gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:00:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1055836 times)
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: May 04, 2012, 07:32:19 AM »

I'm getting less and less excited about this. At least most people are impressed by the tour.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: May 04, 2012, 07:41:56 AM »

I'm getting less and less excited about this. At least most people are impressed by the tour.

Huh. Well, that was unexpected.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: May 04, 2012, 09:23:22 AM »

so a big reviewer saying it might be the best since sunflower is a downer?  and that track by track review says it has some great moments?  all downers eh.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: May 04, 2012, 09:26:42 AM »

guy from paste magazine isn't a fan
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: May 04, 2012, 09:34:33 AM »

May I be the first to say that I don't give a flying f*ck about what a series of more or less jaded reviewers in possession of advance copies are writing in that laughable 'medium' Twitter? Let them merrily blabber away, I will make up my own mind when I have the thing in my possession.

And after all, even the reception of Pet Sounds was lukewarm at best. Love You got panned in some quarters.

Listen to The Don at this point.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: May 04, 2012, 09:36:02 AM »

I think going into it the perception of magazine reviewers is against it being a good album.  it'll take a lot to get over that.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: May 04, 2012, 09:43:13 AM »

Going into it, my perception is against it being a good album too! But it sounds better than that, thankfully.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:41:11 AM by Wirestone » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: May 04, 2012, 09:45:33 AM »

Aye, doesn't one of these reviewers say he likes it more than S&Sv1? What kind of a statement is that?  It's like saying, "You're the best hog I've had since the last one, darling."

Meaningless.  But at least the reviewer gets to collect his paycheck. I mean pay packet. Cheque… wages… … whatever.

“We live in divisive times.”
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: May 04, 2012, 09:49:01 AM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/audio/2012/may/04/music-podcast-rolling-stones?CMP=twt_gu

Guardian doing a podcast, i think the middle is just about the beach boys.  One of them said they got an email in the middle of the night from another guardian reviewer who said some of the tracks are as good as anything they've done (then they joke he was probably a little drunk, so it had hyperbole lol)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:53:00 AM by Runaways » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1834 on: May 04, 2012, 10:23:43 AM »

May I be the first to say that I don't give a flying f*ck about what a series of more or less jaded reviewers in possession of advance copies are writing in that laughable 'medium' Twitter? Let them merrily blabber away, I will make up my own mind when I have the thing in my possession.

And after all, even the reception of Pet Sounds was lukewarm at best. Love You got panned in some quarters.

I agree with The Don. Cheesy  I like to form my own opinions using my ears and based on my questionable taste(s) in music.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1835 on: May 04, 2012, 10:42:15 AM »

I agree with The Don. Cheesy  I like to form my own opinions using my ears and based on my questionable taste(s) in music.

Yes, so do I.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: May 04, 2012, 11:02:28 AM »

so a big reviewer saying it might be the best since sunflower is a downer?  and that track by track review says it has some great moments?  all downers eh.

A big reviewer? Is he tall or fat? I could not give a rip about a big reviewer's opinion. I'm referring to what sounds like it has steel drums and horrible lyrics in places. That is the key for me. Some decent stuff with some crap sounds a lot like the bad years to me. It does not have to be a gem, but if I'm going to have to hit the skip button on several tracks I"M NOT GOING TO BE EXCITED about it. I've been doing that since 15 Big Ones. I thought the cheese was past everyone involved and was hoping none would be here this time.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: May 04, 2012, 11:11:39 AM »

A big reviewer? Is he tall or fat? I could not give a rip about a big reviewer's opinion. I'm referring to what sounds like it has steel drums and horrible lyrics in places. That is the key for me. Some decent stuff with some crap sounds a lot like the bad years to me. It does not have to be a gem, but if I'm going to have to hit the skip button on several tracks I"M NOT GOING TO BE EXCITED about it. I've been doing that since 15 Big Ones. I thought the cheese was past everyone involved and was hoping none would be here this time.

the steel drum song is written by mike love.  I think you should expect that.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1838 on: May 04, 2012, 11:11:57 AM »

Honestly I don't know why bands/artists/labels insist on sending out "advance copies" of albums. If they want the fans to decide themselves on the relative worth, enjoyment, and quality of any album or project, they would be better off setting *one* firm release date and have it be the only date the copies are shipped. They bellyache when someone leaks a copy, they watermark things and log tracking information on advance copies...releasing an advance single for broadcast is totally different, and a good promotions tool. But full albums? One release date for everyone, then everyone can form their own opinions of the work.

I base this on more than one album I've bought in the past and enjoyed very much after reading a negative "advance" review that almost made up my mind not to buy it before hearing it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: May 04, 2012, 11:18:40 AM »

I don't need no stinkin' Twitter.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1840 on: May 04, 2012, 11:33:05 AM »

Honestly I don't know why bands/artists/labels insist on sending out "advance copies" of albums. If they want the fans to decide themselves on the relative worth, enjoyment, and quality of any album or project, they would be better off setting *one* firm release date and have it be the only date the copies are shipped. They bellyache when someone leaks a copy, they watermark things and log tracking information on advance copies...releasing an advance single for broadcast is totally different, and a good promotions tool. But full albums? One release date for everyone, then everyone can form their own opinions of the work.

I base this on more than one album I've bought in the past and enjoyed very much after reading a negative "advance" review that almost made up my mind not to buy it before hearing it.

To be fair, no-one actually leaked the Smile box... they just said they'd heard it.  Capitol had that baby screwed down tighter than the Cohen of Silence.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: May 04, 2012, 11:36:25 AM »

Yes, so do I.

If you really believed that, what would be the point of reading your excellent book on The Beach Boys' music?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: May 04, 2012, 11:37:08 AM »

Perhaps there will be one of those advanced-streaming things, like what there was for BWPS.

Perhaps. Perhaps. Perhaps. (Sorry to get all Julie London on you there.)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1843 on: May 04, 2012, 11:42:50 AM »

Yes, so do I.

If you really believed that, what would be the point of reading your excellent book on The Beach Boys' music?

Not everyone is me (and that's a gooooooooooooooooood thing).

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: May 04, 2012, 11:47:44 AM »

so a big reviewer saying it might be the best since sunflower is a downer?  and that track by track review says it has some great moments?  all downers eh.

Given song titles "Spring Vacation" and "Beaches in Mind," I would advise against you purchasing the album to begin with.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:48:56 AM by Wirestone » Logged
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1845 on: May 04, 2012, 11:54:46 AM »

Yes, so do I.

There is a distinction, to me anyway, between music criticism that simply qualitatively assesses work and music analysis that  reveals depths of production, engineering, arrangement, and performance that can help us to better understand and enjoy the music.

By the same token, I don't know that I have ever read something that made me dislike an album I already enjoy. I have, however, read pieces that helped me appreciate certain aspects of an album more.

Even in the case of "Summer In Paradise," which I have never enjoyed, Mike Love's liner notes, which were recently posted in the "Has Mike ever commented about SIP" thread, made me understand where he and Melcher were coming from with that album. It helped me to appreciate the spirit behind the record that unfortuntely did not, in my opinion, transfer well to the actual recording.

Of course, when reading about an album that is yet to be released, reviews can colour one's assessment of said album. "Gone Troppo" is regarded by critics as George Harrison's nadir, but when I finally gave the record a fair shake after years of writing it off due to bad press, I realized that I enjoyed the record a lot more than I would have ever expected.

- B00ts
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: May 04, 2012, 12:03:54 PM »

Yes, so do I.

Not everyone is me (and that's a gooooooooooooooooood thing).

I agree!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: May 04, 2012, 12:08:47 PM »

some writer for the pittsburg post isn't a fan either.  SOUNDS LIKE WE'LL HAVE MIXED FEELINGS ON THE BOARD, i for one will know i'll dig it.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: May 04, 2012, 12:09:37 PM »

Honestly I don't know why bands/artists/labels insist on sending out "advance copies" of albums.

Because people that get free things want to make sure they keep on getting free things. Therefore, they will do what they have to do to make sure the free things keep on coming. That's how I remember the record business working when I was in it. I doubt things have changed too much in that regard.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: May 04, 2012, 12:10:23 PM »

Of course, when reading about an album that is yet to be released, reviews can colour one's assessment of said album. "Gone Troppo" is regarded by critics as George Harrison's nadir, but when I finally gave the record a fair shake after years of writing it off due to bad press, I realized that I enjoyed the record a lot more than I would have ever expected.

B00ts, you raise a very good point.  I happened to get into George's Gone Troppo just a couple of months ago, and it is one FINE album in every way.  Quite marvelous, in fact.  The "critics" totally missed the boat on that one.

eff Twitter, eff Paste Magazine, they sukk

I am looking forward to a damm fine album from the Freakin' Beach Boys!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx