gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 04:25:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 154 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1067943 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: May 31, 2012, 04:57:47 PM »

Why don't we take some time on this thread to talk about the new album, and not Donny?
He has dominated this thread for several pages. I have remained calm, it is a simple question. Has he heard the album to formulate his opinion?

Let's just say I'm waiting for the vinyl to make my purchase.

I don't wish to 'dominate' this thread any longer, so I'll exit now. (The only reason for this perception of domination is that I have a strong opinion which is at odds with most people on the board.)

I'll see you guys in Berkely tomorrow !

You have a very strong opinion for something you have not heard in it's entirety as yet.
Maybe he has? He merely said he didn't make the purchase yet. I haven't, either.  Wink

Quote from: Slim Shady
I wish Mike went in a more introspective direction with his lyrics..

The man's been through so much just like the rest of the BB's in the last 20 years, would've been interesting to hear his thoughts on life etc
That would've been cool. But what (he thinks) sells is lyrics about fun in the summertime with girls, made up in 5 mins.  Sad
Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: May 31, 2012, 05:00:48 PM »

The man's been through so much just like the rest of the BB's in the last 20 years, would've been interesting to hear his thoughts on life etc

Was going to start a separate thread about the lyrics for this album, they really do seem godawful! I'm much more interested in harmony and melody anyway so it doesn't bother me that much, but jeez. I laughed when in the Joe Thomas interview he talks about how amazing it was that Mike Love wrote the lyric 'Spring Vacation, Good Vibrations/Summer weather, we're back together!' in 5 minutes - really?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:01:51 PM by Sea Devil » Logged

Still Lurkin'
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: May 31, 2012, 05:02:32 PM »

I was thinking this same exact thing when I was listening for the first time. What's the most introspective lyric Mike has ever written?
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: May 31, 2012, 05:03:34 PM »

I was thinking this same exact thing when I was listening for the first time. What's the most introspective lyric Mike has ever written?

Warmth Of The Sun? Or Meant For You, maybe.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3704 on: May 31, 2012, 05:06:19 PM »

Why don't we take some time on this thread to talk about the new album, and not Donny?
Why should everybody have to stamp any opinion with "this is my opinion?" Ridiculous. Live, let live. Man, this board is getting weird.

I will say that overall, I am enjoying the record and I only wish the suite at the end were longer and "Beaches in Mind" was replaced by something else. The fragments the end of "From Here to Back Again" are the single best Brian Wilson moment here, bar none.

Anyway, here are my thoughts for the first third of the album.

1) Think About the Days - Clearly influenced by "Our Prayer," but less in line with traditional non-SMiLe Beach Boys albums. This is the latest in a line of overtures since BWPS, including "That Lucky Old Sun" and "Rhapsody in Blue." A pretty melody, beautiful vocals. This also goes some way towards communicating to the listener that we can expect some beautiful 'artistic' BW songs later on. The title fits in with the album's theme of growing old and looking back (possibly with love).

2) That's Why God Made the Radio - A sterling single. Great care was clearly put into the arrangement, production and composition. My only real gripe is the bridge at the end, but what can you do... The album mix sounds different from the single mix. A prime example of Brian orchestrating with the Boys' voices.

3) Isn't it Time - Possibly my favorite track on the album outside of the suite. This should be heavily pushed for second single, and that's probably part of the reason that it's number 3 on the album and being played live by the Beach Boys now. I love the production motif, Al's vocal, Mike's vocal, Bruce's vocal... just perfect, classic Beach Boys. This could have been from the Sunflower era or the MIU era, but it explores a new sound for the Beach Boys all the same. The lyrics here are Mike's best job on the album. Brian's intro vocal is a bit rough compared to most of his recent material, but it smooths out. Love the breakdown.

4) Spring Vacation - This song was a huge disappointment to me when I first heard it, partly because the lyrics are inane and partly because I feared that the whole album would have this type of lyric. Fortunately, I was wrong on the second count. The lyrics by Brian and Mike mar an otherwise superb composition; the chords and the melodies they wrote are top-notch. It took me many listens to realize how Gosh Darn good this song is. Production and arrangement-wise, "Spring Vacation" is the most Joe Thomas-sounding song on the first side, but it is Thomas working within the idiom of a gospel arrangement, which he pulls off well. This will probably be the third single, hence the fourth track.

- B00ts
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3705 on: May 31, 2012, 05:10:10 PM »

"Beaches In Mind" is the worst of the bunch thus far imo, and even then has some redeeming qualities and isn't totally worthless. And hay, it only takes up two and a half minutes of the album. I only hope they can work Carl and Dennis in somewhere next time, but otherwise, pretty decent effort.

The "Just call" part of "From There To Back Again" is way too good. Probably my favorite song on the album.

Also, is that the sound of a storm I hear at the end of the record? Huge surprise, maybe even a bit grim, but a very, very nice touch. The picture this one paints is almost a bit much for me in being a reminder that these guys aren't gonna be around forever. So sad, but a really nice song - that matters above all, glad it made the album.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: May 31, 2012, 05:12:11 PM »

Some observations: there's hardly any prominent Bruce vocals and not enough of Jardine's still awesome voice (methinks). Brian sounds good, but not as inspired or "into it" (or whatever) as on his recent solo output (just listen to "Baby Mine" or "I've Got a Crush On You" for comparison). Mike is okay mostly, and pretty cool on "Daybreak" (I gotta admit). Dave apparently didn't record any vocals at all for this.

Bruce is prominent in the harmony. As much as the vocal sound became Carl-colored over the years, Bruce's voice has to do a lot with the current sound of the blend. He sings a few lead lines, plus some high falsettos. I think it's him doing the ooohs during the Bill and Sue chorus, for instance.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: May 31, 2012, 05:13:31 PM »

Glad to see I'm not the only one who had "Spring Vacation" grow on them, against all odds. It and "Isn't It Time" have been stuck in my head for days.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: May 31, 2012, 05:17:50 PM »

Can anyone work out who sings the high part in the main melody of TPLOBAS?
I know Brian is singing the majority but is Foskett taking over at that point?

Still Lurkin'
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: May 31, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »

I think it's him doing the ooohs during the Bill and Sue chorus, for instance.
You sure? Most of the obvious falsetto stuff sounds like Foskett, I'd say.

And anybody else think "Think About The Days" sounds like it could've been a vocal intro HOLLAND?  Smiley
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: May 31, 2012, 05:19:57 PM »

Can anyone work out who sings the high part in the main melody of TPLOBAS?
I know Brian is singing the majority but is Foskett taking over at that point?

That's what it sounds like to me. Sounds like Foskett does a line solo, then the next line is a BW / JF hybrid.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: May 31, 2012, 05:21:59 PM »

I feel like someone who took part in the recording said Bruce does quite a bit of falsetto and higher vocals on the album. Joe Thomas even said he generally sits right under Jeff in the blend.

Hate to say this, but there are a few really impressive, great-sounding falsetto or higher parts on this album. Given Jeff's history of grating my ears all to hell and Bruce's tendency to sound fantastic these days, I'm gonna guess Bruce did most or all of those goodery parts.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:24:03 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: May 31, 2012, 05:23:36 PM »

1- every time a new BW album has appeared fans had a great time arguing about just how much of it was produced by BW. This BB album is no exception.

2- unfamiliar and trendy production techniques are being used as exhibit A for proving that BW was overruled by Thomas.

3- lack of enough trademark BW production touches are exhibit B.

4- however, when BW's production touches appeared on previous albums, many of us stressed that actually it was the band members coming up with BW pastiche to cover up for him.

Bottomline: we know sh*t.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: May 31, 2012, 05:26:45 PM »

I think it's him doing the ooohs during the Bill and Sue chorus, for instance.

I think so. There's this thin L.A. Album-type falsetto all over the album. Keep in mind that it's Bruce the one who sings the wailing falsetto tag to Fun Fun Fun in concerts today. The guy can sing pretty high. And Jeff, although he sings most of the prominent falsettos, is doing Carl's parts in this album a lot of the time.

Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: May 31, 2012, 05:27:18 PM »

Hate to say this, but there are a few really impressive, great-sounding falsetto or higher parts on this album. Given Jeff's history of grating my ears all to hell and Bruce's tendency to sound fantastic these days, I'm gonna guess Bruce did most or all of those goodery parts.

Bloody wish he'd done the bridge in 'Isn't It Time'

Still Lurkin'
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: May 31, 2012, 05:28:33 PM »

While this has certainly happened before, to say we know sh*t is a bit of an exaggeration.

On that note, I cannot picture Brian sitting behind a monitor, laughing maniacally as he ups the attack and sensitivity knobs on the autotune setting, nor can I picture him saying, "FUCK YEAH I SOUND LIKE A ROBOT. KEEP IT," in response to hearing a few particularly bad spots on this album. Not to accuse the guy of not caring about his songs, but I'm sure there have been instances of someone saying, "Brian, do you like what I did there?" and Brian saying, "Sure. When's dinner?"

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: May 31, 2012, 05:28:37 PM »

Enjoying the album so far, huh?

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: May 31, 2012, 05:29:29 PM »

Totally agreed.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: May 31, 2012, 05:30:33 PM »

While this has certainly happened before, to say we know sh*t is a bit of an exaggeration.

On that note, I cannot picture Brian sitting behind a monitor, laughing maniacally as he ups the attack and sensitivity knobs on the autotune setting, nor can I picture him saying, "FUCK YEAH I SOUND LIKE A ROBOT. KEEP IT," in response to hearing a few particularly bad spots on this album. Not to accuse the guy of not caring about his songs, but I'm sure there have been instances of someone saying, "Brian, do you like what I did there?" and Brian saying, "Sure. When's dinner?"

We don't know, man. He fired Thomas once already.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: May 31, 2012, 05:32:19 PM »

Damn, so. In less than a year we've gotten an official release of The Smile Sessions, a 75-date Beach Boys w/ Brian tour, and a brand new Brian Wilson helmed Beach Boys album.

WHY AM I STILL SO UNHAPPY WITH MY LIFE?!  Cry

No mas, por favor.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3720 on: May 31, 2012, 05:33:02 PM »

Was it Brian who actually opted to fire Joe before? Not questioning, I'm sincerely asking - I don't know.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: May 31, 2012, 05:34:27 PM »

Damn, so. In less than a year we've gotten an official release of The Smile Sessions, a 75-date Beach Boys w/ Brian tour, and a brand new Brian Wilson helmed Beach Boys album.

Cheer up man. I mean, can't die from cannabis, however you could kill yourself why high i guess. If you want to kill yourself with a drug it can't be weed, anyhow more importantly don't kill yourself man no point.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: May 31, 2012, 05:36:28 PM »

Cheer up man. I mean, can't die from cannabis, however you could kill yourself why high i guess. If you want to kill yourself with a drug it can't be weed, anyhow more importantly don't kill yourself man no point.

Well, when you look at it that way!

No mas, por favor.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: May 31, 2012, 05:37:24 PM »

Was it Brian who actually opted to fire Joe before? Not questioning, I'm sincerely asking - I don't know.

On the recent Thomas thread Wirestone reposted Bob Hanes' account on the episode. It's enlightening about his leadership, I think.

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: May 31, 2012, 05:40:32 PM »

So, of course Mike had to include "Fun, Fun, Fun" in the lyrics to Beaches In Mind.

Gotta say, the way they stacked the harmonies was unexpected, therefore making that line decent enough.

Summer's Gone is my current fav. Very early-60's-"Surfer Girl"-era sounding.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 [149] 150 151 152 153 154 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx