
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 05:36:15 PM »

Mike, Al and Bruce have all used old song titles to describe recent events. We are getting back to "do it Again" and we had "fun, fun. fun"etc.
So the chances of it being a nostalgia title are high. The Beach Boys Do it Again ,again.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 05:41:41 PM »

You know what kills me??

That damn font their using for their name for the 50th anniversary (the one on the new t-shirt and the BB Facebook profile pic). It's incredibly cheesy and outdated. Where the hell is the SMiLE lettering!? Where is something new and fresh that doesn't seem so friggin' dated!?

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks this way, but I really dislike that font.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 05:45:17 PM »

You know what kills me??

That damn font their using for their name for the 50th anniversary (the one on the new t-shirt and the BB Facebook profile pic). It's incredibly cheesy and outdated. Where the hell is the SMiLE lettering!? Where is something new and fresh that doesn't seem so friggin' dated!?

I had initially felt this way.  But the more I thought about it, that font is sort of like the drop T logo for the Beatles, everyone knows it and its not THAT bad.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 05:56:21 PM »

You know what kills me??

I had initially felt this way.  But the more I thought about it, that font is sort of like the drop T logo for the Beatles, everyone knows it and its not THAT bad.

I can see that. But the Beatles' logo has class...The Beach Boys logo looks like it was a fluorescent sign ripped from a malt-shop wall in the 50s.

Perhaps I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective: I'm an 80s child and only just got back into The Beach Boys (two-three years ago)...so I'm really not hip to how everyone knows them. I think the fun-hip lettering from the SMiLE cover would have been perfect for the anniversary though!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2012, 05:59:16 PM »

You know what kills me??

I can see that. But the Beatles' logo has class...The Beach Boys logo looks like it was a fluorescent sign ripped from a malt-shop wall in the 50s.

Perhaps I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective: I'm an 80s child and only just got back into The Beach Boys (two-three years ago)...so I'm really not hip to how everyone knows them. I think the fun-hip lettering from the SMiLE cover would have been perfect for the anniversary though!

How about the Pet Sounds lettering? I think that is far more iconic for the Pitchfork crowd, at least.

And yeah, I've been a fan since the 90s, and I hate the Dean Torrence logo too.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2012, 06:02:17 PM »

Please, no shots..

...on the beach.
...with a hot rod.
...showing a sunset.

More?
Maybe nothing that uses the words "The Beach Boys" either. You just denied the first 4 years of their musical history with first two items on your list. Are we now ashamed of all that came before?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2012, 06:07:22 PM »

Please, no shots..

...on the beach.
...with a hot rod.
...showing a sunset.

More?
Maybe nothing that uses the words "The Beach Boys" either. You just denied the first 4 years of their musical history with first two items on your list. Are we now ashamed of all that came before?

No...we just don't want any more of it  Grin

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 06:16:54 PM »

Please, no shots..

...on the beach.
...with a hot rod.
...showing a sunset.

More?

Something wrong with it? All those top 40 hits and we don't want any more of it. Serious question; what are you expecting from this new album, another Smile or Pet Sounds?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2012, 06:55:21 PM »

Please, no shots..

...on the beach.
...with a hot rod.
...showing a sunset.

More?

Something wrong with it? All those top 40 hits and we don't want any more of it. Serious question; what are you expecting from this new album, another Smile or Pet Sounds?

Nothing wrong with it at all. I love those songs. There's just no reason, gosh, even Bruce said it, for them to be attempting to write hit songs.  They're exploring their artistic talents creating an enjoyable listening experience that the band will have a lot of fun recording.  I'm not expecting Smile or Pet Sounds, but I'm expecting something along the lines of TLOS.  Of course, I'm expecting much less of a concept album, but some real enjoyable material  Grin

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2012, 06:59:09 PM »

You know what kills me??

How about the Pet Sounds lettering? I think that is far more iconic for the Pitchfork crowd, at least.

Yeah! That would be good too. With the release of SMiLE I would've hoped the stereotypical image of the fun-in-the-sun Beach Boys and that logo would quietly go away....but I guess not...
_____

Regardless, I'm listening to In The Key Of Disney and it's making me super excited for the new album!!!

I wasn't too impressed with the new Do It Again, but hopefully hearing the whole song in relation to the entire album will change my mind!

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2012, 07:02:28 PM »

You know what kills me??

Yeah! That would be good too. With the release of SMiLE I would've hoped the stereotypical image of the fun-in-the-sun Beach Boys and that logo would quietly go away....but I guess not...
_____

Regardless, I'm listening to In The Key Of Disney and it's making me super excited for the new album!!!

I wasn't too impressed with the new Do It Again, but hopefully hearing the whole song in relation to the entire album will change my mind!

I think their stereotypical fun in the sun image is slowly fading...and I wouldn't expect it to be real prominent during this tour or on the album.  These guys are doing it right this time...I can feel it.  Especially based on what tour dates they already have reserved and the Grammy performance.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2012, 07:09:55 PM »

Yeah, you're right.

I guess I'm just eager to live in a world where everyone owns/regularly plays Pet Sounds Grin

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2012, 07:10:19 PM »

Please, no shots..

...on the beach.
...with a hot rod.
...showing a sunset.

More?

No...we just don't want any more of it  Grin

Nothing wrong with it at all. I love those songs. There's just no reason, gosh, even Bruce said it, for them to be attempting to write hit songs.  They're exploring their artistic talents creating an enjoyable listening experience that the band will have a lot of fun recording.  I'm not expecting Smile or Pet Sounds, but I'm expecting something along the lines of TLOS.  Of course, I'm expecting much less of a concept album, but some real enjoyable material  Grin
I didn't mean it as "hits", but rather, quality material. I'll take something more along the lines of All Summer Long, Today or Summer Days, than TLOS. You are correct though, I am quite afraid that we will probably get TLOS 2. Maybe the voices of the Beach Boys will make a TLOS 2 more listenable.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:14:07 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2012, 07:11:24 PM »

duplicate post
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:13:02 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2012, 07:12:15 PM »

Triplicate post
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:13:28 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2012, 07:40:09 PM »

A suggested album title:

Pacific Coast Sunset (marking the end of their careers)

coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2012, 07:46:49 PM »

I wouldn't mind the title "Celebration". Simple and elegant.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2012, 07:50:55 PM »

I think Mr Positive Love already used that title. Tongue
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2012, 08:48:09 PM »

Man, what an amazing time to be a fan.  As the reunion continues to unfold, I find myself becoming more and more excited at what this year will bring, which is not at all the reaction I imagined myself having every time there were hypothetical reunion discussions around here. 

As others have said, I'm really getting a good vibe from all this - everyone seems genuinely happy to be back together, and I foresee some wonderful music coming from these sessions.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2012, 09:02:27 PM »

I think Mr Positive Love already used that title. Tongue
Back to class, crack the books, no givin' the teachers dirty looks...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2012, 09:40:53 PM »

My source just leaked some info. Another sessions boxed set, this time for Keepin' The Summer Alive!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2012, 09:57:31 PM »

Please, no shots..

...on the beach.
...with a hot rod.
...showing a sunset.

More?

No...we just don't want any more of it  Grin

Nothing wrong with it at all. I love those songs. There's just no reason, gosh, even Bruce said it, for them to be attempting to write hit songs.  They're exploring their artistic talents creating an enjoyable listening experience that the band will have a lot of fun recording.  I'm not expecting Smile or Pet Sounds, but I'm expecting something along the lines of TLOS.  Of course, I'm expecting much less of a concept album, but some real enjoyable material  Grin
I didn't mean it as "hits", but rather, quality material. I'll take something more along the lines of All Summer Long, Today or Summer Days, than TLOS. You are correct though, I am quite afraid that we will probably get TLOS 2. Maybe the voices of the Beach Boys will make a TLOS 2 more listenable.

Dude, TLOS was probably the best solo album Brian has ever made. We should be so lucky to get TLOS part two. Really. (And I seem to recall it being plenty listenable. Good reviews, too.) Plus, it was made by a guy considerably closer in age to the current-day BBs than the 20-something who made those earlier albums.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx