gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:27:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055739 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: May 14, 2012, 04:52:48 PM »

The first song is OK, but I really don't like the production on these tracks at all. It's just way too slick... like we're hearing from cartoon versions of the Beach Boys rather than the real people. I'll certainly buy the album and give it a fair listen, but this sounds to me like it will date the same way Beach Boys 85 did.

Well, really, what was expected?  The guys singing around a campfire recorded on an 8-track? Some people really set themselves up for disapointment, I guess.

Something like the sound of Brian's last few solo albums was what I was expecting, and would have been much better than what we've got, as far as I can tell from those lossy streams. For that matter, much of Al's solo album is much better-sounding than this, production-wise.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: May 14, 2012, 04:53:17 PM »

yeah i don't know what people are expecting, Brian's music has always been slick for the time ._.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: May 14, 2012, 04:59:17 PM »

to expect Brian to record a lp of material in a finished polished manner is just not realistic. Brian creates demos/song sketches, and that is all he's mainly done for 30 + years. Brian needs someone to finish/polish his music , be it Joe Thomas, or Scott and Darian or whoever Brian is close to at that time. Closest thing to a Brian finished production was Love You back in 1977, and even that included a ton of extra work by Carl before it saw the light of day.

I like what I've heard here so far... SV is pretty light weight, but at least it feels radio friendly.

cheers

Doc Smiley
(imho)

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: May 14, 2012, 05:02:18 PM »

Eh. We're not on a Misfits forum or something, but there's the expected liberal amount of slick and then there's over-the-top slick, which some of this stuff flirts with if not does outright. Can't believe good ol' B-Pain makes an appearance on this record Sad

I don't understand all the hyperbole. It's not ultra slick production and autotune versus Brian's muddiest mono mix of the 60s - there is a happy middle ground to be found.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: May 14, 2012, 05:11:49 PM »

I don't understand all the hyperbole. It's not ultra slick production and autotune versus Brian's muddiest mono mix of the 60s - there is a happy middle ground to be found.
Exactly.

And I agree with Hickey that Al's Postcard sounds way better production-wise than the 3 tracks I've heard off TWGMTR.

But yeah, that's just how it is and what we're gonna get. And I'm still positive that we're gonna get a good album. It's just that to a fan of the timeless and well-aged stuff the Beach Boys did in the 60s and 70s and to a music lover in general this mainstreamed production style (that tries to cover as many target groups as possible while taking absolutely no risks creatively) is a huge disappointment when applied to his/her favourite band.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: May 14, 2012, 05:12:07 PM »

Eh. We're not on a Misfits forum or something, but there's the expected liberal amount of slick and then there's over-the-top slick, which some of this stuff flirts with if not does outright. Can't believe good ol' B-Pain makes an appearance on this record Sad

Right, and according to the people who have ACTUALLY HEARD IT, this happy middle ground is probably right here on this album...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
dumbangel76
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: May 14, 2012, 05:53:50 PM »

I like what I hear so far! I will wait to pass judgement till I hear the whole album! I cannot wait!!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: May 14, 2012, 05:54:43 PM »

i think people should listen to more modern music before they say these songs have modern "slickness"
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: May 14, 2012, 05:56:47 PM »

So: anyone can figure out David's voice in these two songs?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: May 14, 2012, 06:01:05 PM »

i think people should listen to more modern music before they say these songs have modern "slickness"

I mean, we could have gotten something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpFMuBHxGWs

^art.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: May 14, 2012, 06:04:20 PM »

I mean, we could have gotten something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpFMuBHxGWs

^art.

seriously.  I put my nice headphones on and listen to Cee Lo Green's last album and i'm appalled at how un-pleasant the headphones made it.  I put TWGMTR on and it sounds better than normal headphones, that tells me the mastering is ok
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: May 14, 2012, 06:10:42 PM »

Someone already said this, but SV could have easily fit onto Summer in Paradise. Good thing I love all things Beach Boys and love Summer in Paradise! Yeah, that's right. I love SIP. You gotta problem wit dat??  Razz
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: May 14, 2012, 06:15:27 PM »

Someone already said this, but SV could have easily fit onto Summer in Paradise. Good thing I love all things Beach Boys and love Summer in Paradise! Yeah, that's right. I love SIP. You gotta problem wit dat??  Razz

Yes. I do. Parking lot after school at 3. Be there.

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: May 14, 2012, 06:16:49 PM »

i can already imagine how many review blurbs will be "beach boys new album hits all aspects of their career, the highs and the lows"  Roll Eyes
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: May 14, 2012, 06:19:27 PM »

This is slightly off topic but I was just watching this video and It really made me feel even more happy about this new album and having the beach boys back on tour..

Their music means so much to people young and old. Best band of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVmhw7X7kzs

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: May 14, 2012, 06:39:18 PM »

I like Spring Vacation.

So yeah.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: May 14, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »

Agayn, why so much hyperbole? That Lucky Old Sun didn't sound too bad (albeit not without a few faults), and the Gershwin album was a bit better, at that. Middle ground. There aren't only two production styles and sounds, it's not a matter of the songs sounding exactly like "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" versus "Tik Tok" by Kesha.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: May 14, 2012, 07:10:51 PM »

We have a 12-track album. So far we've heard three tracks, all of which sound somewhat different. We have the ambient-sounding opener, the heavily tuned (and somewhat silly) SV, and the more natural (at least instrumentally) TWGMTR. They are all different enough that I'm not comfortable even judging what the final album will sound like. Will it be more Imagination-y? More TLOS-y? Who knows!
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: May 14, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »

Exactly.

And I agree with Hickey that Al's Postcard sounds way better production-wise than the 3 tracks I've heard off TWGMTR.

But yeah, that's just how it is and what we're gonna get. And I'm still positive that we're gonna get a good album. It's just that to a fan of the timeless and well-aged stuff the Beach Boys did in the 60s and 70s and to a music lover in general this mainstreamed production style (that tries to cover as many target groups as possible while taking absolutely no risks creatively) is a huge disappointment when applied to his/her favourite band.

I'd have loved them to get Jason Brewer of The Explorers Club to help produce and maybe even write.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: May 14, 2012, 07:20:34 PM »

I couldn't have wished for a more amazing opener then "Think..."

Honestly, love the brass at the end!

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: May 14, 2012, 07:24:23 PM »

Exactly.

I'd have loved them to get Jason Brewer of The Explorers Club to help produce and maybe even write.

Barf.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: May 14, 2012, 07:25:34 PM »

Agayn, why so much hyperbole? That Lucky Old Sun didn't sound too bad (albeit not without a few faults), and the Gershwin album was a bit better, at that. Middle ground. There aren't only two production styles and sounds, it's not a matter of the songs sounding exactly like "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" versus "Tik Tok" by Kesha.

I only posted the Kesha link to be humorous.  Again, as I stated in the other thread, I am right with you in the middle ground.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: May 14, 2012, 07:44:06 PM »

I only posted the Kesha link to be humorous.  Again, as I stated in the other thread, I am right with you in the middle ground.

I hate myself.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: May 14, 2012, 07:50:06 PM »

I hate myself.

Confused.  Huh

mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: May 14, 2012, 07:53:22 PM »

The first song is OK, but I really don't like the production on these tracks at all. It's just way too slick... like we're hearing from cartoon versions of the Beach Boys rather than the real people. I'll certainly buy the album and give it a fair listen, but this sounds to me like it will date the same way Beach Boys 85 did.

Well, really, what was expected?  The guys singing around a campfire recorded on an 8-track? Some people really set themselves up for disapointment, I guess.

So, you're saying there was no other option available to them, either lo-fi or this? Or you're just trying to make me out to be totally unreasonable? I do listen to "modern" music, and it doesn't need to be produced like this. The voices sound completely processed to my ears and I find that disappointing. You don't have to agree with me, but the fact that I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm a bitter person.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx