gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:05:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 165 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055772 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3975 on: June 06, 2012, 02:49:05 PM »

Heard the album for the first time today while the family was out. Loud volume.

By the time they got back I was blubbing.

Pacific Coast Highway is awesome. Makes MAD sound like a SiP outtake.

Summer's Gone has no right to exist. Brian Wilson's supposed to have peaked creatively some 46 years ago. But this track is up there. Really.

Part of me wants it to never end. Part of me really believes this is Wilson either saying "goodbye" to the band or "goodbye" to the fans.

Folks are still giving a toss about a few bucks' price difference.
just buy the thing and listen ... Priceless.

“We live in divisive times.”
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: June 06, 2012, 02:52:19 PM »

Good thing you went into it expecting not to like it!  Just imagine what could have happened if you allowed yourself to consider it might be decent. 

LOL

(this is why we love Ron)

Old Man

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: June 06, 2012, 07:05:05 PM »

Got the album today.  I find this a very frustrating listen.  There are moments of greatness, but a majority of it sounds like a Beach Boys parody.  These moments  than make up for the tons of embarrassing fluff though.  Isn't it Time is great, Think About the Days is alright except for that ugly piano sound, Shelter's chorus is nice and of course the suite.

Now that my opinion of the album is off my chest, have you guys heard the very recent interview about the album where Bruce says that T'ill I Die was the "end of the (Beach Boys') career"?  I find that to be surprisingly insightful.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3978 on: June 07, 2012, 02:16:14 AM »

As said here, the likelihood that the Boys would have had anything to do with a project like TLOS is infinitesimal. Too strange. Too arty. Mike wouldn't have allowed the Parks parts.

How could you possibly know that? Listen to the last three songs on TWGMTR, especially the lyrics. If Mike wouldn't allow those, why should he not allow spoken parts? The villain Mike thing is sooooo retro! Wink 2

But I absolutely agree with you about TLOS being Brian's best solo album.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: June 07, 2012, 03:44:32 AM »

… have you guys heard the very recent interview about the album where Bruce says that T'ill I Die was the "end of the (Beach Boys') career"?  I find that to be surprisingly insightful.

So what's insightful Bruce doing for a living these days? Give him my best next time you see him – and if there's any way I can help, get him to drop me a line.

Roll Eyes

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: June 07, 2012, 04:39:13 AM »

Got the album today.  I find this a very frustrating listen.  There are moments of greatness, but a majority of it sounds like a Beach Boys parody.  These moments  than make up for the tons of embarrassing fluff though.  Isn't it Time is great, Think About the Days is alright except for that ugly piano sound, Shelter's chorus is nice and of course the suite.

Now that my opinion of the album is off my chest, have you guys heard the very recent interview about the album where Bruce says that T'ill I Die was the "end of the (Beach Boys') career"?  I find that to be surprisingly insightful.

i thought he said it was the of Brian.  I've also never thought the term "self parody" made any sense.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: June 07, 2012, 05:56:32 AM »

Pacific Coast Highway

Noted: that first word "Sometimes…"

Knew I'd heard it delivered similarly before… and just realised: whether intentional or not, it's a ringer for the first word in Dennis's (unreleased) I've Got a Friend.

Anyone agree?

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: June 07, 2012, 05:58:47 AM »

The whole track sounds like a Dennis Wilson song to me (...and I mean that as a compliment).
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: June 07, 2012, 09:03:48 AM »

i thought he said it was the of Brian.  I've also never thought the term "self parody" made any sense.

He said it was the last great Brian Wilson song, and he started saying it 30 years ago.  He may have changed his mind.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: June 07, 2012, 09:31:15 AM »

The whole track sounds like a Dennis Wilson song to me (...and I mean that as a compliment).

Agreed, the dramatic piano is very Dennis on that track.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: June 07, 2012, 10:12:23 AM »

I suppose this thread can be unstickied now?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: June 07, 2012, 06:00:29 PM »

The album has 5 stars on Amazon (out of 60 reviews) as of right now!

If some of you all haven't yet, you should put some reviews up!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: June 07, 2012, 08:16:05 PM »

OK so I bought the album this morning, but have had the sh*ts all day and didn't want to listen while my guts were like this because I thought it might compromise my first listen.  Watched the Queen's jubilee concert instead, but roll on tomorrow, I hope I feel better then. Afro

Saw this the other day, logged on today to find it again to make sure it wasn't just something I dreamt.  Post of the year. Cool story bro.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: June 07, 2012, 08:23:48 PM »

Part of me wants it to never end. Part of me really believes this is Wilson either saying "goodbye" to the band or "goodbye" to the fans.

I was thinking today, maybe it's about Denny and Carl? 

"My Life; I'm better off Alone.... My Life; I'm better on my Own"  is about the pain of losing someone you love, you'd be better off if you never got close to anybody. 
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: June 07, 2012, 11:47:44 PM »

I finally caved and bought the mp3 download instead of relying on spotify. I'm with everyone else: I think this album will be better while driving.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3990 on: June 08, 2012, 05:42:23 AM »

I finally caved and bought the mp3 download instead of relying on spotify. I'm with everyone else: I think this album will be better while driving.

It sounds pretty badass in the car.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3991 on: June 08, 2012, 12:31:15 PM »

Yes it does!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: June 08, 2012, 01:12:37 PM »

Yes it does!

Agreed re tracks 1-9.  My car doesn't really do tracks 10-12 justice, though.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: June 09, 2012, 12:49:52 AM »

Yes it does!

Agreed re tracks 1-9.  My car doesn't really do tracks 10-12 justice, though.

Time to get a new car... :D
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: June 09, 2012, 11:59:06 AM »

How come there's so few songs either writtten by Al, Dennis, Carl or Bruce, or that has them singing on the tunes? It was my belief
we were gonna get an album with several songs having Carl and/or Dennis overdubbed (that's the word?), like on Don't fight the sea. Besides - isn't that really a Beach Boys song and why wasn't it included on the album?

/B
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3995 on: June 09, 2012, 12:02:52 PM »

I'm guessing Al, Carl, Dennis, and Bruce haven't exactly been prolific songwriters the past few decades. I'm glad "Don't Fight The Sea" isn't on the album, it's already been released! Those opening cheesy sounds would've really grated.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: June 09, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »

Ultimately it's because Brian really IS calling the shots in the studio, and naturally likes his own songs better than he likes any anybody else wrote. 

Lemme also say, the rest of the band has a really hard time producing anything at all.  The other two producers appear to have passed away.  Mike likes producing things then they never come out.  Bruce likes producing 1 song every 10 years.  Al likes producing 1 album every 30 years.  Brian likes producing 1 album a year. 

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: June 09, 2012, 01:51:54 PM »

add me to the list of liking to listen to the new cd in a car while just driving around. wonderful........

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Acechaser
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: June 09, 2012, 02:54:20 PM »

Given that Brian "saved" some 90's songs for the Beach Boys to sing on a new album, I am surprised that "Desert Drive" and "South American" were not among those saved.   I would love to hear both songs with full BB vocals.   
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3999 on: June 09, 2012, 03:07:20 PM »

I'm guessing Al, Carl, Dennis, and Bruce haven't exactly been prolific songwriters the past few decades.

I'm pretty sure that Dennis and Carl haven't actually written a note since 1983 and 1998 respectively.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 165 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx