gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:07:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1060990 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: June 05, 2012, 05:49:49 AM »

Really cool that the CD is 7.99, You'd think the record companies would get with the program and just make all CD's 7 or 8 bucks, maybe they'd sell some again!  If the album's only 8 bucks, it makes people more likely to pay that small sum to own the booklet and the shiny little circle. 

Pfff. f*** logic, man. That makes too much sense.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: June 05, 2012, 07:13:53 AM »

OK so I bought the album this morning, but have had the sh*ts all day and didn't want to listen while my guts were like this because I thought it might compromise my first listen.  Watched the Queen's jubilee concert instead, but roll on tomorrow, I hope I feel better then. Afro
That jubilee concert would give anyone the shits!
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: June 05, 2012, 09:51:31 AM »

New album is now up on Spotify. Both versions.

Versions?

Versions. Both. That's "more than one".

Right-O, I know the definition of the word "version", oh snarky one ^_^ I'm asking, wat? There are multiple versions? I wasn't aware and can't find anything about it.

Edit: lawl, wait, is this in reference to the QVC version with the 2nd, separate disc? I'd forgotten it existed given it's about the 793the redundant hits collection that's been released in the last decade or so. My bad.

On the UK Spotify. Both versions - US and Japanese, w/bonus track. Which everyone would have twigged had they actually logged on to Spotify.

Well, I logged on to Spotify , but it's not available in Sweden. Guess the Jap version sounds the same, but w/the additional DIA, or "Love revival" if you wish.... Wink

A little disappointed, I thought the other version was the p-r-o-m-o version... Wink

/B

This morning, Spotify gives me the "Not Currently Available In The United States" error on both versions.

Just delayed. It's on spotify in the US now.
eknirb
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: June 05, 2012, 10:05:24 AM »

First post, listened to the entire thing.  Favorites: Think About The Days.....From There.....Isn't It Time....PCH...Summer's Gone, and Beach's In Mind

Longtime career in major market radio--but never had much to do with the BBs--they just weren't much on the CHR and AC radar for me.  

Good story tho- late 80s, Cruise is on fire after Top Gun, here's this movie about...being a bartender.  OK, whatever.  It could be a movie baout him being an elevator operator @ this point, and it would still be gold.  We know there's gonna be a big soundtrack, etc.  The label is working, I be-lieve....Fabulous Stuff from the FTBs...and I think we were also playing GA Satellites just for fun.  I told Justin Fontaine---Justin if you're out there I am STILL waiting for my RIAA plaque...I said Justin..there's another song on here you need to pay attention to.  "Oh, well, yeah, there's the Starship song."  I said no- there's an absolute slam dunk monster on this album...wake up."  

Some songs are easier to call than others.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 05:10:10 PM by eknirb » Logged
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: June 05, 2012, 10:11:25 AM »

24bit version available at HDtracks...

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD5099946320056
eknirb
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: June 05, 2012, 10:19:27 AM »

PS---am I right, or not--the remake of DIA is ONLY going to be on the actual disc WM sells?  Not gonna go drive to WM to buy a CD for one song!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: June 05, 2012, 11:06:42 AM »

piano cover of "from there to back again"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aW58qhcAKc
Paulos
« Reply #3957 on: June 05, 2012, 11:17:29 AM »

PS---am I right, or not--the remake of DIA is ONLY going to be on the actual disc WM sells?  Not gonna go drive to WM to buy a CD for one song!

As far as I'm aware it is only on the Walmart exclusive Zinepak and the Japanese version of TWGMTR.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: June 05, 2012, 11:41:28 AM »

Has anyone noticed the similarities between 'Daybreak Over The Ocean' and 'Getcha Back'?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
cwalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: June 05, 2012, 01:59:58 PM »

Was going to go to Best Buy to get the CD... But I'm hearing that Walmart has the same CD except that it has DIA on it???   That would be cool...
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3960 on: June 05, 2012, 02:20:43 PM »

So is the vinyl out today, too? Or is that coming out later?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: June 05, 2012, 02:21:20 PM »

So is the vinyl out today, too? Or is that coming out later?

Last I heard it wasn't coming out until late July or early August.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3962 on: June 05, 2012, 02:50:01 PM »

Has anyone noticed the similarities between 'Daybreak Over The Ocean' and 'Getcha Back'?

"Daybreak" was first written & recorded back in fall 1978.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RCTID
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: June 05, 2012, 03:08:40 PM »

since TWGMTR is now officially released... does this thread now act as the place for information on the NEXT Beach Boys album?  Razz

"you've got the beach boys...your firms got the stones"
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: June 05, 2012, 04:14:11 PM »

It was #1 on Amazon and #8 on iTunes earlier.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: June 05, 2012, 08:20:02 PM »

Heads up: the mp3 version of the album is down to $4.99 on amazon.
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: June 05, 2012, 11:09:42 PM »

I'm torn between Spring Vacation and Summer's Gone being my favorate. Isn't it time is great too.................what am I saying!?!?! Its the fu*king Beach Boys!!!!!!!!! They are all great!  Grin

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Funky Pity
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: June 06, 2012, 05:18:31 AM »

Hello, everyone!
I'm a new member from Sweden. Great album! I bought it yesterday.
Been a fan since 1989 (yes... my very first CD was Still Crusin'). Saw them for the first time in Gotheburg july 1991.
I agree with many other fans, their best record since LA album - 8/10.
Best tracks: Strange World, From There To Back Again (Al for President!?) I honestly can't find a really bad track on this album.
The track I listen to the least is "Shelter". Probably because that's the track where I really miss Carl the most, (at the chorus) Undecided

The official reviews of the album in Sweden is a solid 6 out of 10, the critics seems to be pleasantly surprised.

But why no lead vocals from Bruce? Is the re-recording of "She Believes In Love Again (from BB 1985) the only Johnston track considered for this album?
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: June 06, 2012, 09:41:48 AM »

Finally listened to the album in full. There should be a law to prevent Joe Thomas be anywhere near Brian or any of the band. The songs aren't great and the production is worse. So disappointed.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3969 on: June 06, 2012, 10:02:18 AM »

Finally listened to the album in full. There should be a law to prevent Joe Thomas be anywhere near Brian or any of the band. The songs aren't great and the production is worse. So disappointed.
I am not a fan of Thomas' production on Imagination, and there are some questionable decisions on this record too. However, I think that as a songwriting and production collaborator for Brian, Joe acquits himself pretty well on this album. Ditto his much-maligned songwriting partners who are apparently both mob bosses.

We would all love to have Van Dyke Parks, Andy Paley, Scott Bennett, et. Al. Involved with this album, but the reality is that The Beach Boys are all comfortable with Thomas as a mediator.

Sorry to hear that you are so disappointed about the record. Perhaps in time you will begin to enjoy some of the tracks. I know that "Shelter" was a huuuuuuge grower for me; the first time I heard it, I thought it was OK. Now, I think that along with the ending suite, it is some of Brian's best work ever.

And yes, "Beaches in Mind" is execrable. The one track on the album that I am reasonably sure I will never like.

- B00ts
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: June 06, 2012, 10:22:40 AM »

I like the opener and the last three tracks are not bad, I don't think they are as good as others seem to think but thats ok. I really wasn't expecting much, especially with Joe involved but deep down I had hope. Oh well.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: June 06, 2012, 10:35:12 AM »

Good thing you went into it expecting not to like it!  Just imagine what could have happened if you allowed yourself to consider it might be decent. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: June 06, 2012, 11:06:28 AM »

Now, now, Ron.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3973 on: June 06, 2012, 11:13:56 AM »

Good thing you went into it expecting not to like it!  Just imagine what could have happened if you allowed yourself to consider it might be decent. 
This is a good rule of thumb. We should all forget our opinions and expectations before listening to any new album. I do it by drinking dangerously huge amounts of alcohol, but ether works too.

- B00ts
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: June 06, 2012, 11:25:34 AM »

Heads up: the mp3 version of the album is down to $4.99 on amazon.

I felt like a real non-fan waiting this long after its release to finally buy it, but man, in this case, being a procrastinator really paid off. That's half the price the CD was when I reserved it on Amazon! Good thing I cancelled my order before it shipped.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx