gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:41:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 138 139 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1056020 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: May 28, 2012, 07:10:56 PM »

Tweet from huffington post clocktail blogger

Tony Sachs ‏@RetroManNYC
Heard the new Beach Boys album w/ Brian Wilson back in the fold. Aw, guys, you shouldn't have! No, seriously, you shouldn't have. #Ouch

Wow, with cutting edge comedy like that, he's sure to know what would make for good music.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: May 28, 2012, 07:57:10 PM »

Tony Sachs ‏@RetroManNYC
Heard the new Beach Boys album w/ Brian Wilson back in the fold. Aw, guys, you shouldn't have! No, seriously, you shouldn't have. #Ouch

Wow, with cutting edge comedy like that, he's sure to know what would make for good music.

Hope I don't offend anyone when I say the Huff Post is sort of a joke. No, not because this one guys doesn't like the new album.  Because, literally, it's a joke. Write your own stuff.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: May 28, 2012, 08:58:37 PM »

Does he write for Jay Leno?

Hey, I get that not everyone will like the album, but what a lame joke.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: May 28, 2012, 09:55:01 PM »

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy

...My wife is still laughing from this!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3329 on: May 29, 2012, 05:33:43 AM »

Just listened to the samples on walmart.com and it's cool to hear Al's voice so prominent on the intro of "Daybreak over the ocean". Although I think it was the part that Christian sang before. But Al sounds so great on that and it all makes it sound so Beach Boy-y

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: May 29, 2012, 06:24:17 AM »

Jeez, everyone is like taking out their guns as soon someone is saying something bad or joking about the new Beach Boys! chill guys, chill.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: May 29, 2012, 08:13:11 AM »

Nice how the melody on the Walmart sample of From There To Back Again starts just like I Wanna Pick You Up and Jeffrey Foskett didn't even veto it! Wink
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: May 29, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »

Tony Sachs ‏@RetroManNYC

Hope I don't offend anyone when I say the Huff Post is sort of a joke. No, not because this one guys doesn't like the new album.  Because, literally, it's a joke. Write your own stuff.

Well, I don't work for them so you're not offending me, but I will say a Pulitzer Prize is not a joke. Many in the writing game would kill to be that much of a joke.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3333 on: May 29, 2012, 08:43:18 AM »

Getting back to the paisley shirt issue from a few pages ago, and if this hasn't already been mentioned, those wanting to have the look of those shirts without paying $200+ for the "official" Robert Graham paisley shirt can consider this:

Available here (though currently out of stock...):

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/English-Laundry-by-John-Lennon-Mens-Paisley-Woven-Shirt/5255724/product.html

It's a nice shirt! I saw this 1966 photo of Lennon on a musicians' catalog sitting around my house:

And it reminded me of what people had posted in this thread, and it turned out there is a "John Lennon" paisley shirt on the market which looks like what the Beach Boys have been wearing on the current tour.

From a distance I really can't see much difference between the 30 dollar Lennon shirt and the 225 dollar Graham shirt...they both look like paisley shirts.  Cheesy

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: May 29, 2012, 08:44:25 AM »

I decided to give a 10 second listen on iTunes to some of the songs to make sure my expectatns werent too high. Oooof beaches in mind, that sounds pretty bad, same with strange world.  Strange world sounds like a 90s Disney song.  I chose the ones I sensed from reviews were poor and now with lowered expectations, I should enjoy the album more  Grin
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: May 29, 2012, 08:45:40 AM »

Shirt is out of stock - but it's a nice one!

For those of you with thrift/second hand stores, hit them up. That's where I find my vtg 60s shirts/pants/sweaters etc.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: May 29, 2012, 08:53:13 AM »

Jeez, everyone is like taking out their guns as soon someone is saying something bad or joking about the new Beach Boys! chill guys, chill.

I don't care what he said about the album really. It offended my sensibilities as a joke writer. And I think it's fair to say that I can't really respect a review that is solely a joke that was already old-fashioned before The Beach Boys released their first single.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: May 29, 2012, 09:04:25 AM »

I just listened to the Walmart samples and I beginning to like Isn't It Time the best and Beaches In Mind the least. Starting to get excited for June 5th? Me too.  Cheesy
malpakoza
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: May 29, 2012, 11:30:06 AM »

Heck heck out the Santa Barbara show thread for a full first live performance of isnt it time!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: May 29, 2012, 11:40:48 AM »

Heck heck out the Santa Barbara show thread for a full first live performance of isnt it time!

Thanks for the heads up!

I listened to the first half of it and loved it! I'm gonna wait to listen to the entire thing when I get the CD.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3340 on: May 29, 2012, 02:53:24 PM »

I just listened to the Walmart samples and I beginning to like Isn't It Time the best and Beaches In Mind the least. Starting to get excited for June 5th? Me too.  Cheesy

I think the acapella intro to Beaches In Mind is cool

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: May 29, 2012, 04:19:09 PM »

I thought it was amusing that Mike was a little unsure on the release date for the album at last night's show.  Hopefully he'll be on top of it a bit more soon!  LOL
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: May 29, 2012, 04:30:48 PM »

I thought it was amusing that Mike was a little unsure on the release date for the album at last night's show.  Hopefully he'll be on top of it a bit more soon!  LOL

I thought it was kind of relieving when I watched the video. Showed to me at least that he wasn't simply thinking of $$$ and selling albums.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: May 29, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »

The first Smile show I saw (Glasgow in early March '04), Brian introduced either Desert Drive, City Blues, or some GIOMH song as being off his new record. I forget the exact line, but he said something like "This is going to be on my new album, which is coming out ... actually I don't know when it will come out." Got quite a laugh.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: May 29, 2012, 04:47:43 PM »

Has a man ever dressed in a more ridiculous manner?

The answer is no.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3345 on: May 29, 2012, 04:58:03 PM »

Has a man ever dressed in a more ridiculous manner?

The answer is no.
No?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: May 29, 2012, 04:59:25 PM »

What's that ? a challenger ?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: May 29, 2012, 05:00:21 PM »

I had a tweet from the huffington cocktails blogger.  He said he greed with that review, the beach boys have always been corny, but the best beach boys has also been WEIRD.  new album: not weird.  i think he was referring to jon's/old rake's review
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: May 29, 2012, 05:08:28 PM »

Mh, good point i guess.. but then, you know, they're 70 years old guys..
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: May 29, 2012, 05:16:45 PM »

He wants wierd? Bill and Sue is pretty wierd.
Think About The Days and the last three tracks harken back to the "creative Brian period" every hipster adores.
Spring Vacation, Beaches In Mind have the good time beach sound covered.
Isn't It Time and Shelter highlight the classic 1965 pop sound from Today! and Summer Days.

Plenty of variety here!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 138 139 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx