gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:25:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1056038 times)
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: May 15, 2012, 10:51:39 AM »

I wish it wasn't sounding so much like a Brian album with the boys voices and lyrics added when the reunion came up. I do hope they do another album after that's a full collaboration from the start.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #2501 on: May 15, 2012, 10:58:38 AM »

good lord Iron-Horse, calm down.  I don't see anything in that guys post directed at your personally.

Well he quoted me before typing his bullsh*t, so yes, it was directed at me you idiot.

And this is directed at you

I'm fed up of these condecnding, belittling remarks being thrown around every time someone posts an opinion. You are a prime offender. You want to end a remark aimed at me with a dimissive "whatever", like some dimwitted 14 year old, then I'm going to take that as aggressive. If people throw the word "hate", or "hater" at me, then they're going to get some hate thrown back at them.

Pretty soon, all those of us who are fighting a losing battle at being respectful to one another are going to get fed up and leave. Then you idiots can have the place to yourselves, and you're welcome to it.

And don't you dare tell me to calm down you patronising twat.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: May 15, 2012, 11:04:52 AM »

good lord Iron-Horse, calm down.  I don't see anything in that guys post directed at your personally.

Well he quoted me before typing his bullsh*t, so yes, it was directed at me you idiot.

I'm fed up of these condecnding, belittling remarks being thrown around every time someone posts an opinion. You are a prime offender. You want to end a remark aimed at me with a dimissive "whatever", like some dimwitted 14 year old, then I'm going to take that as aggressive. If people throw the word "hate", or "hater" at me, then they're going to get some hate thrown back at them.

Pretty soon, all those of us who are fighting a losing battle at being respectful to one another are going to get fed up and leave. Then you idiots can have the place to yourselves, and you're welcome to it.

And don't you dare tell me to calm down you patronising twat.

YEAH!!! YEAH!!!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: May 15, 2012, 11:10:25 AM »

good lord Iron-Horse, calm down.  I don't see anything in that guys post directed at your personally.

And don't you dare tell me to calm down you patronising twat

Dude, i think you should calm down.  My "whatever" was me deciding not respond because i thought your comment was ungrateful of what you're getting.  You said I was "threatened" by you, i chose not to respond to that.  You start calling someone names because he didn't get some of the "hate" he was seeing, and i even said later that "hate" was the wrong word.  Saying "whatever" isn't aggressive, that means i'm not gonna try and make a big deal out of it.  But now here you are calling me a patronizing twat and others an "idiot".  

You talk about some "battle" and that the board is losing cause of "hate", well these last few posts by you have been some of the most spiteful i've read on the board.  So maybe you should think about what you're saying.

You're not being respectful at all, you're calling people names when nobody else has called you one.  The reason why I was dismissive of what you said was because it seemed ungrateful.  The Beach Boys are releasing an album in less than a month, and i highly doubt they're doing it for themselves, they're doing it for their fans.  For you to say "i hear autotune, i'm not gonna buy it" is really harsh, and i don't appreciate reading someone being dismissive about something they did for us.  They don't owe you anything.  If you're going to pout about it, then don't tell us about it.  

if i said something to somebody else that offended them, then i'll apologize to them (and check what i post from now on, since i'm being accused of being hateful)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:13:13 AM by Runaways » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: May 15, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »

But man, saying you don't appreciate reading someone else's opinions, calling them ungrateful and telling him not to share them is not respectful in any manner. I do not understand why folks think because they may not use profanity, that their passive-aggressive insults are any less offensive.

SBonilla
« Reply #2505 on: May 15, 2012, 11:15:50 AM »

"I don't love it," as the English A&R guys used to say. It's orthodox MOR and sterile sounding as all get out.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: May 15, 2012, 11:20:21 AM »

THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS GUYS!!!!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: May 15, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »

But man, saying you don't appreciate reading someone else's opinions, calling them ungrateful and telling him not to share them is not respectful in any manner. I do not understand why folks think because they may not use profanity, that their passive-aggressive insults are any less offensive.

i'm not being passive aggressive at all.  I said he was being ungrateful, nothing passive aggressive about that.  Also nothing passive aggressive about not wanting to hear pouting.  I'm being straight forward about this without having to call someone names.  He's free to post whatever he likes, my initial response to him wasn't some long rant, i let it go.  I personally think name-calling is really low, so I try not to do that because I don't know any of you guys.  
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: May 15, 2012, 11:22:26 AM »

I don't know for sure what they are doing to Brian's vocals; autotune, reverb, echo? Whatever it is, I hope they keep on doing it. I thought he did great on the Gershwin album, but he sounds even better here.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: May 15, 2012, 11:24:41 AM »

I wish it wasn't sounding so much like a Brian album with the boys voices and lyrics added when the reunion came up. I do hope they do another album after that's a full collaboration from the start.

But that's what some of the best Beach Boys albums are! The other guys hardly collaborated at all on Pet Sounds or Smile. Brian made the tracks and they came in to sing on them. (Not saying this album will be PS or Smile, but still.)

I don't know for sure what they are doing to Brian's vocals; autotune, reverb, echo? Whatever it is, I hope they keep on doing it. I thought he did great on the Gershwin album, but he sounds even better here.

Well, the Gershwin album was him working hard in the studio -- with some pitch correction on notes here and there (or many notes, like in TLILY). This seems to be tuning, reverb, everything in the book thrown at his voice. (Also some doubling with Jeff.)

But you're right ... he does sound pretty good!
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: May 15, 2012, 11:25:34 AM »

God I hate Daybreak etc etc.  Hated it on the solo album. Hate it now.  There were better tracks he could've used.

Still... My overriding feeiling is this should've happened years ago, but thank God they got together before it was too late. For all their brilliance, so much of their career has been a tragic waste.

Honk! Honk!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: May 15, 2012, 11:25:56 AM »

i'm not being passive aggressive at all.  I said he was being ungrateful, nothing passive aggressive about that.  Also nothing passive aggressive about not wanting to hear pouting.  I'm being straight forward about this without having to call someone names.  He's free to post whatever he likes, my initial response to him wasn't some long rant, i let it go.  I personally think name-calling is really low, so I try not to do that because I don't know any of you guys.  

There is no difference in offense between calling someone a "name" and telling them their opinion is unwelcome. The type of person who would not agree is someone who wants to be able to say anything they want to others, and not get called on it. That is an Internet phenomenon. Language matters less than intention.

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: May 15, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »

The new album is win/win for me!

I've related this story before.  Brian's album Imagination is what actually turned me into a Brian and later a Beach Boys fan.  Honestly, before Imagination, I really didn't know Brian Wilson from Mr. Wilson on Dennis the Menace...... On this board, I talked about Imagination so much that someone finally asked me if I was Joe Thomas.  (I'm not.)  LOL !

So wayway, the Joe Thomas involvement is welcome by me!

Trying.
To.
Resist.
Playing.
Samples.

ARGHH

where's that posse?

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: May 15, 2012, 11:31:02 AM »

As much I like their later work and all, the best Beach Boys (with maybe Sunflower as an exceptrion) were the ALL BRIAN albums up through Wild Honey. His Music, his production, their voices; seems to work just about every time.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2514 on: May 15, 2012, 11:31:21 AM »

I wonder why they didn't take Adrian Baker's vocals off "Daybreak over the ocean" and record new ones. Or did they do that only letting Baker's voice stay in ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: May 15, 2012, 11:32:58 AM »

There is no difference in offense between calling someone a "name" and telling them their opinion is unwelcome. The type of person who would not agree is someone who wants to be able to say anything they want to others, and not get called on it. That is an Internet phenomenon. Language matters less than intention.

That's fine if that's what you think, i know i've seen you call people names, myself included, it seems you have your own perspective on it and i have mine.  I don't care if you call it an "internet phenomenon", that's what i do in real life too.  I said i didn't have time to get into an opinion that dismisses something made for them because they didn't like part of it, and i stand by that.  I'm not saying his opinion is worth less than mine, because it absolutely is not, i think i got into an argument with fishmonk over that. but if someone is gonna dismiss my favorite band, then i'm gonna say something.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: May 15, 2012, 11:35:09 AM »

As much I like their later work and all, the best Beach Boys (with maybe Sunflower as an exceptrion) were the ALL BRIAN albums up through Wild Honey. His Music, his production, their voices; seems to work just about every time.

I may be in the minority, but i think i'd take Surf's Up over wild honey  Grin

that said, brian + beach boys makes everything better. 
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: May 15, 2012, 11:38:56 AM »

That's fine if that's what you think

In fact, my point was proved by the effect upon IHA of what you said. HE gets to decide the impact of your words, not you. You just want to say otherwise because you want people to like you. I don't, therefore I'm truthful about what I say.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: May 15, 2012, 11:42:54 AM »

I'm kind of really stoked for this now. I just wish they were the iTunes minute & a half samples instead of the 30 second ones. Definitely missing Carl vocals,  but hearing Brian, Al & Mike singing together on the same track.  Grin That's dope.

No mas, por favor.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: May 15, 2012, 11:48:36 AM »

i'm not being passive aggressive at all.  I said he was being ungrateful, nothing passive aggressive about that.  Also nothing passive aggressive about not wanting to hear pouting.  I'm being straight forward about this without having to call someone names.  He's free to post whatever he likes, my initial response to him wasn't some long rant, i let it go.  I personally think name-calling is really low, so I try not to do that because I don't know any of you guys. 

In fact, my point was proved by the effect upon IHA of what you said. HE gets to decide the impact of your words, not you. You just want to say otherwise because you want people to like you. I don't, therefore I'm truthful about what I say.

hey, can you guys all take your fight outside?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2520 on: May 15, 2012, 11:50:09 AM »

it's true, i'd prefer not to offend people when i don't mean to, ya got me.  He can decide how he wants to take what i said, but i think i have more say in what i actually meant, don't you think?  You can say what you want about me, but ugh, it just seems arrogant.  I still appreciate you pointing us to that board you plug, and i think we can agree neither of us really care that much about continuing this discussion.  
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: May 15, 2012, 11:50:16 AM »

The new album is win/win for me!

I've related this story before.  Brian's album Imagination is what actually turned me into a Brian and later a Beach Boys fan.  Honestly, before Imagination, I really didn't know Brian Wilson from Mr. Wilson on Dennis the Menace...... On this board, I talked about Imagination so much that someone finally asked me if I was Joe Thomas.  (I'm not.)  LOL !

So wayway, the Joe Thomas involvement is welcome by me!

Trying.
To.
Resist.
Playing.
Samples.

ARGHH

where's that posse?

Right here witcha!   Smokin

I know myself too well. I'll end up playing the samples until the sound is worn out to me! I did that with Surf's Up '67. Recorded my own version of the arrangement and everything before I even heard the full track, lol.

Granted, these are new songs and I don't think ~30 seconds would spoil it entirely.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: May 15, 2012, 11:51:38 AM »

I know you have all been waiting. Here is my verdict:

1. Think About The Days - 9/10 (could have been written by Benny Andersson)
2. That's Why God Made The Radio - 5/10 (too pedestrian)
3. Isn't It Time - 4/10 (bland)
4. Spring Vacation - 6/10 (great verses, lousy chorus)
5. The Private Life Of Bill And Sue - 8/10 (I am a sucker for this song)
6. Shelter - 7/10 (shows some promise, the chorus is similar to Darlin')
7. Daybreak Over The Ocean - 8/10 (I liked this one on the Mike Love, Not War album)
8. Beaches In Mind - 3/10 (I've got 3/10 in mind)
9. Strange World - 3/10 (Not my cup of milk)
10. From There To Back Again - 6/10 (introspective looking back type of lyrics)
11. Pacific Coast Highway - 7/10 (introspective looking back type of lyrics again)
12. Summer's Gone - 8/10 (introspective looking back type of lyrics again again)

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: May 15, 2012, 11:51:45 AM »

I wonder why they didn't take Adrian Baker's vocals off "Daybreak over the ocean" and record new ones. Or did they do that only letting Baker's voice stay in ?

I said the same thing in the Amazon clip thread.  So far my only real complaint on the album.  Like that C. Love is on there, but that would have been a great place to also add M. Jardine.   Adrian Baker  is just going to stick out like a really sore and infected thumb on this thing  

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: May 15, 2012, 11:51:50 AM »

God I hate Daybreak etc etc.  Hated it on the solo album. Hate it now.  There were better tracks he could've used.

Still... My overriding feeiling is this should've happened years ago, but thank God they got together before it was too late. For all their brilliance, so much of their career has been a tragic waste.

I think the timing of this is pretty good actually!  There's a lot of love for the group, and i think they're all more welcoming to this than say 10 years ago.  i'd rather this happen now, as far separated from the 80s as possible.  Their legacy is pretty well repaired
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:54:14 AM by Runaways » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx