gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681099 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 02:15:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157 158 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1067885 times)
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: June 01, 2012, 09:40:47 AM »

You guys suck for hating on Beaches in Mind. Seriously, you're all so prissy and particular. My lord, just enjoy it - it's a Brian Wilson fun in the sun song. This is something he does really, really well (with a little input from Mike), and he freakin delivered! I don't understand you people. And I say that with all due respect (Talladega Nights style  Grin).

Beaches in Minda and Strange World (another one that you all seem not like) are probably the best two tracks. Bill and Sue not so great. Everything else - awesome. Funny how TWGMTR is rarely mentioned as a favorite track. It reminds me of the Van Halen "tattoo" single. The fans hated it, and it's generally dismissed. But had it NOT been a single, I bet it would be one of the favorite tracks. Same thing with TWGMTR. Bet if it wasn't the single, we would all be talking about how brilliant that song is in addition to the last three songs. Hm.....

By the way, I started illegally downloading the album last night, but I stopped before it was complete. It just felt - wrong. (my views of the songs are based on the generous iTunes samples). CAN'T WAIT TILL TUESDAY!!!!!!!!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: June 01, 2012, 09:45:22 AM »

You guys suck for hating on Beaches in Mind. Seriously, you're all so prissy and particular. My lord, just enjoy it - it's a Brian Wilson fun in the sun song.

TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: June 01, 2012, 09:50:06 AM »

hahahaha - I have no idea what that image has to do with the caption, but it's making me laugh
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: June 01, 2012, 09:57:25 AM »

I can't help but think the line "Drivin' down Pacific Coast out on Highway One, the setting sun/Goodbye" is a euphemism for death.

I think you mean a metaphor.

Oops. Fixed.  Grin

I screen grabbed this from one of the Youtube promos. Brian's reading lyrics from the control room. I wonder what they're from ("Strange World"?)

I thought Joe Thomas mentioned something about Brian writing some Spanish lyrics for Private Life Of Bill and Sue, maybe its that one?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: June 01, 2012, 10:08:31 AM »

One thing that annoys me, why do the BB have to include these "tropical" elements like in "Daybreak Over the Ocean"? Here's a big misunderstanding I think. When the group started out and sang about the fun-in-the-sun stuff it wasn't about taking a fucking vacation on a tropical island. On the contrary, what probably still makes their early stuff so incredibly appealing is the idea that they were living the life they sang about 365 days a year, not just when their bosses and wives would allow them to. Huge difference!

Oh, by the way, I think "Strange World" is pretty underrated around here. Very charming little song (and very Brian imho!).
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: June 01, 2012, 10:10:09 AM »

They (well, Mike Love) are just trying and hoping to recapture the commercial success of Kokomo with the whole tropical vibe..
how is that not, like, really obvious?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 10:11:15 AM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: June 01, 2012, 10:15:50 AM »

Yes, of course, but then he didn't succeed one single time, so why not finally get rid of that stuff?

Anyway, the tune itself is rather nice i think...
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: June 01, 2012, 10:17:13 AM »

I really like Daybreak. It's very (as Brian would put it) mellow. The lyrics are great - Mike should be writing more like that and less of the "good vibrations/summer weather" stuff. I also think that track contains his best vocal of the album (even though it was recorded much earlier than the other ones).

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: June 01, 2012, 10:18:08 AM »

I went to best buy to see if they'd sell it to me early.  Their kiosk said they had it in stock, but on dice on selling it. Darn!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: June 01, 2012, 10:23:24 AM »

"Spring Vacation" really makes me want to hear the original lyrics. It's not hard to imagine them sing "Lay down burden" instead of "Spring vacation".

Have to admit the song is quite catchy no matter how trite the lyrics...
Digory Kirke
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3810 on: June 01, 2012, 10:27:28 AM »

Got it in Dublin!  New releases come out on Fridays here.
Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: June 01, 2012, 10:29:48 AM »

when's someone gonna post the chords to 'From There To Back Again'?  Grin

is there a special place on the forum for that shizzle?

Still Lurkin'
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: June 01, 2012, 10:32:26 AM »

I went to best buy to see if they'd sell it to me early.  Their kiosk said they had it in stock, but on dice on selling it. Darn!

I went to my local indie store after work yesterday.  The guy said that they had ordered several, but that it doesn't come out until Tuesday.  I asked if they would be getting them in earlier, and he just smiled and said, "Come back on the weekend."  I've got my fingers crossed for Saturday.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: June 01, 2012, 11:29:59 AM »

I think most stores get shipments in around Thursday or Friday for the Tuesday releases.

Indies will sometimes sell early. My hometown shop puts everything out Thursday afternoon for the following week. Very handy.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: June 01, 2012, 11:37:13 AM »

I think most stores get shipments in around Thursday or Friday for the Tuesday releases.

Indies will sometimes sell early. My hometown shop puts everything out Thursday afternoon for the following week. Very handy.

Thats exactly what mine does

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3815 on: June 01, 2012, 11:43:51 AM »

I can't find the leak and it's makin' me sad

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: June 01, 2012, 11:46:52 AM »

Yeah just thinking about Spring Vacation : wonder what the gospel version with Carl without shitty lyrics would have sounded like.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: June 01, 2012, 12:25:24 PM »

Well, of course the BBs aren't going to write about surf/sun exactly the way they did when they were 18 or whatever...they're friggin' 70! Unless you're that old dad from "Surfwise", it's not likely you're gonna be livin' the Cali life exactly as you were then. You're gonna do what you're able that this age. You're gonna write about what life you lived, what life passed you by, what went wrong, what can still go right, what might be fixable, what's left to look forward to. That's life, and life changes, like it or not.

There may be a little surface cheese that's grating (but mmmmm...grated cheeeeese...), but I hear a lot of true sentiments under the surface, as there nearly always has been with BB music.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: June 01, 2012, 12:29:18 PM »

Well, of course the BBs aren't going to write about surf/sun exactly the way they did when they were 18 or whatever...they're friggin' 70! Unless you're that old dad from "Surfwise", it's not likely you're gonna be livin' the Cali life exactly as you were then. You're gonna do what you're able that this age. You're gonna write about what life you lived, what life passed you by, what went wrong, what can still go right, what might be fixable, what's left to look forward to. That's life, and life changes, like it or not.

There may be a little surface cheese that's grating (but mmmmm...grated cheeeeese...), but I hear a lot of true sentiments under the surface, as there nearly always has been with BB music.

I'm just so glad that now they're focusing on writing lyrics with bunch of references to older songs, quality man.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: June 01, 2012, 12:38:14 PM »

It says "hit single" about TWGMTR on the CD case sticker. Is it a hit single?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: June 01, 2012, 12:41:19 PM »

Well, it's big in Japan.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: June 01, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »

A listed in the UK, charting in Japan, lots of US airplay, all over the web, doing great at the concerts....no, it's a miserable flop. They should change the sticker.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: June 01, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »

One thing that annoys me, why do the BB have to include these "tropical" elements like in "Daybreak Over the Ocean"?

For the exact same reason Van Dyke Parks toys around with a steel drum band and calypso rhythms. Because they fucking want to.

BTW, I have no problem with the Spring Vacation lyrics. I believe every single word they sing on it. They mean that stuff. And we'd be damned if a new BB album did not include its fair share of feel-good songs. We'd probably be bitching about it.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: June 01, 2012, 01:04:20 PM »

A listed in the UK, charting in Japan, lots of US airplay, all over the web, doing great at the concerts....no, it's a miserable flop. They should change the sticker.
No need for sarcasm. I honestly didn't know how it charted. The single hasn't even been released in Gemany yet.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: June 01, 2012, 01:08:02 PM »

"Waves of Love" sounds damn good nestled between "Shelter" and "Daybreak".

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156 157 158 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx