gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:53:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1056007 times)
changeng
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: June 22, 2012, 03:25:41 PM »

Well, I'm glad you all love the record, but for me, it's halfway wonderful with some really avoidable tracks.

I found a great way to enjoy the good and leave the not-so-good.  Start it on track 9 - "Strange World" and let it play through, starting again on tracks 1 and 2 and then STOP THE CD.  Everything else (to me) is very forgettable and this way you have an artsy EP of what sounds like a more somber "TLOS", ending with "TWGMTR".  It has a real nice flow to it this way and you get to have the others as bonus tracks.  SCORE !
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4076 on: June 22, 2012, 05:31:24 PM »

Everyone was saying that the last three songs were so much better than the rest of the album. I disagree, I think the album is consistently good. Sure, the last three are more "serious" but that doesn't make them better.

Oh yeah, I agree. People tend to think that the Beach Boys' music is only worthless if it is melancholy (no matter which year).

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Denny's Drums
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: June 22, 2012, 05:47:37 PM »

I have to admit I was not so much skeptical about the material on this new album but I wasn't expecting it to be as  amazing as it is. Tracks 9-12 really is beautiful work.  Not sure if they're going to release any more albums but this makes for a great swansong.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4078 on: June 23, 2012, 04:52:47 PM »

Something I've noticed from listening to this album is that a lot of vocals on Brian's solo albums that I attributed to Taylor Mills are actually Jeff. haha.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: June 23, 2012, 06:19:44 PM »

Something I've noticed from listening to this album is that a lot of vocals on Brian's solo albums that I attributed to Taylor Mills are actually Jeff. haha.

Yeah. But some of the girly vocals here are Bruce's also.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4080 on: June 23, 2012, 06:25:46 PM »

That cutie in the mini-skirt making bedroom eyes at the audience while vaguely handling a shekere in BW's solo shows? Also Jeff.  Tongue
Paulos
« Reply #4081 on: June 24, 2012, 03:09:01 AM »

That cutie in the mini-skirt making bedroom eyes at the audience while vaguely handling a shekere in BW's solo shows? Also Jeff.  Tongue

LOL LOL
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4082 on: June 24, 2012, 04:31:48 AM »

I'm not a big fan of Beaches In Mind, otherwise it is a very good album.
jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: June 24, 2012, 05:45:32 PM »

Love the new album. Exceeded my expectations. Brians writing seems the real achievement in my opinion. He has given us so much over these last 10 years or so.  Thank you to he and Joe Thomas for writing such beautiful music. I hear many similarites with the Imagination album which I've always liked. There is not a bad song on the album though Beaches in Mind is probably my least favorite. On the other hand, I think Mikes Daybreak over the Ocean is one of the 2 or 3 best songs. I really like all the vocals on Isnt it Time. I'm seeing their show June 29 at Darien Lake NY. Cannot wait. Meet and Greet ticket. Hope i get a chance to ask a question to them

jet without wings
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: June 24, 2012, 07:27:47 PM »

Im listening to it yet again, as i truly love it. Unlike all of Brian's solo efforts (will be honest Im still looking for TLOS), there was always something I found annoying, and also moments of greatness. I  and i am still yet to hear the weak or annoying track(s) on this album. The songs I didnt think we are as good as the classics (TwGMTR &the suite), well are completely growing on me. Shelter for example sounds like the classic Beach boys late 70s stuff to me. there are moments that take me to every period of the Beach Boys.

A couple of other random comments. I love Mike's bass vocal on Isn't it time, and I love the line from Spring Vacation "Harmony boys,is what we believe in".It gets a smile every time hearing that. I love the harmonies in DOTO, especially the one near the end sounding lots like Carl "bring my baby back ..", also the ending. Simple but wonderful. Also, the clear & confident piano chords of Pacific Coast highway. Just wonderful. The best Brian in ,oh I don't know how long..

ps. I also hear the spirit of Dennis all over this album,especially in the opener and the theme of the suite seems like a follow up of Pacific ocean blue. Also reading Joe Thomas interview, and with the quality of the suite, I believe we have the genesis of a new "smile" lost album legend? Notice how he said another ,i think 6-8 in the vault from this suite, and would love to see them alltogether...hmmm,sound's familiar!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: June 25, 2012, 05:01:13 PM »

Love the new album. Exceeded my expectations. Brians writing seems the real achievement in my opinion. He has given us so much over these last 10 years or so.  Thank you to he and Joe Thomas for writing such beautiful music. I hear many similarites with the Imagination album which I've always liked. There is not a bad song on the album though Beaches in Mind is probably my least favorite. On the other hand, I think Mikes Daybreak over the Ocean is one of the 2 or 3 best songs. I really like all the vocals on Isnt it Time. I'm seeing their show June 29 at Darien Lake NY. Cannot wait. Meet and Greet ticket. Hope i get a chance to ask a question to them

jet without wings

Have your question ready and get it in quick. Then smile...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: June 26, 2012, 10:27:31 AM »

jet without wings

That's right. You're $400 meet and greet ticket buys you about 8 to 10 seconds. (according to one VIP posters experience, here)

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: June 26, 2012, 11:38:37 AM »

jet without wings

That's right. You're $400 meet and greet ticket buys you about 8 to 10 seconds. (according to one VIP posters experience, here)
That's just about right. I milked an extra 10-15 seconds talking to Mike while positioning to get my pic taken with them. Tara (our hostess) was none  too pleased, either.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: June 27, 2012, 01:28:09 AM »

Anybody want to take a guess as to how many copies this album will end up selling worldwide?

For reference, I believe the releases from Lana Del Rey and One Direction are the only new records from 2012 to surpass one million units (although Mr. Bieber will rocket past that bar very soon).

Week 1: #3 - 86,000
Week 2: #16 - 42,000

Total: 128,000+

Source: Mediatraffic.de

Week 3 results should be known real soon. Personally, I think they'll end up topping 250,000 thanks to the tour/reunion giving the record a boost throughout the year.
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: June 27, 2012, 01:53:25 AM »

jet without wings

Thats $1250 here in Australia with no soundcheck! (only $100 + per second for the privelege...) Cry
jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: June 27, 2012, 01:50:51 PM »

I plan to be ready. I'm sure they will move us through quickly. Will post photos, if they are good ones. Received my Live Nation arrival instructions. Stoked!

Jet without wings

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: June 27, 2012, 02:03:17 PM »

Woke up this morning with 'Beaches in Mind' playing in my head. So I shuffled down the hall to my office and put it on at once Smiley

"...man it's been too much time" :D

Lol. It's so cheezy/goofy that it's awesome if you ask me. 

Once "Beaches in Mind" has crawled into your head, it's hard to get it out of there!......

...... there it is again!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4092 on: June 27, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »

Woke up this morning with 'Beaches in Mind' playing in my head. So I shuffled down the hall to my office and put it on at once Smiley

"...man it's been too much time" :D

Lol. It's so cheezy/goofy that it's awesome if you ask me. 

Once "Beaches in Mind" has crawled into your head, it's hard to get it out of there!......

...... there it is again!

Again, earworms! Snippets of songs from the album have been playing through my mind at random times ever since I heard it. As for kids singing along to it in earlier posts my sister randomly sang "Radioooo!" when TWGMTR was playing and "Vibrations!" on Spring Vacation. Totally random but funny

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: June 27, 2012, 02:47:53 PM »

Hey guys apparently the life suite exists and brian wants to release it.

THE WHOLE ALBUM EXISTS.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: June 27, 2012, 02:49:33 PM »

THE WHOLE ALBUM EXISTS.
how about a mini EP that we can download,with the single version of "isn't it time" the suite and maybe another song or two,,,
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4095 on: June 27, 2012, 03:07:52 PM »

THE WHOLE ALBUM EXISTS.

Hold up, where did that info come out? Billboard article? I didn't see anywhere that said the full suite was completely recorded.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4096 on: June 27, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »

THE WHOLE ALBUM EXISTS.

No, it does not. Unless Joe Thomas has been lying to the press.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: June 27, 2012, 06:24:54 PM »

" 80 hours worth of tape," much of it culled from material they were working on around the time of Wilson's 1998 "Imagination" album that "were always songs he had earmarked for the Beach Boys." Some are on "That's Why God Made the Radio," but others include demos with the late Carl Wilson's vocals and an unreleased Dennis Wilson composition, as well as songs that were part of a suite from which the new album's "Pacific Coast Highway" and "Summer's Gone" (co-written with Jon Bon Jovi) were drawn."

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: June 27, 2012, 06:28:17 PM »

" 80 hours worth of tape," much of it culled from material they were working on around the time of Wilson's 1998 "Imagination" album that "were always songs he had earmarked for the Beach Boys." Some are on "That's Why God Made the Radio," but others include demos with the late Carl Wilson's vocals and an unreleased Dennis Wilson composition, as well as songs that were part of a suite from which the new album's "Pacific Coast Highway" and "Summer's Gone" (co-written with Jon Bon Jovi) were drawn."

I don't understand how that makes you think the whole suite is done. The rough sketches are there from Brian's sessions with Joe, but they need to be completely written, backing tracks recorded, Beach Boys vocals laid down, mixing, mastering.....

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4099 on: June 27, 2012, 06:30:47 PM »

Right, because no one on this board would be interested in listening to those rough sketches. Might be fun to release a few as part of a "selected piano demos" set one day.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx