gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:00:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1060768 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1450 on: April 24, 2012, 07:41:52 AM »

That's Why God Made the Radio is going to premiere on Mike and Mike in the Morning tomorrow on ESPN Radio.

Yeah, I’ll wait the extra few hours to buy the track for 99 cents on Amazon rather than listen to sports talk radio. The ten minutes of sportscasters I subjected myself to when attempting to hear the BB’s at the Dodgers game online a couple weeks ago was more than I needed for the next decade. I didn’t know it was possible for sports programming to get even more hyped, bloated, and annoying than it was ten or twenty years ago. 

I’m hoping perhaps Amazon will even have the download available late tomorrow (Wednesday) night as soon as 9pm-ish, at least here on the west coast.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: April 24, 2012, 07:43:11 AM »

Why exactly is the song premiering on a sports talk show?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: April 24, 2012, 07:47:10 AM »

Yeah, I’ll wait the extra few hours to buy the track for 99 cents on Amazon rather than listen to sports talk radio.

This.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Nicko1234
« Reply #1453 on: April 24, 2012, 07:52:32 AM »

I`m very pleased that they have chosen to record Mike`s Daybreak. This is imo the best song that he has ever written (on his own obviously) and if they were going to include any oldies then this would be the best choice.

Umh.. in my opinion Anything For You, I Don't Wanna Know and Glow Crescent Glow are superior but let's see what the BB magic can do!!

Maybe it depends on whether we`re talking about the original version of Daybreak or the (first) remake.

I Don`t Wanna Know and Glow Crescent Glow are both excellent as well anyway and if the BBs were to record the latter then I wouldn`t complain.
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: April 24, 2012, 08:00:56 AM »

Why exactly is the song premiering on a sports talk show?

Kevin Love probably hooked them up.

Seriously, they're on a ton of stations and simulcast on ESPN2.  Who knows if the label did some kind of deal with Disney or Mike and Mike are just big fans or what.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1455 on: April 24, 2012, 08:08:37 AM »

Don't forget Al's "Islands In the Sun".

Is this the song from the 1990s that AGD described as being in the Kokomo-style?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1456 on: April 24, 2012, 08:45:52 AM »

I`m very pleased that they have chosen to record Mike`s Daybreak. This is imo the best song that he has ever written (on his own obviously) and if they were going to include any oldies then this would be the best choice.

Umh.. in my opinion Anything For You, I Don't Wanna Know and Glow Crescent Glow are superior but let's see what the BB magic can do!!

Maybe it depends on whether we`re talking about the original version of Daybreak or the (first) remake.

I Don`t Wanna Know and Glow Crescent Glow are both excellent as well anyway and if the BBs were to record the latter then I wouldn`t complain.

The mid-2000s version of Too Cruel with Christian Love on vocals could've been a hit.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: April 24, 2012, 08:46:39 AM »

Don't forget Al's "Islands In the Sun".

[/quote

Is this the song from the 1990s that AGD described as being in the Kokomo-style?

Actually, Al described it that wasy in the new ESQ.  Yes, dates from teh 90's

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:49:07 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: April 24, 2012, 09:21:55 AM »

"Spring Vacation"?

Oh dear....

Could "Spring Vacation" be a left-over Pleasure Island song?  I seem to recall Brian outlining the "plot-line" for that album as a bunch of teens who go to an island for spring break and discover the magic of rock n' roll.  Or something like that.  TWGMTR would certainly fall into that category...maybe the new Beach Boys album has been built from the ashes of Pleasure Island?  Heck, it's a thought.  Cool Guy

Edit:  I see the Pleasure Island connection has already been brought up earlier.   LOL
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:24:22 AM by gsmile » Logged

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: April 24, 2012, 10:33:45 AM »

Quote from: Wirestone link=topic=12286.msg264772#msg264772 date=13352737 :hat31
That being said, it is Brian who wanted to record a follow-up to TLOS called "Pleasure Island." I always have to remind myself of that when I start feeling crabby about Mike's lyrical concepts ...
it could be a cool song about a huge orgy on an island with naked ladies and the like  Cool Guy so it MAY not  be that bad of a concept..
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: April 24, 2012, 10:46:10 AM »

Quote from: Wirestone link=topic=12286.msg264772#msg264772 date=13352737 :hat31
That being said, it is Brian who wanted to record a follow-up to TLOS called "Pleasure Island." I always have to remind myself of that when I start feeling crabby about Mike's lyrical concepts ...
it could be a cool song about a huge orgy on an island with naked ladies and the like  Cool Guy so it MAY not  be that bad of a concept..
Or it could be a rock opera about Pinocchio. Brian says that Surfer Girl was based on "When You Wish Upon A Star", so maybe the man has a Pinocchio obsession.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: April 24, 2012, 12:39:18 PM »

We'll have to see.  BTW the article doesn't absolutely say that will be on the album, it says it's one of the titles in contention.  I.E., a name Mike could think up on the spot for a reporter on that particular day. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: April 24, 2012, 12:52:17 PM »

We'll have to see.  BTW the article doesn't absolutely say that will be on the album, it says it's one of the titles in contention.  I.E., a name Mike could think up on the spot for a reporter on that particular day. 
Maybe they should name the new album "Capitol Picks". Since it sounds like they are choosing the tunes for inclusion.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: April 24, 2012, 01:08:47 PM »

Maybe they should name the new album "Capitol Picks". Since it sounds like they are choosing the tunes for inclusion.

That's already come out. About 30-40 times.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: April 24, 2012, 01:11:27 PM »

We'll have to see.  BTW the article doesn't absolutely say that will be on the album, it says it's one of the titles in contention.  I.E., a name Mike could think up on the spot for a reporter on that particular day.  

And here I thought I was being so original. Leave it to you to bust a man's bubble. What would I do without you. Wink
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:16:35 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: April 24, 2012, 01:13:33 PM »

And here I thought I was being so original. Leave it to you to bust a man's bubble. What would I do without you. Wink

D'awww, I'm just playin'. ^_^

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: April 24, 2012, 01:38:09 PM »

The new album seems to be titled IT'S ALL BRAND NEW. (edit: maybe this is a mistake - but the way the article puts it in italics....)

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2012/04/24/something-else-sneak-peek-beach-boys-thats-why-god-made-the-radio-2012/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:39:48 PM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1467 on: April 24, 2012, 01:42:04 PM »

The new album seems to be titled IT'S ALL BRAND NEW. (edit: maybe this is a mistake - but the way the article puts it in italics....)

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2012/04/24/something-else-sneak-peek-beach-boys-thats-why-god-made-the-radio-2012/

I kinda like that title. But then there shouldn't be no "She believes in love again"'s

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SBonilla
« Reply #1468 on: April 24, 2012, 01:50:35 PM »

I kinda like that title. But then there shouldn't be no "She believes in love again"'s
The orthodox brethren will agree.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: April 24, 2012, 01:51:21 PM »

Dear God I hope that's not the title - perhaps the reporter read Bruce's comments and incorrectly extrapolated from there?
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: April 24, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »

That title is everywhere on google from the last day.  It's probably legit.
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: April 24, 2012, 01:54:48 PM »

Dear God I hope that's not the title - perhaps the reporter read Bruce's comments and incorrectly extrapolated from there?

It worked pretty well for Nintendo

SBonilla
« Reply #1472 on: April 24, 2012, 01:57:09 PM »

Yes, it's their baby and they named it. Now let's bite our tongues and say how much the baby takes after its fathers and that we can't wait to hold it.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: April 24, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »

I kind of like it, it's better than Beach Boys 50 or whatever.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: April 24, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »

Yes, it's their baby and they named it. Now let's bite our tongues and say how much the baby takes after its fathers and that we can't wait to hold it.

Woah, woah, woah.

That is not the title. It's just not.

Bruce was quoted in Billboard talking about the contents of the album, and some sloppy web aggregators put two and two together and got 15. The Billboard article itself says that they haven't decided on a title yet.

http://www.billboard.com/news/beach-boys-album-it-s-all-brand-new-1006844362.story#/news/beach-boys-album-it-s-all-brand-new-1006844362.story

"Johnston says the album's first single, "That's Why God Made the Radio," was in contention to be the title track but was deemed too long, so alternatives are being considered."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx