gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 04:58:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1067960 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: May 09, 2012, 03:38:51 AM »

Not me.

Thanks for the clarification.  Before that I was under the impression that you had provided lyrics for the new album.

Roll Eyes

A common misapprehension.

Cor! Blimey! For years I thought that Doe is a nickname for Tony 'Tones' Asher...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: May 09, 2012, 04:12:29 AM »

Aan Gyke Darks, surely…

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: May 09, 2012, 07:14:10 AM »

The new album is currently sitting at #17 on the amazon top 100 chart..

Impressive stuff

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: May 09, 2012, 07:39:04 AM »

The new album is currently sitting at #17 on the amazon top 100 chart..

Impressive stuff

It had been dropping and was in the 60's.  Looks like the Fallon appearance was a boost

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: May 09, 2012, 08:47:45 AM »

If this album is a smash, what are the realistic chances they actually do a follow-up? I know Brian still wants to do his 'rock n' roll' album, and although there's no better time than now to make that a reality, there seem to be indications that "TWGMTR" is the perfect swan song.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: May 09, 2012, 08:56:47 AM »

If this album is a smash, what are the realistic chances they actually do a follow-up? I know Brian still wants to do his 'rock n' roll' album, and although there's no better time than now to make that a reality, there seem to be indications that "TWGMTR" is the perfect swan song.

I am in two minds about this. On the one hand, the 'swan song' idea may be apt. On the other... I wrote earlier that I am quite partial to the more hoarse, soulful voice Mike's equipped with nowadays; there is an ace band, the best that ever backed the boys IMHO (Cowsill, Bragg, Sahanaja, all others bar Stamos); and there may be quite some unfinished songs that deserve to see the light of day (I am thinking the cover of 'Proud Mary', with those rising and falling choruses, from the Paley days).

Who knows? I wouldn't pass up an invitation to come to Pleasure Island, no siree...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:39:21 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: May 09, 2012, 09:25:05 AM »

If the new the album is a success, then I see no reason not to continue in the studio if they are all up for it. That Rock n Roll album (if it ever comes to fruition) is a much better vehicle for The Beach Boys, than as a Brian Wilson solo effort.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: May 09, 2012, 09:32:55 AM »

another tweet for the curious

Mike Mineo ‏ @ObscureSound
new Beach Boys album has its highs and lows... but the highs - like "Shelter" and "Isn't It Time" - are really brilliant.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: May 09, 2012, 09:37:58 AM »

So, Shelter is both weak & brilliant depending on the reviewer? I guess the average makes it a fair-to-midlin song.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: May 09, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »

Oh man, we need previews ASAP

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: May 09, 2012, 10:10:36 AM »

So, Shelter is both weak & brilliant depending on the reviewer? I guess the average makes it a fair-to-midlin song.

i don't think so since it seems to be singled out by everyone in some way.  A middling song probably wouldn't get a mention.  it just seems to be polarizing!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: May 09, 2012, 10:46:23 AM »

There is usually always something to like in a Brian Wilson tune, so I'm hoping it falls on the side of brilliance or thereabouts.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2062 on: May 09, 2012, 11:26:20 AM »

if AGD doesn't like a song and someone else who is probably significantly less cynical does, I'm going to go with the latter's opinion.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2063 on: May 09, 2012, 11:31:19 AM »

Dunno if I'll want to listen to the inevitable 30 second samples or not....  Grin
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:32:46 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: May 09, 2012, 11:39:26 AM »

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #18 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)

#15 in Music > Rock
    #18 in Music > Pop

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: May 09, 2012, 12:17:30 PM »

I wrote earlier that I am quite partial to the more hoarse, soulful voice Mike's equipped with nowadays; there is an ace band, the best that ever backed the boys IMHO (Cowsill, Bragg, Sahanaja, all others bar Stamos); and there may be quite some unfinished songs that deserve to see the light of day (I am thinking the cover of 'Proud Mary', with those rising and falling choruses, from the Paley days).

Who knows? I wouldn't pass up an invitation to come to Pleasure Island, no siree...

Put "Waves of Love", "Still A Mystery", "Dancin' the Night Away", and "Proud Mary" on the next record and I'd be happy as a clam.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: May 09, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »

I don't think anyone knows. Brian has suggested he's interested in another album, and I think Al might have mentioned that too. It really depends on the record label, I would think, and if Brian has the support in place to record another album.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: May 09, 2012, 01:42:34 PM »

Question for those who have heard the new cd.... are all the songs 100% original (brand new) expect "daybreak" or have any of the songs/sections of songs evolved from demos that we have heard before Aka:save the day/fairytale, Christine/Living doll..etc?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: May 09, 2012, 01:51:54 PM »

Question for those who have heard the new cd.... are all the songs 100% original (brand new) expect "daybreak" or have any of the songs/sections of songs evolved from demos that we have heard before Aka:save the day/fairytale, Christine/Living doll..etc?

I would think that members who have heard it (ahem) would have been pretty clear if more of the album was recycled. Doesn't sound like it.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: May 09, 2012, 02:40:33 PM »

I sttill want to hear California Feeling completed and released as a full BB song.  There is that great track with Carl and Bruce to build on.  I wanted to hear this LIVE along with DFTS.   There are some really great loose ends sitting around even to this day.

Not to complain.  Just wishing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2070 on: May 09, 2012, 02:45:46 PM »

Couldn't say, as I have heard no such CD.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: May 09, 2012, 02:46:31 PM »

I sttill want to hear California Feeling completed and released as a full BB song.  There is that great track with Carl and Bruce to build on.  I wanted to hear this LIVE along with DFTS.   There are some really great loose ends sitting around even to this day.

i think al's version is definitive.  I don't need another version after that one
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: May 09, 2012, 04:03:29 PM »

i think al's version is definitive.  I don't need another version after that one

agreed

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: May 09, 2012, 04:27:27 PM »

Yup leave it at Al's version. I actually don't care for the song that much, it's always kind of bored me but it fits in rather nicely on Al's album and he sings it well.
   agreed
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: May 09, 2012, 05:01:28 PM »

Couldn't say, as I have heard no such CD.  Roll Eyes

Pedantry man, pedantry.

Question for those who've heard the advance review stream: are all the songs 100% original (brand new) expect "daybreak" or have any of the songs/sections of songs evolved from demos that we have heard before Aka: Save The Day/Fairytale, Christine/Living Doll..etc?

Grin

As for Cali Feeling mentioned in the posts above, I agree, Al's version is by far the best to date. I can never get over the line "pick a grapefruit from a grapefruit tree" though. Must be one of the clunkiest in the BBs repertoire.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx