gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:05:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055758 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: May 14, 2012, 01:07:14 PM »

BRIAN IS SINGING FALSETTO AGAIN. HOLY sh*t.

May I ask where you hear that? I listened to both songs at work, but not at a very high volume, and not with my full attention, for obvious reasons.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: May 14, 2012, 01:08:48 PM »

You can hear it (albeit heavily autotuned) on Think About The Days

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: May 14, 2012, 01:12:11 PM »

In an ideal dream, a new BB album has songs written, recorded and sung by all the BB al a Sunflower, Friends, etc. If this is more their singing over Brian songs, with some BB musical accompanyment, such as Dave's playing, then I will not have gotten all I want.

You mean like Pet Sounds? Where Brian wrote all the songs while the guys were on the road, tracked nearly all of it without them, and then just did some vocal sessions to finish it?

I agree, the group album is a nice idea, but a lot of the group's classic LPs are nearly all written by Brian.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: May 14, 2012, 01:13:49 PM »

"Easy money"
Thank you. That's a pretty funny line actually. Reminds me of 'Life's Been Good'.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: May 14, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »

In an ideal dream, a new BB album has songs written, recorded and sung by all the BB al a Sunflower, Friends, etc. If this is more their singing over Brian songs, with some BB musical accompanyment, such as Dave's playing, then I will not have gotten all I want.

You mean like Pet Sounds? Where Brian wrote all the songs while the guys were on the road, tracked nearly all of it without them, and then just did some vocal sessions to finish it?

I agree, the group album is a nice idea, but a lot of the group's classic LPs are nearly all written by Brian.

can you imagine how this board would kill him for such a concept today?  At least Joe Thomas isn't a jingle writer, I guess...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: May 14, 2012, 01:17:16 PM »

Mike gets some credits because he's the other power player in this. Everybody else is just happy to be along for the ride (does anyone think that Al would storm out if the song he already released on his solo album isn't on the group's album? ... I didn't think so).

I'm delighted. Not necessarily because Joe is credited on nearly everything, but because it means that most of this album was written and tracks as a BW project, with Joe and Jeff along for the ride. That gives it a lot more potential artistic coherence than a slapped-together bunch of tracks from each of the guys.

Personally, I am delighted too that Brian's camp appears to have artistic control/final say, based on the quality of the past several BW albums, and based on what we've heard so far.  

My main point about Al is that he must be a little disappointed not to have a song - or songwriting royalties - on the Beach Boys' big comeback album.  Even though (IIRC) he is an equal member of BRI, and he was part of the recording and performing group for well over 30 years, his name is tellingly on the 2nd line of credits on the concert marketing, and so far none of his songs have made it in the setlist.  I surmise he may not have much say in the choices being made.  
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: May 14, 2012, 01:20:01 PM »

I surmise he may not have much say in the choices being made.  

He is part of a group of people who made the choice to give Brian's camp the reins. So that means this album is in good company.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: May 14, 2012, 01:24:27 PM »

just called QVC about ordering the album; they have no item # yet but will tomorrow; QVC orders start when the show starts at 4pm LA time on wednesday.  They were thus not sure yet if the album will ship right away or at a later date, so I think we do not know if buying the album at QVC gets us the album sooner or if the motivation will have to be to get whatever the bonus is.

Okay, but for those who absolutely must have a "Beach Boys" fix, and have it NOW, QVC does have this one ready to go on their website.   angel

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.H144553.desc.Copa-Judaica-Beach-Boys-Menorah
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2308 on: May 14, 2012, 01:25:07 PM »

My main point about Al is that he must be a little disappointed not to have a song - or songwriting royalties - on the Beach Boys' big comeback album.  

I agree that Al has deserved some more attention in concert for he was really trying to get the band back together as soon as 2006. But maybe his songs were not good enough/not fitting the feeling of the record (apart from the possibility that the contract asks for so and so percent Brian Wilson-tunes).

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: May 14, 2012, 01:25:50 PM »

Spring Vacation
(Wilson / Love / Van Halen / Peterik / Bon Jovi / Cobain)

Mike:

Driving around
Living the dream
I'm cruising the town
Digging the scene

I'm not gonna stress
I'm not gonna worry
Doing our best,
No need to hurry.

Looking ahead
With anticipation
Making each day
A new celebration

Bruce:

Seems like it could
Go on forever
Long as we can
All stay together

Mike and Brian?:

We used to get around
Get up and hit up
All the hot spots in town

Brian:

Spring vacation
Good vibration
Summer weather
We're back together

Easy money
Ain't life funny
Hey what's it to you,
Hallelujah

Mike:

As for the past,
It's all behind us
Happier now,
Look where life finds us

Singing our songs
Is enough reason
Harmony boys
It's what we believe in

Mike and Brian?

Some said it wouldn't last
All we can say is
We're still having a blast

Brian:

(Chorus)

Mike:

Every night a special occasion
Huh? Don't take much persuasion

(Solo)
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: May 14, 2012, 01:26:31 PM »

I love Al Jardine as much as anybody (trust me), but this is simple--you want an Al Jardine album or a Brian Wilson album?  Seems to me even the Beach Boys had a pretty easy time making THAT decsion. And by the way, doubt there was any record label interested in a Beach Boys album NOT written and produced by Brian Wilson (see, SIP).

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: May 14, 2012, 01:37:47 PM »

I surmise he may not have much say in the choices being made.  

He is part of a group of people who made the choice to give Brian's camp the reins. So that means this album is in good company.

Good point; he must have known when he signed up what the power structure was and agreed to it.  And don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have BW songs rather than Al songs, and Capitol is, too.  I'm sure he's able to mitigate any disappointment he may have for not getting more credit with his checks from the tour.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: May 14, 2012, 01:38:55 PM »

I also think Al is the one who (along with Brian) has speculated most openly about a follow-up album.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2313 on: May 14, 2012, 01:46:04 PM »

"Easy money
Ain't life funny
Hey what's it to you,
Hallelujah"

this is actually one of the most amazingly terrible lyrics in the history of music.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: May 14, 2012, 01:46:44 PM »

I think a song contribution from David was a long shot. Welcomed, but a long shot.

Due to Al being an original member, having a history of some quality BB songs, and having recently been recording on his own, I expected a song from him, even just for an extra Al Jardine lead vocal. However, it would've been bizarre if they included a track (bonus or otherwise) from A Postcard From California.

I am very surprised that Bruce was not represented. He has written two standards (whether we like one of them or not), Bruce has been the "good soldier" and continued along as The Beach Boys (with Mike) all these years, and was usually good for a song per album. Bruce always considered himself a songwriter first, and he must have several good ones stockpiled. A remake of "She Believes In Love Again" was not the way to go.

I don't think this new album is going to clock in at much over thirty minutes, if that. As a selfish fan, I was hoping for a song or two more. Maybe next album Al, Bruce, and Dave will be represented songwriting-wise. Cheesy

I believe Joe Thomas could've integrated the others' songs into a cohesive album. When it was first announced that Joe would be contributing, there was quite a bit of head scratching. Who would've thought his contribution would be so great? From what I've heard and seen so far, I don't view him as "along for the ride". I think he was driving the bus!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2315 on: May 14, 2012, 01:47:36 PM »

"Easy money
Ain't life funny
Hey what's it to you,
Hallelujah"

this is actually one of the most amazingly terrible lyrics in the history of music.

It reminds me of
"fun is in
it's no sin
it's that time again"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: May 14, 2012, 01:49:56 PM »

"Easy money
Ain't life funny
Hey what's it to you,
Hallelujah"

I think it shows a refreshing amount of self-knowledge and reflexivity. That verse is actually what sold me on the song as a whole. Reminds me of a Warren Zevon lyric.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: May 14, 2012, 01:51:30 PM »

From what I've heard and seen so far, I don't view him as "along for the ride". I think he was driving the bus!

I think there is a lot more to know regarding this album that we will find out sooner or later.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:53:02 PM by I. Spaceman » Logged

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: May 14, 2012, 01:53:09 PM »

It does seem like, if they wanted to, they could pretty easily put together another album with material that is already written. If Brian doesn't have any "new" material, he could always dip into the Paley stockpile and pull out "You're Still a Mystery" and "Dancing the Night Away" I'm sure, or possibly some things from around the BWPS thru TLOS era. And Mike still has material that would be decent on a Beach Boys album, such as "Cool Head, Warm Heart" or maybe "Too Cruel". And I'm assuming they already recorded "Waves of Love" from Al, and possibly "Islands in the Sun". And Ronald Reagan redid "She Believes in Love Again", which I suppose would be interesting enough if they decided to release it. And of course, maybe even some Dave stuff.

I personally think it'd be great if they resumed as a fully-functioning recording entity, with Brian committing his material to The Beach Boys instead of a solo career, especially because it'll probably gain him a larger audience. Whether that happens, well I kinda doubt it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2319 on: May 14, 2012, 01:54:47 PM »

It does seem like, if they wanted to, they could pretty easily put together another album with material that is already written. If Brian doesn't have any "new" material, he could always dip into the Paley stockpile and pull out "You're Still a Mystery" and "Dancing the Night Away" I'm sure, or possibly some things from around the BWPS thru TLOS era. And Mike still has material that would be decent on a Beach Boys album, such as "Cool Head, Warm Heart" or maybe "Too Cruel". And I'm assuming they already recorded "Waves of Love" from Al, and possibly "Islands in the Sun". And Ronald Reagan redid "She Believes in Love Again", which I suppose would be interesting enough if they decided to release it. And of course, maybe even some Dave stuff.

I personally think it'd be great if they resumed as a fully-functioning recording entity, with Brian committing his material to The Beach Boys instead of a solo career, especially because it'll probably gain him a larger audience. Whether that happens, well I kinda doubt it.

I believe some vocal were recorded for a David-song during the sessions for this album

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: May 14, 2012, 02:01:10 PM »

I don't think this new album is going to clock in at much over thirty minutes, if that. As a selfish fan, I was hoping for a song or two more. Maybe next album Al, Bruce, and Dave will be represented songwriting-wise. Cheesy

Here are the track timings. It looks to be 36 minutes or so.

1. Think About The Days (1:27)
2. That’s Why God Made The Radio (3:19)
3. Isn’t It Time (3:45)
4. Spring Vacation (3:07)
5. The Private Life Of Bill And Sue (4:17)
6. Shelter (3:02)
7. Daybreak Over The Ocean (4:20)
8. Beaches In Mind (2:38)
9. Strange World (3:03)
10. From There To Back Again (3:23)
11. Pacific Coast Highway (1:52)
12. Summer’s Gone (4:40)

From what I've heard and seen so far, I don't view him as "along for the ride". I think he was driving the bus!

I think there is a lot more to know regarding this album that we will find out sooner or later.

This is doubtless true. When I said "along for the ride," I simply meant that this was originally described as a Brian-Joe-Jeff project. They were recording throughout last year. Brian's new compositions seem to include Shelter, Bill and Sue and Think About the Days. And some extra work on the old demo of TWGMTR. But yeah, it seems like Joe was a real linchpin to all of this. But it's not just as a co-writer or producer -- he's intimately involved in the staging too, I think.

"Easy money
Ain't life funny
Hey what's it to you,
Hallelujah"

I think it shows a refreshing amount of self-knowledge and reflexivity. That verse is actually what sold me on the song as a whole. Reminds me of a Warren Zevon lyric.

It strikes me as the most Brian-like moment of the lyric, too.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: May 14, 2012, 02:04:29 PM »

Poems everybody! The laddie reckons himself a poet!

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: May 14, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »

Here are the track timings. It looks to be 36 minutes or so.

1. Think About The Days (1:27)
2. That’s Why God Made The Radio (3:19)
3. Isn’t It Time (3:45)
4. Spring Vacation (3:07)
5. The Private Life Of Bill And Sue (4:17)
6. Shelter (3:02)
7. Daybreak Over The Ocean (4:20)
8. Beaches In Mind (2:38)
9. Strange World (3:03)
10. From There To Back Again (3:23)
11. Pacific Coast Highway (1:52)
12. Summer’s Gone (4:40)

Thanks for the times, Wirestone. I am PLEASANTLY surprised! police
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: May 14, 2012, 02:12:48 PM »

7. Daybreak Over The Ocean (4:20)    Smokin

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: May 14, 2012, 02:13:39 PM »

well i tried posting on the record room but it said i didn't have permission.  I'll just say i'm not surprised at all by the songwriting credits.  I just hope Brian did indeed have a hand in writing the tunes he's credited for
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx